EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cairo's Black Cloud (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cairo's Black Cloud
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Cairo Residents,

I would like to know how you are feeling nowadays. Please share your feelings about the infamous "Black Cloud".

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2004/716/li1.htm

Ya mama!!

Even mother nature has had it with the thugs. [Wink]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was one of Mubarak's farts

What else do you think it is?

--------------------
Femme Fatale

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liquidsixer
Member # 12136

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for liquidsixer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm considering a move to Cairo in August of next year, for six months. My biggest concern is the pollution. I had some breathing problems in the past. I have a condition called Sarcoidosis. I feel fine now, but don't know how this will effect my health. [Frown]
Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liamhanna
Member # 12272

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for liamhanna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so does anyone know what it really is. I thought it had something to do with burning the rice crop's trash.

--------------------
Without the serious possibility of error there can be no freedom; and in the long run, without freedom and independence there can be no real love. ~
Rudolf Frieling

Posts: 39 | From: LA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katanga we bass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChinderallaAngelTormentor CAT:

Hey watch your mouth ok [Mad]
Mubarak is not a kidding matter [Mad] [Mad]

Posts: 743 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by liamhanna:
so does anyone know what it really is. I thought it had something to do with burning the rice crop's trash.

Thats the governments official edict. But how often do we actually believe the government and their evaluation of social ills?

No I consider its more on the lines of all those cars that use "leaded gas".

Parliment was trying to outlaw those cars and have them phased out over 5 years.

The WHO had done a study on air polution in Cairo. vehicle and industrial exhaust was at the top of the list.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strategies for controlling mobile emissions in Cairo

Samir A. El Mowafi, Ahmed Gamal Atalla

The Authors

Samir A. El Mowafi, Regional Center for Environment Protection & Pollution Prevention (RCEP3), Nasr City, Egypt
Ahmed Gamal Atalla, Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (UN-ESCWA), Riad el-Solh Square, Lebanon

Abstract

Purpose – The objective of this paper is to evaluate the potential sustainable transportation strategies for Cairo in terms of their impact on emissions over the next ten years. The considered strategies include using cleaner fuel, implementing inspection and maintenance programs and adopting emission standards for new vehicles.

Design/methodology/approach – The strategies were evaluated in terms of the expected reductions of particulate matter (PM) and ozone precursors due to the future implementation. Emissions were estimated utilizing a mix of the relevant national and international. Accordingly, a three-phase integrated strategy is recommended, considering the local technical and institutional aspects.

Findings – In case of no actions taken, emissions of PM and ozone precursors could increase at the year 2013 by 95 and 50 percent, respectively. Implementing the proposed integrated strategy could result in reducing the emissions of PM and ozone precursors by about 53 and 49 percent, respectively.

Practical implications – The proposed strategy is applicable because the targets are set considering the local aspects. However, the estimated emission reductions could almost compensate for the increase in the fleet size over the time. Therefore, achieving real reductions of emissions requires additional strategies to be considered.

Originality/value – Owing to the lack of local emission factors and measurements, this original work highlights the expected impacts of the potential strategies for controlling vehicle emissions in Cairo. Also, the findings indicate the need to consider other additional strategies in the long term planning process.
Article Type: Viewpoint
Keyword(s): Sustainable development; Egypt; Road transport; Road vehicles.

Management of Environmental Quality: An International Journal
Volume 16 Number 5 2005 pp. 548-559

Introduction

Egypt, like some other developing countries, suffers a number of transportation-related environmental problems. Deteriorating air quality is the main environmental problem in urban areas, e.g. Cairo. In this context, a study on health risks due to air pollution in Cairo was conducted (Smith, 1999). The study indicated that approximately 3 percent of the population is chronically exposed to PM10 levels above 100 μg/m3, compared to 48 percent exposed to 100-50 μg/m3 and 49 percent exposed to 50-5 μg/m3 PM10. Thus, it was suggested that Cairo air pollution causes about 3,400 premature deaths, 28 million restricted activity days and other additional cases of air pollution-related diseases, e.g. asthma attacks and chronic bronchitis. Later, the World Bank conducted a study on the costs of environmental degradation in Egypt (World Bank, 2002). Based on annual average concentration of PM10, it was estimated that about 20,000 people are dying, prematurely every year due to urban air pollution in the two metropolitan areas. Combined with illness from air pollution, the annual loses were estimated at 450,000 disability adjusted life year (DALYs). This corresponds to 0.7-2.3 of GDP per year. About 92 percent of the total DALYs are in the Greater Cairo because of the higher air pollution and larger population. The findings of both studies indicate the significant benefits that could be achieved by implementing the proper abatement measures to improve air quality in Cairo.

