EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » vegeterian meals

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: vegeterian meals
sunburnt
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunburnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where in the Zamalek and Mohadaseen area can I get good vegetarian meals, got a friend coming for a week and she doesnt eat meat
Posts: 167 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatisch für die Leute
Member # 7291

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Automatisch für die Leute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sunburnt:
she doesnt eat meat

Sorry..... [Big Grin]
Posts: 83 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are lots of places where you can get good vegetarian food. If you take your friend to an Egyptian or Lebanese restaurant she can order several appetizers instead of a main course, that's what I always do, and I never leave hungry or dissatisfied.
[Smile]

Raoucha and Kandahar on Midan Sphinx - excellent Indian food, lots of vegetarian choices

Sequoia in Zamalek - Egyptian food with a nice view on the Nile

Abou el Seid in Zamalek - Egyptian food

Chopsticks in Mohandessen – Chinese food, lots of vegetarian choices

Cedars in Mohandesseen – Lebanese food and a big terrace where you can sit and watch Cairo's young and beautiful [Wink]

Tabboula in Garden City - yummy Lebanese food in a nice setting

L'Aubergine in Zamalek - vegetarian, European-style food.
I know L'Aubergine is often recommended for vegetarian food but I've been utterly disappointed every time I had dinner there.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Where in the Zamalek and Mohadaseen area can I get good vegetarian meals,

Anywhere where there's koshari sold [Cool]
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
There are lots of places where you can get good vegetarian food. If you take your friend to an Egyptian or Lebanese restaurant she can order several appetizers instead of a main course, that's what I always do, and I never leave hungry or dissatisfied.
[Smile]

Raoucha and Kandahar on Midan Sphinx - excellent Indian food, lots of vegetarian choices

Sequoia in Zamalek - Egyptian food with a nice view on the Nile

Chopsticks in Mohandessen – Chinese food, lots of vegetarian choices

Cedars in Mohandesseen – Lebanese food and a big terrace where you can sit and watch Cairo's young and beautiful [Wink]

Tabboula in Garden City - yummy Lebanese food in a nice setting

L'Aubergine in Zamalek - vegetarian, European-style food.
I know L'Aubergine is often recommended for vegetarian food but I've been utterly disappointed every time I had dinner there.

Actually I think (correct me if im wrong) egyptian dont eat much met. Or at least not as much as we do in Europe. Lot of rice and vegetable in general.
Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plenty as Dalia said, what about fish? do you eat fish? there are plenty fish restaurants around too.
Tibe yes we eat lots more vegetables and pulses here. Not so much meat so a much healthier diet really [Wink]

Some eat Koshari...........it is about the price of a can of coke so only the very poor, or the lower classes would take a friend out as a treat to a koshari place. It is a rice, pasta, lentil and tomato dish.

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People eat meat when they can afford it. To be a declared vegetarian in Egypt you get looked down, people don't understand why some others would refuse to eat any kind of meat.

Sunburnt, depending on the restaurants they have entries without meat, salads or your friend just orders a main menu and doesn't touch the meat. And make sure you are NOT driving by at the meatplaces where half animal bodies hanging out in the sun.....

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm a HUGE Abul Sid Fan! They serve the best koshari and other traditional Egyptian foods there, many of which are vegetarian dishes. And the place is so great! You have only classy Egyptians and foreigners. No Egy- or Euro-trash bugging you. [Wink]

It costs a fortune to eat there though. I don't know what your budget is, but expect something like a 100-200 LE per person.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
You have only classy Egyptians and foreigners. No Egy- or Euro-trash bugging you. [Wink]

"Classy" as you are? You are such a snob!
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm a HUGE Abul Sid Fan! They serve the best koshari and other traditional Egyptian foods there, many of which are vegetarian dishes.

Although I love kushari I never eat it there. I find it a bit bizarre to pay about 16 LE for a portion, and I don't find their kushari that great at all. I've had much better ones from small street restaurants.

Btw, have you been to the Abou el Seid in Maadi? They have a lovely courtyard, it's wonderful for sitting outside in summer.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShipShip
Member # 10157

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShipShip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:
You have only classy Egyptians and foreigners. No Egy- or Euro-trash bugging you. [Wink]

[Roll Eyes]

If you ain't liking certain posters don't read them posts fucktard. I'm sick of you all spoiling the threads. Aren't you married to a war criminal and showing off with him in the streets? What you doin then sayin kosharis a snob? Shut the **** up fucktard.
Posts: 96 | From: Egypt | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Zoom:
fucktard

ROFL!!

