EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What's wrong with egyptian cash macihnes (ATMs)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's wrong with egyptian cash macihnes (ATMs)
Bahya
Member # 11489

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bahya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two days ago, on the 26/9 my wife who is on holiday in Egypt, tried to get some cash from a cash machine.

The ATM didn't give her any money, but when checking the balance on the internet, we saw that the money was gone from the account.

She went to the bank who owns the ATM to complain about it. They told her to call our bank to stop the payment (LOL)...of course our bank said they could not stop the payment, but they would investigate the matter.

Anybody had a similar problem with cash machines in Egypt ??

Posts: 5 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used an ATM in Egypt a few months ago, and after inputting my PIN number, the screen said that my card was going to be kept by the bank and that I couldn't have any cash. As I stood there panicking, the card was returned, along with the correct amount of cash!!! Not sure what all that was about, but in the end all was ok!
Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady from the water
Member # 11948

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady from the water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah,i always have these problems in Cairo,the atm machine has kept my card several times,thanks to God i always had all my money on it,but still it sucks:(
Posts: 40 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bahya:
Two days ago, on the 26/9 my wife who is on holiday in Egypt, tried to get some cash from a cash machine.

The ATM didn't give her any money, but when checking the balance on the internet, we saw that the money was gone from the account.

She went to the bank who owns the ATM to complain about it. They told her to call our bank to stop the payment (LOL)...of course our bank said they could not stop the payment, but they would investigate the matter.

Anybody had a similar problem with cash machines in Egypt ??

LOL I was using a F*** ATM machine that took my credit card in & never returned it back [Mad]
Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptian ATM machines are programmed by the Egyptian government.

Enough said.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is the same in Luxor. I have had money taken from my account for cash that was never received several times. The first time it took endless forms and a whole year before the money was given back to me. Another time (different card) the money was returned to me on trust after I went into a UK branch of my bank and filled in various forms. These are the entries that I noticed. I am sure that when I was bulding in Egupt and withdrawing a lot of cash, that the same thing happened and I actually lost a lot of money to the banks.

--------------------
Everything for me - www.Luxor4me.com

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
muslimman
Member # 11892

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for muslimman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it means that i was lucky with my cash - have no problem in sharm this year... ufff luckily [Smile]
Posts: 119 | From: Poland, US, Egypt, Australia... anywhere | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by biker_babe:
I used an ATM in Egypt a few months ago, and after inputting my PIN number, the screen said that my card was going to be kept by the bank and that I couldn't have any cash. As I stood there panicking, the card was returned, along with the correct amount of cash!!! Not sure what all that was about, but in the end all was ok!

That happened to me in Luxor - it said it was keeping my card. I went into the bank in a panic and tried to explain the problem, about 20 mins later a little man was dispatched to open the machine - meanwhile unbeknown to me, my card had come out of the machine (I found out of course that the ATMs often give this message but do in fact return the card - I just didn't wait long enough!) and someone (Egyptian) was at a different counter in the bank trying to explain that it had come out of the machine!
Phew! I was in such a panic as it was my only source of paying air fares etc for the rest of my holiday!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hazzem123
Member # 10834

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hazzem123   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi all

you must know that not all ATMs online overall

the world there is problem in communcation when

you use ATM you must wait don't try to cancel

after you start you must wait.

Posts: 50 | From: cairo | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The machines process the request and say "wait for your cash" then they go clunk and stop - mainly because there is no money left in the machine. But the amount is still deducted from the bank account even though you have had nothing and seldom is a receipt given to say that no cash has been dispensed.

--------------------

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bahya
Member # 11489

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bahya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
The machines process the request and say "wait for your cash" then they go clunk and stop - mainly because there is no money left in the machine. But the amount is still deducted from the bank account even though you have had nothing and seldom is a receipt given to say that no cash has been dispensed.

well, in my country we call this THEFT.

I really don't understant how VISA and all the big card networks allow their cards to operate trhough these machines...

Posts: 5 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad I never had any problems yet!:-) Keep being suspicious though to any of those machines.
Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have never had any problems as of yet thank god
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bahya:
well, in my country we call this THEFT.

No different here....it's called that in Egypt too! [Wink]
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
I do not think that it is deliberate, it is more a case of inefficiency. If there had been money in the machine it would have dispensed it. The Bank Masri machines nearly always tell you that the card is being kept but the ones for the Bank Cairo and National Bank of Egypt seem to be OK on that line. but the times that I have lost money in recent years have been through the National Bank of Egypt.

--------------------

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had any trouble with HSBC ATMs. The one I almost always use is in Heliopolis.

After reading this thread, I guess I should stick to those. [Cool]

HSBC ATMs

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
We do not have any HSBC machines in Luxor that I know of.

--------------------

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get an American Express card and cash cheques instead. If you are an American Express card holder you can cash personal cheques at any office as well as using them for your mail. The amount you can cash and the frequency are dependent on your type of card.

I find them brill and I know exactly what money has gone out of my account. I have an HSBC account in the UK and I just write normal cheques and they take about 2 1/2 weeks to go through. On my card I can cash £500 GBP every 21 days.

My post goes there as well and they will phone me and let me know I have received something. All this for £37 per anum

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by biker_babe:

I tried that too. And when I was walking angry/nervous away from the maschine I heard the noise of cashing out. Then the money and the card came out afterall....... strange. For a moment I thought I was on hidden camera.
Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uganda: Cairo Bank Joins Bankom Network

New Vision (Kampala)

September 25, 2006
Posted to the web September 25, 2006

Emmy Olaki
Kampala

CAIRO International Bank has joined the over 50 Bankom networked ATMs across Uganda.

"You can access your money from anywhere, anytime at any of the other ATMs that are already connected to the national switch," Michael Kaggwa, the managing director of Bankom Uganda, said.

Dfcu, Nile and Orient banks are connected to the switch.

Kaggwa said other banks including micro-finance institutions were in final stages to get connected. He said next year, clients would access point of sale machines, which many banks are investing in. Cairo has over 10,000 customers.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200609251296.html

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tami025
Member # 9181

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tami025     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you mean they actually have money to put into the machine? wow!
Posts: 229 | From: philadelphia, pa, usa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bahya
Member # 11489

Rate Member
Eventually, and after two months, we could get our money back thanks to Lloyds Bank, which helped us all the time.

Don't use ever National Bank of Egypt cash machines (or any other egiptian state bank). It seems to me that they have a mafia style banking system.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com