EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Status Symbols in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Status Symbols in Egypt
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course we all know that we're 80 million show offs [Big Grin]

Let's talk about status symbols in Egypt!

What do Egyptians show off with?

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... educational progress is the most thing that I hear about in my parent's social circle.Theirs and there kids'.

My sister's social circle; travelling-for shopping purposes of course.

My social circle, Louis vuitton latest bags and diamond rings-mainly presents from husbands. AS IF!!!

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ngeg:
Hmmm... educational progress is the most thing that I hear about in my parent's social circle.Theirs and there kids'.

My sister's social circle; travelling-for shopping purposes of course.

My social circle, Louis vuitton latest bags and diamond rings-mainly presents from husbands. AS IF!!!

Great [Big Grin]

What else?

Is plastic surgery a status symbol in Dubai ya Ngeg? I know most of the Lebanese ladies have had stuff done, and it always shows!!

And Cine and Crystal? Input please!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cinematic
Member # 11514

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cinematic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking English........ LOL

Educational progress.... that's right... my granda is showing off with his second doctorate degree [Big Grin]

--------------------
cinematic

Posts: 484 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naaaaaaaaaah
They still pretend it's natural. Come on if hayfaa said on TV -in public keda- women are jealous dah gamal tabi3i!! then they all believe they could do the same!!!

--------------------
Same crap...Different toilet

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
ESTANOOOOOOO
THE TURKISH ORIGINS!!

--------------------

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ESTANOOOOOOO
THE TURKISH ORIGINS!!

[Big Grin]

How could you forget THAT!!

[Roll Eyes] - "M3y g3r3and ma3 w3as o3orig3inally, o3orig3inally, T(sh)urk3ish"

Moahahahahahahahahahahahaah!

cinematic
Member # 11514

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cinematic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Naaaaaaaaaah
They still pretend it's natural. Come on if hayfaa said on TV -in public keda- women are jealous dah gamal tabi3i!! then they all believe they could do the same!!!

yes they deny it.... i was just gonna say that
Athough it's too damn obvious.
im disappointed that on ES there isnt enough Emoticons

Posts: 484 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by cinematic:

Is speaking French out?

I see only women with bad hair dyes showing off with their French.

"Vou3les vous3 koo3 koo3 tarabattatous"

Could there be any connection or am I just being autistic? [Razz]

Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Servants!
My friend brought 3 nannies for her baby when we were having lunch last year at chilis! Kont banhar men de7k begad. The 3 were from different ctys!!!! yesa7 keda?

--------------------

cinematic
Member # 11514

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:

Is speaking French out?

I see only women with bad hair dyes showing off with their French.

"Vou3les vous3 koo3 koo3 tarabattatous"

Could there be any connection or am I just being autistic? [Razz]

Yes Koshary.... it happens to me all time when i go shopping... i find a mother talking to her daughter in french... even though they are Egyptians... oh my god... the way they do it is funny... they are clearly showing off.... & when they see another Clean Egyptian around they start doing this as a competiton to show who's Cleaner [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Suitors chasing daughters and girls throwing themselves at sons'feet!!

--------------------

Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
How much money they spent on bribes-especially when renewing the driving license!
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
How much money spent to get Dina to bellydance at that fairy tale wedding...

--------------------

cinematic
Member # 11514

Rate Member
Men show off with their cars... especially the rich ones.... my ex (we r still freinds) has a Porche & he feels inferior if another guy had a Lamborghini

--------------------
cinematic

Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
quote:
Men show off with their cars... especially the rich ones.... my ex (we r still freinds) has a Porche & he feels inferior if another guy had a Lamborghini

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Maskeeeen akher 7aga!!

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Clean, Cleaner [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

ROFL
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

My ex (if you would like to call him an ex, because I don't know if what we had was a relationship), had a 132 nebeety, but as he emerged out of it, it turned into a Ferrari in my eyes..

[Roll Eyes]

Forget the shitty 132, he was the most beautiful man I had ever seen. Very dark, almost black, tall and strong, with muscles better than Hercules.

When my mom saw him she said: "Ya3 bet7ebby wa7ed Hindi?"

[Big Grin]

cinematic
Member # 11514

Rate Member
hehhehehehehe... ur mom & dad are so funny when they comment on BF

--------------------
cinematic

Nubreed
Member # 11749

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nubreed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

and gals here show off with stuff that goes like "my ex had so and so,or used to do so and so"
Posts: 25 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nubreed
Member # 11749

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nubreed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here goes:
my ex used to dine at the Nile Plaza every thursday.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Posts: 25 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Nubreed:
quote:

and gals here show off with stuff that goes like "my ex had so and so,or used to do so and so"
very very very witttttttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Sorry darlings laken dih comedy awi!

antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

وبعدين صحيتي من النوم علي صياح الديك كوكو في الفجرية

then you get up by the male hen voice saying koko koko [Roll Eyes]

علي فكرة انا أخر حاجة سمعت عليها في البلد الفيات ميع سبعة و عشرين
btw, the last thing i hear is fiat 127

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cinematic
Member # 11514

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Nubreed:
quote:

It's true [Big Grin]
but i didnt mean to show off on this thread... i just meant to show that rich Egyptians like to show of with their cars & belongings..... i am just talking from my experience

focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for focus683     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I noticed is dogs. Boys just love to show off with their dogs and have their friends gather around them. My god everytime I see it I just laugh, although it gets me furious at times that people consider them as way to be cool and show off rather than a pet.

