EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Increasingly costs or disposable consumer soceity?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Increasingly costs or disposable consumer soceity?
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed several items I had bought a few years back and inched up in price. Even when buying them in the same town at the same store. Take for instance men's underclothing, 4 years ago 1.5LE for each piece, now its 9LE. A woman's tunic was 45LE and now its 90LE.

And I noticed people don't buy quality because quality is hard to find in respects to children's products. Just buy as cheap as you get and buy the same thing next week. While the same product bought in the USA will last through 5 children.

Why has it become a consumption based market and increasingly expensive at the same time?

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albino_Eskimo:
Why has it become a consumption based market and increasingly expensive at the same time?

Same reason why you have a 5-star rating: No one has the slightest idea.

Your question answers itself Sono!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inflation boomed during the early 1980s. Many products are under price control, especailly if produced within Egypt (most of the products I buy).

And privatization has boomed as well in the last few years.

Yet I truly see people living better. UNESCO and USAID reports complete this view.

Still its raw to come over with a fixed spending cash amount and have to have King Kong western union double the amount you brought over.

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Still its raw to come over with a fixed spending cash amount and have to have King Kong western union double the amount you brought over.

Set the Egyptian economy aside Sono, I'm more curious about where King Kong got the frigging cash!
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:

Set the Egyptian economy aside Sono, I'm more curious about where King Kong got the frigging cash!
He always says he's broke but....

Working two jobs both with overtime means he has money somewhere. He just lies when he says he's broke.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Yet I truly see people living better. UNESCO and USAID reports complete this view.

Links please. Or are you a big shot insider? [Wink]
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:

Links please. Or are you a big shot insider? [Wink]
Read these a while ago, but within the last year. Some of it was from books.

I am not an insider, but I do manage to build up a nice resevoir of notes. Sooner or later I'll have to build up that database of notes and reports I have stuffed away under my desk in paper form.

My apprehension and eternal wait for relocating has forced me to do a thorough research into what I have got myself into in regards to relocating.

And because I have a lowly bachelors degree my research organizational skills are abysmal, though I do have great material.

ThePinkCamel
Member # 11718

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThePinkCamel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Egypt suffering some inflastion after the floating of the pound? Coupled with the higher costs of gasoline, most markets are starting to feel the squeeze and prices are gradually rising all over. In the USA we have managed to absorb the rising fuel costs to some extent - by cutting down on driving and eliminating unnecessary items. We have a bit more disposable income than Egypt so we have been able to hold off inflation longer. If prices keep rising though, we are going to be in sorry shape. Already elminating unnecessary purchases haa decreased our standard of living.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find the 'disposable consumer society' I experience distasteful. Nothing seems to be made to last anymore, such as TVs, washing machines, etc. If anything breaks down, the parts are apparently too expensive to replace, I'm told its cheaper to throw away and buy new. This really annoys me. I dont always want to buy new, I'm not bothered about designer ware, fancy names and goods, as long as something works, thats fine. All this upgrading of computer ware as well ........... in homes, offices worldwide. Where does all the thrown away stuff go? What will we do when all the landfill sites are gone?
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only am I redundant and superfluous, but I also tend to use more words than necessary, therefore, I choose not to get involved [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com