The energy sector is recognized as a main source of air pollution. Energy statistics indicate that transportation sector consumes about one third of the primary energy consumption, i.e. fossil fuels (Lucas, 2003). A more detailed study on air pollution in Cairo indicated that the contribution of vehicles in the emissions of fine particulates PM2.5 ranges between 18 and 32 percent, depending on the area and season (CAIP, 2002).

Previous studies on the transportation system in Egypt indicated that road transportation represents about 87 percent of the total intercity freights (38.77 billion ton-km), and 100 percent of the urban freights (1.87 billion ton-km). In the case of passenger transportation, the total intercity capacity (115 billion passenger-km) can be divided between road transportation (57.2 percent) and railways (42.8 percent). In urban transportation (about 116 billions passenger-km), road transportation represents about 85 percent of the capacity, and the rest is mainly transported by metro and trams (Hassan, 1999).

Published statistics (CAPMAS, 2003), show that the on-road fleet has a total number of about 3,328,000 vehicles. According to the licensing system, Egypt's fleet comprises private cars (1,509,435), taxis (329,245), buses (58,795), trucks (604,076) and motorcycles (539,570). Greater Cairo, as a highly populated area (about 15 million persons) accommodates about 50 percent of the road transportation fleet. Thus, the objective of this paper is to investigate the potential strategies for sustainable road transportation in Greater Cairo.

Methodology

In order to estimate the impact of the considered strategies, vehicle emissions were calculated using a set of emission factors (g/km) and activity data (km) i.e. vehicles traveled mileage (VTM). In general, developing local emission factors requires huge amount of data on emission measurements and analyses under actual or simulated loading conditions using chassis dynamometers, which is not the case in Egypt. Thus, vehicles emissions are estimated according to the following methodology and assumptions.

1. The considered strategies are evaluated over a ten-year period (2003-2013). The impact of each strategy is expressed by the resulting reduction in annual emissions at the year 2013.
2. The emissions of a pollutant, e.g. particulate matters (PM)i,j,k, for the year (i) from a specific vehicle category (j) subject to a certain control strategy (k) is calculated as follows: Equation 1 where EFj,k (g/km) is the utilized emission factor and VTMi is the estimated annual mileage for the considered category.
3. Vehicles statistics for the past five years were utilized in estimating the increase of the size for each vehicle category over the next ten-year period. The traveled distance (VTM) per vehicle is estimated for each category, based on the norms being used in the local context.
4. The considered emissions include particulate matter (PM), total hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), and nitrogen oxides (NOx). PM and the group of ozone precursors (CO, HC and NOx) are presented separately. As all of these pollutants contribute to Cairo's air pollution episodes known as “black cloud”, total emissions are also presented as a rough indicator for vehicle emissions.
5. The utilized emission factors are based on international experience, i.e. European and USA. As an exceptional case, the local laboratory measurements of exhaust emissions using a heavy duty chassis dynamometer are utilized.

Baseline emissions

Baseline emissions were roughly estimated using the available statistics (CAPMAS, 2003) and assumptions on the vehicle categorization and VTM for each category, Table I.

The identified emission factors are presented in Table II, based on the following assumptions:

1. Gasoline vehicles (LG). The average emissions of the European vehicles, 1970-1990 for engine size 1,400-2,000 cc (Faiz, 1996). PM emissions of motorcycles (M/C) are based on the average emission data from US uncontrolled two-stroke motorcycles (Chan and Christopher, 1994).
2. Light duty vehicles (L/MD). The emission factors are based on European cars and light duty diesel vehicles in urban driving (Faiz et al., 1996).
3. Heavy duty vehicles (HDD). The test measurements conducted in Egypt for a sample of transit buses using a heavy duty chassis dynamometer were utilized for this category (CAIP, 2004).

Baseline emissions for the period 2003-2013, if no actions are taken “business as usual”, are estimated based on the previous methodology and assumptions. The values for the starting and end points of the baseline, i.e. 2003 and 2013, are presented in Table III. In addition, the estimated baseline for the total emissions is graphically shown in Figure 1. Roughly, vehicular emissions of PM and ozone precursors could increase by about 95 and 50 percent, respectively.

