EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » OT: Best Middle Eastern Country (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OT: Best Middle Eastern Country
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you could go to any country in the ME for a holiday which one would it be and why?

Please add any comments regarding the shopping potential also [Big Grin]

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dubai big time. Why? To get fascinated and shop till I drop.
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ITS LOVELY TO HAVE MONEY ...first then i let you know ...??
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:

I had a feeling Dubai would be an answer! Yeeeeessss! Hehehe [Big Grin]

What is there to do besides shopping? If anything. Also how many days would you need to shop? Do you have any suggestions for good hotels?

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

quote:
Originally posted by shahkerda:
ITS LOVELY TO HAVE MONEY ...first then i let you know ...??

Imagine you have money..... Then where would you go?
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First I would go to Dubai to see family, than I would head off to Syria. I love mountain scenery!
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NotSleeplessInCairo:
quote:

I had a feeling Dubai would be an answer! Yeeeeessss! Hehehe [Big Grin]

What is there to do besides shopping? If anything. Also how many days would you need to shop? Do you have any suggestions for good hotels?

Better ask what not to do in Dubai. You can even go skiing for God's sake!

We have a friend who's a Dutch DJ. He had never been to an Arab country and was thinking in black and white stereotypes, until he went to Dubai for a gig. Moahahaahahahahahaha!! He came back with his mouth wide open for about a month! He got picked up at the door of the plane with a 10-meter-long limousine that stayed under his command throughout his stay, and he was taken where he found a reservation waiting for him in a hotel-suite where he kept calling the reception and asking them if there was a mistake and if he really was the right person in the right place! [Big Grin]

Anyway, I have not yet been there since it became such a heaven on earth, but I know so many people who loved being there. I have two German in-laws who vacation in Dubai on regular basis. One is playboy in his fifties and he goes there to meet ladies of all nationalities [Big Grin] , and another is a diplomat's wife currently based in the ME and loves to fly to Dubai with her daughter for shopping sprees. Taxes do not exist there, so you can imagine how cheap everything should be in comparison to Europe. From designer clothes and shoes of all brands to gold and precious stones.

Anyway, Dubai is very small, but it's packed with things to do. I would give it at least a week if I'm visiting. Two weeks if you can afford the time. And a lifetime if you meet a hot shaikh [Cool] .

Have a look:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g295424-Activities-Dubai.html

http://www.dubaicityguide.com/tourism/attractions.asp

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL@hot Shaikh! Yes, most definitely the way to go! haha [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dubai is a wonderland.
I could not decide if I liked it or not.
I was there for a business trip last May
Everything was so facinating and unbelivable.
I had a look at the ski place(a good size one) also it was really crazy and now they are making even one bigger one
But I could not find many real things there.
But it is place I still would like to go to for holidays at least once.
For 20 years ago there was hardly anything and now the most imaginable buildings in the world.
Everything new and shiny.
Hotels so glamourous and the only 7star hotel in the world.
One thing I didn't like was how the workers from Pakistan and other Asian and African countries were treated , I mean now the cleaners and construction workers and even the taxi drivers

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
First I would go to Dubai to see family, than I would head off to Syria. I love mountain scenery!

You and MK are definitely on my wave length [Big Grin] It's Dubai and Syria which are both on my list. I have heard so many good things about Syria that I'm itching to visit - added to the fact that I love Syrian people (one's I've met anyway).

I think I'm going to choose Dubai and then Syria can be done as part of a work trip (with pleasure mixed in) on the charge of my company [Big Grin]

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
^^ OMG I was going to say Syria too [Eek!]

But I excluded it together with Lebanon only because of the current political tension.

Who wants to go on holiday and come back missing a butt cheek.

Although this doesn't sound like a bad idea with my current body-image.

NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

quote:

Better ask what not to do in Dubai. You can even go skiing for God's sake!

[Eek!]

