EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cairo Int'l Book Fair

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cairo Int'l Book Fair
snake poison
Member # 10674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for snake poison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last week I was in Cairo, 2 of my friends were going to the Book Fair, I joined them.

Ticket price is 1 LE

It was a sunny Friday afternoon, perfect weather for a perfect event.

Perfect from far, yet far from Perfect.

As soon as I walked through the gates I could smell the lack of organization in the air.

Laying on my left, a few booths belonging to some random and unknown print houses.
I go to see what books they have; a big rectangular shaped table with piles of books over it, shelves on the right and on the left stacked with books.
All the books were about cooking, a few poor translations of famous literature pieces like King Lear and Hamlet, Tintin and Mickey Mouse magazines; None in a foreign language.

I go the next one, almost the same.

With me was an English man, while we were passing by on of the booths, he asked me: "Can we find an English version or at least an English interpretation of the Quraan?"
I answered: "I'm sure we will it's an Int'l book fair."

NO was the answer.

As we went on walking around the Fair, which was made on a vast piece of land; we can see finally big buildings labeled by numbers.

I go into Building No.5, as I walk inside I can see a big sign with Al-Ahram written on it, a big name in Egypt.
Shelves and Shelves filled with books, mostly in Arabic and English.
I go to the Novel's section; I find outdated books, books that have been lying around my house for a few years now.
I move on to the technical\scientific section the most interesting however was politics, a few very good books, I check the price tag 400 LE.

I move on in search for a History section, couldn't find it. (I'm pretty sure there was a History section)

I go to the place where I should pay for the books I got, I ask the cashier if there's some sort of an electronic data base as I was looking for a certain book.
There's no such thing as an electronic DB.

Frustration got to me.

I go to Building No.4 same as above, a mess.

After spending 3 hours in search for books, I came out empty handed, just 2 in the bag, and 151 LE poorer.

As soon as we walked out of the Fair my friend said: "What a Zoo". I did nothing but laugh at this description for the Cairo Int'l Book Fair.

It was clear to me that this fair was done for the one reason of hosting an Int'l Book Fair, and that’s it.
Just to be written by the end of the year in Egypt's achievements book.

A zoo, a mess, a huge place filled with book, with an ad-value of ZERO.

Really I'm Proud to be Egyptian.

Posts: 517 | From: snake city | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snake poison:
A zoo, a mess, a huge place filled with book, with an ad-value of ZERO.

The Book Fair is not a zoo. The book fair is a once-a-year opportunity for most Egyptians to finally become acquainted with reading. A habit gradually becoming extinct due to Ruby and the other ass-wiggling attention whores.

You are bitter and angry in general.

Take boxing lessons.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I can't wait to be back in Cairo! I actually miss the chaos of the Egyptians...... everything here in Germany is so organized and planned out well, we got rules and restrictions for every tiny thing..... it's so boring. Where is the excitement?! Now don't let me even start talking about the weather which I have do endure..... since this topic is about CIBF. [Frown]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snake poison
Member # 10674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for snake poison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get me wrong, At least theres a book fair and a small margin will benefit.

I agree with you that num of readers is dropping, but it is really a mess, I love reading I do it mainly on websites like wikipedia and answers.

I was excited to go to the book fair, but it is a mess.
I can't help with how I feel.

If you go u'll understnad what I mean.

I am bitter and I am angry, put yourself in my shoe, wouldn't u be angry?

rarely have I seen something done properly in Egypt. and trust me I am an optimist, I alwasy try to find the positive side, but its soo little in here.

Posts: 517 | From: snake city | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snake poison
Member # 10674

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Oh, I can't wait to be back in Cairo! I actually miss the chaos of the Egyptians...... everything here in Germany is so organized and planned out well, we got rules and restrictions for every tiny thing..... it's so boring. Where is the excitement?! Now don't let me even start talking about the weather which I have do endure..... since this topic is about CIBF. [Frown]

nice one.

Egypt is the land of freedom, you are free to do what u want when u want, it has some benefits [Big Grin]

Valerie
Member # 6806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valerie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...I enjoyed my day at the Book Fair.
Yes...there were a lot of people...it's Cairo there are lots of people.
I had no trouble finding my way around, I also found lots of 'English' versions of the Koran
I bought lots of books, all up to date, but there were too many American books/publishers....come on the rest of the world!

Posts: 290 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Don't get me wrong, At least theres a book fair and a small margin will benefit.

I agree with you that num of readers is dropping, but it is really a mess, I love reading I do it mainly on websites like wikipedia and answers.

