EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Foreigners Living in Egypt, I want to hear from you!!!!!!!!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Foreigners Living in Egypt, I want to hear from you!!!!!!!!!!
Twoworlds
Member # 11735

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Twoworlds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I would like to know how your life as foreigner in Egypt is.

I married my husband 6 six years ago. We live in US. My husband is from Egypt. He has lived in US for 15 years. When I married him to move to Egypt was not in his future plans. His mind has changed. Now, we have a child, and he wants to raise him in Egypt with strong Muslim values. I am not Muslim. I am Catholic. Before I got married, I accepted to raise my child as a Muslim. I am ok wih that. But the idea to live in Egypt terrified me. I like to go to Egypt on vacation.. I really think people are very kind, my husband's family is wonderful. I like the food there. We go every year for vacation. I enjoy going on vacation, but to live there its different story.
Every time I discuss with my husband to go there, I get so deppresed.
I think my son will have better opportunities in US.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience...

Warm regards.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 7 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

Posts: 48 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, this topic again.... don't worry you'll get answers & before you know it ES members will fight one another about who's right [Big Grin]

--------------------
Femme Fatale

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twoworlds
Member # 11735

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Twoworlds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Chinderella on the left wing,

I know Egyptians are very passionate about this subjet. I just want to hear from foreigners who are living there.

Posts: 48 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twoworlds:
Thanks Chinderella on the left wing,

I know Egyptians are very passionate about this subjet. I just want to hear from foreigners who are living there.

Yeah i know that's why i didn't say my opinion but you'll find the foreigners as well very passionate on this forum LOL [Big Grin]
Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twoworlds
Member # 11735

Rate Member
I believe in freedoom of speech and opinion... Even though if someone disagrees. I just want to learn from somebody else experience. Thanks again.
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I hear its much easier to live as a foreign er in Egypt without any family ties than it is to live in Egypt with family ties.
Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
I believe in freedoom of speech and opinion... Even though if someone disagrees. I just want to learn from somebody else experience. Thanks again.

I believe in freedom of speech too.... Anyway I wont bother you on your thread again... hope you get the responses you need

I was just being sarcastic of the ES opinionated members but it's funny though..... if you stay here longer you'll know what I mean......

I hope I am welcome as an Egyptian to say an opinion, I also believe it's better for your son if he grows up in the USA while acquainting him with the Egyptian culture by planning regular visits to Egypt. For you it won't be fun to live in Egypt..... visits are a different story. I don't like it when parents force their children to be religious..... He can teach your son about Islam & god but not force him to do the rituals when he's very young still, he wouldnt grasp why he's doing what he's doing. He can still raise him to have strong muslim values while still living in the US

Good luck

Twoworlds
Member # 11735

Rate Member
Thanks Chinderella on the Left Wing..
I fully agree with you....

Take care.

Twoworlds
Member # 11735

Rate Member
Hi Albino Eskimo,

Really? Why do you think is easier to live in Egypt if you don't have family ties????? What do you mean?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi Albino Eskimo,

Really? Why do you think is easier to live in Egypt if you don't have family ties????? What do you mean?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meaning if you have family ties, and not a Orfi marriage or a marriage to where the Egyptian husband benefits financially *aka manwhore*; then you are put under a large portion of the same expectations that an Egyptian wife is put under.

You must navigate your existance as if you are an Egyptian yourself. A lot of times the Egyptian husband doesn't bother to inform you of this, so you learn from BIL & SIL (brother in law and sister in law) only after you have committed a societal sin.

Take for instance, my mother was shopping for linen at the public souk in Alex. I was talking with my BIL and gentely shook my torso in a ghetto fashion. My BIL got really upset and glared at me without glancing down at my bossom to tell me I can't do that in Egypt. I had no idea. I've done it in front of my ex-husband to put emphasis on what I was saying and it didn't phase him.

So Egyptian husband or Egyptian family don't bother to instruct you on taboo behaviors, comments or how you go about daily activities until you have done wrong on Egyptian soil.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Hi Albino Eskimo,

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inlaws could be overbearing, interfer in your affairs, demanding .......
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twoworlds, take Albino Eskimo's story for example. The Egyptian ex-husband took their daughter back to Egypt where she gets raised now by the grandparents - although it happpened with her consent as far as I believe.

I also agree that your life as a single foreigner in Egypt is much easier than if you have to live with your Egyptian family because of cultural pressure. Everything what you do - may it good or be bad - reflects also your in-laws reputation.

