EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » A little white lie never hurt anyone right?DO YOU LIE ONLINE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A little white lie never hurt anyone right?DO YOU LIE ONLINE
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first thing you do when you enter an online chat room is conceal your identity. You use a chat nickname, not your real name. Is that lying?
No

It is not a lie because for safety reasons kids (and adults too) should not give out any information that could identify you to strangers. Online - everyone is a stranger.

Does it stop there?

Where do you draw the line on lying online? A common practise in most chat rooms is a request for "stats". You are being asked for your - age/gender/location.

While age and gender can be harmless to give out in most instances giving out your location is not appropriate. You should be as vague as possible - only giving out country - or province/state. Never give out specific town/city information or specific home addresses. Is this lying?

No

Again, for safety reasons you should never give out your location to strangers online. This tiny bit of information, that can seem harmless enables strangers to track you.

Does it stop here?

You should always protect yourself online when it comes to personal information - anything that makes you feel uncomfortable answering does NOT have to be answered. This is not lying.

For some though, the anonymity of the Internet (hiding behind a nickname) allows you to make up just about any lie you want. How will anyone know if you are telling the truth?

You could be anyone one you want, you could be rich or poor, know famous people or have an uncle who is a race car driver, you could be the smartest kid in your class, or you could be suffering from a terrible disease. You could create some pretty "out there" stories about yourself - and who would be the wiser? Is that lying?

In my opinion, Yes

Living lies, even online, can be a pretty big burden. You need to remember who you told what to and the details of your lie - and as you tell it will grow and grow until soon you won't know the truth from lies. Covering up these lies and creating bigger ones to cover up those ones, is an awful lot of work. Soon, you will be hiding from people because you can't remember your own lies.

Sooner or later you will be caught in your web of lies. You will trip up and someone will question you. This can be both embarrassing and humbling. Is it worth it?

For the most part, honesty online - and in chat rooms - is a good thing. It is much easier to develop a friendship with other people based on truth rather then lies.

Try to give people the benefit of the doubt when talking online. If someone says something you might normally question, allow them to prove their sincerity before accusing them of lying. Who knows, you could meet someone rich, famous, poor or hungry, an Olympic champion or someone struggling with a disease.
We are all unique strangers online. Once you get to know people online you will begin to be able to sort the lies from the truth. Being lied to can hurt. Think about that before you make up a story online, and ask yourself......

is it worth it?
i hope the person i want reads this

Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't lied about my gender, age or location. Never needed to. But only gave out my first name a few times willingly but was able to edit it later.

What people don't realize is no matter what people can get your real full name, address and phone number then broadcast it where people are well acquainted with your handle or username. It happened to me.

What shocked me later, months later, reading through an old deleted thread that had turned into a flame war was the small detail. The incorrect spelling of my married last name. Its bizarre really. Because no piece of mail, no email spam, no piece of junk mail had ever had this spelling of my married last name, just my mailbox in my apartment building. This is the only place I saw this particular spelling. I am looking at the white pages for my area right now, and even in here there isn't the spelling of the same last name in the manner that is spelt on my mailbox.

What is more worrisome is this person has my full maiden name and my child's full name correctly spelt. But included in the same post is the misspelling of my married last name which is on my mailbox. I am still freaked.

Have I ever felt the need to expose someone in the same manner I was exposed? No.

Luckily only one person has called to harrass me, no letters, no threats. But I still worry.

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One should never lie about things. General location as in country or state is cool, even only a first name or just a sign in id cool. But as for your weight appearance work, all things that can not be given an answer to without lying no dont lie.. You can simply say im not telling this information.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so fuuuuunnnnyyyyy:

http://gprime.net/video.php/reallifevsinternet

http://gprime.net/video.php/reasonforcondoms

Killing time while I find what kind of research paper to write on sonnets.

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com