EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Why nobody has change in this country?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why nobody has change in this country?
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it that it is so difficult to get change from taxi drivers, stores, delivery people, etc...

I mean, if there arent enough small bank notes in circulation you would think that perhaps they could print more?

Why do they have coins AND paper notes of the same denomination? (5 piastre, 10, 25, etc?)

Is it true that there are no bank notes bigger than 100 LE?

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cemilou
Member # 9227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemilou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for me, I'm fed up to fight with the taxi driver everyday to get my change while he keeps telling me he doesn't have... [Mad]
Posts: 66 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
king-snefru
Member # 11670

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for king-snefru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's terrible , is not it ?
you need to keep change all the time on you because the taxi drivers are theifs.
yes 100 L E is biggest Egyptian bank note

Posts: 121 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annie_81:
Why is it that it is so difficult to get change from taxi drivers, stores, delivery people, etc...

I always used to try and have the correct change, however when I was out of luck in the case of taxi drivers I would tell them that if they had no change then I couldn't pay - this usually resulted in driver digging change from sun visor, under steering wheel, under seat, in glove compartment, side of the door [Big Grin] If driver insisted then I would make him wait while I stroll to the nearest shop to get change (his loss and his time wasted! Sometimes they would shout after me that they had "found" change!).

Delivery boys play this trick to increase their tip so you should send them away and make them get change (leaving the delivery behind!). They can always ask the bowab or in some cases they may go down a few stairs, wait a second and them come back with change (I've seen one do it cheeky little bugger! [Roll Eyes] )

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't even start discussing with cab drivers about the fare. I did it in the beginning when I was new in town but I learned pretty quickly.

Now anyway with my husband we always make sure that we take care of people if they give us good service. We are happy, they are happy ..... [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You fight with taxi drivers for 5 piasters?

ento gayeen testarza2o 3ala afa elghalaba ba2a

soya7 akher zaman [Big Grin]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LaZeeZ:
You fight with taxi drivers for 5 piasters?

ento gayeen testarza2o 3ala afa elghalaba ba2a

soya7 akher zaman [Big Grin]

[Big Grin]
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com