EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Omar Effendi Becomes Sheikh Omar

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Omar Effendi Becomes Sheikh Omar
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FINALLY! Omar Effendi has been sold to the private sector!

And guess who bought it? THE SAUDIS!!!

Now I am looking forward to going shopping there [Big Grin]

All those huge companies like Sidnawi, Shemla, Ben Zayon, Ads, Rivolli and Omar Effendi, have been for way too long infested with mowazzafeen of the public sector.

Can't wait until they're all sold, don't care for who, and a new generation of companies should replace them, full of young enthusiastic employees, who are NOT the mowazzafeen type!

A couple of questions for the Egyptians only:

How do you feel about selling such huge Egyptian companies to foreign investors of the private sector?

Would it change your view and attitudes towards a company after knowing that it's owned by foreign investors? How?

http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=2204

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frankly I think Egyptians are robbed !!How much was Omar Effendi sold for? 500 or 600 millions? All those big stores (around 82)in those very special places for 500 millions?

Doesn't sound true at all

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kuwaitis offered 300 millions for it a couple of months ago.

And I think the buyers paid more than 600 millions, but the thugs ruling us took most of them to buy their kids new cars [Roll Eyes]

Well at least those 82 huge department stores won't be wasted on selling grandma's underwear anymore. That was the ONLY good thing you could buy there for the last 50 years! Weird types of cotton underwear.

Just to make this thread a bit more interesting: Do you think Omar will soon be selling thongs? [Big Grin]

Pictures

At night

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhhhh why werent they sold to some Egyptian investor?
Where did all the rich Egyptian men go??? Where did the parents of the at least 50 kids below 21 driving hummers in marina like scooters hide!!!!!!??????

It's very sad! Ha3ayat!!
And I don't care if they hire Egyptians or not!! That's our only excuse everytime we sell!!!! Why dont WE buy OUR land from OUR occupying government!?
The bottom line is: we still sold another bit of Egypt and it will be gone forver! Yalla....bokra arga3 ala2i 7amam beitna etba3 wet2alab starbucks!!

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahahaha granny panties. Omar Effendi didn't impress me at all. Old style stuff all the way. What is it with a lot of Egyptians and their fancy dancy tastes? Gold gilded stuff all over the place. It's gaudy to me. What really grabbed me at Omar Effendi was the crap asss baby furniture. Shoddy.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Madame M.:
What is it with a lot of Egyptians and their fancy dancy tastes?

Hmmm it;s almost true...I ve also noticed that anything i'd buy for my family from anywhere in the world is sold in Egypt. From Indian table cloth, syrian quilts, massimo dutti jackets to Victoria's secret stuff and recently Mont Blanc invaded Egypt.

It depends really on where u go shopping. Even if u go to the Egyptian shops in the malls- seraj mall, horreya mall..etc; it's all copied fashionable stuff with cheap material, terrible finishing and very reasonable prices.
Not a single time did i manage to get my family sth quicker than the Egyptian market!!!
It's true that the weird golden taste still exists but hey Egypt reflects the whole spectrum of tastes!!

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ngeg:
Where did all the rich Egyptian men go??? Where did the parents of the at least 50 kids below 21 driving hummers in marina like scooters hide!!!!!!??????

It's very sad! Ha3ayat!!
And I don't care if they hire Egyptians or not!! That's our only excuse everytime we sell!!!! Why dont WE buy OUR land from OUR occupying government!?
The bottom line is: we still sold another bit of Egypt and it will be gone forver! Yalla....bokra arga3 ala2i 7amam beitna etba3 wet2alab starbucks!!

Its a beautiful building. And I am not happy with selling it to outsiders either.

I worry because when a government is trying to take a loan out from the IMF or something assets like these nationalized industries are not taken into account, so why bother keeping them?

As for the gilded interior design.... My mother has a very nice Chandeler that would be gaudy in any other setting:

[IMG]http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/9686/chandelergs8.th.jpg[/IMG]

[img=http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/9686/chandelergs8.th.jpg]

Its gilded with crystal prism, but in its setting it looks just right!

