EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Africa most dangerous place for newborns: report

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Africa most dangerous place for newborns: report
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Africa most dangerous place for newborns: report

By Stella Mapenzauswa
1 hour, 52 minutes ago

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - Each year more than one million babies in sub-Saharan Africa die before they are a month old because of a lack of essential health care, a U.N. report said on Wednesday.

"Sub-Saharan Africa remains the most dangerous region in the world for a baby to be born -- with 1.16 million babies dying each year in the first 28 days of life," said the report published, in Johannesburg and Geneva.

The document, drafted by nine agencies including the World Health Organization, said six countries in the region had made progress in improving care, reducing neonatal deaths by about 30 percent in the past decade.

"Whilst the survival of the African child has shown almost no improvement since the 1980s, the fact that during 2006 several large African countries have reported a dramatic reduction in the risk of child deaths gives us new hope," said co-editor Joy Lawn.

Up to half a million African babies die on the day they are born, with Liberia having the world's highest neonatal mortality rate at 66 deaths per 1,000 births, compared with fewer than two deaths for 1,000 births in Japan.

Half of Africa's 1.16 million neonatal deaths occur in Nigeria, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Tanzania and Uganda, the report said.

Burkina Faso, Eritrea, Madagascar, Malawi, Tanzania and Uganda had made significant progress in reducing infant deaths over the last 10 years, thanks to increased government spending on basic health care.

The report said opportunities to save the lives of newborns within existing programs were often missed, with only one-tenth of women in Africa attending antenatal care receiving preventive treatment for malaria.

Only one percent of mothers with HIV had treatment to avoid transmitting the virus to their babies during childbirth.

"Up to 800,000 babies a year could be saved if 90 percent of women and babies received feasible, low-cost health interventions," the report said, adding this would cost about $1 billion per year.

The United Nations said in October that more than 18 million children in Africa would be orphaned by HIV/ AIDS by the end of the decade if more was not done to combat the pandemic among the continent's overwhelmingly young population.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061122/hl_nm/africa_babies_dc

Articles like this just shake me. These kids never had a chance to enjoy this world. We always complaining of what we don't have in life instead of being thankful for what we have. This report puts everything into a new prospective, reminds us, right?

And I definitely want to adopt within five years (thankfully hubby is supportive). [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigerlilly,
you are a gem,These reports are deppressing,after all africa is a rich continent but for some reason it is the poorest.

--------------------
www.excitingegypt.co.uk

Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tami025
Member # 9181

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tami025     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not only that but the soldiers are killing them too. i saw on Oprah about a 9 month old baby girl over there was gang raped by african soldiers.
yes, men suck.

Posts: 229 | From: philadelphia, pa, usa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wouldnt even as fas as to cal them MEN would you not even a animal too god a words to insult a good society ,so as far as im concern they can eat my CRAP ,fucking cunts .....i wreally wud piss on them and **** on them burn them irip them id stick a knife up there peee hole ,,..icant think about this it discusts me this is human race .. [Mad] [Frown]
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ironborn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tami025:
not only that but the soldiers are killing them too. i saw on Oprah about a 9 month old baby girl over there was gang raped by african soldiers.
yes, men suck.

Damn lady, are you a spokeswoman for N.O.W or something, or do you just love slandering men? [Roll Eyes]

Any soldier that would rape a baby is nothing short of sub-human filth (hardly a man) and deserves to die in a horrifyingly painful manner.

Who do you think is going to rid the World of scum like that?

A hint, it ain't going to be women.

Always remember, for every bad guy there's a good guy [Big Grin]

~Alistair

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Dude:

Always remember, for every bad guy there's a good guy

~Alistair

.... the hope dies at last. Ain't that right, Alistair? [Frown]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com