I think I heard a funny story about this. Did the ice/skiing place in Cairo move to Dubai? [Big Grin]

quote:
We have a friend who's a Dutch DJ. He had never been to an Arab country and was thinking in black and white stereotypes, until he went to Dubai for a gig. Moahahaahahahahahaha!! He came back with his mouth wide open for about a month! He got picked up at the door of the plane with a 10-meter-long limousine that stayed under his command throughout his stay, and he was taken where he found a reservation waiting for him in a hotel-suite where he kept calling the reception and asking them if there was a mistake and if he really was the right person in the right place! [Big Grin]

Anyway, I have not yet been there since it became such a heaven on earth, but I know so many people who loved being there. I have two German in-laws who vacation in Dubai on regular basis. One is playboy in his fifties and he goes there to meet ladies of all nationalities [Big Grin] , and another is a diplomat's wife currently based in the ME and loves to fly to Dubai with her daughter for shopping sprees. Taxes do not exist there, so you can imagine how cheap everything should be in comparison to Europe. From designer clothes and shoes of all brands to gold and precious stones.

Anyway, Dubai is very small, but it's packed with things to do. I would give it at least a week if I'm visiting. Two weeks if you can afford the time. And a lifetime if you meet a hot shaikh [Cool] .

Have a look:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g295424-Activities-Dubai.html

http://www.dubaicityguide.com/tourism/attractions.asp

Hot Sheikh... hmmm [Cool]

I'm convinced MK.... I don't suppose I'll be able to afford limo and suite status but I'll give the shopping my best shot [Big Grin]

NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

quote:
^^ OMG I was going to say Syria too [Eek!]

But I excluded it together with Lebanon only because of the current political tension.

Who wants to go on holiday and come back missing a butt cheek.

Although this doesn't sound like a bad idea with my current body-image.

ROFL yeah one less butt cheek might be a blessing [Big Grin] For me... not you [Razz]
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

quote:
Originally posted by Mimmi:
Dubai is a wonderland.
I could not decide if I liked it or not.
I was there for a business trip last May
Everything was so facinating and unbelivable.
I had a look at the ski place(a good size one) also it was really crazy and now they are making even one bigger one
But I could not find many real things there.
But it is place I still would like to go to for holidays at least once.
For 20 years ago there was hardly anything and now the most imaginable buildings in the world.
Everything new and shiny.
Hotels so glamourous and the only 7star hotel in the world.
One thing I didn't like was how the workers from Pakistan and other Asian and African countries were treated , I mean now the cleaners and construction workers and even the taxi drivers

I guess that's what happens when a country has more money than people [Roll Eyes]

I can imagine what it's like with the foreign workers, but I'm sure they are getting their benefits too and biding their time to make money and success. I've heard that in one gulf country the people are starting to take on some traditions of the Indian/pakistani culture because of the high presence there. Asians seem to be good at making the most of the little they have. They're probably the most successful group from UK's immigrants.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Hot Sheikh... hmmm [Cool]

I'm convinced MK.... I don't suppose I'll be able to afford limo and suite status but I'll give the shopping my best shot [Big Grin]

Oh yeah you can. All you need is to get married to a hot shaikh. A Kuwaiti friend of mine got married to a Kuwaiti prince, and her dowry was 1 million Kuwaiti Dinars (That's 3,460,352 US Dollars) [And that was 15 years ago].

She would give her sister 10 Dinars and tell her to go get her a glass of water! I even have a picture of her and me and other friends swimming in the money on her bed [Big Grin]

I heard that Lebanese chicks go to Dubai to nail down the hot shaikhs. It's one big silicone valley out here.

((( [Razz] Y [Razz] )))

Ya lahwi!

