EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Decluttering for relocation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Decluttering for relocation
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now this must be a biggy for families with small children or teenagers when relocating overseas.

I have read the "don't bring" and "must bring" lists for Cairo, but back at home the momuntous task of clearing out years of "stuff" must be off putting.

Or if you spend half the year in Egypt and half in your own country how do you coordinate between the two households?

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would be easier to ignore with 2 households. LOL Easier to put it off.

I personally have a real problem with this. It's mostly sentimental things. But I'm getting better now. Every year I pull it all down and get rid of stuff.

I'm a great organizer. But, I love keepsakes. [Frown]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After years of begging my mother to trust me with some family heirlooms and to buy me presents that are actually useful around the home, she is doing just that.

But with the massive guilt trip of "next year or the year after" in regards as if there isn't any plans in my future to relocate.

I did manage to talk her into taking the dresser and desk my father made for us as a set in childhood. Most of the other furniture can be given to a charity of some sort.

But I know in the last few weeks there will be some rather tough discussions about whether I can take this ceramic baking bowl or this set of "wine glasses" (used for juice only) and all the other things I "have been annointed" with since I got married. No way in hell will she let me take about 8 items overseas.

But then she gives me these things I can't take with, and I will want when I come back. My sister kept several large plastic storage bins in her basement for several years tucked away unnoticed, but she continueally complained about it.

Yet if I don't take certain heirlooms with it'll be "well your little daughter needs to see you bake/cook with that like I had watched your grandmother do the same, how is she going to grow up and understand how we do things at home"?

Holy fock-bucket, I know as soon as I accept a position and dare to tell her her wrath will be upon me. And then its grandma's turn, then my aunts, then my grandaunts then my mother's cousins, then our family friends; only then will I get to catch glimpses of my sister and cousins gigling and watching with awe wondering "what the hell will they come up with next?"

The last two trips over there, my aunts, family friends and well the whole damn extended family sent gifts for our daughter. They called and made sure they had their photo requests lined up so I'd take pictures with certain gifts and that I sang our daughter certain songs and blah blah blah.

Now my mother is asking if my daughter is allowed to learn hymnals because my nephew is learning her favorite hymnals (like my sister didn't plan this to gain favor).

Next will be the family's favorite childrens books from 60 years ago. Then grandma will take out the sweater my mother went through first communion in and request that her 10 birthday party she'd wear this.

Its like planning for a fricking funeral that lasts for 7 years.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com