EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » 2007 is my 10th year using the internet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2007 is my 10th year using the internet
BM ® Bazoka machine
Member # 12757

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BM ® Bazoka machine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use internet since 1997 [Cool]

i think internet comes to egypt in 1995?
right?

wut about u? and your country?

1ofmy 1st sites i visited is maktob.com
wut's ur 1st site u visted?

Posts: 126 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i was pretty young when i started using the internet, i cant remember exactly at what age. but we used america online, and i had a kids account, so EVERYTHING was blocked. but i could play games. so that was fun. [Smile]
Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started using the internet in 2000 when I was pregnant with my second child and complained to hubby that I was bored during the day - and I just don't like to watch TV.

One of my first sites I visited was an US international adoption website (rainbowkids.com)as I tried to gather more information.

BTW I lived from 95 - 98 in Cairo but I wasn't aware of any internet cafes out which were established during that timeframe.

Using the internet is fantastic..... you can find all kind of informations in no time! [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahmedo
Member # 12713

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahmedo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
History of internet in Egypt
Posts: 94 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ahmed online:
History of internet in Egypt

Hey, Ahmed, thanks for the link! [Smile]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember how long ago I started using it. The one thing I do remember is that I had AOL when it was just AOL, and not AOL 9. How scary is that? LOL

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sheba76:
I don't remember how long ago I started using it. The one thing I do remember is that I had AOL when it was just AOL, and not AOL 9. How scary is that? LOL

Me too Sheba, AOL dial-up. Then it was MSN dial-up and now I love my broadband connection!! [Smile]
Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG.......how I would love broadband. I'm still on dial-up. [Frown]

I live in the country. So DSL is not available yet. Broadband is like 100/month. Too much. LOL

I miss watching movies and stuff.

I wrote a paper recently on the disadvantages of a dial-up student. LOL I got an A. Seems I presented a good arguement. [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes] [Frown]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my first email account in 1998. Had to it was part of a classroom assignment. Then I started reading news articles on line.

I barely touched the internet until 2003 and all hell broke loose.

But then again I read alot on web application development and have my spare projects. I don't think I could sever my relationship with the internet and still be a part of the modern world. I've got too many projects.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ya Ragal
Member # 11695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ya Ragal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
مبروك
Posts: 377 | From: أنا نسيت | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
quote:
مبروك
hehehe I get so excited and proud of myself when I can read things. LOL

mabrook right?

[Big Grin]

Cats In The Craddle
Member # 12627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cats In The Craddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They say we're young, don't watch TV;
They say the Internet is all we see.
But that's not true; they've got it wrong.
See, all our shows are just two minutes long...

Hey...
I got YouTube.
I got YouTube.

They say Gen X won't follow news,
The New York Times can only stand to lose!
If all the papers go away,
How will we learn the stories of the day?

Dude-
We got YouTube.
We got YouTube.

I got movie parodies...
Funny ads from overseas...
Webcams of kids! On air guitar!
Anything funny, all messed up, or bizarre!

(Key change!)

So let them say Google overpaid;
I say they got the better of the trade.
Just throw your HDTV aside-
The future's on a screen three inches wide...

Yay!
I got YouTube-
Make that GooTube!

I can watch "The Daily Show"...
Just the parts I need to know!
Lots of music, lots of laughs,
Politicans' latest gaffes,
LonelyGirls and music vids,
Cameraphones and "Star Wars" kids!
Copyrights get stomped a bit,
But kids my age don't give a-
..uh, care a whit!

Dude!
I got YouTube.
I got YouTube.
I got YouTube.
http://www.davidpogue.com/

Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsC
Member # 10808

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrsC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!!!
Posts: 549 | From: charm el feikh? | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two of my daughters have babies, they can barely find time to spend a couple of hours weekly on the internet, with all the work and responsibilities of parenting and family life.

I don't understand how mothers with young children find the time to be on the internet for any length of time.

Thinking back to the time when my children were young, I barely had time to relax with a book in the evening, let alone sit behind a computer for hours.

How do you all manage?

Has the internet replaced quality family time?

ETA
There is a website for internet addicts, where you can be treated online. [Eek!] LOL

Wonder if AA holds any of their meetings in the local bar? [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Two of my daughters have babies, they can barely find time to spend a couple of hours weekly on the internet, with all the work and responsibilities of parenting and family life.

I don't understand how mothers with young children find the time to be on the internet for any length of time.

Thinking back to the time when my children were young, I barely had time to relax with a book in the evening, let alone sit behind a computer for hours.

How do you all manage?

Has the internet replaced quality family time?

ETA
There is a website for internet addicts, where you can be treated online. [Eek!] LOL

Wonder if AA holds any of their meetings in the local bar? [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Good question, Laura, I've been wondering the same myself!
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Well for me, it does not replace family time. Often me and kids are sitting here together researching stuff. Usually for them. Or they are talking to their father on yahoo. Things like that. Every so often I'll click on ES just to see what's new. They like it too. But, I don't let them read ALL the stuff here. Certainly not the crap! But since they love my guy and he loves them. They are dying to learn more about Egypt, culture, the way the family thinks.........so ES holds interest for them too.