I don't know if this would catch on, but obviously "Cooking Classes" have become vogue for the elite. But here we have "interior design" courses at some retail shops. Many have been touted with Feng Shui conceptional training to make it more digestible. If my mother has the courage to walk into this fire-trap of a apartment in the near future I am sure she'll bring up those "Sons of Norway" decluttering and home organization courses she has been rubbing in my face for the last 3 years. [Roll Eyes]

If Egypt so chose to market their national industries and revamp the entire "channel distribution" then these nationalized assets would be viable and money producing. Possibly even a source of pride. But its easier to sell them off in order to balance the books for better financing of projects the nation doesn't even need.

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
The Kuwaitis offered 300 millions for it a couple of months ago.

Eh el kalam da!! The name itself can be sold for that money! Da Omar effendi ya nas! It's a mark in the recent Egyptian history!

Anyway! This isn't the first time! They have sold many MANY THINGS ALREADY FOR VERY CHEAP PRICES!

what happened is, The government corrupted and stolen so much and now those companies and factories are like a burden they can't deal with anymore and preferred to get something quick from, and leave it to someone else.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

quote:
Originally posted by Ngeg:

It's very sad! Ha3ayat!!

I for one don't care whether the owner is Egyptian or not. Ya3ny most of those stores were much better with their original Jewish oweners than with our governments.

It's interesting we still keep names like Ben Zayon which if I'm correct means bany sahion "sons of Zion"

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am particularly interested in what Auto, Chinderella, Crystal and Batman have to say about this.

Yalla before adan el fagr, answer me please [Cool]

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Now let's rephrase my question so it would sound a bit easier to answer..

If you know a company has Egyptian owners, and another competitor company has foreign owners (Arabs, Europeans), would this affect your attitude about dealing with the two?

MK's mom
Member # 12086

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK's mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its gilded with crystal prism, but in its setting it looks just right!

It is screaming G..A..U..D..Y!
Anyone buying a Chandelier for a pokey apartment needs arresting.
Period!

--------------------
'all this wealth and still couldn't raise a lady!'

Posts: 9 | From: 10 room flat shebin al kaum | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK's mom
Member # 12086

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK's mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honey is that you?
Why didn't you call momma?
Are you fasting? praying?
Ramadan Kareem honey.

--------------------

Posts: 9 | From: 10 room flat shebin al kaum | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol lol i luv this site i dont know whats gonna happen next .. [Wink] [Big Grin] ...
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
belly_wigggla
Member # 9626

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for belly_wigggla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great news....Omar Effendi stores are outdated - hopefully the Saudis will update them and stock things worth buying!

--------------------
[size=18]My EBAY[/size]

Posts: 41 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Confused]

is anybody else here confused???

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I LOVE Gabriel:
Now let's rephrase my question so it would sound a bit easier to answer..

If you know a company has Egyptian owners, and another competitor company has foreign owners (Arabs, Europeans), would this affect your attitude about dealing with the two?

Yes it would.... Honestly i'd prefer the company/ department store with the foreign owners [Big Grin]
I'm bad [Cool] [Razz]

oooohh, sorry if I havent replied earlier.... I havent seen that thread a long time ago before your question

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK's mom:
Honey is that you?
Why didn't you call momma?
Are you fasting? praying?
Ramadan Kareem honey.

Welcome to ES Auntie, Ramadam Kareem Auntie..... we are MK's friends me, myself, Cinematic & Chinderella on the left wing [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chinderella on the Left wing:
Welcome to ES Auntie, Ramadam Kareem Auntie..... we are MK's friends me, myself & Cinematic

[Big Grin]
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

I want my dad to join too..... I havent seen him in a while

--------------------
Femme Fatale

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

Why? Is it illegal for moms to join?

My mom likes you so much that she moved house (literally [Big Grin] ) to be near where you are!

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel's Love:
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

Why? Is it illegal for moms to join?

My mom likes you so much that she moved house (literally [Big Grin] ) to be near where you are!

I love your mom MK..... she's sweet & black [Big Grin]
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
BTW, Isnt your mom too black for you MK????

