EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » residency permits and multi-trip visas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: residency permits and multi-trip visas
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 5 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this gets discussed occasionally but I'm still not clear... [Confused] [Confused]

If you get a temporary residency for 1 year of whatever form, what sort of visa do you need to get? At present I have got a multi-trip visa valid for 6 months which covers single visits up to 3 months duration.

I'm all confuzzled. The Egyptian Consulate in London doesn't seem inclined to answer any questions!

(PS - British passport holder - not married to an Egyptian).

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptian consulate, especially if it's the sour faced older woman that sits at the right hand side window, won't give you any help. [Roll Eyes]

Basically you'll only get a tourist visa. There's no way to get a residency if you're not working for a company (who applies for you) or if you're not married to an Egyptian. The tourist visa is usually sufficient and you can get 1 year visa with multiple entries meaning you can enter and exit as many times as you like within that period. To renew the one year you just go to mogamma and they do it with no questions asked (or the consulate in London). I think it's cheaper in Egypt and also you get your passport back same day.

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing that often causes confusion here is that written on the tourist visa is "Temporary Residence for Touristic Purposes", and they say that this visa can be given for "touristic or other purposes". So what you need to ask for when you renew your current visa is for a one-year multiple entry tourist visa.

They can renew it in Mogamma in a day if you go first thing in the morning; if you happen to go on Thursday afternoon it could take 4 days [Frown] As a tip, you have a 2 weeks grace period after it expires to renew it, but best not to risk it unless its unavoidable. After that, depending on your passport, you may have to pay a penalty fee or risk not having it renewed.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tutandmoane
Member # 12060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tutandmoane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For anyone in red sea area, best place to get visa is El Tor. Easy, nice people, helpful. I easily got 1 year tourist visa with multiple entry ( you must state you want multiple entry also) 2 times in less than 1 hour. I also got my 5 year residency 2 years ago in about 20 minutes!
Posts: 319 | From: egypt/uk | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tutandmoane
Member # 12060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tutandmoane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry - forgot - DONT go on Thursdays!!! Monday busy also.Tuesday and Wednesday best days
Posts: 319 | From: egypt/uk | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been living in Egypt on a "Temporary Residence" visa for nearly ten years. It is perfectly accepable to the authorities for just about anything, including general living, buying property, renting property, opening bank accounts or setting up a business in Egypt.

--------------------
Everything for me - www.Luxor4me.com

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valerie
Member # 6806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valerie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could someone explain...?
I have a year visa, but I had to get a multi exit/entry visa...separately...

Are you saying this can be combined in one document?

Posts: 290 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not as far as I am aware. I have always had two different stamps in my passport - one red and one blue.

--------------------
Everything for me - www.Luxor4me.com

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had temporary residence stamp for 1 year and multiple entry stamp for 6 months sorted on the same day, cost was about 65LE for the lot.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
I had temporary residence stamp for 1 year and multiple entry stamp for 6 months sorted on the same day, cost was about 65LE for the lot.

So if I go to the mugamma I can get both, and then I have to go back after 6 months for a renewed multiple entry stamp?
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oldbag:
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:

So if I go to the mugamma I can get both, and then I have to go back after 6 months for a renewed multiple entry stamp?
yes you apply for both at the same time, its 2 stamps in your passport. When the multiple entry one runs out just go get it renewed. you only need the multiple entry to avoid paying for the visa each time you enter Egypt, if you are married to an Egyptian you dont need to pay anyway.
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimberley
Member # 5179

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimberley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Married as in Egypt or Uk if you are married in the Uk legally then can you not pay the entry or do you have to sort out in egypt????
Posts: 206 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Married as in got a copy of your marriage certificate, UK or Egyptian, show it to immigration on the way in. My passport has married to Egyptian written in it now.

--------------------

*Souri*
Member # 9095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Souri*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and what about for a work permit ? it is possible to get one via an agency ?

I was told that agency can take you up to 2000 LE to get you one

Posts: 1182 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
far as i know about work permits the employer applies for one for you.

--------------------

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is theoretically the duty of an employer to apply for the work visas for their foreign employees, but not all employers want to go through the hassle of it, especially when they can find ways round it.

I have heard of it costing around 1000 LE to pay someone to go through all the hassle of all the running around needed to be done to get a visa for someone...as there are people who can be employed privately by organizations especially to do this, and that is what they charge for the whole process. Although from what I understand, most of that is pocketed as personal fees for the work/effort/frustration involved in chasing round government departments, rather than for the actual cost of the visa. An agency may decide on their own fees...I guess it depends on how much the market will stand how much they will try to charge for it.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com