EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Non - Gel/liquid lotion or cream

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Non - Gel/liquid lotion or cream
Snapdragon
Member # 9036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snapdragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am leaving Egypt soon to return home and the rules for the FAA restrict any liquid or gel items in carry-ons.

I want to carry toothpaste and lotion/cream. Does anyone know of a brand here in Egypt that is NON cream/gel. I guess like a powder form.

Thanks!

Posts: 525 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nubreed
Member # 11749

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nubreed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well there's a toothpowder called "EVA".check carrefourre.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Posts: 25 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snapdragon
the news said that if you buy it in the departure lounge from the airport shop it is allowed on board. Passengers were taking soft drinks and sweets etc. That was Heathrow so I guess they probably all must be the same?
If not as nubreed said they have little tiny powder toothpastes in all the pharmacies EVA is one name, and for lotion I would buy the wet wipes that have the baby lotion on them Johnsons, pampers etc, then you just chuck it away. More convenient.

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snapdragon
Member # 9036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snapdragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for both the answers about the toothpaste and baby wipes with lotion.

More Tea Vicar...Unfortunately, since 8/18/06 the FAA (go to www.faa.gov) has prohibited a whole list of liquid/gel items for any flights going into the USA and UK is even worse as they will even do a manual hand search of every carry-on. It is such a shame this has to be done and it has come to this in our world.

quote:
Originally posted by more tea vicar ?:
Snapdragon
the news said that if you buy it in the departure lounge from the airport shop it is allowed on board. Passengers were taking soft drinks and sweets etc. That was Heathrow so I guess they probably all must be the same?
If not as nubreed said they have little tiny powder toothpastes in all the pharmacies EVA is one name, and for lotion I would buy the wet wipes that have the baby lotion on them Johnsons, pampers etc, then you just chuck it away. More convenient.

Posts: 525 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only flights into the US are or were affected by the total ban on liquid/gel items in hand luggage. Flights leaving the UK for anywhere except the US were allowed to take liquid/gel items in hand luggage provided they were purchased in the Airport shops AFTER security because those items will have been cleared for security.
Also, the last time I flew into the US the airline itself provided a really nice "comfort pack" which included wet wipes, toothbrush and toothpaste, amongst other things.
I suggest you check with Cairo airport as to what there current regulations are.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snapdragon
Member # 9036

I am going to the USA from Egypt with connections in Spain. The items prohibited are on a list at the FAA website. They are strict now and I don't want to take any chances with additional hold-ups. Since the incidents in the UK a few weeks ago they made it even more strict as of 8/16/06 for all flights going into the US and UK.

Thanks! [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:
Only flights into the US are or were affected by the total ban on liquid/gel items in hand luggage. Flights leaving the UK for anywhere except the US were allowed to take liquid/gel items in hand luggage provided they were purchased in the Airport shops AFTER security because those items will have been cleared for security.
Also, the last time I flew into the US the airline itself provided a really nice "comfort pack" which included wet wipes, toothbrush and toothpaste, amongst other things.
I suggest you check with Cairo airport as to what there current regulations are.

tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
snapdragon,
It was on bbc news. I'm sure you will be able to board if you buy it air side.
As Shareen says check with cairo airport or your airline.
The airport toilets have the little packs of toothpaste thing in a dispenser. I think it goes on your finger???
If not buy tons of chewing gum!! LOL

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snapdragon:
I am going to the USA from Egypt with connections in Spain. The items prohibited are on a list at the FAA website. They are strict now and I don't want to take any chances with additional hold-ups. Since the incidents in the UK a few weeks ago they made it even more strict as of 8/16/06 for all flights going into the US and UK.

Thanks! [Smile]

quote:

Try using that Trident whitening gum.

I had the first work done to remove a wisdom tooth , so I have a mouth that cannot chew much at all. about 15lbs have been dropped in the last 5 days since it was done, so my teeth didn't really need a brushing during travel because anything I injest is through a fricking straw!

But the Trident gum should help, and using dental floss.

But I did cheat. I squirted a significant amount of hand lotion into a plastic bag and that got past security.

The frozen Kofta mix and the pumpkin seeds were confiscated when I reached the USA. And I called every airline I had my tickets through to make sure the two items were kosher, but obviously customs had a different idea.

I know how you feel, the restrictions are aweful. I appluad you for chosing the Spanish layover. The Dutch are a bunch of a-holes, my mother and I were questioned for over 15 minutes before boarding the flight to the USA and 30 questions were personal and not related to security at all.

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snapdragon
Member # 9036

quote:
Originally posted by Albino_Eskimo:
quote:
Originally posted by Snapdragon:

Thanks! [Smile]

quote:

Try using that Trident whitening gum.

I had the first work done to remove a wisdom tooth , so I have a mouth that cannot chew much at all. about 15lbs have been dropped in the last 5 days since it was done, so my teeth didn't really need a brushing during travel because anything I injest is through a fricking straw!

But the Trident gum should help, and using dental floss.

But I did cheat. I squirted a significant amount of hand lotion into a plastic bag and that got past security.

The frozen Kofta mix and the pumpkin seeds were confiscated when I reached the USA. And I called every airline I had my tickets through to make sure the two items were kosher, but obviously customs had a different idea.

I know how you feel, the restrictions are aweful. I appluad you for chosing the Spanish layover. The Dutch are a bunch of a-holes, my mother and I were questioned for over 15 minutes before boarding the flight to the USA and 30 questions were personal and not related to security at all.

Oh Yeah KLM is bad now! Back in 2003 I took a flight from Cairo to US and was stopped for over 45 minutes with why, where, who I was with in Egypt. They did a body search, shoe search, handbag search (even after the security monitoring) and I felt soooo violated. I used to love KLM, needless to say , no more for me. Thanks for the tips. I found the powder toothpaste - wonder how wonderful it tastes LOL, powder deodrant and baby wipes but I still want that lotion. Hmmm sneaking some in a plastic bag. Hey how thorough did they check your handbag? I can throw it away on the plane before landing in the USA. It is just from Cairo to up to that point that I want the lotion....Thanks!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com