Many foreign women live in different parts of Egypt, some are happy, some are not, some got accustomed as good as possible to the life there. It's all about how much you are willing to adjust.

You do can have a good life in Egypt if you have the finances. Your son can be educated at a internationally recognized school which are especially present in Cairo. Also your biggest chance of employment would be in the same area. Your family does have opportunities in Egypt. I am not aware of your current living situation and can't judge for your which way would be better. That's what you and your husband have to agree together. Good luck. [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by *Princess Tigerlily*:
Twoworlds, take Albino Eskimo's story for example. The Egyptian ex-husband took their daughter back to Egypt where she gets raised now by the grandparents - although it happpened with her consent as far as I believe.

I also agree that your life as a single foreigner in Egypt is much easier than if you have to live with your Egyptian family because of cultural pressure. Everything what you do - may it good or be bad - reflects also your in-laws reputation.

Many foreign women live in different parts of Egypt, some are happy, some are not, some got accustomed as good as possible to the life there. It's all about how much you are willing to adjust.

You do can have a good life in Egypt if you have the finances. Your son can be educated at a internationally recognized school which are especially present in Cairo. Also your biggest chance of employment would be in the same area. Your family does have opportunities in Egypt. I am not aware of your current living situation and can't judge for your which way would be better. That's what you and your husband have to agree together. Good luck. [Smile]

And what decision my ex and I came to is common amoungst Egyptians abroad.

But its uncommon for an Egyptian guy to shack up with his foreign girlfriend in Egypt, even moreso to have his mother's blessing. More bizare is to have the Egyptian mother living with the two in their love nest. I wonder what you did to applease the building's owner and bawab to facilitate such a living arrangement! [Eek!]

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You must navigate your existance as if you are an Egyptian yourself. A lot of times the Egyptian husband doesn't bother to inform you of this, so you learn from BIL & SIL (brother in law and sister in law) only after you have committed a societal sin.

Take for instance, my mother was shopping for linen at the public souk in Alex. I was talking with my BIL and gentely shook my torso in a ghetto fashion. My BIL got really upset and glared at me without glancing down at my bossom to tell me I can't do that in Egypt. I had no idea. I've done it in front of my ex-husband to put emphasis on what I was saying and it didn't phase him.

So Egyptian husband or Egyptian family don't bother to instruct you on taboo behaviors, comments or how you go about daily activities until you have done wrong on Egyptian soil. [/QB]

Before marrying into a culture, such as the Egyptian one and certainly before travelling there, it is wise to read a little on the customs and traditions. Books such as Culture Shock! Egypt, by Susan Wilson, help with the the process of understanding.

Albino's bosom shaking gesture isn't even appropriate in the west, when shopping with ones in laws. Western women do have to adjust their behaviour, in Egypt, to make sure nothing is misread. This is difficult and can go against the grain but it is essential if you want to earn respect.

Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
Before marrying into a culture, such as the Egyptian one and certainly before travelling there, it is wise to read a little on the customs and traditions. Books such as Culture Shock! Egypt, by Susan Wilson, help with the the process of understanding.

Albino's bosom shaking gesture isn't even appropriate in the west, when shopping with ones in laws. Western women do have to adjust their behaviour, in Egypt, to make sure nothing is misread. This is difficult and can go against the grain but it is essential if you want to earn respect.

First off I read Culture Shock Egypt, the 1998 edition. It sounds as if Barnard Lewis had edited it himself. really bad advice in that book.

Secondly the torso shake, not the bossom shake, isn't the kind you see in rap videos. Its not meant in a sexual fashion at all. Its something I picked up from classmates who hail from Africa. Its a common tactic to set gender boundaries below the equator. But in Egypt its more of a "nubian" gesture and why it was not appreciated.

And to be familiar with the culture before jumping into a relationship doesn't mean spending 2 weeks in Luxor hunting down a boytoy.

I have lived with my ex day in and day out for 5 years. I am not a tourist in Egypt unlike many women who claim to know all of Egypt.

Just because your nation had colonized Egypt over a hundred years ago doesn't make you an expert. [Roll Eyes]

TMK
Member # 7180

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TMK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twoworlds,
We have similar backgrounds...but I chose to make the move to Egypt 8 years ago.