I was excited to go to the book fair, but it is a mess.
I can't help with how I feel.

If you go u'll understnad what I mean.

I am bitter and I am angry, put yourself in my shoe, wouldn't u be angry?

rarely have I seen something done properly in Egypt. and trust me I am an optimist, I alwasy try to find the positive side, but its soo little in here.

Like you, I was and still am angry and bitter about what we have done to Egypt. And I had to leave before I lost my mind in the mass mania.

The few times a year I miss the scene, I take a flight back home, and the moment I am standing there face to face with a passport control freak, I just want to take the next flight back.

When I was young and full of hope, I thought I could make a change. I left the city lights and went to work where no-one wants to work. I thought I had to start with myself if I really wanted to make the difference.

But I came back broken and frustrated. I suspect people of our nation of having a serious case of lead poisoning in their brain. I am not joking.

Your post made me angry because it reminded me of me, some time ago.

But I still have hope. Call me laz2ah , call me telmah .. I do have hope.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BM ® Bazoka machine
Member # 12757

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BM ® Bazoka machine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
a serious case of lead poisoning in their brain

IRREVERSIBLE UNRFORTUNATELY [Frown]
Posts: 126 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the Book Fair a few years ago and was actually impressed with the range of books that was on offer. Perhaps that was because I was comparing it with Luxor rather than with Europe.

--------------------
Everything for me - www.Luxor4me.com

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NourHayati
Member # 5507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NourHayati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Book Fair is not a zoo. The book fair is a once-a-year opportunity for most Egyptians to finally become acquainted with reading.[/QB]
Yes, acquainted with books. When a single piece costs 400 LE. You are right. And I was so silly to wonder how can Egyptians buy books, when I went to the AUC bookshop and spent almost 600 LE each time I visited Cairo. Book policy in Egypt is pathetic. If Egyptian people had the chance to buy good and cheap books, their cultural and intellectual level would have been much better. And this would have had positive effects to the country as a whole. Right or wrong?
Posts: 327 | From: balad alnour | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The books you bought must have been very special because the ones I bought were around 20 le each.

--------------------
Everything for me - www.Luxor4me.com

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by NourHayati:
quote:
The Book Fair is not a zoo. The book fair is a once-a-year opportunity for most Egyptians to finally become acquainted with reading.
Yes, acquainted with books. When a single piece costs 400 LE. You are right. And I was so silly to wonder how can Egyptians buy books, when I went to the AUC bookshop and spent almost 600 LE each time I visited Cairo. Book policy in Egypt is pathetic. If Egyptian people had the chance to buy good and cheap books, their cultural and intellectual level would have been much better. And this would have had positive effects to the country as a whole. Right or wrong?
I agree that many books are above the the capacity of an average Egyptian, but still, Egypt is one of the cheapest places where you can buy books.

When I was a student, all the international references were available in a cheaper "Egyptian student" version (think Gray's Anatomy for example [Wink] ) . The real one would cost about 700 LE, and those versions would be for about a 100 LE or even less.

It's not all that bad. But the problem is that people just won't read books. [Frown]

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't Suzanne Muabarak have that Family Library project that produces books in Arabic very cheaply to make them more accessible to people on low incomes, a bit like the original Penguin paperback books? They have published many classical and modern books in Arabic, mainly novels I think and sell them for 1.5 LE each.

Also if you buy books in Arabic generally, they are much cheaper. But if you want to buy books in English, quality translated books, or hardback books, they are naturally going to be more expensive here, due to the additional printing and publishing costs, and also the price of good quality translation work.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote from the Arab Human Development Report 2002:

'The Arab world translates
about 330 books annually, one fifth of the
number that Greece translates. The cumula-
tive total of translated books since the Caliph
Maa’moun’s time (the ninth century) is about
100,000, almost the average that Spain trans-
lates in one year (Galal, S., 1999).'

There is very little exciting reading material in Arabic, hence nobody reads. The concept of reading for pleasure doesn't exist. The idea that babies and young kids should think of books as entertainment like toys doesn't exist. Usually the first exposure to books for a child is at school, which is not a pleasurable experience. Reading is associated with study/work only. If people see you reading a book they ask, "Bitzakri?" (Are you studying?) When you explain it's for fun, they look nonplussed. [Confused]

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by citizen:

There is very little exciting reading material in Arabic, hence nobody reads. The concept of reading for pleasure doesn't exist. The idea that babies and young kids should think of books as entertainment like toys doesn't exist. Usually the first exposure to books for a child is at school, which is not a pleasurable experience. Reading is associated with study/work only. If people see you reading a book they ask, "Bitzakri?" (Are you studying?) When you explain it's for fun, they look nonplussed. [Confused]

One of the biggest things I miss out on about being seperate3d from my daughter is reading to her.

