EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Starting a Business in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Starting a Business in Egypt
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone here start a business in Egypt? How difficult was that?

I have an idea for a business that can make millions turnover each year, but I don't have any commercial experience.

Any tips?

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josette
Member # 12613

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Josette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah get a personality! There a free tip for ya [Big Grin]
Posts: 833 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josette:
Yeah get a personality! There a free tip for ya [Big Grin]

Thanks man! Er I mean "woman".. Boobylicious lunch sandwich with mayonnaise on it, woman. [Wink]
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josette
Member # 12613

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Josette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol
Posts: 833 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:

I have an idea for a business that can make millions turnover each year, but I don't have any commercial experience.

Any tips?

MK, starting/running a business here is like trying to squeeze blood out of a stone.

This country is #2 or 3 on the most corrupt places in the world list, furthermore, if you do manage to make a decent amount of money, there will be millions of people eager to steal it all from you.

I don't mean to take the wind out of your sails, but that is the truth.

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mk what kind of business are you thinking off?? how easy it is, often depends of what kind of business we are talking about, and ofcourse where..
Posts: 712 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:
MK, starting/running a business here is like trying to squeeze blood out of a stone.

This country is #2 or 3 on the most corrupt places in the world list, furthermore, if you do manage to make a decent amount of money, there will be millions of people eager to steal it all from you.

I don't mean to take the wind out of your sails, but that is the truth.

[Frown] I actually knew that VB, but I'm still sad you've confirmed my thoughts.

My idea is to start with with small place with one foreign employee. "Foreign" because the service I intend to offer has no Egyptian experts available.

But I guess I will need more than that. I mean getting a license and paying taxes etc.. This involves dealing with Mowazzafeen and paying them regular visits, right? If this is the case, I might give you a call to borrow your flying-low Apache, with all the hellfire missiles ammunition you can spare, on board.

I so hate mowazzafeen. That's one ethnic group Hitler has missed on.

That's what you meant about people wanting to steal me right?

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by imagine:
mk what kind of business are you thinking off?? how easy it is, often depends of what kind of business we are talking about, and ofcourse where..

I can't mention any details Imagine (don't want anyone to steal the idea [Wink] ), but it will involve a small place, like a clinic, that offers certain treatment (non-invasive, so it won't need any medical license).
imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your deffinately right about having all the right papers, all the stamps and the tax's docs at hand and updated at all times. other than that i think you should do just fine. if you have a good idea, a marketing plan if you need it, a SWOT analysis and soforth i say go for it. take a chance
Posts: 712 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
your deffinately right about having all the right papers, all the stamps and the tax's docs at hand and updated at all times.

Have you been through that in Egypt, Imagine? If yes, how was your experience?

I also need Akshar's input in here!

imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
i work for an english based company, and i know that almost all the freeking they need to show tax documents, buisness owner docs, work permition and soforth. lets just say, it will help and make your life much easier if you just go through the living hell of having these things in order from the beginning. but patience is very important. you know how the egyptian gouverment operates.
Mrs Tibe
Member # 12653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hejsa - tøm lige din postkasse søde.
Posts: 528 | From: Denmark | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
patience is very important.

That's one thing I don't have with those arrogant, semi-literate, fool-sandwich-in-the top-drawer, fat-assed, can't-you-see-I'm-on-a-lunch-break (all day ?!!!), come-tomorrow, this-stamp-isn't-enough, assholes. [Frown]

I hate them so much. *tears*

imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
det goer jeg lige smukke. /tibe/

you might hate them MK, but unfortunatly we all have to deal with them. like it or not.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
^^ yeah I guess so.

And yeah, I guess we all need some more room in our postkasse. [Razz]

imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
excatly haha. we all need room in our postkasse, how else are we suppose to receive our private besker?? lmao [Big Grin]

Anyway i deffinately think you should go forward with your idea. if you dont want to go through the paper hell, hire an egyptian lawyer/accountant who will do it for you. its not that expensive and its nice to have such a person on hand to help you in the future.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
hire an egyptian lawyer/accountant who will do it for you. its not that expensive and its nice to have such a person on hand to help you in the future.

Okay who's interested? (snort!)
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sadeeqy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call me when you'll need a PR girl... [Big Grin]
Posts: 1744 | From: Romania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
hire an egyptian lawyer/accountant who will do it for you. its not that expensive and its nice to have such a person on hand to help you in the future.

Okay who's interested? (snort!)
me, but im not Egyptian [Frown] does that matter [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are specialized commission agents who can help you with all the paper-stuff.But, he has to be reliable! Think it will be difficult to find one on your own, because as soon as you show up, as a foreigner who wants to invest money, the dollar-signs are winking all the time!
If you don`t have reliable persons in Egypt, I mean Egyptians, then I would search for information by your embassy.
I have had the same idea, but after time I had to conclude that there are to much risks, I don`t dare...
Also it means that you have to go and live there, because as soon as you are gone, the problems show up.
Economic it is attractive, Egypt shall have free trade between them and the EU in a few years, but my main objection is the reliability, to find the right people...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

My idea is to start with with small place with one foreign employee. "Foreign" because the service I intend to offer has no Egyptian experts available.
[/QB]

Good Luck with your idea MK, but I feel that VB may be right also. It can be done of course, but I believe that sometimes you have to have someone who will work in the background for you dealing with the rashwa and other tricky stuff.

With regards to the foreign employee, there's a rule to safe guard the arrogant, semi-literate, fool-sandwich-in-the top-drawer, fat-assed, can't-you-see-I'm-on-a-lunch-break (all day ?!!!), come-tomorrow, this-stamp-isn't-enough, assholes [Big Grin] . For every foreign employee there must be something like 10 Egyptians working for you.

I suppose it would be easy to get 10(+/-) Cleaner-office boy-tea making-fool buying-security guard-one to open and close-boy's and you don't have to pay them that much [Big Grin]

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought mowazzafeen was a term for employees (in the general sense).
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frankly I leave all the paper work to my husband. I know he spends days and nights at the courts getting things. Everything seems to take for ever and cost loads of baksheesh. We have all our licenses and permissions but some we got after the event others before. the whole thing is a nightmare.

I would definitely recommend you have an Egyptian business partner but how to find a honest, trustworthy one [Frown]

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashkar, the more you speak about your hubby, the warmer I feel toward you. It sounds like you two have a successful, happy and productive relationship, add to that the fact that you are living your dream in Egypt together and I'm almost GREEN with envy.

Good on you girl.

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
^^ Here goes my thread [Frown]

[Big Grin]

Âutomatic For The People
Member # 12634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Âutomatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
I thought mowazzafeen was a term for employees (in the general sense).

Yes it is. Mowazzaf 7okoumi = Government Employee.
Posts: 465 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Âutomatic For The People
Member # 12634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Âutomatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Partners!
Posts: 465 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by V For Vendetta:
quote:

Partners!
yal3ab (ma3ako) yamafessh li3b!
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karemo7
Member # 386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karemo7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Any tips?

you need lawyer , lawyer can prepare and finish all documents you need to establish your company ,
documents only cost you about 2000 LE

Posts: 367 | From: cairo , egypt | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com