From now on I'll call my mom Condy [Big Grin]
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
From now on I'll call my mom Condy [Big Grin] [/QB]

Does mama Condo eat too much rice? [Big Grin]
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
From now on I'll call my mom Condy [Big Grin]

Does mama Condo eat too much rice? [Big Grin]
Moahahahahahahhahahaha!!

Well my mom cooks the best "rice" ever.

From now on she's Condy Rice!

Moahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha!!!

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Hey Chinderella, I am now watching Raghda in a soap on ESC.

She and Degheidy seem to have done their face lifts in the same garage!

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Hey Chinderella, I am now watching Raghda in a soap on ESC.

She and Degheidy seem to have done their face lifts in the same garage!

oh....let me see.

OMG... her eye brows are up to her hairline [Eek!]

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Originally posted by Tibe:
Your having a romantic dinner with your son - never figured you as a pedophile...... [Roll Eyes] [/QB]

Definately a romantic dinner with the husband [Razz]

No..... dont say that about Aunti Condy Rice [Frown]
she cooks the best rice everrrrrrrrrr

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tibe:
bsbsbsbsbsbsbsbsbsbs

Moahahahahaha, look who's talking!

I got some news for E you Khibe: Not all moms are like you! My mom is university staff.

Now does your n [Razz] [Razz] se hurt?

Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Still-Learning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an egyptian joke about Omar Effendi:

Someone goes to an Omar Effendi Shop but finds the shop closed.

He went to Omar Effendi's house.

Posts: 1473 | From: France | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonspice
Member # 5667

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonspice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't they allow a german organization to buy a share in the AIRPORT? Cairo airport!! It is all managed by foreigners. Its almost like a new trend. Quick money thats all. What some greedy people don't realize is that some things cannot be valued for money. Others think that ANYTHING can bought with money. Etisalat took over, was Bank of Misr selling big shares to gulf investors or was it national back of egypt? Egypt needs someone to rule it and take care of it, not personally own it- in their own bank accounts! I agree with ngeg, Ya 3eni 3aleki ya masr. If they keep selling essential and historical parts of it, what will be left? Whats Egypt gonna be proud of later on? Other people's investments in its own country? What a shame- whoever gave up that Omar Effendi must be a complete retard.
Posts: 604 | From: Cairo,Egypt | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all codswallops
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by lemonspice:
Didn't they allow a german organization to buy a share in the AIRPORT? Cairo airport!! It is all managed by foreigners. Its almost like a new trend. Quick money thats all. What some greedy people don't realize is that some things cannot be valued for money. Others think that ANYTHING can bought with money. Etisalat took over, was Bank of Misr selling big shares to gulf investors or was it national back of egypt? Egypt needs someone to rule it and take care of it, not personally own it- in their own bank accounts! I agree with ngeg, Ya 3eni 3aleki ya masr. If they keep selling essential and historical parts of it, what will be left? Whats Egypt gonna be proud of later on? Other people's investments in its own country? What a shame- whoever gave up that Omar Effendi must be a complete retard.

I totally agree with you LemonSpice. But isn't it better than having the situation like it is now?
MK's mom
Member # 12086

Rate Member
Honey chil'
just sitting on back porch of ma Condo rollin bacca for yo'uncle Tom honey.

Is yo enjoyin yo ramada Kreme baby?
Momma made some grits, jambalaya, and some real soul food. momma's lonely out here in the bayou....oooooooooo!
What kinda rice yo use in yo jambalaya? Ah use good ol' uncle Ben, aint let me down 'no way no how' oh where are yo honey..........belgium or someplace where them white folks live.......?

Honey chil's momma
x

--------------------

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Originally posted by MK's mom:
Honey chil'
just sitting on back porch of ma Condo rollin bacca for yo'uncle Tom honey.

Is yo enjoyin yo ramada Kreme baby?
Momma made some grits, jambalaya, and some real soul food. momma's lonely out here in the bayou....oooooooooo!
What kinda rice yo use in yo jambalaya? Ah use good ol' uncle Ben, aint let me down 'no way no how' oh where are yo honey..........belgium or someplace where them white folks live.......?

Honey chil's momma
x

oooooooooooooh hellooooooooooo Auntie yo?
Miss yo rice momma yo ...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com