EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » exporting my cat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: exporting my cat
sally
Member # 956

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After 5 years in cairo, its finally time to move on. My biggest issue is about exporting my cat.
Does anyone know any companies here that deal with the export of pets?
I'm going to Dubai and from that end its fine - its just here (of course).
Any info will be greatly appreciated.
I'm in the Dokki area

Posts: 129 | From: cairo | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Sally,

I am sure Dubai are still not accepting pets from Egypt!

They have very strict Rabies control issues.

I will make a call and post back.

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay,am told it is very unlikey Dubai will take pets from Egypt as see this link re Rabies..

http://www.petdubai.com/petrules.htm

I use this company for import and export,they are very good.

Quick Cargo
5,Tehran ST.Dokki

Give them a call. Good luck.

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sally
Member # 956

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks so much for the info - i will check out quick cargo.
as for whether there are issues about taking a pet from cairo to dubai, I am trying to find this info out from the pet boarding place in dubai.

thanks again

Posts: 129 | From: cairo | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sally
Member # 956

Rate Member
I checked with my import company in Dubai and they said that as long as all the cats jabs/microchip etc were up to date and i had the relevant paperwork, then it was fine.
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what a hassle!

I brought my egyptian cat back to Canada and all I had to do was to get a rabbies shot and certificate. I took him with me in the cabin with my hand luggage.

--------------------
"Whashing One's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral" -Freire-

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korven.
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korven.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People can put it on CD's ...
Posts: 1167 | From: Homelandless | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buck Naked
Member # 13323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buck Naked     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will like Dubai, and so will your cat.
Posts: 135 | From: I leave you with your misery, a friend who won't betray! | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn_22
Member # 13255

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn_22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you have to pay extra carry on luggage something like 150.00 us dollars
Posts: 52 | From: American | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how can i bring a cairo cat to the US? Is it allowed?

--------------------
Disclaimer: My posts are not meant to personally offend anyone. If you find yourself reading my posts repeatedly, you are kindly asked to seek the help of a professional [Smile]

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
h4ck3r
Member # 1605

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for h4ck3r   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the best will be Lufthansa Cargo Cairo

0101703894 you cat may go to Frankfurt first though

good luck!

--------------------
emta hanerg3 zai zamaan..
ul lil zamaan erg3 ya zamaaaaaan.

Posts: 144 | From: egypt | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cairobug:

Have you applied for its Visa yet? [Confused]
I hope you are not planning on taking it without its American Embassy Visa Interview first, I hear those can be rough... [Wink]
Good luck.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sally:
I checked with my import company in Dubai and they said that as long as all the cats jabs/microchip etc were up to date and i had the relevant paperwork, then it was fine.

Sally, did they tell exactly what kind of paperwork that is?

If Dubai is as strict at Great Britain you need to worry and start the paperwork well months before you want to travel with your pet.

Really you need to get checked out the specific requirements.

Even to bring now a pet to the Europe Union from a third world country is more difficult than you think.

Good luck and I hope you both enjoy the stay in Dubai. I am sure the cat needs the a/c even more there! [Wink]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
quote:
Originally posted by cairobug:

Have you applied for its Visa yet? [Confused]
I hope you are not planning on taking it without its American Embassy Visa Interview first, I hear those can be rough... [Wink]
Good luck.

haha smuckers, very cute [Big Grin]
Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solvig
Member # 7647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for solvig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask your local vet they know exactly what to do.
I want to return to the uk and take my dog with me however I must wait 6 months for blood result or quarrantie my dog at arrival in the uk for 6 months.
Also, the embassies are aware of these requirments.

--------------------
solvig krause

Posts: 21 | From: United kingdom | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11766

quote:
Originally posted by solvig:
Ask your local vet they know exactly what to do.
I want to return to the uk and take my dog with me however I must wait 6 months for blood result or quarrantie my dog at arrival in the uk for 6 months.
Also, the embassies are aware of these requirments.

Your dog will have to do the 6 months quaranteen in UK no matter what. It is hell for pets and can be very costly.

Airpets in heathrow is one of the better places.
http://airpets.com/

Member # 11766

P.S. We are battling for a 3 month quaranteen period as there is no need for the current 6 as rabies can easy be detected in a much lesser time.

It will likely take a long time to pass this though...

Member # 11766

quote:

Hey Sally,

Be careful here!

Check with all - airline,export here,country regulations and Dubai customs.

I know 3 companies here say it is a no go.Remember often pets are excepted by airlines and import companies to arrive and then customs will not allow them through..many are destroyed.

I no of no one who has done this either.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sally, I found another informative website in regards to import of pets to Dubai.

http://www.vet-hosp.com/importing.htm

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11766

When Dubai hear Egypt,it is a whole new ball game.

Please let us know how you get on Sally.

If entrance to Dubai was so easy we would save so much money with our exports.

Good luck.

sally
Member # 956

Rate Member
so here's the latest:

To get my cat out of Egypt I have to:

a. Get her microchipped
b. Get all jabs upto date
c. Supply the cargo office at cairo airport with copies of my residence visa in dubai, cat's health certificate, my passport and cat's jab certificate

I spoke with a man at the cargo area at Cairo airport and he was amazingly helpful - very good english - I will meet him before she flies just to double check everything.