Sustainable transportation strategies

The strategies for controlling vehicles emissions are presented in an integrated approach comprising the interaction among these strategies (Walsh, 2004). The presented approach involves four inter-linked groups of strategies including clean fuels, appropriate maintenance, clean vehicle technology and transportation and land use planning. Within the Egyptian context, the strategies for utilizing natural gas (NG), inspection and maintenance programs (I/M) and adopting emission standards for new vehicles are herein considered. Thus, transportation and land use planning is out of the scope of this paper. For each strategy, the current status and the potential environmental impact in terms of emission reduction are investigated considering the technical and non-technical aspects in the local context. The estimated emission reductions due to implementing each of the strategies are presented in Tables IV-VI. In addition, a comparison between the impacts of the three strategies is graphically shown in Figure 2.

Clean fuels

Strategies for utilizing clean fuels are mainly based on improving fuel specifications and/or using of alternative cleaner fuels. Improved fuel specifications, e.g. reduced sulfur content in fuel oil and phasing out lead of gasoline, are key elements in utilizing advanced emission control technologies in new vehicles. This aspect is considered later in this paper while presenting the strategy for implementing emission standards for new vehicles. In the context of utilizing cleaner fuel, NG has many desirable qualities as a fuel for spark ignition engines. The penetration of NG vehicles in heavy-duty fleets is still minuscule (Faiz, 1996). NG is both abundant and cheap in Egypt (CAPMAS, 2003; EGAS, 2003). Thus, it is recommended to enhance the utilization of NG in the transportation sector, as a strategy for utilizing alternative cleaner fuel.

Currently, Egypt is implementing a successful program for utilizing compressed natural gas (CNG) in transportation. To date, about 60,000 vehicles are utilizing CNG as an alternative fuel. Taxis (small and light duty microbuses) represent about 80 percent of this group of vehicles (EGAS, 2003). The program includes economic incentives and the necessary technical support, which encourage the conversion of this category to use CNG. A properly selected catalytic converter has to be included in the conversion kit to control the expected high-levels of NOx and methane emissions. For the heavy duty vehicles, a demonstration fleet comprising 50 transit buses, equipped with CNG dedicated engines, is operating in Greater Cairo since 2002 (CAIP, 2004).

Since the technology of converting spark-ignition engines to operate with NG is well established, no unavoidable technical obstacles are foreseen for using CNG in all gasoline powered vehicles. Practically, conversion is viable for engines of good technical conditions, which is not the case for a remarkable portion of the existing fleet as very old vehicles are still running, at minimal levels of maintenance. In addition, a considerable portion of the trunk space has to be occupied by the CNG cylinders, which represents an obstacle for the conversion of the private cars. In the case of heavy-duty vehicles, using CNG dedicated engines is feasible for transit buses. On the other hand, CNG is not a practical option for heavy-duty vehicles that are operated for long ranges. This is due to the limitation on the size of the on-board CNG cylinders and the availability of NG fuelling stations. Alternatively, liquefied NG provides a much higher fuel carrying capacity (Wegrzyn et al., 1999). The technology for liquefying NG is being established in Egypt for exportation reasons.

In order to estimate the impact of this strategy, assumptions have been made for the targeted percentages of vehicles that could utilize CNG by the end of the ten-year period, as follows:

* passenger and light duty Gasoline vehicles. Private (18-20 percent) – taxis (50 percent) – government (30 percent).
* Light and medium duty diesel vehicles. Microbuses (50 percent) – government (30 percent)
* Heavy duty diesel vehicles. Transit buses (50 percent) – private buses (50 percent) – government (50 percent) – trucks (25 percent).

Accordingly, a total of about 340,000 vehicles are assumed to utilize NG. A previous study proposed a national master plan to expand the utilization of NG in transportation (EGAS, 2003). The targeted fleet at the year 2013 ranges between 136,000 and 370,000 vehicles, depending on the type of barriers that could be removed. Thus, the assumptions are reasonably on the optimistic side.

Emission factors for vehicles using CNG are not available for the whole range of vehicle categories because the applications of this technology are limited. Therefore, the available information was employed to develop rough emission estimates based on the following assumptions.

* The emissions of a Minivan operated by CNG in the USA were utilized to represent the average emission factors for the light and medium duty vehicles (Faiz, 1996).
* Results of the laboratory tests using a chassis dynamometer for a sample of CNG-transit buses were used as the average emission factors for the heavy duty vehicles (CAIP, 2004).

In summary, vehicle emissions after implementing this strategy are estimated and the expected reductions at year 2013 are shown in Table IV. Compared to the baseline, implementing this strategy could reduce emissions of PM and ozone precursors by 20 and 22 percent, respectively.