Zoom, (Zoom [Confused] ), don't let them get on your nerves. Just ignore them.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

I'm a HUGE Abul Sid Fan! They serve the best koshari and other traditional Egyptian foods there, many of which are vegetarian dishes.

Although I love kushari I never eat it there. I find it a bit bizarre to pay about 16 LE for a portion, and I don't find their kushari that great at all. I've had much better ones from small street restaurants.

Btw, have you been to the Abou el Seid in Maadi? They have a lovely courtyard, it's wonderful for sitting outside in summer.

No haven't been to Maadi's one yet.

I know it's very expensive, but I'm very concerned about the hygiene, so I'd rather pay more money than get sick.

Although I've actually never been sick of/from eating in Egypt, I know many people who contracted Hepatitis from big places like Mo'men. Can you believe that!!

Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

If you ain't liking certain posters don't read them posts fucktard. I'm sick of you all spoiling the threads. Aren't you married to a war criminal and showing off with him in the streets? What you doin then sayin kosharis a snob? Shut the **** up fucktard.
MK is a snob but she is still is not on "your level" - your just a braindead lame cruel idiot.....Her husband is out serving his duty and protecting people. And you refering to him as a warcriminal is below deep **** stardard even for a moron like you!
Atleast I suspect MK for having a brain.

Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunburnt
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunburnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now how on earth can you say where you contracted hepititis? I have had it and have no idea where it was picked up, the doctor also told me not to worry as it is very common in Egypt and the middle east, also once you have had it you can't get it again
Posts: 167 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Now how on earth can you say where you contracted hepititis? I have had it and have no idea where it was picked up, the doctor also told me not to worry as it is very common in Egypt and the middle east, also once you have had it you can't get it again

I didn't get hepatitis, but when one meets hundreds of hepatitis patients within a short period who all have eaten at one place, then it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

There are several types of hepatitis, and you can get it more than once, and one type is even more deadly than HIV.

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaaaah ... Abul Sid.

The mention of Abul Sid brings excessive feelings of europhia all gushing in at once. The molokhiya at Abul Sid is nothing less than heavenly. Yummy Yummy.

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by _Masrawi_:
Aaaaah ... Abul Sid.

The mention of Abul Sid brings excessive feelings of europhia all gushing in at once. The molokhiya at Abul Sid is nothing less than heavenly. Yummy Yummy.

HOLY BUGGING SHITTING MOLY!!

Is it really MASRAWI or plastic?

LULULULULULUULULULULULULULULULULULULUULYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

(GETTING MY BREATH BACK)

The mention of molokheyya bel "ANareb" makes me want to run to Schiphol and catch the first plane.

(Drooling in my pants)

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Aaaaah ... Abul Sid.

HOLY BUGGING SHITTING MOLY!!

Is it really MASRAWI or plastic?

LULULULULULUULULULULULULULULULULULULUULYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

(GETTING MY BREATH BACK)

The mention of molokheyya bel "ANareb" makes me want to run to Schiphol and catch the first plane.

(Drooling in my pants)

It's the new and enhanced Masrawi ... don't they look real, darling?

How are you MK? Did I miss any serious cat fights while i was gone?

I personally prefer their Molokhiyya with chicken more. I especially like the way they grill their chicken. Moreoever, the combination of Molokhiyya with the red onions in vinegar and the red sauce was a first for me. I mean, we've all had molokhiyya at home, but it was just never prepared the same way it was at Abul Sid.

Darn, I am regretting not dropping by Abul Sid this summer.

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
It's the new and enhanced Masrawi ... don't they look real, darling?

ROFL.. Yeah they do, I almost wanna sing Chef's Chocolate Salty "best assets" song right now. [Big Grin]

quote:
How are you MK? Did I miss any serious cat fights while i was gone?
Ya lahwi ya Masrawi it was never that fierce before. Hate is still in the air though, so you can still enjoy some of the Tense Loathing Cursing flying around.

quote:
I personally prefer their Molokhiyya with chicken more. I especially like the way they grill their chicken. Moreover, the combination of Molokhiyya with the red onions in vinegar and the red sauce was a first for me. I mean, we've all had molokhiyya at home, but it was just never prepared the same way it was at Abul Sid.

Darn, I am regretting not dropping by Abul Sid this summer.

Okay that was the straw.. Off to book a flight to Cairo.