I go shopping for gifts with my mom for my nephew. The quality of childrens books today are excellent. Problem is there are alot of characters about pigs, which doesn't help. But the higher quality books don't have pigs and often have social, historical, philosophical and ethical plots to them.

Why can't Suzanne Mubarak go to these publishers and try to work out a compromise on 5,000 childrens book titles for translation? I am more than convinced that many publishers would step forward if not double the asked for titles.

But then again alot of these books aren't very Arab in nature and I am sure the project would be downed early on by subversive powers.

Yet you cannot encourage an Arab publishing house to produce high quality and low cost childrens books.

I am pushing for mother to buy more children's books at thrift stores for me. Alot of those suburban thrift stores are filled with some of the best childrens books on the market, or some outdated books as well. But what matters to me is I go over there with at least 100 childrens books. and I will be getting them translated, printing the translations on clear "sticker" quality printouts and putting them to the pages so I can practice my Arabi before hand and be able to read to her in her own language.

But seriously I know a bunch of publishing houses would be more than happy to donate the copyrights for their children's materials. I just have absolutely no confidence in the Egyptian government to carry out the program effectively, if at all. [Frown]

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:

Yeah I read this before. Embarrassing, isn't it?

That's one of the things that make feel like a misfit. When people sit down and talk, it's either about hot T.V. babes, or (star) gossip, or politics (usually cursing the father of Mr. President and his government without any other constructive info), and for the ladies it's about hair and make-up and losing weight, or finally finding God and deciding to wear the veil. And for both genders, cursing the day the opposite gender was born.

When I do try to take the conversation into another direction, it takes the form of a medical consultation.

That is all.

I am not saying that I am being interelctual and all that, all I want to say is that reading forms a considerable part of our characters and that one of the best ways to keep us (Egyptians) stuck in the black hole we're in now is to keep the status quo of lack of reading/illiteracy.

You know, every single person I read for has left a piece of his soul in mine. It's like when someone teaches you something, and every time you do that what you've been taught, you think of that particular person. Reading someone's words is like bonding with him oceans away.

Just like we're doing now.

quote:
Sadly totally agree.

And what Mrs. Mubarak has done is absolutely brilliant. Unfortunately I don't know what impact this has had on the new generations. Do you know of nay statistics about children going to those mobile libraries?

NourHayati
Member # 5507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NourHayati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has to do with the general mentality over books, reading and learning, unfortunately. And it begins at school. When I spent so much money at the AUC bookshop, I bought mostly novels translated in english, once I bought a dictionary I needed. And I bought a few items each time to make sure I was able to carry them back home with me, don't imagine my bag was full of books. But looking around I saw that even novels on arabic in paperback editions were as expensive. It made me sad think that knowledge was a good kept for the elite. A bookshop on Talaat Harb square, close to a corner shop selling souvenirs - I am sure some of you have seen it - has similar prices on books, arabic and english ones. What a pity! I read on my guide that there are second-hand booksellers in Ataba, there was an article on them at "touregypt.net" once. And I tried to find them once or twice but without success [Frown]
Posts: 327 | From: balad alnour | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snake poison
Member # 10674

Member Rated:
quote:
It has to do with the general mentality over books, reading and learning, unfortunately. And it begins at school.

So true, in school kids learn how to pass exmas, not learn the material, and here goes the basics of learning.

The lack of Analytical and critical thinking is keeping Egypt behind.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
It has to do with the general mentality over books, reading and learning, unfortunately. And it begins at school.

So true, in school kids learn how to pass exmas, not learn the material, and here goes the basics of learning.

I disagree. It begins at home. The first 6 years of the human life form his character as much as the following years, if not more. Some people even claim that it all starts since the moment of conception!

But of course school plays a major role indeed. Remember when we were kids at school, we loved certain subjects and hated others based on how the teachers were. A nice and friendly and lovely and funny teacher made us love her subject. It could even affect our career choices!

How many of those teachers do we have in Egypt?

snake poison
Member # 10674

Member Rated:
quote:

How many of those teachers do we have in Egypt?

The ones I've had can be counted on my fingers.

but the learning attitude it self from the students side is mostly negative, thus affecting the teacher's. Demotivation is devestating.

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a sad article about the censorship that happened prior to the bookfair, and might also be useful to those who are thinking of shipping books into Egypt about what not to try to bring into the country through customs. It also confirms that the bookfair will be closing on Sunday.

