EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Just got back from Alexandria :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just got back from Alexandria :(
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnona777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back home. I woke up at 5 am cause this is about the time I was being waken up by the merchants in the street. "BAKEYAAAAAAAA " (how ever you spell it)getting broadcasted over the loudspeaker.. with his donkey bells chiming away. People yelling out their produce.. Newpapers.. [Frown] I miss it already.

From our flat you could see the Mediterranean Sea. In the mornings I would go out and just sit on the Balconey and stare at the sea.. the people walking by.. the merchants..

The masjid was across the street so the adhan was clearly broadcasted [Smile] I miss the moan of the adhan cross the city everytime it was time for Prayer.

It is definitely my second home. *sigh*

Egypt has its pro's and con's. And I wish Mubarak would take better care of his people/ country. The trash and rubble everywhere sucks. I am a HUGE brat about littering. My husband has since learned NOT to just toss garbage out the window/ on the street.. As MOST egyptians seem to do

I went to a orphanage near Montanza. I am very thankful to have that experience. We saw a bunch of boys.. all around the ages of 7 to 4. We bought them boxes of Ho HO's, Twinkies, Chips, Juices... At first they politely said they didn't want anything.. but after a minute.. they had their hands full.. and Smiles filled with hoho's [Smile] After we left I started to cry.

The people in the states.. even the poor ones.. just don't realise how good they have it.

Posts: 431 | From: beantown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i fully agree that people in the states dont know how good they have it, spoiled lot we are.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magnona777:

And I wish Mubarak would take better care of his people/ country.

I second, third and fourth that!

I just returned from Cairo and every day while out and about, the same thought would come to my mind. I think people were probably getting fed up with me asking "Is Mubarak blind?!" [Frown]

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I just got back home. I woke up at 5 am cause this is about the time I was being waken up by the merchants in the street. "BAKEYAAAAAAAA " (how ever you spell it)getting broadcasted over the loudspeaker.. with his donkey bells chiming away. People yelling out their produce.. Newpapers.. [Frown] I miss it already.

From our flat you could see the Mediterranean Sea. In the mornings I would go out and just sit on the Balconey and stare at the sea.. the people walking by.. the merchants..

The masjid was across the street so the adhan was clearly broadcasted [Smile] I miss the moan of the adhan cross the city everytime it was time for Prayer.

It is definitely my second home. *sigh*

Egypt has its pro's and con's. And I wish Mubarak would take better care of his people/ country. The trash and rubble everywhere sucks. I am a HUGE brat about littering. My husband has since learned NOT to just toss garbage out the window/ on the street.. As MOST egyptians seem to do

I went to a orphanage near Montanza. I am very thankful to have that experience. We saw a bunch of boys.. all around the ages of 7 to 4. We bought them boxes of Ho HO's, Twinkies, Chips, Juices... At first they politely said they didn't want anything.. but after a minute.. they had their hands full.. and Smiles filled with hoho's [Smile] After we left I started to cry.

The people in the states.. even the poor ones.. just don't realise how good they have it.

I hear you on that one.
Glad to hear you had a nice time though, it's always nice to 'get away' [Wink]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnona777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NotSleeplessInCairo:
quote:

And I wish Mubarak would take better care of his people/ country.

I second, third and fourth that!

I just returned from Cairo and every day while out and about, the same thought would come to my mind. I think people were probably getting fed up with me asking "Is Mubarak blind?!" [Frown]

EXACTLY..
My DH and me would talk alot about this.. Even when we were at the pyramids.. the Tourist pay alot of money to get in.. you would think they could hire Someone to walk around and Pick up the trash???!!! the pyramids are SOOO well known around the world.. but the government just doesnt give a crap. Its sad. And even the Trash around the beaches and the street... my H was telling me how other countries have tried to come in and take care of the Trash.. France maybe?? and he said for a few years things got nice.. but then the Government stopped everything.. and everything became a dump again [Frown]

