EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » public records of marriages?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: public records of marriages?
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOw can I find out if someone has been married before? (in Cairo). Where can I access those public records? Or can someone here look into it for me if I provide the guy's name? Oh and he's a Christian Sudanese national by the way.
Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annie_81:
HOw can I find out if someone has been married before? (in Cairo). Where can I access those public records? Or can someone here look into it for me if I provide the guy's name? Oh and he's a Christian Sudanese national by the way.

And who is this for?

First off why would egypt bureaucracy keep records at all for foreign nationals? And aren't most Sudanese refugees?

Try the office in which he has been applying assylum for. I can't remember the name of that office that handles the vast majority of Sudanese assylum cases.

I had posted in regards to this particular community before, area 57 or something? I remember it was a recent college grad African American Muslima wanting to get involved with non-profits. She was a "Brown University" grad of Middle Eastern studies. Can't remember her username right now.

Its the "United Nations refugee agency" that handles this.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hhave been told if u give the date the year and the name of the husband or who you are informing about and urs or her details too it usually easy to get it but it can take money and time they dont have a computer system as such but when you register ur marriage certifcate WHICH I CANT REMEMEBR WHERE EXACT your all over the place when it comes to marrying in egypt ...i know now they have a computer system set up hope that is of hope ,and the egyptians love paper stamping my husband calls them the international for paper stamping they love it ajust paper paper paper .....REMEMBER EGYPTIANS DONT Do NOTHING WITHOUT MONEY ANY THING IS POSSIBLE WITH THE NOTE ,,HUBBY SITTING HERE AS WE SPEAK AND HE SAID OUR DETAILS CAME UP WHEN HE HAD TO GET SOMETHING WHEN HE HADNT GOT A PAPER FOR THE EMBASSY HOPE THAT IS OF HELP ...HE WAS AT THE MINISTRY FOR THAT ...W/S
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The refugee agency is called UNHCR (High Commission for Refugees). All the information contained in refugee files is confidential. I know because I actually work there!!!

The person I want to find information about is not a refugee. And by the way, there are 2 millions Sudanese people in Egypt but only 40 000 are UN refugees, so far from "most of them".

The Egyptian government certainly keeps track of all marriages that took place in Egypt. Foreigners who marry here must register themselves at some ministry in order for the marriage to be legal. Marriages records are usually public but how can one access them? I do not know!

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here in england u can register it at the home office in london for 15pounds and they take your arabic one and send you a nother one in the form of like abritish one you have here ...exactly to how you access it publicaly i dont know that one and even for egypt you want to access public that i have ot got a clue as yet ..and i do know if you marry british citezen there the embassy has filed it but if you r enquiring of someone else have the relevant papers or dteails in order or the wont help you at all they strict there ...
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The refugee agency is called UNHCR (High Commission for Refugees). All the information contained in refugee files is confidential. I know because I actually work there!!!

The person I want to find information about is not a refugee. And by the way, there are 2 millions Sudanese people in Egypt but only 40 000 are UN refugees, so far from "most of them".

The Egyptian government certainly keeps track of all marriages that took place in Egypt. Foreigners who marry here must register themselves at some ministry in order for the marriage to be legal. Marriages records are usually public but how can one access them? I do not know!

Hi colleague... I used to work in UNICEF
[Wink]

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The UNHCR will only give refugee status to a small percentage of Sudanese refugees. I read about this. But since you work there you understand completely that most Sudanese are undocumented in Egypt. So why would a Sudanese who is undocumented file a marrige license?
Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com