EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Non-Egyptians - Living in Egypt - What do you miss about your country? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Non-Egyptians - Living in Egypt - What do you miss about your country?
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snapdragon:

Let me guess you stayed or are staying in Hurghada or Sharm? It's not the same as living in a little city where I have been living.

Tanta is larger than Shebin for sure. What I like about small towns is everytime you go out to do some shopping they charge you the same as all other Egyptians because they know who your family is.

But the staring in small towns is aweful. Especially the guys, its like they haven't seen a foreigner before. Come to think of it they probably haven't. But with all those western designer clothes, they certainly worship the western world which makes me uneasy.

Raising your child in Egypt is no biggy. Just send them to foreign schools, drive them around in a car everywhere, send them to the best doctors, and make sure the basic infastructure of the community is western compatible.

Have you seen the Shrine of Saint Badawi yet? Its in Tanta and our driver for the Cairo excursion spoke about it. Read a few articles on the Saint Badawi Shrine and desperately want to see it. Its in Tanta.

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albino_Eskimo:

Raising your child in Egypt is no biggy. Just send them to foreign schools, drive them around in a car everywhere, send them to the best doctors, and make sure the basic infastructure of the community is western compatible.

..... when you are able to afford it.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:
Originally posted by Albino_Eskimo:

..... when you are able to afford it.
DUH!
Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, duh, many foreign women who are marrying Egyptians are not able to finance an education and everything else like that if they stay in Egypt. So it is a problem.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
smucks you are a genius babe
I will write that down I need it for a mousse.
mwah

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigerlilly, you're right. It's not always so easy just because you're foreign.
Jamsie, you're welcome, finding alternative ways to cook in Egypt is a challenge, I just wish I could find REAL sour cream !! I've been substituting yogurt !! [Frown]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gentle_giant
Member # 10863

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gentle_giant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jamsie Cottar:
crystal you are a DIAMOND!!!!
of the highest carat!!
cheers for that......
marmite here I come.
Now evaporated milk? anyone not condensed which is in abundance but eveporated...................?

Evaporated I got from Maadi Metro once (on the Agricultural road).

Marmite is also available at Kimo supermarket on road 210 near the main midan in maadi.

Posts: 177 | From: London | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
I don't care who you are or where you're from, you always miss home and family.

I dare to disagree. Not everyone does.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:
I don't care who you are or where you're from, you always miss home and family.

I dare to disagree. Not everyone does.
wow you don't miss your family or home?
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lagoudero
Member # 8711

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lagoudero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I miss is sitting in a cafe or a bar or a restaurant and drink whatever I like.Not coke or tea or juices. You see in my country its part of our culture for friends or families to sit around a table and have a glass of wine or ouzo accompanied by some meze ( small plates of something like appetizer) and talk,laugh, maybe dance.
But I dont miss the sterilized western cities where predominates the..law and the order and everything is shiny etc
I like Egypt the way it is ( I am here because I want to and anytime I like I can go back to my old job-when I ll get bored I shall do it) and I hate the westernization of the world (in order to sell some more mc donalds coka cola etc etc)

Posts: 11 | From: greece | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woooooooooooooooooooooo!!
Smuckers!! went to carrefour to get the dried milk and guess what?
They has evap!!!
I have been searching and asking for months and now they finally got tired of me asking.
it is made in saudi though but should be just the ticket!!!
LOL
Hubby getting the marmite as we speak from alpha!!

Heaven..........lalala
Im in heaven..........lalala
And my heart beat so tha I can hardly breathe!!!

banana face where are you? you love a song..........join in..........dee dee dee

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when I've worked and lived away from the UK, I didnt miss anything or my family, I mean I missed my family a little sometimes, but at one stage I didnt see them for 4 years, and it didnt really bother me. I dont know why, we are not estranged or anything, I guess I can live without them.
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A sad sad story I just have to share with you. A male collegue of mine died yesterday. He had cancer and he also had 2 small children. He married this summer because he knew he was going to die, so he wanted to marry he mother of his children before he died. As a last desperate hope they spent a lot of money on him going to a German "miracel" cancer hospital. Unfortunally they could help either and he then wanted to die at home insted. So all of his family- his parents and his wife and 2 young children went down to bring him home. He died on the way home in the car sothey had to drive 200 km with their dead son, father - husband.

All of the people in the office cried yesterday all day.

Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so sad. Makes me whinging on about my broken tooth in perspective doesn't it. What a journey in the car they must have had when he died.
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Jamsie Cottar:
Woooooooooooooooooooooo!!
Smuckers!! went to carrefour to get the dried milk and guess what?
They has evap!!!
I have been searching and asking for months and now they finally got tired of me asking.
it is made in saudi though but should be just the ticket!!!
LOL
Hubby getting the marmite as we speak from alpha!!

