EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What's the best in Egypt??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's the best in Egypt??
loveegypt
Member # 13040

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for loveegypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to ask you all what do you like the most in Egypt. What does make you live there or keep visiting ? Is there anything soo special that you wouldn't find anywhere else?
Posts: 10 | From: Poland | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Memories......
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boring answer but my man!
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well you wouldnt beleive this but me husband thats why ....hes not a bad old sort really after all he is EGYPT i have a bit of it here with me now ....
got to keep trying havent we ...

Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my husband, the sun, The calling for prayer (i havnt been annoyed by it yet lol, i love the sound), the many cofee shops, the almost 24-hour open shops and supermarkets, the fantastic music (arabic is a very beautifull language), the fact that i seem to watch a hell of a lot less tv in egypt, im 50% less stressed then back home, i have the support and love of a huuuuuuuuuuuge ass family (lol), all with 10 first names (give or take a few) and many many more things...

so what can drive you crazy about egypt? No (absolutely no) cinemas in hurghada with good english spoken movies (btw, on the subject, is there any in cairo? would love to go), hustlers always trying to hit you for a few pounds, taxi drivers trying the "you only gave me 1 pound" trick, 1 pm dosent mean 1 pm, it could be 2 or 3
pm, you have to guess lmao... depending on who your meeting ofcourse. Crossing the streets, well knowing this could be your last day alive, not understanding most thats being said when arabic is being spoken (im doing my best to learn though) and the constantly flirting and comments from guys who see visa or money when they spot you.....

But for me the positive things makes all the negative things worth while easy..... I love Egypt...

Posts: 712 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the stars and how close they are to earth my husband, and all of my memories of the food the smells of the red sea and oh did i say my husband [Razz] [Razz]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loveegypt
Member # 13040

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for loveegypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ohh yes Imagine you are right talkin about the calling for prayer and everythin:)
All posts bring me back a looot of my own great memories.
Everything was some how better there [Smile]

Posts: 10 | From: Poland | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Giant, flying sorsar [Smile] Now those are *special*
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lying on the couch all day like Boneless Chicken, doing absolutely nothing, and getting served the best foods and fresh drinks, while chatting the night away with the family and friends.
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The summer. School is out and all the family heads to the North Coast. Traveling back and forth between villas and chalets, and doing just about exactly what MK described.

No sense of time or day. Sitting at the beach all day and outside under the stars all night.

Kids having so much fun and music playing and someone always dancing. Food and I mean great food. Pillow fights, water fights, purse stealing fights, hide the luggage fights, food fights, hide the shoes cuz someones trying to leave fights, FUN FIGHTS! [Big Grin]

I can't wait for summer!

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panman
Member # 12506

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sound like living next door to NFH [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 57 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by panman:
Sound like living next door to NFH [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I give in, what's NFH?

Wait, do you mean Neighbors from Hell? LOL If so, all the neighbors are with us, so they are just as wacky [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ Neighbors from Hell.
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

I got it the minute I hit Add reply.. [Big Grin] but thanks MK
mark2006
Member # 11594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mark2006     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Love Egypt ,
i know your question is for the foreigners living in Egypt , but i may reply you from my experience with them , all the above replies was right about the husband and and and , but what i see that tourst come here (first) to see the culture that is totaly different from there country , then they found other things , like non stop movment in the streets 24 hours a day , hehehe all cars make beep beep , almost alot of people would like to help , and will be very happy to speak to them (like a movies stars), the sun and the good weather , they found alot of pepols speak there language (in the other hand if an egyptian go as a tourst in any country will never find any think with his lang), our way of living , almost everywhere you feel you are not alone ,
almost alot of tourst say oh you are too different and say in their mind it is hard to live here , but when return to their home , they miss all this , hehehe i found people came here for more than 5 times just for visiting

Posts: 248 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi mark glad to see you are back with us

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey mark the next time i go back it will be the 5th time. you are so right, hell i might just stay the next time. where have you been? havent seen you for a while
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark2006
Member # 11594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mark2006     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yorkshire Hi , thanx very much me too glad to back here again.

Micky Hi, How are you? yes i disapeared for a while because of my new job that didnt let me even talk to myself, but i missed this forum alot and i am back again

Posts: 248 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People's kindness and having time for you.
For example if you are buying something in the shops they are so helpful, have time to talk, offer you tea, makes the whole experience very pleasant.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
so hows the new job coming?
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sitting outside a coffee shop watcing the world go by.... can often take hours.. until you've seen the whole town pass by!!!
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurghada man
Member # 11124

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurghada man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by loveegypt:
I want to ask you all what do you like the most in Egypt. What does make you live there or keep visiting ? Is there anything soo special that you wouldn't find anywhere else?

I guess Egyptian people are the real treasure of Egypt. they are warm, nice and themselves.

not all of them are the same , but i guess that the most beautiful thing in Eypt is the people.

xxx

Posts: 520 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*bump*
Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kind people, if something happens to you or you need help people come running to assist you...I've never experienced that before in my own country.
I love the way people here love babies and really see the innocence and sweetness in them.
I love how people here are so quick to make you feel included when you are an outsider, holding your hand and walking you through things, never excluding you and always happy to see you with a big smile. [Smile]

I love how sweet some of the Egyptian women are, they're really kind and quick to help out or give information, really kind and gentle. Egyptian women can be SOOO affectionate and close once you get to know each other and there are three I can think of off hand right now who would be on my doorstep in a heartbeat if I got sick to clean, cook, help with the baby, do shopping, etc. These women have taught me a lot about friendship and kindness!

