EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Was any one there for Ramses move ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Was any one there for Ramses move ?
katangah
Member # 11586

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katangah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maaaaan, I wish i was there ... [Frown]
Posts: 217 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no we watched it live on sky here in england ..moving ....
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
king-snefru
Member # 11670

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for king-snefru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a great event,, but unfortunatly I did not go, I did not have time.
I was so busy.
But I watched some of it on TV later.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
saw it on the telly too,
for me, it was a moving experience, lol

Ramses

--------------------
Egyptian haybosny Ah! Ah!

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katangah
Member # 11586

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katangah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen the square without it ... I guess only those living in Cairo can understand how this statue became part of Cairo culture. There were stories and jokes about it throughout generations. It was the first thing that greeted people from other towns and cities arriving in Cairo by Rail. I can understand why some got emotional. Especially at this time when so many changes are taking place in the region, it leaves some sense of abandonment. Some of the viewers were shouting "Don't leave us Grandpa" :-) Actually the crowd gathered to bid it farewell was the largest in Cairo for some 30 years.
Anyway, for the record, I was looking for anyone who has taken photos of the event. Couldn't find much on the web.

Posts: 217 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nubreed
Member # 11749

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nubreed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
guys,i've been there.it was a bit boring actually,u wait for like four hours just to get half an hour of watching [Smile] .i didn't follow the statue though.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Posts: 25 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by king-snefru:
It was a great event,, but unfortunatly I did not go, I did not have time.
I was so busy.
But I watched some of it on TV later.

I watched it on TV as well.

But does the Ramses Statue move really need a panel discussion that goes on for several hours? the panel spoke in Arabi so I don't know what was being said, but it appeared to be a lame discussion.

Went to see the pyramids, spinx and solar boats the next day after the "journey" ended but no Ramses in sight.

Would like to go back and see the Ramses when its been properly erected.

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candace
Member # 10177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't see it move, but I passed right beside in a taxi while I was going back home as they were preparing it. I would've wanted to watch it, but it was going to move about 2-3 hours after I passed and I was already dead tired...

I didn't even get to watch it on television.

My husband told me it cost something like 50 000 000 LE for the move! That's insane, if true!

Posts: 8 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com