Inspection and maintenance programs

Inspection and I/M are necessary for ensuring that the vehicles and emission controls are properly maintained. Simple programs require sampling and analysis of exhaust emissions of gasoline engines at idle speed (s), i.e. under no load conditions. In the case of diesel engines, exhaust smoke opacity is measured at high idle speed, i.e. free acceleration. Emission data produced by these tests cannot be used in calculating vehicle emissions under load conditions. On the other hand, enhanced I/M programs for cars and light duty vehicles include vehicle testing and emissions measurements under standardized load conditions (driving cycle) using chassis dynamometers. Such tests provide more realistic emission data.

In 2003, Egypt initiated an enforced vehicle emission-testing program (VET) in Greater Cairo. The program is based on simple exhaust analysis and measurements at no load conditions. The test is part of the safety inspection that is required every three years for private cars and annually for other vehicles. Currently, emissions of motorcycles are not tested due to the technical difficulties associated with the extremely high-level emissions of hydrocarbons, which contaminate the testing equipment. The allowable emission limits depend on vehicle model year. The limits of CO, HC and opacity for the vehicles before and after 1995 have the values of (7, 4.5 percent) (1,000, 900 ppm) and (65, 50 percent), respectively. The publicized information indicates an overall failure rate of about 10 percent. Knowing that the majority of the fleet is composed of uncontrolled vehicles, the experienced high compliance rate could be attributed to relaxed standards and/or inefficient test procedures.

Among the activities of the Cairo Air Improvement Project (CAIP), the transit bus companies in Greater Cairo implemented a voluntary comprehensive I/M program (Fleet-I/M). Program activities included the enhancement of in-house capabilities for testing and tune-up that allow for high frequency opacity measurements as well as high quality tune-ups. The effectiveness of the program was evaluated by conducting laboratory testing using a chassis dynamometer for a sample of the buses after and before tune-up. Emissions of CO, HC, NOx and PM were reduced by the percentages of 46, 45, 20 and 53 percent, respectively. This type of voluntary programs is more effective than the regular inspection program which requires annual inspection. However, the voluntary programs require high-level of commitment for the fleet owners to invest in such programs.

It can be assumed that the initiated obligatory inspection program will be completed by 2006. In addition, the Fleet-I/M programs could be enhanced for the transit and private buses. Accordingly, the reductions of emissions due to implementing this strategy could be estimated based on the following assumptions:

* the emissions of the light and medium duty vehicles, except motorcycles, could be reduced by 20 percent due to the enforced VET program (Faiz et al., 1996); and
* the measured emission reductions for the sample transit buses could be used as the average reductions due to implementing Fleet-IM programs for other heavy duty fleets (CAIP, 2004).

In summary, the impact of IM programs for all vehicle categories, except motorcycles, is presented in Table V. Effective implementation of this strategy could reduce the emissions of PM and ozone precursors by about 40 and 17 percent, respectively.

Emission standards for new vehicles

The emission standards for new vehicles are usually set by the developed countries to ensure continual reduction of vehicle emissions. The current standards require advanced emission control technologies that are usually linked with the use of cleaner fuels. Thus, improving fuel specifications in Egypt is a prerequisite for enforcing emission standards for new vehicles. In this context, Egypt successfully implemented a program for phasing out lead from gasoline. Currently, unleaded gasoline represents about 90 percent of the marketed gasoline. As unleaded gasoline is still not available in some areas of the country, emission standards for new vehicles cannot legally be enforced. In addition, the sulfur content in fuel oil (diesel) in Egypt is in the order of 5,000 ppm (0.5 percent), which is more than ten times the sulfur in the fuel being used in Europe and USA.

To estimate the impact of implementing emission standards for new vehicles, the European emission standards for light and medium gasoline vehicles are utilized (Faiz, 1996). For motorcycles, the average European emissions for two categories of new four-stroke M/C (less than 100 kg and more than 300 kg) were employed. In case of heavy-duty vehicles, emission standards are set for engines in terms of g/hp-h or g/kW-h, which cannot be used to estimate vehicle emissions. Whereas, vehicles testing using chassis dynamometers under simulated driving conditions could produce emission data in terms of g/km. As this type of tests is limited, the test data for a sample of school buses in the USA were employed to represent the average emissions for this category (Thompson, 1999). In summary, the utilized emission standards and the estimated reductions in the emission levels at year 2013 are shown in Table VI.

Concluding remarks

The impact of implementing the presented strategies in terms of emission reductions is graphically shown in Figure 2. It can be observed that Figure 2 shows the PM reductions only from the diesel vehicles (L/MD and HDD). This is because PM emissions from gasoline vehicles are minimal and are usually neglected. On the other hand, remarkable reductions in the emissions of ozone precursors could be obtained from the gasoline vehicles, as they are the main contributors to this type of emissions, Figure 3.