I feel there is no perfect country to live in, all have good and bad points.There are days that I wish to go back to the US and be closer to my family. That also means my husband and I would both need to work. But by living here I can stay home to raise my 2 children. Why do you feel living in the US that your son will have more opportunities? I think raising a muslim child in the US would be a challenge. Schooling in Cairo is taken very seriously, with great schools to choose from. Most children here learn to speak and write at least two languages from the age 4/5, and a thrird is added later. Religion is also taught in schools. I feel my son has a better grasp of whats going on in the world. He has Egyptian, American, Dutch, and South African freinds.

Moving to Egypt topic...I could go on forever, but you have to understand that it will change your life forever, and you have to be ready for the changes. It will be easier if you discuss major issues before you move.

-Where are you going to live? In Cairo? Going to rent or buy? Live with in-laws?
-Will your husband be able to secure a job to maintain the same lifestyle that you are accustom to now? (took my husband a year to find a good job)
-Where will your child go to school? Good schools are expensive.
-Will you be able to wear what you want? This is a big issue with most of my freinds.
-Will you be able to go out alone? Drive a car?
-Will you be able to travel to US and visit family?
-Will you still be able to celebrate Christmas,and Easter?

Key to a successful transition is knowing what your getting into. Like I said I could go on forever. If you need any other advice..let me know. Good Luck!

Posts: 40 | From: cairo | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Albino_Eskimo*:
quote:

First off I read Culture Shock Egypt, the 1998 edition. It sounds as if Barnard Lewis had edited it himself. really bad advice in that book.

Secondly the torso shake, not the bossom shake, isn't the kind you see in rap videos. Its not meant in a sexual fashion at all. Its something I picked up from classmates who hail from Africa. Its a common tactic to set gender boundaries below the equator. But in Egypt its more of a "nubian" gesture and why it was not appreciated.

And to be familiar with the culture before jumping into a relationship doesn't mean spending 2 weeks in Luxor hunting down a boytoy.

I have lived with my ex day in and day out for 5 years. I am not a tourist in Egypt unlike many women who claim to know all of Egypt.

Just because your nation had colonized Egypt over a hundred years ago doesn't make you an expert. [Roll Eyes]

Rolls Albino's eyes back to her - she is blind enough with them. I don't claim to be an expert on Egypt. You disrespect the culture and those spending time there, by inferring sexual tourism drives all visits to the country. If you had read Culture Shock, you would have at least gleaned how women are expected to behave (albeit, the book is written from an ultra conservative, dated perspective).

You just make up rubbish to defend ridiculous behaviour. Have you even been to Aswan or south of there? I can assure you that Nubian women don't go around shaking there 'bosoms' in the souk, to set gender boundaries.

This is a global forum. Albino is free to post anything she likes but it is from the perspective of someone who has barely spent any time in Egypt, living in America, with an ex husband. The women that she disparages probably spend more time in Egypt, than she ever will.

Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twoworlds
Member # 11735

Rate Member
Albino Eskimo

I did not heard about htis before.... "Egyptian husband benefits financially *aka manwhore*" Can you please explain?

Thanks!

Twoworlds
Member # 11735

Rate Member
Princess Tigerlily*, SayWhatYouSee and Tmk thanks for sharing your experiences with me....
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=Orfi&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=w ww.egyptsearch.com&as_rights=&safe=images

237 results are a small fraction of the actual posts on ES having to do with this type of business transaction.

I didn't know about this until I found ES, when I did find out about this underground investment scheme and relayed the info that I understood what it was about to my ex; he sh*t himself.

I consider about 1/10 of the threads on ES revolve around this type of relationship/business transaction. Its just not worded that way.

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Rolls Albino's eyes back to her - she is blind enough with them. I don't claim to be an expert on Egypt. You disrespect the culture and those spending time there, by inferring sexual tourism drives all visits to the country. If you had read Culture Shock, you would have at least gleaned how women are expected to behave (albeit, the book is written from an ultra conservative, dated perspective).

You just make up rubbish to defend ridiculous behaviour. Have you even been to Aswan or south of there? I can assure you that Nubian women don't go around shaking there 'bosoms' in the souk, to set gender boundaries.

This is a global forum. Albino is free to post anything she likes but it is from the perspective of someone who has barely spent any time in Egypt, living in America, with an ex husband. The women that she disparages probably spend more time in Egypt, than she ever will. [/QB]

SayWhatYouSee, I don't mean to get in the way but maybe you are not accustomed to Albino's bitter sarcasm which would make her sound like she's exaggerating..... LOL [Big Grin] but I find her posts extremely funny

I guess she's someone who has been through a bad experience & there's nothing wrong in sharing that too.... it's good to see the two opposite sides of the coin.