To get her into Dubai I have provided the pet import company :

a. Copy of my passport
b. Copy of my cat's Vaccination Card/Certificate
c. Proof that my cat is micro chipped - chip number
d. Government signed health certificate
e. My home address details
f. Payment
g. Admission form
h. Import form
i. Airway Bill number
j. Authorisation of Clearance form
k. Location Map of my apartment.
l. Flight arrival information

if it all goes ok - i will post all the information and contact details here for future use.

both the contact in dubai and at cairo airport had no issue about the cat going from here to dubai - the company in dubai double checked everything for me.

i will also double check with dubai customs just incase.

thanks for everyones comments, ideas and suggestions

sally
Member # 956

Rate Member
Well my cat has finally made it from Cairo to Dubai.
I'd like to say it was painless and hassle free but you'd all know that I was lying.

So heres the info.

1. Get the cat injected with rabies antivirus plus the triple jab against feline rhinotracheitis, callcivirus & panleukopnia. (commercial names - Tri-Cat, Feligen, Feval5 or Fel-O-Vax).
You have to wait a minimum of 1 month after the rabies jab and then have a blood test performed to ensure the level of antibodies against rabies is high enough.
This is a new ruling from the UAE and totally threw a spanner in my works.
The results take around 5-6 weeks to come back (as they have to be sent to the UK for testing).
Once all these results are back, the animal has to receive a health certificate from an approved vet and then you get the health certificate attested by the ministry of agriculture (based near the shooting club in dokki).

Get all the import permits from destination country - double check that you have everything. You don't want your animal getting stuck at quarantine.

the animal is then ready to travel

Sounds easy - ha!.

The vet I used here was Dr. Rafik Nashed who was brilliant as were his assstants who although didn't speak english, dealt with my cat in such a great way.

Rafiks number is 012 736 2402
His clinic is at 7 Shafik Mansour St in Zamalek - its close to beanos cafe.
his hours are 11am-3pm and 6pm to 10pm - its good to call before hand to check he is there. Or turn up during the middle of these timings to be assured he is there.
Sundays are off

The company I dealt with in Dubai were also brilliant - www.dkc.ae
they sorted all the import permits etc.
i totally recommend them.

I used Emirates Cargo to transport my cat.
The guy at Cairo airport was called Mohamed Khaili and he was also excellent.
He had to check the documents in advance just to make sure my cat have everything to allow her to enter the country.

As I said it wasn't an easy task to sort all this.
I think going from one crazy country to another equally crazy country didn't help - but it can be done.

I would advise getting help from a friendly egyptian if possible when dealing with the ministry - other than that, everyone spoke very good english (shame on me and my bad arabic).

So now my cat is happily enjoying her new home and getting used to the lack of noise.

Good luck to anyone else who transports their pet - i understand your stress.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

1. Get the cat injected with rabies antivirus plus the triple jab against feline rhinotracheitis, callcivirus & panleukopnia. (commercial names - Tri-Cat, Feligen, Feval5 or Fel-O-Vax).
You have to wait a minimum of 1 month after the rabies jab and then have a blood test performed to ensure the level of antibodies against rabies is high enough.
This is a new ruling from the UAE and totally threw a spanner in my works.

Germany has the same kind of new ruling which is why it took me ages to take my cat out of the country ... just when I had finished everything they came up with that ruling about the waiting period.
[Mad]
It doesn't even make much sense imo because during that waiting period the cat could just as well catch something else. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalia (or anyone!)
have you bought your cat into Egypt - I am desparate to find out from someone somewhere EXACTLY what happens to pets coming IN to Cairo Airport (i.e. who takes them off the plane, where do they go, do they sit around on the tarmac in the boiling sun or are they treated well etc etc).
I have been leaving messages all over the internet to no avail!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DUBAI STRICT CONTROL ummmm so why doe all the flips has thier fighting cocks thier, i think not its the general area of movement what deems contol and its the middle east just get the jabs, the cat not u
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sally
Member # 956

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by oldbag:
Dalia (or anyone!)
have you bought your cat into Egypt - I am desparate to find out from someone somewhere EXACTLY what happens to pets coming IN to Cairo Airport (i.e. who takes them off the plane, where do they go, do they sit around on the tarmac in the boiling sun or are they treated well etc etc).

do you know which carrier you will use to bring your pet in?
they can usually tell you the answer.
from talking to other people, getting the animal in is a lot easier than getting them out.
where are you bringing your pet from?

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dalia (or anyone!)
have you bought your cat into Egypt

Bought? [Eek!] I got my cat in Egypt, but he was an orphan someone picked off the street. [Big Grin] Balady cats are great and so beautiful imo. [Wink]

quote:
I am desparate to find out from someone somewhere EXACTLY what happens to pets coming IN to Cairo Airport (i.e. who takes them off the plane, where do they go, do they sit around on the tarmac in the boiling sun or are they treated well etc etc).

I'm afraid I can't help you with this one. [Frown] I've only brought a cat out of Cairo Airport, and that was very hassle-free. The cat went into the passenger cabin anyway, so I didn't need to worry about cargo or handling or any of that ...
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com