It can be also noticed that the highest impacts in PM emissions could be achieved by implementing the strategies of NG and I/M programs for light, medium and heavy duty diesel vehicles. On the other hand, the highest reductions of ozone precursors could be obtained by implementing the same strategies for the cars and light duty gasoline vehicles. Implementation of emission standards for new vehicles has the least impact as they target a very small portion of the fleet. Therefore, to maximize overall emission reductions, a combination of strategies targeting all vehicles types is required.

Integrated strategy

As previously explained, implementing any of the presented strategies would produce a corresponding reduction in vehicle emissions, depending on the targeted fleet. It is important to note that the resultant emission reduction when implementing a number of strategies does not represent the summation of the reductions of each strategy. For example, implementing the regular VET program according to the current standards will not reduce the emissions from the vehicles using CNG or the new vehicles meeting the European emission standards.

In order to maximize the potential impacts, it is recommended to implement an integrated strategy. Practically, it is proposed to implement such strategy in three overlapping phases, considering the local conditions; e.g. current polices, institutional setup and capabilities. The output of each phase could be optimized by targeting the fleets of higher potential impact. The estimated impact of the consecutive implementation of the three phases is graphically shown in Figure 3. The following is a short description of the proposed implementation phases.

Phase I: IM programs and CNG for taxis and government vehicles

Based on the current efforts in implementing VET, Fleet-IM and CNG programs and the potential for emission reduction, it is recommended to focus on the following fleets:

* Fleet-IM for transit buses;
* VET for gasoline vehicles; and
* CNG conversion for gasoline taxis and government vehicles.

Implementation of this phase would result in annual reductions of PM and ozone emissions by 20 and 22 percent of the baseline emissions, respectively. This phase has been actually initiated.

Phase II: CNG for private cars and diesel vehicles

This phase is characterized by a higher level of investment to expand the utilization of NG in the transportation sector, including the following:

* CNG conversion for gasoline private cars; and
* CNG for buses and L/MD diesel vehicles.

Implementation of this phase, in addition to Phase I, would increase the annual reductions of PM and ozone emissions to the order of 38 and 31 percent of the baseline emissions, respectively. Practically, conversion of private passenger cars is an extension of the current program for taxis and government vehicles. In addition, the CNG in buses has started by the demonstration fleet which comprises 50 transit buses.

Phase III: emission standards for new vehicles and motorcycles

This phase is the most challenging one, as it requires high investment in the petroleum industry to produce fuels compatible to the intended emission standards for new vehicles. Based on the previous assumptions, implementing this phase would result in reductions of PM and ozone precursors emissions by about 7 and 3 percent, respectively.

Baseline emission calculations indicate that the two-stroke M/C are of the main contributors to vehicle emissions, as they produce about 20 percent of ozone emissions and 15 percent of PM emissions. Thus, emission standards for new motorcycles could be employed to bring in cleaner M/C. Currently, the government is implementing a program that prohibits importing or locally assembling new two-stroke M/C by 2007. In order to maximize the output of this strategy, it is suggested to gradually implement a program for replacing the existing two-stroke M/C by other cleaner alternatives. It is assumed that the existing fleet could be replaced by four-stroke M/C which would result in annual reductions of PM and ozone emissions of about 668 and 173,622 ton, respectively.

Therefore, full implementation of this phase, in combination with Phases I and II, would roughly achieve overall emission reductions of PM and ozone precursors in the order of 53 and 49 percent, respectively.

As shown in Figure 3, the estimated emission reductions due to implementing the proposed integrated strategy could almost compensate for the expected increase in vehicle emissions over the next ten years. Thus, vehicle emissions of PM and ozone precursors in 2013 could be in the same order of the emissions at starting point; i.e. 2003. Further reductions could be achieved by increasing the targeted fleets for implementing the NG and Fleet-I/M programs. However, additional strategies need to be considered to further reduce vehicles emissions, e.g. retrofitting and replacement of the old vehicles.

Conclusions and recommendations

This paper presents the potential impacts of implementing some key strategies for sustainable transportation in Greater Cairo, including IM programs, use of NG and adopting emission standards for new vehicles. Based on the emission estimation methodology and assumptions, the following can be concluded:

* if no actions are taken, vehicles emissions of PM and ozone precursors could be roughly increased by 95 and 50 percent, respectively;
* implementing any single strategy cannot compensate for the expected increase in emissions of road transportation over the next ten years; and
* implementing the three-phase integrated strategy could roughly reduce the emissions of PM and ozone precursors at the year 2013 by about 53 and 49 percent, respectively. The resulting emission levels would be of the same order of the starting point at Year 2003.