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Twoworlds,

I wish you luck in deciding what to do. You are absolutely right about the difference between going on vacation and actually living there. Fortunately, there seems to be quite a few women on this forum who can help you, especially those living in Egypt now.

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

This is a global forum. Albino is free to post anything she likes but it is from the perspective of someone who has barely spent any time in Egypt, living in America, with an ex husband. The women that she disparages probably spend more time in Egypt, than she ever will.

You know I can't stand resurrected ES usernames from the past. Irritates me to no avail. You are Khadija by any chance, you know that really annoying resurrected username from a year ago. It seems as if you create a new ES username in time for vacation every year.

No I haven't been down south or Upper Egypt. Don't want to see it ever. But its phenomenal population growth is just within the last 40 years. A bulk of Egypt's population over the last millenia is been in Lower Egypt, which my in-laws hail from.

If you understood anything about Subsaharan African culture you'd understand that the Torso gesture is a non-sexual gesture. Its done by ghettoized women, which is 85% of the population. I remember being introduced to a few classmates wives. They spoke with a very heavy lower German accent. A classmate who was from the netherlands gaufed at their attempt to speak English with a non-Afrikan accent. Another wife I met tried in vain to speak with a London accent and our IT instructor laughed at her and asked if her English teacher was from Manchester.

You see Subsaharan Afrikan women try real hard to behave as if they have spent most of their life in Europe. They decieve themselves into this image only to compromise this facade with this torso gesture.

When I did this it was a jest to my BIL who is a English instructor at a public school. Many of his university professors had the same need to project their "Europeanness" and many of them were female. It was my way of letting him know that he can attempt to be something he's not, but it isn't fooling me.

I have never said that sexual tourism derives all visits to Egypt. You can imply that thinking that Egyptians will believe whatever an English person states, but again you are only fooling yourself.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004716;p=1#000005

Is the thread that still bothers you immensely. Good it shows you have some guilt and some shame.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000624;p=1#000037

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002120;p=1#000020

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=005550;p=1

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=005342;p=1#000017

Now possibly you are feeling a great deal of regret for your own purpose in visiting Egypt.

I visit Egypt to see relatives and only for that reason. I don't even get to see many tourist attractiions and I stay in very Egyptian neighborhoods.

My experiences in Egypt are the complete opposite of yours.

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Chinderella, all views are interesting, whether I agree with them or not. We learn by balancing the bad and good. All voices should be welcome to contribute. You are certainly not getting in the way!
Twoworlds
Member # 11735

Rate Member
Hi YMK...

It's nice to hear you chose to move there... Even though my husband is not pushing me sometimes I feel I don't have another option....

I agree with you there is not perfect place.. I have lived in USA for 8 years.. I am from a country in South America. I am happy here. I think this country has more career opportunities. This country is organized, there are rules, you can meet people from different backgrounds, and even people who make little money can afford almost everything.

My husband always dreamed to live here. As many of us we follow the American Dream....

I want my son lo learn English perfectly... If we move to Egypt, he will study in English schools. How much is a private Engish school in Cairo for 5 years old?

I don't even celebrate Christmas at home. It's not fair! He promises to me if we move there I will chave Christmas tree at home because I will be minority there.. (I am Catholic) But here in America, Muslims are minority. So, he thinks our son should not celebrate Christmas at home here in USA. He wants to teach him, he is Muslim and Christmas is not his holiday. I disagreed because he should also learn Christmas is mommy holiday!

My husband was not religious before we got married.. I guess he is more religious now.. I strongly believe in God, but in spite of the religion you should always consider the feelings of the people you love...

Many thanks!!!!

Keep in touch..

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chinderella on the Left wing:
SayWhatYouSee, I don't mean to get in the way but maybe you are not accustomed to Albino's bitter sarcasm which would make her sound like she's exaggerating..... LOL [Big Grin] but I find her posts extremely funny

I guess she's someone who has been through a bad experience & there's nothing wrong in sharing that too.... it's good to see the two opposite sides of the coin.

Cinematic give it some time. that other board will wear down on you in time.

