EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Halloween in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Halloween in Egypt
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, being from the states I always liked Halloween, which I will miss. This will be my first Halloween away from home and I am going to buy a pumpkin, carve it and put a votive inside on the window sill this year. I'm sure to have my neighbors wonder what I'm doing, but seeing as they know I'm a foreigner anyway I suppose I can get away with it. Last winter I made homemade pumpkin pie with the actual pumpkin, am I betty crocker or WHAT?? [Big Grin] Anyway, I found this for those of you who like Halloween as it approaches, whether you are in Egypt or not.
Hugs [Smile]

YOU AND YOUR PUMPKIN...BONDING

The most common form of bonding with your pumpkin is simply to talk to it. It responds quite well to positive re-enforcement. It also responds negatively to criticism and negative re- enforcement. Don't ever threaten your pumpkin or mention your doubts and disappointments within hearing range of the plant. The mere mention of your disappointment of it's growth rate can cause the growth to completely stop for a period of time. The old saying "One aw-*hit is worth a hundred Attaboys" is very relevant here. Fortunately, pumpkin plants have extremely poor hearing, about ten feet.

A second form of bonding is singing to your plants. This is slightly more effective than talking in an encouraging manner to your crop. It also can backfire as the choice of music is vital. Those who can not sing can turn off the pumpkin, stunting all growth. Sad songs and slow elevator music can also result in reduced production. Slow music can put your pumpkin to sleep.... normally pumpkin fruit grows 24 hours a day. An upbeat, fast tempo is the preferred choice. However, marches are to be avoided as they may cause the pumpkin to grow too quickly and literally burst. Most importantly, do not forget to sing love songs during the pollination period, especially during early morning hours when pollination peaks.

Playing recorded music is sure to produce favorable results, although markedly less effective than the personal touch of your voice. Use the same selection of songs as described for singing.

A few musically inclined growers will bring out their instruments and play to their crops. Again, keep in mind the type of music. There is speculation that symphonic band instruments are more effective than jazz or orchestra.

Finally, language plays absolutely no role in pumpkin growth results. Pumpkins are multi-linguistic.

A final form of bonding is to camp out and sleep with your vines as they grow. Anyone who pursues prize winning results will attest that you might as well sleep in the field, because you need to spend most of your time there.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOT PARTCIPATE IN GHOULS ..NEVER HAVE DONE AND NEVER WILL ...LOOK AT ENOUGH BEWITCHING EVERY DAY ....
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
Ok, being from the states I always liked Halloween, which I will miss. This will be my first Halloween away from home and I am going to buy a pumpkin, carve it and put a votive inside on the window sill this year. I'm sure to have my neighbors wonder what I'm doing, but seeing as they know I'm a foreigner anyway I suppose I can get away with it. Last winter I made homemade pumpkin pie with the actual pumpkin, am I betty crocker or WHAT?? [Big Grin] Anyway, I found this for those of you who like Halloween as it approaches, whether you are in Egypt or not.
Hugs [Smile]

Halloween is one serious pagan festival.. probably ranks higher than Christmas on the abomination scale [Razz]

Isn't your husband Muslim? If so, does he know of your intentions to put a pumpkin in the window, which symbolically denotes you are trying to scare away the supposed evil spirits wandering around on that night? On the otherhand it's also thought of as signal to denote sympathy to satanists... like when you put political campaign posters in your window [Roll Eyes]

As a mark of respect, If you haven't done so already you should probably explain to him so he can have some say in this. Ya lahwi .. what if the local sheikh walked past your house and saw that [Eek!] lol.. I'm making a joke of this, but it's actually a serious thing.. you can listen or ignore me as you wish, however it's prevalent these days for people to follow and celebrate that which they don't actually understand. You are adult enough to make your own choices, however it's something that should be considered especially if you bring muslim children into the world... In Islam we have our own festivals which can be made fun for children.. no need to introduce them to festivals such as Christmas, Halloween and Easter. The Eid's can be fun.. Islamic new year.. you can give presents, sweets, invite family and friends over.

Halloween, whether it is dressed up in colours, sweets and candy, funny games .. whatever is nothing short of a celebration of Satan...

Anyone interested in finding out more.. it's believed to be the Celtic Samahain festival. New years day of the Pagan Celts.

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NotSleeplessInCairo:
Ya lahwi

[Big Grin]

Yeah baby YEAH.