Heaven..........lalala
Im in heaven..........lalala
And my heart beat so tha I can hardly breathe!!!

banana face where are you? you love a song..........join in..........dee dee dee

wow EXCELLENT ! Hey, if you find Worchestire Sauce there LET ME KNOW !! I'm having withdrawls !!! [Frown]
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Tibe I am so sorry to hear that. But it was nice he died with his family and they explored every avenue to find a cure. Some people joked about the BIG C!! but only when it hits you or your family you find it is not a joke at all. I lost my best friend to it, she was 36 with a kids. She died with us all around her, peaceful.
I was just thinking how they would explain it to police if they were stopped for any reason? like crossing a border or something.
Puts everything in perspective a little doesn't it.................
chin up Tibe [Cool]

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
wow you don't miss your family or home?

I never miss my family, quite the opposite. I do miss home sometimes, or rather my friends, when I'm feeling down or during the first phase of living abroad; I think that's normal when you move to a new place where you don't know a single person. But I never got really homesick.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kouki
Member # 11713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kouki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aaah, poor Egypt
Posts: 47 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cinematic
Member # 11514

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cinematic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

* Smoking laws that people must follow.

I DON'T MISS THE CRIME! [Smile] But hey that is everywhere I guess these days.

This indicates that you are non-smoker. All non-smoker love this rule. And I hate it because Im a smoker.... I wish that I can be allowed to smoke anywhere I like [Big Grin] . I"m glad I'm in Egypt for that reason

I once missed my flight in Vienna becasue I had to go somewhere where I was allowed to smoke.
In europe or America we are treated like outcasts.

Egypt is considered to be one of the safest countries in the world. Is it still or did that change?

Posts: 484 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cinematic
Member # 11514

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cinematic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sara_uk:
lol smuckers, you miss rain, we have enough of it here in london. it has been very wet summer, iam sure i will not miss it ever

Oh I love summer rain in Europe.... it's beautiful
Posts: 484 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cinematic
Member # 11514

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cHiMpSs:
i miss the calling to prayer ,was wonderous and beautiful.

Huh? This is one noise that is everywhere in Egypt. I asked what do you miss about your country if you are LIVING in Egypt.
I'm sorry but I have to admit that the sound of calling to prayer annoys me a bit (really sorry, i hope i did not offend anyone)... I am a muslim but still.... If I want to pray I will without anyone telling me to do so & if i don't want to nobody can force me.
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Himself and I were having a conversation about Egypt last night, and we agreed that the only way for us to live in Egypt would be to "live well". To be able to afford the private schools, and nice things we are used to here in the US.

But he misses the Nile river ALOT. and I miss the HUGE giant family.

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
islamway
Member # 10368

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for islamway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cinematic:
quote:
quote:

Huh? This is one noise that is everywhere in Egypt. I asked what do you miss about your country if you are LIVING in Egypt.
I'm sorry but I have to admit that the sound of calling to prayer annoys me a bit (really sorry, i hope i did not offend anyone)... I am a muslim but still.... If I want to pray I will without anyone telling me to do so & if i don't want to nobody can force me.
If you dont need Azaan, Other Muslims need it to wake them to pray... SO, can we stop it because you are Ideal and know the time of prayers well...
Posts: 1007 | From: http://www.sultan.org | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by cinematic:
quote:
quote:

I know exactly what you mean, it is sometimes annoying. Not to mention it really sucks at morning prayer when the mosque speaker points directly at your bedroom window. I start to hate it here. I have been to the larger cities in Egypt and I'm still discouraged. I wonder what the percentage of foreigners who move to and stay in Egypt is...... I feel I'm getting depressed with this backward country and some of its people. [Frown]
gentle_giant
Member # 10863

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gentle_giant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smuckers, you need an outlet. For me it's driving, but you've gotta find something else. Voodoo perhaps? Clay work? Jewlery making? How far out of Cairo are you? Are there any other Khawagas out there?

--------------------
Happiness is a choice!

Posts: 177 | From: London | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Yeah there's a couple here, one from Florida in this city and another girl is Romanian, I just feel...... frustrated. [Frown]
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BC0rTlKTNY8
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunburnt
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunburnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found shredded wheat spoonsize down in Maadi Carrefour
Posts: 167 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CairoStudent
Member # 10528

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CairoStudent   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss acrylic manicures,

american dryers for clothes...

walking in a forest,

keeping my dog off the leash - can't do that in Egypt...

miss rolling a fat joint to smoke in the park...

being friendly to men because they don't take it the wrong way...

miss good pizza...

Gucci, Louis Vuitton - can't get the real thing in Cairo...

Cleanliness, bathrooms with soap... men who open doors...

Police officers who make me feel safe...

Miss driving freely without checkpoints...

Miss high quality of Western universities... and true academics

Miss my car ...

--------------------
BLAME CANADA

Posts: 214 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

yea, those are good ones Cairostudent [Wink]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by CairoStudent:

miss rolling a fat joint to smoke in the park...

Hey, Smuckers, anytime. It's been a long time!
seabreeze
Member # 10289

LOL I wonder which country he was sitting in to be able to openly roll a fat joint in the park?? Maybe Amsterdam ?? [Confused]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com