Posts: 431 | From: beantown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all the government really needs to do is provide more trash containers (and regular trash pick up), it's the people who need to take the rest of the responsibility. I'm not saying they're irresponsible, just that habit is like a virus.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only know a little about the trash situation, but it's a little more complicated than that. The Egy government tendered this service and the Italians won (??)... this took away the business from the local "Zabaleen" who had made trash their business. They collected, sorted, cleaned and recycled what they collected. Environmentally friendly and probably better than any foreign profit making company could do. In addition the trash collection service was added to electricity bills which many people refused to pay seeing as it was free before this. I have no idea what has happened since then, but obviously not a lot! [Frown]
Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I'm talking about the people who toss trash on the street openly, instead of finding a bin for it. I see it left and right.
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Yeah.. I did too. It is SO upsetting. Egyptians love their country BUT treat it like trash. I try to make my husband and other people understand thing when we walk around and see Garbage laying all over the street.. and I'll say to them " you like it like this?" and this is how you love your country? bla bla bla..
Who knows.. It is a wonderful country but it need alot of work [Frown] And if the President cant' step up and do things Good for the country... Then the People have to... or better yet.. the both together

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
amen magnoona. welcome back [Smile] i missed ya
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Micky.. How did YOUR trip go??? I hope you had a great time inshallah.
Âutomatic For The People
Member # 12634

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Âutomatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My husband has since learned NOT to just toss garbage out the window/ on the street.. As MOST egyptians seem to do

Execuse me!
Posts: 465 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My husband has since learned NOT to just toss garbage out the window/ on the street.. As MOST egyptians seem to do

You need to meet different "types" of Egyptians before making up your mind abut their behaviour as a whole bunch.
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had a wonderful time thank you [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TAREK307
Member # 7838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TAREK307   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
quote:

You need to meet different "types" of Egyptians before making up your mind abut their behaviour as a whole bunch.
90% will toss their trash in the street! because they are sensless and dirty!!! and just wanna blame the goverment for everthing!

Thank you! start the insults..lol

Posts: 511 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TAREK307:
90% will toss their trash in the street! because they are sensless and dirty!!! and just wanna blame the goverment for everthing!

Thank you! start the insults..lol

And that makes you senseless and dirty by default.

You're welcome.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cairo produces 10,000 tonnes of rubbish each day, 4,000 tonnes of which is not collected or managed.

[Eek!]

Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

I have a great/ positive outlook on Egyptian people.. But from my observations.. Nobody thought twice to just throwing their wrapper, bottle, tissue.. etc onto the street. Ranging from Kids to Older people
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
tarek i love your myspace page. very nice pictures and videos
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
I have a great/ positive outlook on Egyptian people.. But from my observations.. Nobody thought twice to just throwing their wrapper, bottle, tissue.. etc onto the street. Ranging from Kids to Older people

I know Mag, and because you are a civilized person who is not senseless and dirty by default, I would like to brainstorm with you why people might be doing that:

1- They are frustrated and have no hope. They are indifferent about everything and everybody. Which is part of a general wave of depression, both economically and psychologically.
2- They have no good role models.
3- They are not being rewarded or punished for their good/bad behavior.
4- There are no garbage cans, and garbage does not get collected, so why bother gather it somewhere, according to their comprehension.
5- They are too stoned and absent minded by the lead and mercury and other toxic substances blocking their synapses. They cannot think clearly anymore to distinguish right from wrong.

I consider 90% of the Egyptians dead people walking.

Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps they should copy the Brits

Now councils install spy cameras at rubbish tips

Householders could be charged for rubbish by weight

Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undercover
Member # 12979

Mother prosecuted for the wrong type of rubbish
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

I know Mag, and because you are a civilized person who is not senseless and dirty by default, I would like to brainstorm with you why people might be doing that:

1- They are frustrated and have no hope. They are indifferent about everything and everybody. Which is part of a general wave of depression, both economically and psychologically.
4- There are no garbage cans, and garbage does not get collected, so why bother gather it somewhere, according to their comprehension.
5- They are too stoned and absent minded by the lead and mercury and other toxic substances blocking their synapses. They cannot think clearly anymore to distinguish right from wrong.