When my kids were small my time was very very limited. Like maybe an hour a week, if that much.

Now they are older, help out more around the house, have their own things to do, etc. So that helps. Also, I am very fortunate. My ex pays all the bills, and has since divorce seen that my education is important, and my relationship with my guy. So he is in full support of my school, my guy, etc. Why couldn't he have been like that before? [Confused] I wonder if he realizes it's best for the family, or if he sees it as the sooner I have my degree, and my guy, the sooner he does not have to pay out so much? LOL

Actually most of the time I sit in front of the pc I am studying too. I'll study a little, switch some laundry, oh this yahoo friend in Italy said hi, take a minute chat with her, study.....clean......you get the picture. I do mostly online classes. So popping in a few times a day is really not a big deal.

Now because one of my hardest classes is a philosophy class. (for me anyway) It literally makes my head hurt. I mean my brain feels like its been run over and pulled 20 miles by a Mack truck. LOL So when the pressure is on........I pop into ES for a few minutes. It seems to relax me and bring me back to earth some. It always helps. And there is always that ridiculous crap that is often posted to look authentic. Well.........it just cracks me up. So.......what's a better break for a philosophy class? LOL

And to think you guys thought I sat at pc all day. [Roll Eyes] [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not me Sheba.. [Razz] [Razz] [Big Grin]

When you finish your philosphy class, can you take a few psychology courses? I think it will help when reading this site. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I think there are a few "case studies" here for the books..haha

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caterpillar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura
I have studied psychology and trust me, everyone is a case study in one way or another.

I started using the net mostly in about 1997 ish, when i started studying again, at first i didnt know what to go on AT ALL, i was sooo scared of MSN and could never figure out what to search for...

Then about 4 years ago i went on alot for more social reasons, discovered the joys of meeting people on line...did i say joys? sorry must have mistyped, i mean the nightmare of meeting people on line...........lots of nasty people out there!

And yes, Laura, i think it did affect my family life at the time because i was a lone parent and was very lonely so it became too much of a life line, i think you let your defenses down too much when you are lonely and internet can be baaaad for that.

Nowadays its on most of the time, mostly due to work, but also for study, great for learning about islam and just about anything, plus having a little bit of a banter with people in between everything else, work, study, kids, family..

Amazing how it has become so essential for people nowadays, fantastic on one hand, but arguably can lead to anti social behaviour and can take people away from real life too much...

this topic would make good research

Posts: 1017 | From: uk | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well for me, it does not replace family time. Often me and kids are sitting here together researching stuff. Usually for them. Or they are talking to their father on yahoo. Things like that. Every so often I'll click on ES just to see what's new. They like it too. But, I don't let them read ALL the stuff here. Certainly not the crap! ...

In other words, the kids don't get to enjoy Uncle Lazeez Daily Wisdom.

TSK TSK TSK

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

quote:
Originally posted by caterpillar:
Laura
I have studied psychology and trust me, everyone is a case study in one way or another.

I started using the net mostly in about 1997 ish, when i started studying again, at first i didnt know what to go on AT ALL, i was sooo scared of MSN and could never figure out what to search for...

Then about 4 years ago i went on alot for more social reasons, discovered the joys of meeting people on line...did i say joys? sorry must have mistyped, i mean the nightmare of meeting people on line...........lots of nasty people out there!

And yes, Laura, i think it did affect my family life at the time because i was a lone parent and was very lonely so it became too much of a life line, i think you let your defenses down too much when you are lonely and internet can be baaaad for that.

Nowadays its on most of the time, mostly due to work, but also for study, great for learning about islam and just about anything, plus having a little bit of a banter with people in between everything else, work, study, kids, family..

Amazing how it has become so essential for people nowadays, fantastic on one hand, but arguably can lead to anti social behaviour and can take people away from real life too much...

this topic would make good research

I think another good topic for research would be how truthful people are when they are online.

It seems to me that many times men are scrutinized as being liars or having hidden motives, yet anything a woman says is taken for truth.

Are women deemed more credible, and why?

caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caterpillar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there are just as many women that are just as bad, but i think that men dont talk about it, thats the trouble... it is easy for the women to play the victim and its a shame because then when someone comes along who is sincere you might not take them seriously. But i definately agree with you, it is unequal and men are often accused of things unfairly, i always stand by you never truly know what goes on in a relationship unless you are in it yourself and what might be acceptable for one person isnt for the next, but that doesnt make it wrong. If that makes any sense.

Of course it also depends on the audience, women are more likely to simpathise with women, which is why i think you get alot of sympathy on here, this section in particular... sometimes i read what someone replies and think 'noooooooo, dont waste your breath, this cant possibly be true' but then how am i to know...could go on forever on this

Posts: 1017 | From: uk | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, ready?