Just because I don't stand at attention and expect "little European" behavior from Egyptians and I chose to see Egypt in a light from a non-tourist perspective. Not to mention that I don't really appreciate that most Egyptian egy-board members are nouve-rich recently in the top 5% income bracket, doesn't mean squat.

many nouve-rich or Egyptian aboard like to pretend as if Egypt is no different from Europe. Its totally normal for Egyptians on these egy-boards to pretend as if they aren't one generation from balady quarters in Imbaba and Shoubra.

Hell I wouldn't doubt most egy-board members are desperately hiding their birth certificates marked "Menoufia".

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Albino,

Let me state this as plainly as I possibly can:

I am genuinely a newbie to this forum.

Please put your paranoia aside, just long enough to have a reasonable discussion? It doesn't matter if the gesture you described is common on Mars - it was still inappropriate to use it in an Egyptian souk, when accompanied by your Egyptian in laws. That you even seek to defend such behaviour shows a stubbornness bordering on stupidity.

Rather than just deal with the discussion, you pull out past threads, trying to link me with some other forum SN. Can't you see how deranged this makes you look? Your actions are that of a very irrational person.

Deal with the argument. Stop behaving like a child when someone questions your posts.

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
''You can imply that thinking that Egyptians will believe whatever an English person states, but again you are only fooling yourself.'' Albino

I am not English, wrong again!

Albino, being wrong doesn't become you, yet you just stumble on and on, inventing and fabricating, rather than looking for facts. You have no clue how long I have spent in Egypt or how that time is spent. Stop making things up.

What I can tell you is that your few visits to Egypt, barely amounting to 8 weeks, in total, will have shown you only a glimpse of life there. This is apparent in your posts.

Twoworlds
Member # 11735

Rate Member
Hi Chinderella on the Left wing

I think I am getting some answers.. Do you believe this coincidence??

Do you believe in Destiny?????? Please read my posting...........
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=011560

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
SayWhatYouSee you desperately want things to work out in your favor. Your holiday romance is every year, you come here post under a new username only to do the same thing, bash me.

Don't you consider that other ES usernames notice that a good chunk of your posts are bashing me?

Besides how much time have you spent in Egypt? Are you married to an Egyptian? And when you are in Egypt how much of that time is spent living in an actual Egyptian home versus a hotel room?

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Albino,

I am not 'bashing' you. If you say ridiculous things, expect to have them challenged. I truly hate to burst your bubble of lies but I am happily married to a lovely British man.

It's plain from your posts that you have a sad life and a great deal of bitterness. Your seem incapable of being objective or separating personal experience from fact. Everyone hasn't had a torrid love affair/marriage to an Egyptian man. There are decent, caring Egyptian men out there, as friends of my family prove. Learn to accept that some people are happy with their marriage and feel no need to be unfaithful. Your pain jumps off every page but the sympathy I have for you is qualified, as you appear to be bonkers.

This doesn't mean that you haven't got some interesting views or that you are always wrong. I try to be fair. I ask that you do the same. Not everyone feels the need to spew out their every waking thought online. Perhaps if you exposed less of your personal life online, you would be subject to less criticism.

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi all,

I would like to know how your life as foreigner in Egypt is.

I married my husband 6 six years ago. We live in US. My husband is from Egypt. He has lived in US for 15 years. When I married him to move to Egypt was not in his future plans. His mind has changed. Now, we have a child, and he wants to raise him in Egypt with strong Muslim values. I am not Muslim. I am Catholic. Before I got married, I accepted to raise my child as a Muslim. I am ok wih that. But the idea to live in Egypt terrified me. I like to go to Egypt on vacation.. I really think people are very kind, my husband's family is wonderful. I like the food there. We go every year for vacation. I enjoy going on vacation, but to live there its different story.
Every time I discuss with my husband to go there, I get so deppresed.
I think my son will have better opportunities in US.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience...

Warm regards.

I would not worry unlike some of the posters on this thread I do actually live in Egypt and with my 15 year old daughter. I am a Christian and my husband is Muslim. My daughter is from my previous marriage but is half Arab and Christian.

I find the life here much better for children. After all we don't get students being shot at schools here. I am happy to be bringing my daughter up here. She is bilingual and this will give her many more opportunities. she is safe walking to school, I don't worry about her beinging offered drugs or getting into 'trouble'.