See you later.

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Okay that was the straw.. Off to book a flight to Cairo.

See you later.

I left with every intention of going back to visit before the end of the year ... I am aiming at Christmas time.

But hey, if u r about to book then mish hawaseeki ... molokhiyya to go ... to be shipped to:

Masrawi Bil Ism
1 Mish Tayi2
Toronto, Canada

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Masrawi Bil Ism
1 Mish Tayi2
Toronto, Canada

(Doing CPR on myself!)
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

Ha, got you again, DUDE! Certainly not the talk of a woman or better 'unknown model', isn't it?

And you know who I think you are really are? I believe you are that Egyptian photographer guy sitting somewhere in Canada. So sad that mother nature treated you unkind and didn't let you become a woman (but don't worry you can still were your stilettos in the darkness at home [Wink] )

Now go and hang out with MK, you both are just alike...... [Big Grin]

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
To be a declared vegetarian in Egypt you get looked down, people don't understand why some others would refuse to eat any kind of meat.

Mmh ... not sure whether they look down upon you, but they definitely think you're weird. Since I'm regarded as weird by Egyptian standards anyway I don't mind. [Big Grin]

But despite this, the Egyptians I know have always been very respectful regarding my choice of diet, even though they think I'm crazy. If I go out with friends they are always worried whether I will find something to eat; if I'm invited to someone's house they always ask me whether I want something special and whether there's enough for me.

Also - the Coptic Christians follow a vegetarian (or rather: vegan) diet on many days of the year and it's not unusual for them to ask for meat or dairy free meals in a restaurant.

ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Dalia.Im also vegetarian and i have never found it difficult to find something to eat here at all.I usually eat appetizers(salads,samboosak..),and i eat fish too,but only in fish restaurants.
About food poisoning,well,MK,u dont need to eat in `low class` places to get it.I had it 5 times in the past 2 yrs.The restaurants that i got ill from:Jaita,Planet Africa,Cortegano,Kentucky(salad),Foodruckers.unfortunately.
People think i eat salad 24/7 ,coz they cant imagine there are dishes out there without meat.I even make veggie burgers,so im not missing meat at all
Ciao

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunburnt,
You'd better go to the market, buy you're own food and cook for yourself and you're friend. Especially salads and other 'raw' vegetables can be contaminated. Whenever in Egypt I keep myself and kids to a diet of stews and soup, with or without meat, as long as it is at least properly cooked. If I want a bite I cook carrots and rettich some minutes before I consume them.
Stick to fabrically produced juices or cook you're fruits for a short while before making juice. Even MacDonald made my interior a rollercoaster some day.

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Ha, got you again, DUDE! Certainly not the talk of a woman or better 'unknown model', isn't it?

And you know who I think you are really are? I believe you are that Egyptian photographer guy sitting somewhere in Canada. So sad that mother nature treated you unkind and didn't let you become a woman (but don't worry you can still were your stilettos in the darkness at home [Wink] )

Now go and hang out with MK, you both are just alike...... [Big Grin]

Ya lahwi 3al ghaba2!

PUHLEEEEZZ!

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Forgot to add something.. Although the traditional Egyptian kitchen has lots of vegetarian meals, meat is a basic ingredient for the families that can afford it. The meat dish (actually different types for different tastes on daily basis) was unmissable on the table of my parents' house and mine.

Please don't be offended by how Egyptians think about not eating meat on daily basis, because only those families whose income is about the price of a can of coke, so only the very poor, or the lower classes would be on vegetarian diet in Egypt.

Sorry but Egyptians (and stupid foreigners) are obsessed with classicism, and according to them, your class is what you eat!

But who gives a damn about those farts, VIVA la Koshari!!

[Wink]

DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Molokheyya is the one thing that I cannot eat!! (Its about the only thing!)
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by DawnBev:
Molokheyya is the one thing that I cannot eat!! (Its about the only thing!)

Many foreigners hate Molokheya . I guess because it doesn't look very pleasant and a bit too slimy.

While eating it, try to avoid thinking of snot and you will love it.

DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
impossible!!!!!!!!!! ROFL!
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunburnt
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
Lol friend is here and why I thought she is a vegeterian I don't know, eating meat by the kilo
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Lol friend is here and why I thought she is a vegeterian I don't know, eating meat by the kilo

MOAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

EHE EHE EHE

EHE

HEE

(TEARS)

Should we start some charity funds for you? [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com