EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egyptian train collision kills 20

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian train collision kills 20
massenburg
Member # 10776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for massenburg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/21082006/6/n-world-egyptian-train-collision-kills-20.html

CAIRO (Reuters) - A collision between two trains killed at least 20 people and injured 131 on Monday in a Nile Delta town north of Cairo, Egypt's state MENA news agency said.
ADVERTISEMENT

About 25 ambulances rushed to the crash site, along with 1,000 people anxious for news of relatives who may have been injured or killed, a witness said, adding that damage to the trains was extensive.

The accident took place at about 7.30 a.m. local time near the town of Qalyoub, about 20 km (12 miles) north of Cairo, MENA said.

One train collided into the rear of another, causing one of them to derail and overturn.

The last major train accident in the country was in February, when 17 people were injured.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massenburg
Member # 10776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for massenburg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-08-21T074818Z_01_L21330896_RTRUKOC_0_UK-EGYPT-TRAINS.xml

Egyptian train collision kills 80

By Amr Abdallah

QALYOUB, Egypt (Reuters) - A collision between two trains killed 80 people and injured 131 on Monday in a Nile Delta town north of Cairo, a security source said, in Egypt's worst rail disaster since 2002.

About 25 ambulances rushed to the crash site, along with hundreds of bystanders and relatives anxious for news of passengers who might have been killed or injured, a witness said, adding that damage to the trains was extensive.

The accident took place at about 7.30 a.m. (5:30 a.m. British time) near the town of Qalyoub, about 20 km (12 miles) north of Cairo, official sources told the state news agency MENA. They said one of the drivers had apparently ignored railway traffic signals.

A Reuters photographer at the scene said one of the trains had derailed and was on its side. It had split into four parts and there were signs of a fire, he said.

MENA quoted official Egyptian sources as saying the death toll was at least 20. The crash happened when one train ran into the rear of another, causing one of them to derail and overturn.

It was the worst railway accident in Egypt since 2002, when about 360 people were killed when fire ripped through seven carriages of a crowded passenger train.

That accident was the worst in 150 years of Egyptian railway history, and led to the resignation of the transport minister and the head of the state railway system.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always the poor! [Frown]

God bless their souls.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
la 7awl wala kowat el bellah. my god why does this keep happening?

actually i know the answer

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:
actually i know the answer

Let me guess [Roll Eyes]

Mubarak?

[Big Grin]

(BTW, where is Auto?)

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tab3an and the corruption that is every part of the community
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw the news in the afternoon, it's devastating.

Very recently I read an article which mentioned that the UAE want to pump millions of US-$ into Egypt's old train system. If I find the link I'll post it later on.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was reading the history of egyptian train wrecks, there is major neglegience and overt ignoring of safety issues. the problem is that nobody in this country is held accountable for these things, in the west whoever manages these trains would be in INCREDIBLE trouble, thus prompting them to make safety a key issue.....there is something to be said for capitolism...
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Show Time
Member # 8513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Show Time     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ma3lesh ba2a , 7a2ak 3alleena , it is destiny, bokra,ya3nee heya el donya taret

What is pushing this country down and suffocating us is that indifference attitude... Thousands die on trains, roads, other thousands in the sea, other thousands in tombs called hospitals.
Careless drivers, captains, doctors, constructors, workers.....Egyptian's life worth 30 thousand Egyptian pound = $ 5235… if you lost a leg or an eye it worth 3000 pound = $523……So if we forget bout the money issue.. What is the punishment for those careless people, I don’t mean only the driver, or whatever; It is a chain of irresponsibility, a chain of lost blood among gangs ruling the country.

Posts: 627 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam, you are correct, of course. But the difference is the number of train crashes in the history of egypt (and those who have died therein) as opposed to other countries who have safer rail systems and impliment an ongoing routine inspection and testing.

But it is all the same with what a life is worth or what a leg or eye is worth, it's the same in other countries, as well. You're right, people need to have a chain of responsiblity and this needs to actually be ENFORCED.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katangah
Member # 11586

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katangah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's sad considering that Egypt was the first to have rail roads in the Mid East.
Posts: 217 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com