I think if you get on well with his family and go with an open mind you will love it to. I presume he will have a good job and your lifestyle will be much better than in the states. If you are living in Cairo there are loads of Western clubs and activities. I believe Alex is good for this as well. In luxor where I live there is much less but I still love it more because of the peace and quiet.

Of course you are right living is very different from visiting but if you have enjoyed visiitng then you are half way there. Just relax and think outside the box. Enjoy!!!

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
quote:

Cinematic give it some time. that other board will wear down on you in time.

Just because I don't stand at attention and expect "little European" behavior from Egyptians and I chose to see Egypt in a light from a non-tourist perspective. Not to mention that I don't really appreciate that most Egyptian egy-board members are nouve-rich recently in the top 5% income bracket, doesn't mean squat.

many nouve-rich or Egyptian aboard like to pretend as if Egypt is no different from Europe. Its totally normal for Egyptians on these egy-boards to pretend as if they aren't one generation from balady quarters in Imbaba and Shoubra.

Hell I wouldn't doubt most egy-board members are desperately hiding their birth certificates marked "Menoufia".

LOL Albino my dear, Again I think you still need to rally

My previous post, if you paid good attention to it, was not intended to make fun of you or bash you. But if you interpret it that way.... feel free.

I am not nouveau riche nor was born in Menufia or came from Shubra. I am riche without the nouveau.

I am simply an upper middle class citizien & I have always been that way.... & so was my family since a hundred years ago

I am born in Cairo & I live in heliopolis..... And all my family members were born in Cairo.... We went to the best schools & universities in Egypt & travelled abroad.

We don't even socailize with the pretentious balady nouveau riche you are talking about. Nor do we socialize with low working class europeans or Americans who live here & pretend they are something

So please don't pretend again like you know it all..... coz you don't.

Just like I told you TwoWorlds, I was right..... pretty soon this thread will turn into a huge catfight & guess what? It did

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

And since your post, Albino, is too general & too snobbish..... then expect mine to be so too!

--------------------
Femme Fatale

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
And since your post, Albino, is too general & too snobbish..... then expect mine to be so too!

How could it be snobbish? Or be generlizing in nature?

I pointed out that there are different societal levels in Egypt, different ways of interpreting Egyptian society and how being abroad or staying put affects how one percieves their culture. I also illustrated how many of the top 5% want to disguise their balady roots and pretend that their entire family history is of Cairo and nothing else.

You are just ticked that I can see many dimensions and inconsistancies in the Egyptian self-image.

Now why not go back lick your wounds and discuss how Egyptian university degrees are recognized abroad. Or get to know Zayton better, you see he's going to sell his father's business and put many Egyptians out of work so he can drag less than 7,000 Euros to his new bride and his new Euro passport.

Its all about you! Forget pride in your culture, nation and its future; Its all about you!

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Albino...... quit behaving like an expert on the Egyptian culture you seem to know little about..... I am not one those 5% you are describing [Roll Eyes]

You havent met me & you know nothing about me..... you are as judgemental as the Egyptians, you're just too blind to see it [Roll Eyes]

Your knownledge of Egypt is only through your "not that great" husband................. no wonder why you think they are all from shubra & men whores & ..... bla bla [Roll Eyes]

And no.... it's all about you Albino...it's all about you

You know what Albino? i used to like untill this moment

I used to think you're smart, sarcastic & funny

But not anymore... I am disappointed in you

back off

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
Albino...... quit behaving like an expert on the Egyptian culture you seem to know little about..... I am not one those 5% you are describing [Roll Eyes]

You havent met me & you know nothing about me..... you are as judgemental as the Egyptians, you're just too blind to see it [Roll Eyes]

Your knownledge of Egypt is only through your "not that geart" husband..... no wonder why you think they are all from shubra & men whores & ..... bla bla [Roll Eyes]

back off

The point is non-Arabs are too stupid to understand the great vastness and superiority of Egyptians.

If we westerners were born with God's blessing we'd have the genetic, spiritual and intellectual capacity to understand a vastly superior race. 3:110.

But since were are unbelievers and are so very below you we can't possibly begin to understand how good, believing and completely correct in God's image people are supposed to live according to God's plan.

At least my ex is honest. He doesn't pretend to be something he isn't.

and if you understood what the revolution did to Cairne society you'd understand that the top 2% immediately left and the populace of Shubra invaded the rest of Cairo. Thus the vast majority of Cairnes that can claim to have been in Cairo for more than 2 generations are in fact from Shubra and Imbaba type communities.

