EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » libraries

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: libraries
treesloth
Member # 12025

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for treesloth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a book addict, so I have to ask this question. One of the first things I do when I move to a new city is find the public library and get a card. Are there public libraries in Egypt? Or, conversely, what does a book-addicted, English speaker do to get something to read? I prefer libraries because I read pretty fast, so if I have to buy my books, my apartment will soon be filled with nothing but bookshelves... [Big Grin]
Posts: 22 | From: Phoenix | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Screw you
Member # 11942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Screw you         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't know about libaries, but the book fair is good, you can find new and used books in good condition for cheap prices

--------------------
Learn from the past.
Live in the present.
Hope for the future.

Posts: 1474 | From: in my own paradise | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi treesloth!

My guess it that you would find as many libraries that carry English books in Tanta as you would in libraries that carry Arabic books in small towns in Middle America. You may get an odd English science textbook, but probably not much more than that.

Egytians, on the whole, aren't big readers, and certainly not of English books, even Mrs. Mubarak has had her own little campaign to get Egyptians to read more by providing cheap paperback versions of novels. And it is rare to go into a home in Egypt and see bookshelves, unless the people are academics or religious people.

Following WOTEVER's advice and heading down to the Cairo bookfair once a year in January or going to Sour El-Ezbekiyyah in Cairo every once in a while to stock up on second-hand books might be your best bet.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All Saints Cathedral Library
5 Mishil Lutfallah
Zamalek, 736-8391

American Research Center in Egypt (ARCE) Library
2 Qasr al-Dubara, GC
794-8239
795-8683
796-4681
797-2429
792-2023
email: arce@internetegypt.com
Head Librarian: Mr. Hammam Fawzi

American Studies Library
US Embassy
5 Amrika al-Latiniya, DT
797-3133
797-3295

American University in Cairo Library
113 Qasr al-Nil, DT
797-6903
http://lib.aucegypt.edu

American University in Cairo
"Rare Books and Special Collections Library"
22 Sheikh Rihan, DT
797-5060

AMIDEAST Educational Research Center
23 Mussadaq, DK
337-8265

British Council Library
192 al-Nil, AG
301-8327
301-8738 (book renewal)
344-3076 344-3076

Cairo American College Library
Rd. 253
Digla, MA
702-9393

Community Services Association
4 Road 21, MA
358-5284
768-8232
358-0754

Egyptian Museum Library
Midan al-Tahrir, DT
575-7035
Head Librarian: Dr. Adel Farid

Egyptian National Library
(Dar al-Kutub)
Corniche al-Nil, DT
575-3254

Geographic Society of Egypt Library
109 Qasr al-'Aini, GC
794-5450

Goethe Institute
5 al-Bustan, DT
575-9877

Great Cairo Library
15 Muhammad Mazhar, ZA
736-2278

Music Library
Opera House Complex, ZA
737-0601
339-8061 (direct)
Head Librarian: Mr. Galal Fouad

Mubarak Library
4 al-Tahawiya, GZ
336-0291 ext. 4

Netherlands Institute of Archeology & Arabic Studies
1 Dr. Mahmud 'Azmi, ZA
735-4376

Pro-Helvetica
10 'Abd al-Khaliq Sarawat, DT
575-8733

Spanish Cultural Center Library
20 Bulus Hanna, DK
760-1746

UNESCO Library
8 'Abd al-Rahman Fahmi, GC
794-3066/5599

US Agency for International Development Information Center
Cairo Center
5 Latin American St, GC
797-3225
738-5/3357
Head Librarian: Soad Saada

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NourHayati
Member # 5507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NourHayati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great!!!! [Razz]
Posts: 327 | From: balad alnour | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treesloth, as you can see from the post of AE, fancy libraries with good English books are only in Cairo and Alexandria.
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
Treesloth, as you can see from the post of AE, fancy libraries with good English books are only in Cairo and Alexandria.

Get on a West Delta bus and you are in Cairo within 45 minutes.

Make a day of it. Cripes what is the price for a one way ticket into Cairo on a West Delta bus?

Last time I used the bus it was 30LE. But I can't remember and I didn't pay for myself.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To get access to many of those libraries you would have to be a member to be able to take books out and they aren't all open to the public. The AUC libraries for example are only open to students of the university. The cheapest one to join seems to be the Zamalek Cathederal library and they have quite a wide range of English books in stock.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
To get access to many of those libraries you would have to be a member to be able to take books out and they aren't all open to the public. The AUC libraries for example are only open to students of the university. The cheapest one to join seems to be the Zamalek Cathederal library and they have quite a wide range of English books in stock.

Actually the AUC library is pricey! For the average joe its $500 a year. But if you are a associate scholar (forget the wording of it) its cheaper and if you already have an advanced degree you can apply for a "fellow without a stipend" which makes the membership free.

CSA in Maadi is open to the public for an annual fee of 100LE.

According to the book I am quoting (from where I got the list) all of those libraries are open to the public. Some for a price and some are actually free but must sign up for a membership.

I am a library troll. [Big Grin] I spend more on library fines per year than I do clothes. So one of the first aspects of expatriate life in Cairo I looked into was the libraries.

Personally the cost of taking a few graduate courses at Cairo University can get you into the AUC as an "associate fellow" at a much reduced cost. Which is what I am looking at.

belly_wigggla
Member # 9626

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for belly_wigggla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a bookshop in Maadi that will deliver books to any address in Egypt... www.cairobookmark.com

--------------------
[size=18]My EBAY[/size]

Posts: 41 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by belly_wigggla:
There's a bookshop in Maadi that will deliver books to any address in Egypt... www.cairobookmark.com

WOW that's cool....Thanks belly
[Big Grin]

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a bookstore in Maadi on Road 9 called the Book Stop, they sell second hand books and when you finish with them you can take them back and exchange them for a lower price. Same concept as Bookmark when they had a physical store.

Road 9 under Baskin robbins... get the metro to Maadi station.. turn right and keep walking, it's on the left hand side.

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treesloth
Member # 12025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for treesloth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Glad to meet some fellow bookworms! Thank you...this will be very helpful! I was thinking of taking courses at AUC if I could afford it anyways, so that might be a good idea....
Posts: 22 | From: Phoenix | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com