In order to achieve the targeted emission reductions, the following measures are recommended:

* changing the emission limits for in-use vehicles, based on the results of the current VET program;
* promoting and enhancing the implementation of the voluntary Fleet-IM programs;
* accelerating the establishment of the infra structure for CNG network and fueling stations;
* conducting technical and economical evaluation of the options for large scale utilization of CNG in light, medium and heavy duty vehicles; and
* improving liquid fuel specifications and implementing emission standards for new vehicles, including motorcycles, considering the pertinent political and social issues.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
There are graphs and stuff to go with it.

If someone hadn't refered to me as a future RB I would've posted this study on his board. I was reading throught it.

Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katanga we bass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK in Uggs:
Dear Cairo Residents,

I would like to know how you are feeling nowadays. Please share your feelings about the infamous "Black Cloud".

Ya mama!!

You're a medic right
I'm so hyper today I mean all over the place. Any recommendation ???? [Big Grin]

Posts: 743 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba5Koshari:
quote:
Dear Cairo Residents,

Ya mama!!

You're a medic right
I'm so hyper today I mean all over the place. Any recommendation ???? [Big Grin]

Well I am not a medical professional, but this always calms me down, BLOW JOBS!

But its been about 2 years since I gave one, not saying how long its been since I recieved one.....

Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Everyone's_a_Pascha:
quote:
quote:
Dear Cairo Residents,

Ya mama!!

You're a medic right

Well I am not a medical professional, but this always calms me down, BLOW JOBS!

But its been about 2 years since I gave one, not saying how long its been since I recieved one.....

Noooooooooooohhhhhh
They just excite me more. It's this freaking workout supplement I'm taking ... No sleep for me tonight

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
Noooooooooooohhhhhh
They just excite me more. It's this freaking workout supplement I'm taking ... No sleep for me tonight

Many of those supplements, including creatine cause impotence.

I'd rather a guy have one particularly important muscle be fully operational than have bulging muscles elsewhere. [Wink]

Be careful.

Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
quote:

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] Really?
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Its called marriage to an Egyptian man full time. And he used to take those "supplements".

I suggest you take those supplements and pour them into the toilet.

Then spend the rest of the night jacking off and leave ES alone.

Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Noooooooooooohhhhhh

Many of those supplements, including creatine cause impotence.

I'd rather a guy have one particularly important muscle be fully operational than have bulging muscles elsewhere. [Wink]

Be careful.

Geeeeeeee ...
You gotta have an opinion on everything eh [Big Grin]

Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

Its called marriage to an Egyptian man full time. And he used to take those "supplements".

I suggest you take those supplements and pour them into the toilet.

Then spend the rest of the night jacking off and leave ES alone.

Is that because I didn't respond to your PM the other day ???? [Confused] [Confused]
It's okay, I'm not here to make relationships, just to be TELEMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM [Big Grin]

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
Is that because I didn't respond to your PM the other day ???? [Confused] [Confused]
It's okay, I'm not here to make relationships, just to be TELEMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM [Big Grin]

If you are zaone, then I sent you a PM but otherwise I didn't send you a PM.

Yeah I have opinions.

Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
quote:

Freakin Genius [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

You are zaone?

Let me guess, you can't log in but still geting PMs from the zaone account.

Had to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1KfDFfckc4

My only female roommate was just like this, smurfette. She kept on "borrowing" my underpants, and I ended up burning them all. I went 5 months without wearing panties because of that whore.

Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

You are zaone?

Had to post this:

My only female roommate was just like this, smurfette. She kept on "borrowing" my underpants, and I ended up burning them all. I went 5 months without wearing panties because of that whore.

Zaone got banned genius.
You're a waste of time. I wasn't even talking to you and you just jump in
Be original now and stop quoting youtube [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You are zaone?

Had to post this:

Zaone got banned genius.

Darling give it a few months of those supplements you'll be a waste of time on your wedding night.
Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You are zaone?

Had to post this:

Zaone got banned genius.

Darling give it a few months of those supplements you'll be a waste of time on your wedding night.
You are so obsessed with SEXXXXXXXXXXXX. You gotta be cool you know ... it makes you look so desperate. The PMs don't help either [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Remember, you come hungry you go hungry baby [Big Grin]

Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

why isnt he a kidding matter? what, does he have spies on this forum?
Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by hibbah:
quote:
quote:

why isnt he a kidding matter? what, does he have spies on this forum?
Maybe [Wink]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, why do you have to go off of such an important topic? [Confused]

I also would like to ask residents how serious do you view this health hazard? Have you been affected so far?

