EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Two Bloggers Released After Two Months' Imprisonment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Two Bloggers Released After Two Months' Imprisonment
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two Bloggers Released After Two Months' Imprisonment

Arabic Network for Human Rights Information (Cairo)
PRESS RELEASE
July 20, 2006
Posted to the web July 21, 2006

HRinfo welcomes the orders issued by the newly appointed public prosecutor to release the two prisoners of opinion, Mohammad Al-Sharqawy and Kareem Al-Shai'r, who have been unjustifiably jailed for two months. They were arrested for supporting the Egyptian judges' movement calling for judiciary independence.

The release orders were issued 18 July 2006. Al-Sha'ir and Al-Sharqawy were released on the night of 19 July, in a development that could be considered an attempt to correct an injustice. However, justice will not be done until the police officers of the Kasr El-Nil police station have been investigated for having tortured the two political activists.

Though Al-Sha'ir and Al-Sharkawy's lawyers have submitted several official requests for the investigation of the police officers responsible, and have requested, in their renewing sessions, that it be confirmed to them that action has been taken on the matter, the former public prosecutor took no such measures - nor did his deputy, the official who filed the arrest report against Al-Sharqawy.

"We hope that the newly appointed prosecutor will represent a change in policies, not only in name. The attitude of the former public prosecutor, who prolonged the regime of impunity in our country, immensely disappointed all supporters of democracy in Egypt. We demand the rule of law, not the rule of policemen," said Gamal Eid, HRinfo's executive director.

HRinfo recommends that the newly appointed public prosecutor begins enforcing the rule of law by releasing all Muslim Brotherhood's prisoners of opinion, including Dr. Essam El-Erian, Dr. Ibrahim Al-Za'farani, and other prisoners who are illegally detained; and by limiting the powers of the political police known as "State Security", which exerts excessive control over Egypt's political life.
http://allafrica.com/stories/200607210631.html

Some good news for a change [Smile]

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good news is... good [Wink]

Thank you for sharing.

Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonspice
Member # 5667

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonspice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate Egypt's POLICE AND GOVERNMENT sector. From the bottom of my heart. Nobody working there deserves the title he has. If only there was something to be done about it.
Posts: 604 | From: Cairo,Egypt | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lemonspice:
I hate Egypt's POLICE AND GOVERNMENT sector. From the bottom of my heart. Nobody working there deserves the title he has. If only there was something to be done about it.

[Frown] Very true..I'm reading a book abt the horrors of Egyptian prisons!! Ahhhhhh [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com