EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » I don't understand

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I don't understand
*Souri*
Member # 9095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Souri*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are things that I do not understand about Egyptian's culture which so far I managed to cope with, however this one still a problem.

I met some very nice Egyptian people, and found them very nice, but sometimes too nice.

Dono how to explain, in my previous job, I use to have to work a lot with some Egyptian, and after I met some of them in Egypt, they were claiming that I was one of the best friend they ever had, that our friendship mean a lot for them, and so and so after only have spend a couples of days with them.
When I was in Cairo some of my colleagues found those Remarque very warm and nice, but me I was a bit wiser and found it a bit shallow, people thought I was cold and not friendly at all, but I’ m not use to, to hear that kind of compliment which I think should be told to some close friends only, no to someone you only met 4 days ago.
Sometimes I still receive some e-mails from my ex Egyptian's colleagues which is very nice but it’s always the same kind of words, and I don’t understand why they are so kind.
In my culture, we just say those words to someone whom we know for a long time, or someone whom we are very close to.

Is something wrong with me being so wiser? When I think about this I find myself very rude, but I can't help myself from being cold as I don't understand why people want to be so kind with me.

Posts: 1182 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's not only you........... I am a friendly person but I also find it hard to digest when somebody gets too comfy with me too soon like touching & hugging & breaking all the boundaries, getting too personal

It just feels too good to be true to me

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rarely trust people myself until I've been through the thick of it with them. I used to have a rule, especially at new jobs, the ones who wanted to cozy up to me and be my best friends immediately were the ones I would usually end up distancing myself from~
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeBwA_kEbiRa
Member # 12287

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeBwA_kEbiRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptians are very very VERY polite, that's the thing. They act so nice and kind because it's part of the culture. As for saying extremely nice things and getting so friendly, I think that it's partly the politeness and (if they are speaking English) that they are translating things from Arabic to English and the meanings are different in English. This has happened to me and this girl gave me so many compliments and then I found out she was just practicing her English on me. Egyptians love to talk, so if you don't talk so much, like myself, they think you are cold. Don't be on guard, it's just the culture. It doesn't mean anything. You can talk to them and hug them, but it doesn't mean that you are really good friends. Be careful what you reveal about yourself because some people love to gossip.
Posts: 28 | From: U.S.A and Cairo,Egypt | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptians say things like habiby & habibty to everyone...... it was even brought up on one of the threads on this board about a month ago..... & it's true....... your husband can call you honey & call his friends honey too [Roll Eyes]

imagine your colleagues calling you sweety, honey, my dear, my love, habibty, ya rohy (my soul), ya 2lby (my heart)
It's normal here...... but I dont like it..... becuase we have to mean what we say..... the word habibty or my love has become so cheap

--------------------
Femme Fatale

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mal
Member # 12314

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I have just arrived back from Sharm and bought a property while there, the cleaner in the hotel room was very friendly and wanted to exchange email addresses and tel numbers before i left. I thought that was a bit forward as we had hardly spoken to him really just an odd wave. On the day we left he gave me his mobile and email address and wrote it on 3 separate pieces of paper, then he kept saying "you will forget me, you will not call", he came back to the room 10 mins later with pen and paper instisting that i gave him my mobile number too.
Where as I did plan to contact him when I got home and was thinking that maybe I could offer him some extra income when our purchase was complete - he has put me off completely and I just wanted to run a mile. I don't like people being over pushy and it made me feel uncomfortable as to where it might lead if I took things further. I'm sure I'm over-reacting but like you I prefer a little space on these matters.

Posts: 53 | From: Dartford, Kent. | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mal:
I'm sure I'm over-reacting but like you I prefer a little space on these matters.

No, you're not over-reacting. A room cleaner pushing his phone numbers on you is highly inappropriate and does not fall under the categories of *friendlyness* that have been described here.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Souri*
Member # 9095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Souri*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's not only you........... I am a friendly person but I also find it hard to digest when somebody gets too comfy with me too soon like touching & hugging & breaking all the boundaries, getting too personal

It just feels too good to be true to me
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you all for your answers

It just feels too good to be true yes
also sometimes is difficult to make the difference between the good and the bad .I'm just wondering why they behave like this, do they mean what they say? why are they so nice?

Posts: 1182 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com