EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » homesickness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: homesickness
Audrey Hepburn
Member # 11579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Audrey Hepburn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you deal with gutwrenching, can't eat, can't get out of bed bloody destructive homesickness?
Posts: 233 | From: uk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valerie
Member # 6806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valerie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Set myself a goal to achieve each day. Once that is done then I can move forward....
It is slow but can be done....

Posts: 290 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Audrey,

you already got homesick? If I remember correctly you've been only in December to Egypt in fully excitement.

How is your job search going btw? And is your book complete?

Sorry to hear you are not doing so good right now.

How about inviting a good friend over if its possible financialwise?

Happy new year to you. You will feel better soon don't worry. [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go home?
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Hepburn:
How do you deal with gutwrenching, can't eat, can't get out of bed bloody destructive homesickness?

Last Thursday was total absolute melt down chaos with high winds and devastation across the country, tonight the temperatures are dropping rapidly (I swear its only just freezing point and that's in London!) and snow is due to hit all over the place.
Interest rates have gone up, and more rises on the way, the primeminister is embedded in sleaze again, there are reports of old dears in homes being fed just a scoop of mashed potato a day or hot meals being left at the end of their beds, just tantalizingly impossible to reach.... I could go on ... The average house price is now more than 11 times the average annual take home pay...
Feeling better yet? [Cool]

Oh yes, and I forgot the Big Brother scandal...

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

* try to keep up contact more with friends/family back home during these times

* try to keep yourself busy with projects

* make plans to get with friends/family in Egypt to keep yourself occupied

* make more calls than usual during these times

* don't sleep too much or it makes it worse, increase the depression, try to take more walks or drives

It will pass, it comes and goes, over time it will get better - best of luck [Wink]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

* don't sleep too much or it makes it worse, increase the depression, try to take more walks or drives

It will pass, it comes and goes, over time it will get better - best of luck [Wink]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:

cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Oh goodness I feel you Audrey! The only thing that I know for a fact works is going home, yes it burns a hole in your pocket(depending on how far home is)..but it's the only thing that works...
Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easy there Smuck, your message did come across trice now!
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

yea not sure why it came out three times, strange.... [Big Grin]
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caterpillar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oldbag:
Last Thursday was total absolute melt down chaos with high winds and devastation across the country, tonight the temperatures are dropping rapidly (I swear its only just freezing point and that's in London!) and snow is due to hit all over the place.
Interest rates have gone up, and more rises on the way, the primeminister is embedded in sleaze again, there are reports of old dears in homes being fed just a scoop of mashed potato a day or hot meals being left at the end of their beds, just tantalizingly impossible to reach.... I could go on ... The average house price is now more than 11 times the average annual take home pay...
Feeling better yet? [Cool]

Oh yes, and I forgot the Big Brother scandal... [/QB]

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] now i'm SICK OF HOME!!!

I have a cure.... SWAP places with me!! [Big Grin]

please?

Posts: 1017 | From: uk | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Audrey, don't go back home, not yet. Think about why you returned to Egypt in the first place. Did something not go the way you expected it to be?

And aren't you in Alex? How about meeting some other expats for a cup of coffee? Take care. [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good advice, meet some other ex pats and have a damn good moan!! Go find some tourists and talk about the wonderful UK as Oldbag has posted all the latest news. Think about income tax, tony blair, rain, we are due snow in the next few days too so go stand in a freezer somewhere and remember how bloody COLD it gets then remember that icey lazy wind here that goes right through you. Think about paying 10le for a loaf of bread, think about how you always know what crappy day it is here because of what soap is on TV or what bill needs paying by when.

Then go for a walk by the sea (if you are in Alex), listen to the waves lapping on the shore, sit in a cafe and watch the world while drinking some real juice (not that concentrated UK kind) and remember how lucky you are to be there and not here.

If all that doesnt work, pm me as I am willing to swap for a few weeks till you feel better [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alia:

Nice name!
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I agree with Ayisha, I went through the homesickness really bad back in June and July and even was ready to just leave, crying all of the time, etc. But of course that was more venting than anything and it's much better now, sure I miss home but I'm not so manic about and can accept things for how/what they are easier here. I find with homesickness it makes you focus on the tangible things around you that bother you, mostly about the culture. It helps to have someone to talk to, and it does get better!
sa
Member # 11929

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know how a smart american person get a good paying job in cairo??
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish i could be in Alex with my hubby [Frown]
My home sickness begain as soon as I left Egypt. Although I missed my kids, had they been with me, I would have tried to stay in Egypt.

Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sa:
Does anyone know how a smart american person get a good paying job in cairo??

Do you speak Arabic? Have you thought about working in Health care, or education? How about teaching English?
Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audrey Hepburn
Member # 11579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Audrey Hepburn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
feel I want to tell my story but won't. At home now and don't think I can return to the isolation and sadness I felt in my last visit. Thanks for your comments. You are a good bunch.
Posts: 233 | From: uk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
feel I want to tell my story but won't. At home now and don't think I can return to the isolation and sadness I felt in my last visit. Thanks for your comments. You are a good bunch.

[Confused]

You mean you're back in the UK now?

kimbaha
Member # 12368

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimbaha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband is finding the same here in the UK isolation is the hardest, but he phones home and then eveything seems OK? but he wanted to be here and he as to adjust he is trying inshallah it will be ok
Posts: 16 | From: england and egypt | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can't cope in Alex my God don't try Luxor

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Audrey, are you here in Alex? If so, have you made some friends here?
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive had so much homesickness in my time, and it really is horrible, but it does pass away, tigerlilies advice was good, i think youre right to get in touch with expats and make great friends, it really does help,
And just remember why youre there, and was it so great after all back home?
Maybe if you go back, you will be fed up in a couple of weeks and want to return again,
Thats the way i am, never really knowing what i want and where i want to be

I hope this will pass soon, and keep us updated on how you are getting on
xxxxx

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
I think Audrey is back home in the UK. All the best to you if you read this.

BTW Audrey, I've been homesick myself, gosh it was so hard especially when my relationship broke apart. I cried, hanged in there for a while, left ...... and came back again to Egypt because that's where I wanted to be. And this time I stayed even longer.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com