Egypt censors Zorba the Greek, Kundera at book fair

Thu Feb 1, 2:45 PM ET

The Egyptian government censored several Egyptian and foreign titles at its annual book fair, including the classic novel "Zorba the Greek" as well as books by Czech author Milan Kundera, a Lebanese publisher said.

"They didn't tell us directly about the banning, but when we arrived at the fair certain boxes containing these important titles didn't arrive," said Nabil Nofal, a member of the sales team of the Lebanese publisher Dar al-Adab.

"We knew from previous experience that the censor had banned them," he said, explaining that every year certain boxes of books simply do not arrive and are never returned.

In addition to Greek author Nikos Kazantzakis's 1946 masterpiece, Arabic translations of Czech author Milan Kundera's "Unbearable Lightness of Being" and "The Book of Laughter and Forgetting" were also not allowed into the country.

The Lebanese publisher's editions of works by Arab and Egyptian authors such as prominent feminist Nawal al-Saadawi and Edward al-Kharrat were also banned.

"The authorities banned a number of my books," Saadawi told AFP, expressing bafflement that a three-volume autobiography was among those banned when her material was distributed in the country by an Egyptian publisher 10 years earlier without a problem.

Censorship in Egypt is carried out by two separate bodies, with local publishers subject to the Ministry of Culture and all foreign publications, whether books or media, passing through the Ministry of Information's censorship department.

Past books to be censored in Egypt include Paul Coelho's "Eleven Minutes" and Dan Brown's "Da Vinci Code," as well as numerous works by Arab authors such as Abdel Rahman Munif.

Works are usually censored for issues of sex, religion and politics, with foreign authors running afoul of the first two, and Arab authors getting into trouble over the final one.

Egypt's 10-day annual book fair, the largest in the region, concludes on Sunday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070201/lf_afp/egyptcensorbooks_070201194038

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NourHayati
Member # 5507

They are assh.... And just think, I read on a greek site a few days ago that Greece will be the country of honor at the International Book Fair in Cairo next year! Do they think they can ban all Kazantzaki's works? He also wrote "The last Temptation", shall they censor this one as well? I'm sorry, but if I wanted to bring censored titles in Egypt, I would do not pass them through the customs; thanks for informing me! I know what to do now, in case I ever move to Cairo.
BM ® Bazoka machine
Member # 12757

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for BM ® Bazoka machine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:

Works are usually censored for issues of sex,

if that is true then thumb up egypt
but i dont thinkk it's true

Posts: 126 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mme. Godiva:
Yet you cannot encourage an Arab publishing house to produce high quality and low cost childrens books.

[/QB]

Actually some publishers are trying. You'll find the National Geogrpaphic (aimed at 'youth') translated for the first time by Nahdet Misr at the Bookfair this year. It's a sort of vicious circle, though, as publishers can't survive without sales and books are not high on families' shopping lists. There are very few attractive bookshops, and the ones that do exist cater to foreigners and Egyptian 'elites'.

The bedtime story, which may be the first fun encounter with books for kids in the West, is unknown here.

It's one of these 'Where do you start?' problems.

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I disagree. It begins at home. The first 6 years of the human life form his character as much as the following years, if not more. Some people even claim that it all starts since the moment of conception!

I agree, it's those bath books, squeeky books, flap (!) books, and of course the bedtime story that really foster a love of books before the kids even reach school.
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mme. Godiva:

Actually some publishers are trying. You'll find the National Geogrpaphic (aimed at 'youth') translated for the first time by Nahdet Misr at the Bookfair this year. It's a sort of vicious circle, though, as publishers can't survive without sales and books are not high on families' shopping lists. There are very few attractive bookshops, and the ones that do exist cater to foreigners and Egyptian 'elites'.

The bedtime story, which may be the first fun encounter with books for kids in the West, is unknown here.

It's one of these 'Where do you start?' problems. [/QB]

Well I don't think National Geographic is willing to price their materials so they'd actually move off their shelves in Egypt. There is a nice tax deduction for publishing houses to reprint their titles in a market like Egypt.

I worked for a short time at Augustine (sp?) Fortress publishing. Its a Lutheran publisher of church materials and theology textbooks. This publisher is one of the few who actually continue to publish in various languages and distribute to the developing world's churches and seminaries. They get a tax break, but they have been doing this for over a 100 years and one of the few publishers out there willing to price materials in order to bring books to the "popular classes" meaning everyone.