Or maybe they are just bloody lazy [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
quote:
quote:

haha.. all of these seem to be valid points
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
quote:

LOL if I had to choose one for myself...hmmmm, I choose #5, can I choose #5 ?? [Big Grin]

this goes back to what I said earlier, bad habits are like a virus. It's not something necessarily HORRIBLE about them, it's more of a bad habit, that's all.
I'll personally carry something 2 blocks to find a trash before throwing it on the street, but not everyone is the same.

Mirta
Member # 12422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mirta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hate this "Bakeyaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!",its like my alarm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mirta:
i hate this "Bakeyaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!",its like my alarm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahaa.. I got a kick out of it.. My husband on the other hand wanted to go down and wring his neck [Razz] I miss waking up and not hearing it [Frown]
I even took a pic of him lol.. [Razz]

Last Knight
Member # 9918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Last Knight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear All,

Why we limit the problem of Unsound / unhealthy day-to-day behavior to Egypt? I have traveled quite a lot and I saw it everywhere (may be except in Sweden and Denmark to be fair)

It all depends on which district you are talking about. In the states there are areas where Egypt is too neat to be campared to.

--------------------
Last Knight

Posts: 139 | From: Cairo | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:

It's easy to call people lazy.

You know, being chronically "lazy" has medical reasons. One could be having liver trouble without knowing.

Your comment reminded me of the terrible discrimination among medical professionals against the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients. Some doctors dismiss those patients as "lazy and spoilt".

You can be lazy for a day. But when you're lazy for life, then there's something pathologically wrong.

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

I'll personally carry something 2 blocks to find a trash before throwing it on the street, but not everyone is the same.

Hmm,

I don't remember seeing a trash bin every two blocks.

But then again the city provides the trash bins but unless their is a government building within 50 yards the neighbors must take that bins trash and add it to their own garbage bin or the trash won't get picked up more than twice a month.

There are Coptic Zebagalwahs (damn it I forget the term for these people) who go into Shebin twice a week to collect trash. Then the neighbors will pay these people to pick up the muncipal trash from the bins.

At least the town isn't burning trash 2-3 a week within city limits any more. And burning trash along the canal is rare these days because the police will cite the offender which can be a heavy fine.

I think after the water treatment system was overhauled trash collection and disposal became a heated debate. People are even encouraged by the city to not litter in front of their homes any more. You can literally hear children and wives scretching at dad or grandpa when the dude tosses the litter out the window.

I had a complete shitfit about this the first time I was in Egypt and my in-laws made sure I understood the complete change in how waste management was handled. But still overhauls are implemented but not maintained. Money was spent to put in modern trash bins, but not to collect the trash.

My daughter does occasionally toss her litter. But then you see my eldest niece pick it up and scold her for it. The little nightinggale turns to me and beams because she knows it makes Aunty happy to see children/people take an interest in such things. [Smile]

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

a man comes up our street every sat, mon and wed to collect the trash, he is supposed to travel up all flights of stairs and collect our trash we leave on the stairs that morning, but he often only goes up one or two flights and then goes to the next building. there are a couple of really large trash bins fairly close to us, although they are often overflowing and when the people with the huge truck do come to collect it seems like brain surgery or something. also they have those big black swaying metal-like trash bins up and down the canal, but getting one open (as a woman) is difficult and those are also usually overflowing. I see how they make an effort to give people the places to place trash, just wish they could stick to the pickup schedule, nothing is organized. [Confused]
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
a man comes up our street every sat, mon and wed to collect the trash, he is supposed to travel up all flights of stairs and collect our trash we leave on the stairs that morning, but he often only goes up one or two flights and then goes to the next building. there are a couple of really large trash bins fairly close to us, although they are often overflowing and when the people with the huge truck do come to collect it seems like brain surgery or something. also they have those big black swaying metal-like trash bins up and down the canal, but getting one open (as a woman) is difficult and those are also usually overflowing. I see how they make an effort to give people the places to place trash, just wish they could stick to the pickup schedule, nothing is organized. [Confused]

Odd the trash collector for our street won't go past the front door. All the neighbors down the street even if there is a seperate family on each level bring their trash down to the front door for pick up.

