EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Is this necessary?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this necessary?
Audrey Hepburn
Member # 11579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Audrey Hepburn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I may have read somewhere that if staying in Egypt for a period (4 months for me), that it is advisable to register with British Embassy? Did I read this or simply make it up. Lol. My head is usually in dream land, so not sure. [Big Grin]
Posts: 233 | From: uk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
king-snefru
Member # 11670

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for king-snefru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when I lived abroad I used to register my passport in the egyptian embassy where ever I go. specially when I stay in that country more than one month.
I think it is better to register at your embassy in cairo.
Good luck

Posts: 121 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Audrey Hepburn!

I always do register with the Embassy; it just means that they will know that you are in the country in case anything happens to you, and they will keep you informed of anything that happens in that could affect British nationals stay in the country. I have to say though that the British Embassy here isn't very good at that, I rarely get emails from them.

It's very easy to do as you can register through the website, so it's a wise precautionary move that doesn't take any effort: http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1062157948224 The actual page seems to be under maintainence at the moment though.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audrey Hepburn
Member # 11579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Audrey Hepburn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. Good also to know that I am not always in dream land...
Posts: 233 | From: uk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been here almost 4 years and never saw the need to register with anyone..... just updated my visa once a year!!!
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can register online. maybe even by phone to the consulate in Alex. They do send the odd invite to jumble sales etc, and cultural stuff.
might even get the occasional dire warning!Last one I got was SO blase, they said 'the US embassy is advising its nationals to stay indoors, WE however suggest you stay out of demonstrations' hahaha

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You get invitations to Jumble Sales and cultural stuff through the Embassy? Is that just in Alex, as I've never had anything like that here in Cairo...just the demonstration warning?
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ya Ragal
Member # 11695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ya Ragal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i lived there for 8 years and never registered
Posts: 377 | From: أنا نسيت | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nubreed
Member # 11749

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nubreed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well,formally you should.but who cares about what u should and shouldn't do,right? just enjoy ur time.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Posts: 25 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com