I can imagine that many many people develop respiratory problems and maybe even lung cancer (even after couple of years) from it?

For an asthmatic person do you think it's advisable to live inside Cairo?

And of course I am more so worried about my own children. I don't want to put them in this kind of danger.

Stating from online reports the pollution became much worse in the last seven years. But I remember it was even bad before.

Please reply.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Thats the governments official edict. But how often do we actually believe the government and their evaluation of social ills?

Parliment was trying to outlaw those cars and have them phased out over 5 years.

The WHO had done a study on air polution in Cairo. vehicle and industrial exhaust was at the top of the list.

yes in addition to buring rice trash this time every year
Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
quote:
Dear Cairo Residents,

Ya mama!!

You're a medic right

LOL...... I am hyper everyday not just one day

I dont mean sexually...... I am a hyper person & sometimes I feel like bursting out

The problem is, being on the computer all day, is making me aggressive now [Confused]
Maybe because Idont move my body ..... so i got this trapped energy inside ofme that whenever I go out & meet people i'm like the maniac of the party [Big Grin]

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
quote:
quote:

You are zaone?

Had to post this:

Ofcourse he's Zaone, havent you noticed that already? [Big Grin]
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Oh and he has another name as well.

Mesh keda walla eeeeeeeeeeh ya "monsieur"? [Wink] (with a Fouad El-Mohandes tone!)

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ironborn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Cairo is this polluted, taking anti-oxidants should be a priority.

Green tea or grape seed extract would work well for minimizing the amount of oxidants in the body that come from living in such a polluted environment.

So unless you want to age faster and increase your risk of developing cancer, then start taking some vitamins [Big Grin]

~Alistair

--------------------
Lies fade like smoke when uncovered..but Truth, burns like fire.

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alistair, I do take vitamins and I am afraid they do not prevent asthma attacks or worse. The last days already I felt quite miserable, fighting with respiratory problems, luckily I have my spray always nearby. The weather changed drastically here in Germany within a couple of days, last weekend I still saw ladybugs flying around and for Thursday the weather forcast projected O degrees - I believe we will have snow very shortly. It's very cold and foggy - not good for anyone with asthmatic problems.

So I guess the weather is much better in Cairo but the pollution will be harmful. I am certainly worried about the last media reports of this 'black cloud thing'....... [Frown]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

MK in Uggs .... I know [Wink]

btw guys, i noticed that in the last few years my Sinusitis is getting worse.... I m sure this pollution particularly in October is one of the major causes for this........ because I noticed that I loose my sense of smell during that month every year...... before I used to smell it & it would chocke me to death..... now I am inhaling it but I dont smell it .... scary [Frown]

Tiger, i forgot to mention that i had that asthma attack last summer

tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont see this black cloud and we just dont seem to get any smog at all from Cairo?
We live 6th October...........thank God! [Smile]
Maybe coz there are loads of green compounds? lots of trees and grass????????????

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

So true: he passed the kidding excuse 24.5 years ago! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:
quote:
quote:

So true: he passed the kidding excuse 24.5 years ago! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
you are reminding us that it's been fcukin quarter of a century [Big Grin]
Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Mesh keda walla eeeeeeeeeeh ya "monsieur"? [Wink] (with a Fouad El-Mohandes tone!)

So, how come I am not banned yet?
Sammy on vacation or you've lost favor with him??? [Big Grin]

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

yes in addition to buring rice trash this time every year
The Delta's have been burning "rice trash" for millenia and yet Herodotus (SP?) didn't chronical a black smog belt over Misr back then!

Come one now, if anyone has noticed along the Nile just outside of Cairo the wind carries north in the direction of the river. How can a smog belt make its course against natural wind direction?

Shinderella don't worry, BMW, Mercedes and most foreign cars in Egypt pass international emission requirements.

Its the fiats, opels, and all the other disguisting domestic produced cars that are choking the city. Cars you don't drive, so why you bother blaming farmers in the delta I don't know.

Also industrial emmissions from the iron works of Helwan and other industries have gone unchecked for decades. Normally on factory chimney's there are what is called "scrubbers" basically filters that collect poisonous particles in something like a HIPA filter before spewing out slightly less poisonous fumes.

Because some of the best employers to the masses have basically lobbied for exemptions to pollution controls that most other nations have willing complied with, the polluting continues.

Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Omaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal
Esmy Elly Maytsammah ya battah [Razz]

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:

Shinderella don't worry, BMW, Mercedes and most foreign cars in Egypt pass international emission requirements.

