EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Sour Cheese

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sour Cheese
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who liked the Sour Cheese?
Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess that answers my question. LOL

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what sour cheese?

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://i2.tinypic.com/2hzmsyq.jpg

It's the one on top in a little brownish lump all by itself. (i wonder why) If you see this....grab something quick to help choke it down. [Smile]

It is a special cheese in Egypt. Probably other ME countries too. But when you are served a typical meal, it is I think considered a special thing. Cuz those were the only times we had it. Sour. OMG it tastes like soured milk or something. You know when you have heartburn....the taste in your throat? YUK! Really, that was the nastiest stuff I ever tried.

I was given a lunch and well it was lovely. We sat on the floor had sour cheese, white cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, and big huge things of fateer. Looked like big pizzas sitting on the newspaper on the floor. It was wonderful. But the lady next to me kept giving me huge hunks of it on bread. She luuuuuuved me. I was the guest of honor. So naturally all eyes were on me. I tried so hard to smile and not throw up. I loved these ladies. They were being so nice. I really wanted to like it. But OMG............. Finally I learned to shove a big hunk of tomato and/or cucumber in with it. Chew for a really long time. Act like I was chewing. LOL It worked out. Then after all that, I said el hamam? LOLOL

That's another story. LOL

After the lunch. All the ladies gathered. We met outside. And all of them walked me through the village to the pharmacy. Little groups, hand in hand of course. The seemed so proud. It was great. Simple as it was. And though there were issues. [Frown] It was truly one of the best times I had. [Smile]

But I still don't like sour cheese.

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you're talking about Mish (wait a second, I don't even know the difference between gebna 7ad2a and mish!!)

I think it's made of the rotten milk leftovers. The black little things you might have found in it are not additives, they're rather invaders, i.e. soos (Batty, what's soos in English?!!). If you're lucky you would come across some dood as well (that's worms).

Hope you enjoyed it. [Razz]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuukkkkkkkk!!!!!!
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Do you like it? [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

karla
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karla         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sheba you killed me with that photo...today I ate just one sandwich [Mad] [Mad] and is 20.40...if you ask me right now that I like this cheese...my answer is yes!!!
Posts: 1414 | From: far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by karla:
sheba you killed me with that photo...today I ate just one sandwich [Mad] [Mad] and is 20.40...if you ask me right now that I like this cheese...my answer is yes!!!

[Big Grin]
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sheba76:

Do you like it?

I love it. But the last time I ate it was more than 10 years ago in Luxor with the lovely village people.

You can't get that stuff in Cairo easily. It's more of homemade countryside food. I never saw it in a shop, but I could be wrong.

Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
I only ate it in a little village. At least an hour from Cairo. LOL I felt they made it too. They were sooooooooooooo proud of it.

Love it? Really? What do you like about it? I just can't imagine. LOL

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
I think you're talking about Mish (wait a second, I don't even know the difference between gebna 7ad2a and mish!!)

I think it's made of the rotten milk leftovers. The black little things you might have found in it are not additives, they're rather invaders, i.e. soos (Batty, what's soos in English?!!). If you're lucky you would come across some dood as well (that's worms).

Hope you enjoyed it. [Razz]

ergh so so sick ,,i cooked my own food there wouddnt go down that road if hubby wanted his dishes he made then he payed for them and well he ate them i didnt ,any way converted indiegpytian now ..lol
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this once at hubby's friends house, mum bought all the food out and lay it all on the floor, as you do, and insisted I try it, that it was 'old cheese' YUKKK, sorry but it was yukkk, hubby seemed to love it though [Frown] he will eat anything!

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate it, won't touch it.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They sell that stuff (areesh) here in Alex. My first comment on seeing the huge metal wash bucket of it was, "they're selling diarrhea"?
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amon alex
Member # 12246

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amon alex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this old cheese called "gebna kadema" egyptien eat it long decades ago from pyramid builders age
they belive it,s useful with green onion.
you can say natural antibiotic.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 164 | From: Egypt | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
I think I remember it being called that.

Antibiotic.......ok, I could agree with that.........it definately could kill anything.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New recipe for the food forum? Pasta with Penicillin sauce.
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshkiA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They actually sell this cheese in the States. [Smile] We found it in a Greek/Arabic import store in the DC area. YUCK!
Posts: 177 | From: Alexandria,Egypt / Missouri,USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
quote:
They actually sell this cheese in the States. We found it in a Greek/Arabic import store in the DC area. YUCK!
I thought WMD's were illegal? [Eek!]
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i never tried it. I do however love the white cheese that is next to in in the picture, the one between the one you dont like and the plate that looks to have a meat on it. I was so addicted to that one.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptian cheese doesn't exacty make my taste buds dance with excitement. It is ok, at best. Who cares anyway, when they have such fantasic bread, fresh fruit and vegetables? The ripe tomatoes in Sheba's pic just reminded me how tasteless tomatoes are in winter here. [Frown]
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just can't figure out why Egypt can't make their own line of 'different' cheeses so it's not so expensive. Cheddar, bleu cheese, etc., so high a price, you want cheap cheese? FETA FETA FETA ....omg enough with the feta. Is it so expensive to make their own cheeses???? [Confused]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i never tried it. I do however love the white cheese that is next to in in the picture, the one between the one you dont like and the plate that looks to have a meat on it. I was so addicted to that one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't like most of the white cheese. But you know it's home made. Different tastes. But when my guys mom made that cheese..........OMG It was delicious. Also, no one had anything on her and her bread. No one elses was near as good. Fateer and the little round one kind of like a biscuit. (American) Oh they were to die for.

OMG I miss it all so much. [Frown] (tear)

That tray of food was one from the last night I was there. They whole family stayed up all night with me. Friends were in an out too. Then they all sent me off with love, hugs, tears, prayers, and best wishes. It was awesome. [Smile] (tearsssssssssss)

sniff sniff

Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
quote:
when they have such fantasic bread, fresh fruit
My apartment was above a bakery. It was awesome.

Well........we all know the mangoes there cannot compare to the ones here.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this thread is making me so homesick [Frown]

BM ® Bazoka machine
Member # 12757

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BM ® Bazoka machine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE ILGEBANA ILHAD2A ILMESH. IT'S DELICIOUS WITH SOME TOMATOES/LEMON( BANZAHEER) + SOME TEHENA TO DILUTE THE SALT AND IT'S GREAT

AS FOR IF THERE IS THE SOOS( WORMS), DURING THE PROCESS OF FILTERATION IT GOES AWAY.

Posts: 126 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
LOL

My guy said once. That Sour Cheese and Watermelon is a treat.

UGH!

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnona777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know.. I was afraid to click on the pic.. for a minute I thought we were talking about you-know-what from you-know-who
Posts: 431 | From: beantown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
LOL Almost fell off my chair. LOLOL

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEHEHE SHEBA THE POST IS HERE NOW I THINK I NEED SOME SLEEP ,HAD SUCH A ROUGH DAY WITH HUBBY FAITING HE MUST HAVE SMELLED YOUR SMELLY CHEESY SOCKS FROM HERE .......ROFL....

MY HUSBAND IS PREGNANT HE HAS PROTIEN IN HIS PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ....AWER NAH CUNDT BE ..LOL LOL

Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
hehehe

nite nite sis chimps [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com