And I don't remember the trash bins you are describing, I remember the dark green plastic bins that are made in such a manner so they can be picked up by machanical arm on a garbage truck and just pour the contents into the garbage truck. Remarkably the same system here in Minneapolis.

But there is a scedule for trash collection of public trash bins. Twice a month and once a week for municipal buildings.

Because the alleys are so narrow no garbage truck can get through so either that Coptic family goes through with a donkey cart or a young man from the city municipal trash runs up the street and collects the bags. Most people in Shebin use those plastic shopping bags for trash, not what we use here in the USA in which every house has a gigantic trash bin.

Sorry smucks still not buying what you are selling.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

It's easy to call people lazy.

You know, being chronically "lazy" has medical reasons. One could be having liver trouble without knowing.

Your comment reminded me of the terrible discrimination among medical professionals against the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients. Some doctors dismiss those patients as "lazy and spoilt".

You can be lazy for a day. But when you're lazy for life, then there's something pathologically wrong.

Ok MK next time I watch a young man chuck a juice can out the car window because his mother does not want him drinking it inside their posh new car, and I happen to be standing right next to a rubbish bin, I will remind myself he is patholigically lazy and he can't possible help himself to get out the car and put it in the bin.

I call that making excuses for people, not discriminating against them.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
well the trash bins I saw along the shore ( Along the light posts) All seemed pretty empty. BUT there was plenty of trash on the beach and along the wall. The trash bins on the local streets were alway pretty full.. and the only people I saw going near them was the people at night sifting throught them to see what they can find
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
well the trash bins I saw along the shore ( Along the light posts) All seemed pretty empty. BUT there was plenty of trash on the beach and along the wall. The trash bins on the local streets were alway pretty full.. and the only people I saw going near them was the people at night sifting throught them to see what they can find

Walk along the corniche at 2-4am and you'll see the trash collectors empty the trash bins.

Personally I don't like to be up that late (or early) but its preferable for my in-laws.

local streets must be a responsibility of the local businesses, but the corniche is a tourist area and the city will pick up the tab for that.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Ok MK next time I watch a young man chuck a juice can out the car window because his mother does not want him drinking it inside their posh new car, and I happen to be standing right next to a rubbish bin, I will remind myself he is patholigically lazy and he can't possible help himself to get out the car and put it in the bin.

I call that making excuses for people, not discriminating against them.

Penny did you read my post about the possible causes for such behavior?

The example you gave would fall under lack of good role models and therefore lack of manners. Yes, many people lack manners in Egypt, like everywhere else, even if they blind people by their fancy cars and stone rings convincing others to be high class and educated and all.

In a similar situation, I would like to go and slap his mother on her face. So you're not alone.

I'm just trying to find some logic behind their behavior. I mean you can see top sporters who are definitely not lazy and still would throw litter out of the window.

And what pisses me off is that they look at you and wonder what's wrong with you when you object!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the litter issue, I would agree with MK on points 1,2 and 3.

The city of Alex has a contract with Onyx for garbage removal. They provide waste receptacles for all buildings. They service the whole city, and if you look at your electric bill, you will notice a separate charge for trash collection. There is daily service (usually in the late evening, early morning hours)

Of course this service is also abused by people who are constructing/adding on to buildings. They will collect all the neighboring waste receptacles and fill them with their concrete, etc.
Businesses are also notorious abusers of this service.

Businesses operating along the corniche (and on the beach) pay for this service through their license fees.

Just to clarify some misinformation stated here.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen to that. Dead ppl walking is a great way to describe it. Unfortunately it's true.

quote:
quote:

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com