This one time I saw a guy with a dog standing in front of a girls school and the girls were coming out and he's looking at them like I have a dog how cool is that. [Big Grin]

Posts: 169 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Status symbols in Egypt?

For some it's foreign wives.....

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other things are owning this or that company, being a relative of a famous person in the business, political or entertainment world (and use it for own advantages), having memberships for diverse sports clubs in Cairo, owning a house on the north coast and a villa outside of Cairo......
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by focus683:
One thing I noticed is dogs. Boys just love to show off with their dogs and have their friends gather around them. My god everytime I see it I just laugh, although it gets me furious at times that people consider them as way to be cool and show off rather than a pet.

This one time I saw a guy with a dog standing in front of a girls school and the girls were coming out and he's looking at them like I have a dog how cool is that. [Big Grin]

That's interesting to know but believe me you also find this in other countries. Although I would like to know what kind of breeds in specific? I can't imagine that an masculine Egyptian guy tries to show off with a Pekinese or Shih-Tzu rather with a Doberman or Pitbull, right?

What do you think, how well take the owners care of their pets in general?

One last question: Any obedience schools/trainers available in Cairo or Egypt? Or is it still an undiscovered market since Egyptians are usually not so fond of dogs in general?

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
"The son of the aunt of the brother of the sister-in-law of the neighbor of the grandpa of the uncle of my husband, studies at the AUC."

[Big Grin]

*Souri*
Member # 9095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Souri*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i find a mother talking to her daughter in french... even though they are Egyptians... oh my god... the way they do it is funny... they are clearly showing off...

You know one day I went for a job interview in Cairo where they needed some native French speaker.
During the interview There were 2 different people who were proudly talking to me in French with a very heavy accent which was very difficult to understand.

As they wanted to test my native language they started the interview in French using some words and expression I never heard about before. I was watching them mouth wide open wondering if those guys were from The TV making kind of funny program by trapping people in one of those silly gag and was expecting to see myself on one of those show . Instead I was told that the position could not be given to me as my level of French was not good enough. [Eek!]

I will never forget this very starnge and weird experience.

Posts: 1182 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Souri:
i find a mother talking to her daughter in french... even though they are Egyptians... oh my god... the way they do it is funny... they are clearly showing off...

You know one day I went for a job interview in Cairo where they needed some native French speaker.
During the interview There were 2 different people who were proudly talking to me in French with a very heavy accent which was very difficult to understand.

As they wanted to test my native language they started the interview in French using some words and expression I never heard about before. I was watching them mouth wide open wondering if those guys were from The TV making kind of funny program by trapping people in one of those silly gag and was expecting to see myself on one of those show . Instead I was told that the position could not be given to me as my level of French was not good enough. [Eek!]

Moahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahaha!!

You know Souri my French is not that great but I still recognize this horrible accent those farts have and I just think: PUHLEEEEEZZ!

I mean speaking a foreign language with an accent (stress on foreign, I HATE Egyptians who speak Egyptian with an accent), can be charming, but not at all in their case.

*Souri*
Member # 9095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Souri*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean speaking a foreign language with an accent (stress on foreign, I HATE Egyptians who speak Egyptian with an accent), can be charming, but not at all in their case.

My egyptian freind who speak fluently French have a very charming and soft accent, but does not force her pronouciation in order to try to speak like a native French speaker, and is much more natural that way.

Those people I was talking about were so so strange speaking with a very weird accent I mean you could tell it was not natural at all it was like one of those bad movie where the actors force himself to be happy but in fact you can tell that his acting is so superfical and not natural at all.

Posts: 1182 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for focus683     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

You know Souri my French is not that great but I still recognize this horrible accent those farts have and I just think: PUHLEEEEEZZ!

That's something I don't have to worry about anymore. I have a British accent, and in the old days people were surprised by it. Now that I lost 20Kgs and grew my hair long, and i'm naturally pale, I actually do look british. Now people are surprised when i start speaking arabic cos no expects me to be egyptian now. [Big Grin]
Posts: 169 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by focus683:
quote:
quote:

That's something I don't have to worry about anymore. I have a British accent, and in the old days people were surprised by it. Now that I lost 20Kgs and grew my hair long, and i'm naturally pale, I actually do look british. Now people are surprised when i start speaking arabic cos no expects me to be egyptian now. [Big Grin]
I don't mind people having an accent because they grew up abroad. I mind people who *pretend* to have an accent to sound classy. Or those who shove foreign words, pronounced horribly, into their Arabic for the same "burboses" [Big Grin] .
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
...Let alone the 3ersa (weasel) sounding women.

W3ee w3ee3 w3ee33 w3ee3 ya3 moooo3myy wee33 [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com