The rest left to get away from the people of Shubra and Imbaba.

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
quote:

Your knownledge of Egypt is only through your "not that geart" husband..... no wonder why you think they are all from shubra & men whores & ..... bla bla [Roll Eyes]

back off

The point is non-Arabs are too stupid to understand the great vastness and superiority of Egyptians.

If we westerners were born with God's blessing we'd have the genetic, spiritual and intellectual capacity to understand a vastly superior race. 3:110.

But since were are unbelievers and are so very below you we can't possibly begin to understand how good, believing and completely correct in God's image people are supposed to live according to God's plan.

and if you understood what the revolution did to Cairne society you'd understand that the top 2% immediately left and the populace of Shubra invaded the rest of Cairo. Thus the vast majority of Cairnes that can claim to have been in Cairo for more than 2 generations are in fact from Shubra and Imbaba type communities.

Albino, you have no idea what you're talking about.... so please don't embarrass yourself once more.
Heliopolis is only 100 years old but since a long time ago there was Zamalek & Garden City....not only Shubra & Imbaba.... but I cant balme you if you believe so since your husband sounds like he grew up there.

My Granpa was a Pasha my dear

And FYI, those leaving the country are no way the top.... some of them are trash

What about you Albino? would you give me a brief history of yourself. btw, i dont consider myself superior but you do.... You think you are better than anybody in this country because you are American..... same old typical American arrogance & ignorance [Roll Eyes]

And what's that talk about believers & non believrs..... who's talking about religion in this thread?

You know what Albino? i used to like you untill this moment
But not anymore... I am disappointed in you [Eek!]

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

back off

Albino, you have no idea what you're talking about.... so please don't embarrass yourself once more.
Heliopolis is only 100 years old but since a long time ago there was Zamalek & Garden City....not only Shubra & Imbaba.... but I cant balme you if you believe so since your husband sounds like he grew up there.

My Granpa was a Pasha my dear

And FYI, those leaving the country are no way the top.... some of them are trash

What about you Albino? would you give me a brief history of yourself. btw, i dont consider myself superior but you do.... becasue you think you are better than anybody in thie country becasue you are American..... same old typical American arrogance & ignorance [Roll Eyes]

You know what Albino? i used to like you untill this moment
But not anymore... I am disappointed in you

Every Egyptian abroad on ES claims to have pashas for ancestors.

Really a weak, weak, weak claim to make by now. [Roll Eyes]

And if you read my post you know I didn't make any kind of comment to my Americanness or America at all.

Best way to argue is to stick with actual comments and not to make things up as you go along. Using someone's actual words against them is much stronger than slander. [Big Grin]

antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
انا هسيبكم تتطلعوا الكبت الي جواكم
ده عاده صحية
i will let u discharge the inner imprisoned stuff inside ur heart. this is a helathy habbit

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sheikh_batman.:
ده عاده صحية
i will let u discharge the inner imprisoned stuff inside ur heart. this is a helathy habbit

Hey Batty,

Now are you going to declare to all of us here that you have a grandfather who's a pascha too? an Alley in Agouza have a Palace for you?

Instead of Newbie, Members, Junior Members and so forth it should be varrying degrees of paschaness! [Wink]

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:

And if you read my post you know I didn't make any kind of comment to my Americanness or America at all.

Best way to argue is to stick with actual comments and not to make things up as you go along. Using someone's actual words against them is much stronger than slander. [Big Grin] [/QB]

And what's that talk about believers & non believers..... who's talking about religion in this thread.

You are american & you think you are better than Egyptians

Listen Albino, Egypt is not perfect & I am the first to point that out if you ever cared to look at my posts on ES

And yes my ancestors were pasha's but i dont need that to feel good about myself... i know who I am

You are so aggresive Albino.... god... you can be stupid sometimes you did not get my compliment in my post above. Where the hell is that ideal Standard contract?

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
quote:
ده عاده صحية

Hey Batty,

Now are you going to declare to all of us here that you have a grandfather who's a pascha too? an Alley in Agouza have a Palace for you?

Instead of Newbie, Members, Junior Members and so forth it should be varrying degrees of paschaness! [Wink]

You are rediculous Albino
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Best way to argue is to stick with actual comments and not to make things up as you go along. Using someone's actual words against them is much stronger than slander. [Big Grin]

And what's that talk about believers & non believers..... who's talking about religion in this thread.