First word processor was an old giant IBM and it was good for word processing ONLY, but it was a huge step up from automatic typewriters and I embraced it. (We also were living in Central California, and there was a Tech boom just beginning in San Jose, so we had early beta model computers in the classroom my last years of HS in the 80's)

I started with the internet on a computer I bought at Sears that had a program called PRODIGY on it. In 1991. SIXTEEN YEARS PEOPLE!!! Originally I was writing short stories and serial novellas and posting them to newgroups and interest groups (alt.net) I used it as a tool for self publishing but things were pretty much on a listserv order.

Then as my life moved forward and I got kids, and was in college, I had no dollars, but too many brains and kept building new components into the hard drive I had. I added a cd/rom drive, and more RAM, and added modem capability and sound cards. I learned the computer bareknuckles, and am still comfortable cracking open a case. I had nothing but time after the kids showed up, so I would download manuals in the college computer center and tought myself HTML and sql*, as well as Java programming, (with classroom support classes) I really just wanted to make a jazzy webpage (back in the days of writing a script in code versus point and click drop in technology), and use it to communicate with family in remote places. Since then, I've done it all, from dating sites, to watching movies, all my banking, all my holiday shopping, ordering flowers, and subscribing to interest forums like this. I don't use email anylonger for personal communications so much, but have a full mailbox each day nontheless. We call the internet the "BIG GIANT HEAD" and when anyone has a question of needs clarification on an issue, we always say, "let's go to the big giant head". (sort of a modern day version of "look it up") I use google earth to look at the homes of my parents and my hubbys parents.

I've been employed as a Technical Writer when I just left college so I was transcribing code into english for a few years, and am comfortable in that area as well, but the idea of using these skills as a way to pay the bills just never appealed to me. Most of the computer is basic engineering, mechanics and common sense. I've had online friendships/relationships and would break my own heart over and over again, but I never intended that an internet relationship would transfer to real life, the computer and internet was simply a great way to get out of my house and out into the larger world.

My dear hubby and I have never used the computer to correspond as I am too verbose and I loathe truncated text and vacous notes. When he was in Egypt the last time, we did cam to cam so I could see his family and we could all say hello etc.., but really? It was LAME. After the mini-reunion and hello festival I couldn't get pulled into sitting and looking at someone for hours. You ladies who build and foster relationships that begin online are a tenacious bunch and I give you all glory, because I wouldn't have the patience. But SIXTEEN YEARS (not countimg pre-internet usages) is a loooong time!!!

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Whoa. You're my kind of girl Cosmo.

I have to admit. I have a lot of the same experiences as you. But mine came in spurts over time.

I know what you mean 16 yrs. I remember starting on DOS......Lotus...... You remember all that? LOL [Big Grin]

Laura I've done a couple of psyc classes. Ok yes you learn a lot. But......ES is still in another galaxy. LOL [Big Grin]

quote:
In other words, the kids don't get to enjoy Uncle Lazeez Daily Wisdom.

Yup! [Big Grin]
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding child-raising/computing.... I'm not sure about how young you are thinking about, but I have always made hours of time for myself in the course of a 24 hours. Usually at night.
I do everything all day then my second shift starts around 10 p.m. when child is sleeping and I've puttered around doing the organizing for the next day. I do all my writing at night and love to proscratinate or break in the middle of a story. Thus having half a dozen forums to scan through as well as personal emails, news updates and ongoing research is essential for my brain. What a relief it is and makes writing flow better when you get a comic break.
When I tire of gazing at a screen I take a .22 out on the deck and try to shoot a coyote.
I think I would go completely and utterly nuts if all I did was housework, work-work, and child care. Its like putting a race horse in a 40 by 40 corral, I just wasn't bred for simplicity!
So how's that grab ya!
Oh yeah, and if that's not enough personal info, my daughter is homeschooled. Technically in 3rd grade, but working on many different academic levels - one of the benefits of homelearning.
So I also do not get ANY breaks during the day to grab a coffee and chat, do errands, or any of that stuff. And I still have hours to pursue my own interests.
Well, you asked!

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Your life sounds like mine. If you don't have too much to do, you're a little lost. LOL

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yup! [Big Grin]

I can imagine you reading threads around here and everytime my name comes up as a poster, your head turns around suddenly 360 degree to check if anyone around before you scroll down slowly, and after each line comes another quick complete head turning around.

Exactly my first experince with porn pics.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
LOL

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eeh dah! My scientific Bullshit thread is gone in less than a day, and the flappy thread stayed on for weeks.

Crazy world. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father bought a computer when I was about 10 years old so thats 1991. I used to play computer games and write. However, we only got the internet around 1997, when I was 16. We lived in an isolated nothern town of Canada (and I do mean Up-Up North-where-its-always-cold) and that was the first year that internet was available in private homes!

ive been addicted ever since!

--------------------
"Whashing One's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral" -Freire-

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com