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/47/City_of_Dubai.html
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dubai certainly has great shopping, hotels, sunshine and a whole lot of glitz. It also lacks soul, to me -although the desert is beautiful. There is lots to do but I don't love it the way I love Egypt. Dubai is a great short stay destination but countries like Jordan or Oman appeal to me more.
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Last Knight
Member # 9918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Last Knight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can specify what kind of a visit you are looking for I can answer, are you more in shopping, beaches resorts, monumental locations, or night life? it varies big time according to your interest

--------------------
Last Knight

Posts: 139 | From: Cairo | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
used to live in dubai not what it used to be was a nice place they built to much prices through the roof cost of living up by 45% property prices fell last year dubai depends solely on imported labour only move 2 miles out of the place and its a sh.t hole .people are very friendly yes great place to shop and eat and beaches,, i will stick with sharm any day just as good hotels and places to eat and all the shops and bars are in one place not ,one place there and another a mile down the road and it takes 2 hours just to drive through the place, 24 hourd traffic and i mean traffic its another india, then 90% come from thier great people but iam not one for sitting in traffic all day
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

quote:

I heard that Lebanese chicks go to Dubai to nail down the hot shaikhs. It's one big silicone valley out here.

((( [Razz] Y [Razz] )))

Silicone... yeah I see what you mean [Razz] [Big Grin] That's an idea for a tattoo ROFL
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
Dubai certainly has great shopping, hotels, sunshine and a whole lot of glitz. It also lacks soul, to me -although the desert is beautiful. There is lots to do but I don't love it the way I love Egypt. Dubai is a great short stay destination but countries like Jordan or Oman appeal to me more.

I don't think I'll ever feel for a place the way I do Egypt....

I know Jordan has culture, but what does Oman have? I've never considered Oman as a destination to visit. I think Yemen, Lebanon, Palestine and Iran would also be good places for culture (other than the obvious security problems!).

NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

quote:
Originally posted by Last Knight:
If you can specify what kind of a visit you are looking for I can answer, are you more in shopping, beaches resorts, monumental locations, or night life? it varies big time according to your interest

Beaches and night life no.. I wouldn't imagine the Middle East has anything special for those interests. I could be wrong.

I prefer shopping and if culture, arts and history are available then that's a bonus. Sounds kind of bad sa7 .... I just have a serious illness for shopping... even in the worst places I can find something to buy [Frown]

Give a summary of each country if you can with it's good and bad points - that would be good for me and anyone else interested [Smile]

NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

quote:
Originally posted by mac0623:
used to live in dubai not what it used to be was a nice place they built to much prices through the roof cost of living up by 45% property prices fell last year dubai depends solely on imported labour only move 2 miles out of the place and its a sh.t hole .people are very friendly yes great place to shop and eat and beaches,, i will stick with sharm any day just as good hotels and places to eat and all the shops and bars are in one place not ,one place there and another a mile down the road and it takes 2 hours just to drive through the place, 24 hourd traffic and i mean traffic its another india, then 90% come from thier great people but iam not one for sitting in traffic all day

I've never been to Sharm and I have a feeling I wouldn't like it much ... Maybe I'll try it one day but there are many other Egyptian towns I would like to visit first.

Are Sharm and Dubai really comparable?

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to visit Lebanon, Palestine, Iran and even Iraq, when it becomes safe to do so. All appeal greatly to me, from a cultural perspective. Oman has great old cities, scenic contrasts, unspoilt beaches, diving and some lovely hotels. Egypt is exceptional though and tends to make an impact on visitors hearts. I agree that it is incredibly special.
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Beaches and night life no.. I wouldn't imagine the Middle East has anything special for those interests. I could be wrong.

I prefer shopping and if culture, arts and history are available then that's a bonus. Sounds kind of bad sa7 .... I just have a serious illness for shopping... even in the worst places I can find something to buy [Frown]

[Confused]

Do I have two accounts?!!! Are you my lost e-twin?!!

I used to like beaches and nightlife though, but suddenly not anymore!

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually liked Abu Dhabi more, but if I had the money I have to say I would love to stay in the Burj al arab, just for the experience! Also want to visit Petra very much.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved Isreal
But Egypts my Fav, havent visited the other places yet

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
holidayed in Lebanon and Syria a couple of years ago - would love to go back - loved it!

Palestine/Israel - worked there for several years, also loved that (except the politics).

Would like to go to Iran, esp to see Persopolis etc and Shiraz

No desire to go to Dubai - but then I'm not all that keen on shopping.