I love how the men here are generally so committed to their families and taking care of them.
I love how easily the people laugh in Egypt, their sense of humor is UNMATCHED and I've seen some who have nothing still smiling and joking and really living their life. I've never felt more humble or embarrassed for my OWN upbringing than when I visited some places/people in Egypt. You haven't lived until you've experienced it. We have a lot to learn from Egyptians, all of them. [Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooohh smucky I have to agree with every single word there, that was lovely!

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
queenie
Member # 14221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for queenie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Egyptain men always telling my husband ' you lucky lucky man ' I know they say that to all the girls but still makes you feel good and hubby proud to have you on his arm.

--------------------
www.sierraresortnabq.co.uk

Posts: 124 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by queenie:
The Egyptain men always telling my husband ' you lucky lucky man ' I know they say that to all the girls but still makes you feel good and hubby proud to have you on his arm.

I'm amazed that any tourists fall for this disrespectful crap. My husband has a great way of firmly dealing with men who say, 'lucky man.' It would be unacceptable for him to speak about the wife of an Egyptian stranger this way. Why should he tolerate men commenting on us, as we walk past? [Mad]
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smuckers: ''I love how sweet some of the Egyptian women are, they're really kind and quick to help out or give information, really kind and gentle. Egyptian women can be SOOO affectionate and close once you get to know each other and there are three I can think of off hand right now who would be on my doorstep in a heartbeat if I got sick to clean, cook, help with the baby, do shopping, etc. These women have taught me a lot about friendship and kindness!''

I agree with this, but have seen it only from a traveller's perspective. The Egyptian women I've met have been incredibly kind and warm. Some have become friends and their generosity never fails to touch me.

Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
quote:

I'm amazed that any tourists fall for this disrespectful crap. My husband has a great way of firmly dealing with men who say, 'lucky man.' It would be unacceptable for him to speak about the wife of an Egyptian stranger this way. Why should he tolerate men commenting on us, as we walk past? [Mad]
Agreed, in Egypt it is disrespectful...and they might be thinking of you as his meal ticket and not the way you look or anything. [Frown]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Smuckers, it's often (unwisely) used as a sales technique - but it happens outside that too. Women from 16 to 96 are hailed as objects of beauty ( [Razz] clearly often, tongue in cheek - but some tourists fall for it [Confused] )

Simply strolling down a street, away from market areas brings a similar response, from teenage boys to older men. I genuinely feel that it's done without really thinking it through. Maybe the smiling, unknowing response from some visitors encourages the belief that this is acceptable behaviour. [Frown] For this reason, I wish tourists would get a clue about Egyptian culture.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Well, we could add that to the list then, Egypt has the best smoozers. [Big Grin]
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, very disrespectful.

Most Egyptian men (the ones who actually respect their wives/fiancees) would put a world of hurtin' on a guy who commented publicly about their lady like that. On the other hand, dignified Egyptian men would never comment on another man's lady publicly. It's not the same as some Western guys who think it's a compliment when other men oogle their SO.

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
quote:

Agreed, in Egypt it is disrespectful...and they might be thinking of you as his meal ticket and not the way you look or anything. [Frown]

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unique atmosphere...
Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something unseen that makes me feel I belong there. I have felt it every single time i have been in egypt. When there i am completely at peace, whether it be sitting in the flat, walking along the streets, standing and viewing the nile, sitting in a cafe, just feels like home.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mysticheart:
Something unseen that makes me feel I belong there. I have felt it every single time i have been in egypt. When there i am completely at peace, whether it be sitting in the flat, walking along the streets, standing and viewing the nile, sitting in a cafe, just feels like home.

I used to get that feeling a lot when I first moved back to Egypt. Now it's not as frequent but I get it more in places I don't know. They seem familiar all the time.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HALPUSA
Member # 14411

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HALPUSA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband is Egyptian. I got married in Cairo, I am Greek and now we lived in Canada. Cairo was the best place to get married (but not to prepare the wedding, because of the slow motion!!!). The food, the ceremony in coptic church, the reception in the hotel, the dance and the bridal make over were the best of the best. I am with my husband 5 years and I feel very very lucky. He is my dream man. I like Egypt because you do not have to look at the time, because people are alive and smile all the time. Most of the people believe that everything will become better sooner or later and they have a positive way of thinking. I like that men are going after the women and play with them all the time, but don't like that women in Egypt are not free to express their ideas and thoughts and decide for their lifes. Many women are getting abused and they cannot do something against this.
The women in Egypt are very kind and helpful and friendly. No question for this.
I like that I can have my sugar waxing for a very good price. I like the people there because they want to talk and give time for that and they never say that they don't have time. They always have time for friends, relatives and children. I like that women give time to take care of their bodies, faces and hair. I like the colour of dessert. I like the Nile at night. I like to walk in the very small, poor streets that they have their own character and don't look all the same as the streets of Canada. I like shopping because you can find different things in the many small shops, talk with the owners and employees, and communicate daily with them. I like the Egyptian music. I hope I will come back soon.

Posts: 15 | From: canada | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korvin's
Member # 14099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korvin's     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The worst in Egypt, Crowd ...
Posts: 890 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com