Besides National Geographic isn't really the best publisher to have in the Middle East. "Veils and Daggers: A Century of National Geographic's Representation of the Arab World " http://www.amazon.ca/Veils-Daggers-National-Geographics-Representation/dp/1566397529

Linda Street has some rather strong negative opinions about National Geographic. And her research just pretty clearly enforces her points. Lets put it this way, how many photographers in the 1920s will risk photographing a bare chested or completely naked Bedion woman? And yes those photos were in there. I just hope that National Geographic sticks to subjects that are positive and doesn't reinforce the "savage and barbarian" mentality that NG has for most of the non-white world.

No I am more concerned with what many of the other usernames are pointing to, the bath books, squeeky books, and the beautiful bedtime stories. And it just so happens that quite a few US universities donate the copyrights to their self-produced textbook materials to universities in developing countries, I think "Golden Books" could and should donate their copyrights for childrens titles to a country like Egypt.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC LAUNCHES CHILDREN'S MAGAZINE IN EGYPT

WASHINGTON (Jan. 15, 2007)--National Geographic Society launches the newest edition of its children's magazine in Egypt this month, bringing to 14 the number of international editions of its children's publications. This is National Geographic's first Arabic-language magazine.

National Geographic Youth will be published by Nahdet Misr Publishing Group and is the first scientific and cultural children's magazine in the Arab world. Each 40-page issue will be reviewed by Arab scientists such as Zahi Hawass, secretary general of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities and a National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence.

Content for the magazine will be drawn primarily from the award-winning U.S. magazine National Geographic Kids and from other Society publications, including the Society's classroom magazine, National Geographic Explorer. The Egyptian edition will also include local content related to the environment and other topics. Egypt's First Lady, Suzan Mubarak, has written an introduction for the launch issue. The magazine will be available by subscription and on newsstands in Egypt.

Local editions of National Geographic's children's magazine are also available in Croatia, Germany, Hungary, Latin America, Montenegro, the Netherlands, Belgium, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia, South Africa, Turkey and the United Kingdom. This growth mirrors the global expansion of the famous yellow-bordered National Geographic magazine, now available in 29 local-language editions. The children's magazines, which accept advertising, sport the familiar yellow border, emphasizing brand recognition of National Geographic magazine, which is read by 40 million people each month in every country in the world.

"The growth spurt of our children's publications allows National Geographic and the local-language publishers to reach an untapped youth market with this best-loved brand," said Society President John Fahey. "Giving young people in Egypt a window to the world in Arabic through National Geographic's incomparable photographs and storytelling is a compelling way to extend the Society's mission to spread geographic knowledge."NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC LAUNCHES CHILDREN'S MAGAZINE IN EGYPT

WASHINGTON (Jan. 15, 2007)--National Geographic Society launches the newest edition of its children's magazine in Egypt this month, bringing to 14 the number of international editions of its children's publications. This is National Geographic's first Arabic-language magazine.

National Geographic Youth will be published by Nahdet Misr Publishing Group and is the first scientific and cultural children's magazine in the Arab world. Each 40-page issue will be reviewed by Arab scientists such as Zahi Hawass, secretary general of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities and a National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence.

Content for the magazine will be drawn primarily from the award-winning U.S. magazine National Geographic Kids and from other Society publications, including the Society's classroom magazine, National Geographic Explorer. The Egyptian edition will also include local content related to the environment and other topics. Egypt's First Lady, Suzan Mubarak, has written an introduction for the launch issue. The magazine will be available by subscription and on newsstands in Egypt.

Local editions of National Geographic's children's magazine are also available in Croatia, Germany, Hungary, Latin America, Montenegro, the Netherlands, Belgium, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia, South Africa, Turkey and the United Kingdom. This growth mirrors the global expansion of the famous yellow-bordered National Geographic magazine, now available in 29 local-language editions. The children's magazines, which accept advertising, sport the familiar yellow border, emphasizing brand recognition of National Geographic magazine, which is read by 40 million people each month in every country in the world.

"The growth spurt of our children's publications allows National Geographic and the local-language publishers to reach an untapped youth market with this best-loved brand," said Society President John Fahey. "Giving young people in Egypt a window to the world in Arabic through National Geographic's incomparable photographs and storytelling is a compelling way to extend the Society's mission to spread geographic knowledge."
http://press.nationalgeographic.com/pressroom/index.jsp?pageID=
pressReleases_detail&siteID=1&cid=1168956374867

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
So Cairo residents, does anyone know if the book fair is still on? The losers haven't paid their site bill yet!

http://www.cibf.org/en/index.cfm [Roll Eyes]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com