Indeed.. Ya lahwi!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Hugs [Smile]

Halloween is one serious pagan festival.. probably ranks higher than Christmas on the abomination scale [Razz]

Isn't your husband Muslim? If so, does he know of your intentions to put a pumpkin in the window, which symbolically denotes you are trying to scare away the supposed evil spirits wandering around on that night? On the otherhand it's also thought of as signal to denote sympathy to satanists... like when you put political campaign posters in your window [Roll Eyes]

As a mark of respect, If you haven't done so already you should probably explain to him so he can have some say in this. Ya lahwi .. what if the local sheikh walked past your house and saw that [Eek!] lol.. I'm making a joke of this, but it's actually a serious thing.. you can listen or ignore me as you wish, however it's prevalent these days for people to follow and celebrate that which they don't actually understand. You are adult enough to make your own choices, however it's something that should be considered especially if you bring muslim children into the world... In Islam we have our own festivals which can be made fun for children.. no need to introduce them to festivals such as Christmas, Halloween and Easter. The Eid's can be fun.. Islamic new year.. you can give presents, sweets, invite family and friends over.

Halloween, whether it is dressed up in colours, sweets and candy, funny games .. whatever is nothing short of a celebration of Satan...

Anyone interested in finding out more.. it's believed to be the Celtic Samahain festival. New years day of the Pagan Celts.

She is Muslim, lives in Shebin el-Kaum the same town my in-laws and daughter live in and is pregant too.
So she knows what she's talking about, she experience it first hand.

I 've only been to Shebin a few times and haven't had the pleasure of meeting her in Shebin el-Kaum.
I thank her for the invitation she extended to me and plan to take her up on it. [Smile]

I got married 5 years ago on October 14th. By the end of the month I moved in with him. I got a little lecture on handing out candy at my mother's house on Hallows Eve. So I didn't do it. I don't even live in Egypt so I don't really know what I'm talking about but that's what I was told [Roll Eyes]

Thanks Smuckers for a great topic [Big Grin]

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albino_Eskimo:
quote:
quote:
Hugs [Smile]

She is Muslim, lives in Shebin el-Kaum the same town my in-laws and daughter live in and is pregant too.
So she knows what she's talking about, she experience it first hand.

I 've only been to Shebin a few times and haven't had the pleasure of meeting her in Shebin el-Kaum.
I thank her for the invitation she extended to me and plan to take her up on it. [Smile]

I got married 5 years ago on October 14th. By the end of the month I moved in with him. I got a little lecture on handing out candy at my mother's house on Hallows Eve. So I didn't do it. I don't even live in Egypt so I don't really know what I'm talking about but that's what I was told [Roll Eyes]

Thanks Smuckers for a great topic [Big Grin]

You know Auto_needto_jackoff, I don't appreciate you hacking me out of my ES accounts and then posting a bogus post.

What the hell is your problem? Oh this is your problem:

I had my lower two yanked under local anaesthetic on Aug. 21.

I found the biggest problem to be that my gums at the back of my mouth, plus my lower jaw, were swollen to the point that I couldn't really bite down effectively. By about day 3 I was gamely trying to chew food with my front teeth only, but honestly, I have no idea how gerbils do it! I ended up eating a lot of things in a less-than-well-chewed state. How sad is it when you can't even chew cottage cheese, and end up swallowing the curds whole?

By about day 4 or 5, I could eat a bratwurst, mashed potatoes and peas. By day 10, anything I felt like.

I would say that at whatever point you feel you can bite down effectively, and can "wrangle" the food a bit with your tongue to keep it away from your sockets, you could go for it. Lucky you that you crave poutine. Other than the cheese curd, you should be able to eat poutine on day 2. If it's hard to chew, add more gravy.

Mind you, at this point, I can eat anything I want, provided I don't mind seeing a bit of it again when I take my little squirty-syringe and squirt out the sockets.

You had the date off by 2 day. I went into Cairo on Tuesday and had the doc try to pull the bastard wisdom tooth on the 23rd, not the 21nd.

You are getting more warped. You are becoming more like nooralhaq everyday.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Hugs [Smile]

I think she should go ahead a celebrate halloween and put a pumpkin in her window. She can worship whoever she wants in her own home and have the traditions and celebrations she likes. - What would the situation be if we told all the muslim immigrants in the west that we want them to celebrate christmas and we find it unrespectable if the celebrate ramadan while they live her.
A pumpkin has never hurt anybody and respect is a 2 way road.

Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tibe:
quote:
quote:
Hugs [Smile]

I think she should go ahead a celebrate halloween and put a pumpkin in her window. She can worship whoever she wants in her own home and have the traditions and celebrations she likes. - What would the situation be if we told all the muslim immigrants in the west that we want them to celebrate christmas and we find it unrespectable if the celebrate ramadan while they live her.
A pumpkin has never hurt anybody and respect is a 2 way road.

Muslim festivals are not based on paganism and my point was more to do with the fact that she is married to a Muslim man who may not have full understanding of what Halloween signifies (as is the case with many westerners). Should she also go and get a roast pork to eat with her pumpkin pie... would that be respectful?

Yes respect is a two way street.. but that street is shortened when you marry a man with a different religion.. some things are just not acceptable.

No a pumpkin has never hurt anybody and that's probably what the pagan arabs said when they were worshiping their idols.. Islam is the complete opposite to Satan, Muslims are supposed to spend their life fighting his influence therefore I think a festival like Halloween is a serious issue.

I don't even know how strict her husband is as a muslim and it's not my business.. I was offering an advice so we don't need to get into the debate of Muslims in the west.... we ARE in the west whether you like it or not [Razz]

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just feel a couple should respect each others traditions and religions. And celebrating haloween doesnt have anything to do with worseshipping the devil these days. Its a fun tradition for the kids nothing more nothing less and can in my opinion not be compared with serving pork. Its like banning people from buying flowers to the person they love on valentines day.
No matter how strict a muslim he is or isnt - out of respect for her rights to keep her cultural tradition alive and pass that on to their coming baby.

And im fine with muslim immigrants in the west as long as they behave nicely and is productive citizens - hey im actually "importing one of my own" [Big Grin]

Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cari Egy
Member # 11970

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cari Egy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up thinking that dressing up for Halloween was something just for fun. But now I believe in the real reason behind this holiday and why it was created. I mean with no distrespect to what she wants to do. I just feel as an American there are some American traditions that contradict my religion. So I wouldn't want to raise a family in doing things just because it's fun. It's tough at first to not do what your so used to doing. But again it's all about how you plan to raise your children or what type of life you want. Thats just my thought about it.
Posts: 19 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tami025
Member # 9181

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tami025     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i looove halloween...i was born on it and i celebrate it to the maxx. my man is muslim and even though he doesnt do it, he has no problem swiping our bags at the end of trick or treating and scarfing our candy!> [Smile] i am 26 with a 4 yr old and i take all the neighborhood kids to the best spots. then i dress up like some ape or werewolf and chase cars and kids and jump out at kids coming out of the houses. they love it and its very entertaining. [Smile]
Posts: 229 | From: philadelphia, pa, usa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is great fun. Not all parents dress their kids up as ghosts and ghouls (what is the difference anyway??) I was a pumpkin one year and a bee the next [Wink] [Big Grin]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My children dress up for Halloween to participate in the annual Halloween parade at school so they don't feel "left out". My ex husband is very against them celebrating Halloween or any other pagan or Christian holiday ie. Christmas or Easter...which are both based on paganism as well as Christianity. The boys do not go out trick or treating for Halloween. They can get candy anytime.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Well it's interesting because my parents never really told me how it started, i just thought it was a fun time to go get free candy and dress up likea fruit or an animal lol [Wink]
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I didn't learn of the origins of Halloween until I was an adult.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MY KIDS DONT DO IT FULL STOP AND THEY HATE ME FOR IT ,SORRY BUT I DONT BLEIEVE IN IT BUT IM NOT AGAINST ANY ONE ELSE DOING IT ..HAVE A GREAT TIME ....
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love to celebrate with kids. And since some years we do Halloween too, they learn this in school. We do Eid, we do the Hindu's Lightfestival, we do St. Maarten, we do Santaclaus. I want kids to have fun with other kids and these festivities are great for bonding and enjoy each others traditions. And life is not there for our punishment but given to us to enjoy and praise God for his wondrous works.
Since kids now know that Santaclaus did not really exist but mam and dad are giving them surprisepresents they asked if God is a hoax too!:-) Great opportunity to tell them the differences and how they can celebrate remembering great events and share and how they can walk with God daily and share and celebrate.
Son is praying daily and at the moment he is not experiencing God as all to personal. He told me now he is praying being gratefull to life itself. I am happy he is such an aware kid and tying to his source of life. He will have different stages of bonding according to lifes experiences.
He is a proud little priest in church and loves his tradition. He want have a fundamentalist view but a rich spiritual life. I strongly feel God walking with him.

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

That's so great Damiana, at least you really expose your son to a lot of different things, he will have such a wide appreciation for different beliefs and customs, and celebrations, etc.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com