Its the fiats, opels, and all the other disguisting domestic produced cars that are choking the city. Cars you don't drive, so why you bother blaming farmers in the delta I don't know.

I dont drive mercedes or BMW, infact i hate these type of cars...... it's for nouveau riche only...... but I am not

We got Honda & an Opel

I am not blaming anyone....... Burning the rice trash which caused the black cloud has been allover the newspapers for the last couple of years ...... that's what I heard, read & what everybody has been saying........ this burning must have been going on for years but it seems that our air couldnt take it anymore in addition to car exhausts & all that ****...... It's everything altogether

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

I dont drive mercedes or BMW, infact i hate these type of cars...... it's for nouveau riche only......
[Big Grin]

CAT, I know you're saying that to tease Sono, but in my family we never drove anything but German cars mainly because of safety and environmental reasons. I think you know by now what my father's occupation was, he was very involved in environmental issues (but luckily he didn't go as far as driving a car operating on corn oil [Big Grin] ).

He wrote a book more than 15 years ago warning of the scenario happening now in Cairo, and sent a copy of his book to every government official who could be interested. He was like a Jesus of the environment at the time.

Sono, I didn't like the word "disgusting". I mean Chevrolet is as disgusting when it comes to upsetting the environment. [Roll Eyes]

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:

No ya shater, you had so many user-names, in which your original name became shorter and shorter and shorter until it almost became only a "C", and you kept coming back an no one would pay you any attention.

And then to get the attention you wanted, you took a woman's name.

That's exactly the only way you managed to get some respect.

Shater. [Smile]

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
quote:

No ya shater, you had so many user-names, in which your original name became shorter and shorter and shorter until it almost became only a "C", and you kept coming back an no one would pay you any attention.

Shater. [Smile]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

walahi fa2sahom kolohom ya Koshari

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is tha when I go outside lately I feel ill, coughing, sneezing, loads of mucus, I can hardly go out and then blow my nose and not find all kinds of crap in my nose (foreign, like dirt). Very nasty! [Frown]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
All I know is tha when I go outside lately I feel ill, coughing, sneezing, loads of mucus, I can hardly go out and then blow my nose and not find all kinds of crap in my nose (foreign, like dirt). Very nasty! [Frown]

That would happen in April, June and sometimes in late August.

But this is november and what you are refering to is from agricultural processes.

Garbage burning is also something that causes it.

But winds during winter in Shebin is strong enough to carry off alot of the air pollutants that stick around in non-winter months.

You got your seasons mixed up Smuckers.

Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

Shater. [Smile]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

walahi fa2sahom kolohom ya Koshari

Wallahi Allazi Lah Elaha Ella Ho
You're both hooooooooooooooooooooooobl [Big Grin]
MK if you're such a Freakin Genius , who the fu*k am I ? [Big Grin]

Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Shater. [Smile]

Salamtek mel habal ya ottah [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
Sono, I didn't like the word "disgusting". I mean Chevrolet is as disgusting when it comes to upsetting the environment. [Roll Eyes]

Alright, since dad is an environmental figure, then tell me why Egypt until the last few years hasn't had an emissions standard for newly produced domestic vehicles?

I mean seriously I remember people had their cars impounded for not meeting emission standards, I mean classic cars from 30 years ago.

Most cars made in the last 20 years meet emmision standards and we had emission testing stations in which you had to go to in order to get your license renewed. If your car didn't pass it was impounded.

Why doesn't the new cars produced in Egypt even have an emission standard?

Why is leaded gas even sold in Egypt?

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
quote:

Alright, since dad is an environmental figure, then tell me why Egypt until the last few years hasn't had an emissions standard for newly produced domestic vehicles?

I mean seriously I remember people had their cars impounded for not meeting emission standards, I mean classic cars from 30 years ago.

Most cars made in the last 20 years meet emmision standards and we had emission testing stations in which you had to go to in order to get your license renewed. If your car didn't pass it was impounded.

Because we are a third world country

That is why [Roll Eyes]

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

Because we are a third world country

That is why [Roll Eyes]

And third world countries can still solve problems.

Look at Bangladesh! Now that is a country that can solve problems, its quite progressive while respecting religious and social norms.

Excuses don't solve problems.

*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

quote:
And third world countries can still solve problems.

Look at Bangladesh! Now that is a country that can solve problems, its quite progressive while respecting religious and social norms.

Excuses don't solve problems. [/QB]

This is not an excuse....... this is reality

I want this country to get better more than you do............ i am not happy living in a country like this but it is my contry & I love it & I didnt choose to get out & leave.

Stop blaming me for Egypt's mess [Mad]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com