EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Warning: Brazil Street 13 Madam Maysa

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Warning: Brazil Street 13 Madam Maysa
KatB
Member # 10467

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KatB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to warn about the landlady and her family in the 13 Brazil Street, Zamalek building. Do not rent from this woman, Madam Maysa, or her sister-in-law Dina (who is trying to rent apartments in Sharm) or her brother Mahmoud. They are crooks and did not give back the deposit ('Deposit? What deposit?' [Slams door]). Madam Maysa is particularly nasty and either crazy or exceedingly cunning; she invented all kinds of ludicrous reasons why she would not give the deposit back. I had a thoroughly unpleasant experience with these people and hope that no one else gets ripped off by them. If you would like to know more feel free to send me a private message.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not uncommon and limited to Cairo. Any hole in the wall i.e. from hanging a picture is enough reason not to give you your deposit back.

--------------------
Whitelily

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KatB:
I would like to warn about the landlady and her family in the 13 Brazil Street, Zamalek building. Do not rent from this woman, Madam Maysa, or her sister-in-law Dina (who is trying to rent apartments in Sharm) or her brother Mahmoud. They are crooks and did not give back the deposit ('Deposit? What deposit?' [Slams door]). Madam Maysa is particularly nasty and either crazy or exceedingly cunning; she invented all kinds of ludicrous reasons why she would not give the deposit back. I had a thoroughly unpleasant experience with these people and hope that no one else gets ripped off by them. If you would like to know more feel free to send me a private message.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

I hate Maysa and her likes!

Thanks for posting this. Please anyone with similar experiences with other landlords post here.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

lovely, such honesty [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
quote:

lovely, such honesty [Roll Eyes]
And if you are from Europe then you come from a culture to where the tenant has the uppper hand "legally".

If you are from America and have actually lived in your own place, renting that is, then you will understand that the chances of you getting deposit back is less than 20%. I normally put in a few hundred dollars worth of repairs into an apartment I live in, because after asking for these repairs to be done and not getting a response for over 4 months to a year, you get sick of it and do it yourself. In addition to being promised that before you move in repairs will be made and thus are never done completely. In the end they end up keeping most of your security deposit or all of it. Which is why homeownership is so prevalent in the USA. We can't get landlords to do what is required of them according to law.

And I have heard exactly what KatB is describing. My ex husband had 3 apartments in the Roxy neighborhood of Heliopolis. In actuallity he left the apartments a mess, but would do repairs because the landlord wouldn't. He never got one deposit back. And the courts in Cairo don't respond to this at all.

If you are a foreigner you can bet you'll be ripped off by landlords unless they have an ongoing relationship with your employer.

Its best to buy an apartment, make an investment and kiss the dillweeds goodbye!

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Still-Learning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

it's always the same trick: they take the deposit when they know pertinently well that they will not give the money back.

And they are always the same kind of people, very smooth before, then when it's getting to the time you want your money back, you face a wall.

And knowing the degree of legality in which egypt is plunged, you can run for your money.

Posts: 1473 | From: France | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had any problem in America of getting my deposit in full. Of course I never smoked, no pets, no kids, no messes, etc. I also filled out the inventory page you get when you sign your lease IN FULL taking careful consideration of all things.
But for a landlord to say you trashed your apartment and you're not getting one cent back when it's obvious nothing is wrong is complete dishonesty. Perhaps it's a foreigner thing, I think the idea in Egypt is that if you're a foreigner you must be rich and therefore are obligated to be fleeced by every greedy Egyptian you meet. [Frown]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com