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISTANBUL is the best...always....
History, shopping, nightlife, Bosphorus, it has everything. The only problem is its crowd and traffic

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yana
Member # 11508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Emirates and Egypt
Posts: 311 | From: Armenia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yorkshire rose:
I loved Isreal

r u a jew ya YR?
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Shehrazat:
ISTANBUL is the best...always....
History, shopping, nightlife, Bosphorus, it has everything. The only problem is its crowd and traffic

You guys make up your mind. Do you want to be Europe or do you want to be the Middle East? [Wink]

But I agree, Istanbul is great (for shopping too ya NSIC [Wink] )

DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't have to be Jewish to visit! I worked there from the age of 18 - 26 and I'm not Jewish.
Admittedly, I was very naive back then - I left the UK without knowing anything about ME history, wars etc - just went.

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Dawn, did you ever go to Jaffa while in Palestine?
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Yes, lots of times. (I didnt live far from there) Some beautiful old buildings, and another atmosphere altogether.
Laura
Member # 879

My husband's family is from there, he was born there.

*haih*

DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
does he miss it?
Ahmedo
Member # 12713

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahmedo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your husband palestinian?
Posts: 94 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Dawn, he was still a boy when all hell broke out there, and his mom and dad happened to be in Egypt visiting family at the time, they never returned. [Frown]

Does he miss it? OH MY GOD! Imagine what it is like to not be able to go to your own country.

Yes Ahmed, he is.

Ahmedo
Member # 12713

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahmedo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura, I'm sorry for that. [Frown]
Posts: 94 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MK, the only problem for us is being in between.. In some cases we are like Europeans and sometimes Middle Eastern. But personally I do prefer to be Middle Eastern
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Does he miss it? OH MY GOD! Imagine what it is like to not be able to go to your own country.

Not only that. Imagine yourself having been away on *holiday* and getting to hear that you can never return home because some "civilized" people took over your home, killed your family and changed the name of your country, and that your passport and ID aren't valid anymore.

NoneOfYour, are you reading this ya 7elw?

Laura
Member # 879

quote:
Originally posted by Ahmed online:
Laura, I'm sorry for that. [Frown]

Thanks Ahmed.

Insha'allah one day all Palestinians will have the "RIGHT OF RETURN". His family actively works on this.
Viva Palestine!

Laura
Member # 879

Don't want to turn this into a political thread, sorry.

Off to see the dentist again, laters!

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
MK, the only problem for us is being in between.. In some cases we are like Europeans and sometimes Middle Eastern. But personally I do prefer to be Middle Eastern

Shehrazat, your country's policies are like Rubik's Cube to me. I understand you would like to have the best of the two worlds, but I am amazed by the double standards. Veiled women cannot enter government buildings- a rule issued by your prime minister (or is it president?)- whose wife and daughters are veiled?! [Confused]

Your government violates human rights like they are still stuck in the guillotine era and still have the cheeks to claim they're eligible to join the EU?

How do you Turkish people feel about this government of yours?

'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

You are right Laura....... BUT MK,most probably you are from UK or USA, so we feel the same what you feel for your government(s) about the human rights.......
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think if you look at sharm and dubai, sharm has a lot to learn from dubai in the of getting it right first time,dubai is not well thought out in a lot of areas and has a sense of false well being, ok if you have the money,yes sharm anyday
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
BUT MK,most probably you are from UK or USA, so we feel the same what you feel for your government(s) about the human rights.......

Heehee, no Shehrazat I'm Egyptian and I hate all governments from east to west. [Wink]

But you didn't answer my question.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mac0623:
i think if you look at sharm and dubai, sharm has a lot to learn from dubai in the of getting it right first time,dubai is not well thought out in a lot of areas and has a sense of false well being, ok if you have the money,yes sharm anyday

NSIC loves shopping and hates beaches and nightlife.

So according to her criteria, Sharm should feel like a boot camp.

Go deliver in the States Sm.. errrr.. I mean go vacation in Dubai, NSCI!

VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dubai is the world's money laundering capital.

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com