EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » mushroom clouds of fire and smoke

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mushroom clouds of fire and smoke
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey what were those mushroom shaped clouds of fire and smoke vis a vis Sakkara pyramid last night around 3 am??

I live in Sakanat Maadi and i could see it so well from my balcony on the other side of the Nile.

There were multiple explosions with loud banging sound and mushrooms of fire lifting into the sky for at least 20-30 minutes.

Whats going on? couldnt find anything in the news about it.

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Training for new police torture tactics?
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mubarak had foul for dinner [Wink] [Big Grin]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
someone trying out the recipes from the recipe section?? [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dang!!!!! Don't tell me........ sono is in Cairo?
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hhhmmm might explain why she's not posting here, she's cooking the Pyramids [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were on the way back from Deals and saw this too!

Looked like fireworks?!

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muby
Member # 12717

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
may be it's military or police training , no more, but everything is under control [Smile] I live close to there
Posts: 51 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THERE IS A GAS WAREHOUSE AND STORAGE DEPOT IN GIZA NEAR TAMMMUH.
THE NOISE WAS CAUSED BY 8 GAS CYLINDERS ( THE ONES USED FOR COOKING) EXPLODING CLOSE TO THE FACILITY.

JUST IMAGINE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF THEY EXPLODED IN THE ACTUAL STORAGE DEPOT???????????????? [Eek!]

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the problem is that I dont live anywhere near Giza, but near Sakkara.

There were not 8 explosions but more like 50 exactly in the same spot, over 30 min.

I got it all on video, its crazy; big balls of fire lifting in the sky!!

--------------------
"Whashing One's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral" -Freire-

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spoke to someone who lives there.

They said that there was a lorry outside the gas depot carrying gas bottles.
It had 20 bottles full of gas and was going to reload.
The lorry was sitting outside in the street outside the yard containing all the gas bottles.
For some reason and they dont know why yet the bottle ignited on the back of the lorry ( possible leak?) this in turn set off the rest of the bottles one by one.

It would have been seen by people many miles away. Sakkara is not that far from Tammuh.

Nothing official yet but this info came from locals close to the depot.

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truck loaded with gas explodes south of Giza, no casualties

By Adam N. Makary and Frederick Deknatel
First Published: February 11, 2007

GIZA: The village of Temoua was rocked early Saturday morning when a truck loaded with gas tanks belonging to the Misr Petroleum Company unexpectedly exploded.

The blast occurred, according to local witnesses, after one of the small tanks, intended for residential use in the poor southern Giza neighborhood, ignited and set off the hundreds of other tanks on the truck.

Other sources added that the truck, carrying license plate number 16285, which was driven by Goma Hussein, was on its way to a storage facility located near Temoua.

Some 11 fire-engines rushed to the scene of the accident and managed to contain the resulting fire. General Mohamed Yassin, deputy Giza governor, was quoted in the press as saying that the fire that broke out behind Temoua’s healthcare unit had not resulted in any fatalities or losses.

Local witnesses and police in Temoua also said no one was reported injured or hospitalized by the blasts.

“People were asleep,” said Mahmoud Ahmed Mohammed El Asi, 17, “and then one gas tank exploded and took all the tanks surrounding them. At least 300 exploded.” El Asi said he hoped the Minister of Petroleum would “clean up the mess outside his backyard.”

Qasim Abdul Majid, an African American from Queens, NY living in Temoua with his wife Eva, said he was awoken at 1:30 am by the sound of an explosion. “I looked out my window and saw a puff of smoke, and then heard another explosion,” he said “and then a third one.”

The charred remains of the truck and ruined gas tanks littered a muddy lot down a back alley in Temoua on Saturday afternoon. Black blast marks were visible on a wall near the exploded truck, surrounded by puddles of water and rubble.

Two other trucks similarly loaded with gas tanks were parked at the other end of the lot, approximately 20 m from the blast site. Local witnesses said the trucks were moved on Saturday morning, following the explosion.

About a dozen state security and police trucks lined the main road of Temoua St., a few blocks away.

The government security forces said they arrived soon after the gas tanks exploded, although Mohammad Mahmoud, 29, an engineer and resident of Temoua, told the The Daily Star Egypt that they did not arrive until 11 in the morning.

An exact time frame of events following the blasts was confounded by conflicting local accounts.

Three police officers on Temoua St. were vague about the time of the blasts and one told the The Daily Star Egypt that the tanks exploded “at 3, no 2, no 1:30.”

“The government came in the morning and left after an inspection,” one officer said, who refused to release his name for publication.

The officers said they did not know when the rubble would be cleared from the neighborhood. The area of the explosion appeared to be a partial construction site — a half-built cement structure with steps leading to an un-built second-floor stood adjacent to the blast site.

On Saturday afternoon, the lot was full of young children playing in the rubble, picking up pieces of gas tanks and even the remains of the truck’s muffler.

“I was at home, and I heard the tanks explode,” said Alaa Shahin Araby, 16.

“It was a really bad sight. They ruined our driveways and it’s going to take a long time to clean up.”

But the gas canister explosions in Temoua are not the first of their kind. Just a day before, on Friday, the residents of the village of Samanud were awakened by a series of similar explosions.

At 3.30 in the morning they were shocked to have seen gas cylinders flying in the air and falling on neighboring houses. Sahar Mohamed, 35, died of cardiac arrest that hit her as a result of the shock.

On Wednesday a woman was killed and six were injured in the village of Agha, Daqhlia, when a truck loaded with 500 cylinders exploded.

http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=5547

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com