EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » How can I prepare some Mahshi?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How can I prepare some Mahshi?
Junah
Member # 12389

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Junah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can Anyone tell it [Smile] sorry I'm a bit embarrassed of you
Posts: 9 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I wish I could help you but I have an aversion to it! I'm sure someone will come along with a great recipe or two, I've received some great recipes from ES. Good luck [Smile]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't vouch for this recipe, but I found it on the web. It *looks* like the mashi my MIL makes. Have no clue how it tastes. [Smile]

http://members.cox.net/ahmedheissa/recmahsh.htm

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Junah,
There are different types of mashy, my favorite is the kousa mashy.
I hollow out about a kilo and half of the little kousa (zucchini) and then stuff them with the following mixture.

1 1/2 cups of rice (washed but not cooked)
I large tomato finely chopped
2 Tablespoons light oil
3 cubes of Fine Foods Shamy spices
3 cubes of Fine Foods Garden herbs
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Teaspoon pepper
Hot Sauce to taste

Extra minced parsley and or dill if you like.
Some people prefer to add chopped onions, it's up to your taste.

Mix well

Fill the cousa almost full and then place in large pot that has a plate or metal strainer on the bottom so the kousa are not laying directly on bottom of pan (they will burn)

Add water (about 2 cups) and bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 2 hours. Watch carefully if water level decreased too much, add some more hot water.

You can use this same rice mixture for the grape leaves or any other vegetables you like.

This is my own recipe and my husband loves it, I am sure there are tons of other variations, the best thing to do is just try it once, and then you can decide what you want to modify later.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com