You are american & you think you are better than Egyptians

Listen Albino, Egypt is not perfect & I am the first to point that out if you ever cared to look at my posts on ES

And yes my ancestors were pasha's but i dont need that to feel good about myself... i know who I am

You are so aggresive Albino.... god... you can be stupid sometimes you did not get my compliment in my post above. Where the hell is that ideal Standard contract? [/QB]

When did I ever say America was better than Egypt?

Now if I was a European and made that kind of remark you'd be all over me agreeing. But its not the kind of remark I will and have made.

Sorry dear, you are off your mark again. Everyone loves to paint each American with the same brush of arrogance and ignorance. It allows you to feel morally superior when that just isn't the case.

Why not stick with the facts and my actual comments instead of running to cliches? It will make you more credible. [Cool]

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Yet again, Albino continues to embarrass herself. Although I have had the odd skirmish with Chinderella, even I could see that she was trying to be kind to Albino. I would urge Chinderella not to judge all Americans by the behaviour of one.

Those living in Egypt understand the reality of life there, in a way that someone who has visited a few times never can (even with a short lived marriage to an Egyptian ex).

I'm glad that the views expressed to Twoworlds, from those living in Egypt, show the positive side too.

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
ده عاده صحية

Hey Batty,

You are rediculous Albino
No its really what needs to happen. Everyone's a Pascha.

Despite the fact that the only way to have any kind of wealth before 1952 was to own agricultural land in huge proportion. Now the vast majority of land owners were foreigners; Turks, Greeks, few Italians and large number of British administrators. Now if an actual Egyptian owned agricultural lands (feddans) he/she wouldn't be in such a hurry to disregard the lower 85% from the Egyptian societal system. By denying that there are Balady societal dominance points to one's implication of being from Balady roots. Very few Egyptians of land owning history would be so quick to "Europeanize" their Egyptian experience. Hence they would be more authentic.

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Originally posted by Everyone's_a_Pascha:
When did I ever say America was better than Egypt?

Now if I was a European and made that kind of remark you'd be all over me agreeing. But its not the kind of remark I will and have made.

Sorry dear, you are off your mark again. Everyone loves to paint each American with the same brush of arrogance and ignorance. It allows you to feel morally superior when that just isn't the case.

Why not stick with the facts and my actual comments instead of running to cliches? It will make you more credible. [Cool] [/QB]

There are no cliches...... you are an American & that's a fact & you were not exposed to our culture fairly & that's a fact..... you married a bad Egyptian man who represents the typical balay man in Egypt & that's a fact... That's how you think you know what you know.....you are misinformed or misjudge based on a tough experience & that's a fact & you look down on us & that's a fact
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Yet again, Albino continues to embarrass herself. Although I have had the odd skirmish with Chinderella, even I could see that she was trying to be kind to Albino. I would urge Chinderella not to judge all Americans by the behaviour of one.

Those living in Egypt understand the reality of life there, in a way that someone who has visited a few times never can (even with a short lived marriage to an Egyptian ex).

I'm glad that the views expressed to Twoworlds, from those living in Egypt, show the positive side too.

I know I was generalizing but it's just the same way Albino was generalizing Egyptians
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
There are no cliches...... you are an American & that's a fact & you were not exposed to our culture fairly & that's a fact..... you married a bad Egyptian man who represents the typical balay man in Egypt & that's a fact... That's how you think you know what you know.....you are misinformed or misjudge based on a tough experience & that's a fact & you look down on us & that's a fact

Actually my ex comes from a land owning family and thus never had to move to Cairo for an elevation in societal standards.

He comes from a long line of Hajjis.

The reason why he isn't "Euroworshiping" like yourself is because he has pride in his Egyptianness. He didn't need to move to Europe in order to gain social elevation.

He doesn't feel the need to insult the lowerclasses because without them he wouldn't have his soceital position he does.

I grew up in a very affluent suburb. Its old money area and very few of the trust-fund children felt fear of poverty. Only someone who is nouve-riche is afraid of the poor and poverty because they themselves are one step out of the gutter. So I never developed a fear of poverty.

So many Egyptians abroad on this board (along with a number of foreign wives of Egyptians) are desperately afriad of the poor and baladism.

I find it fascinating and really hilarious! [Razz]

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
''I know I was generalizing but it's just the same way Albino was generalizing Egyptians''

You made that clear, Chinderella!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com