EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Why is El-Limby so popular?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why is El-Limby so popular?
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *tigerman*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is El-Limby so popular?

Some of his fans simply love the druggy tonality of his speech; others just relish his crude attitude and the sneaky ways in which he resolves his conflicts. But the most distressing fact though about El-Limby is that a considerable percentage of Egypt's young men can easily empathize with him. El-Limby is not an entirely unique character after all; men who share similar personality traits with El-Limby populate Cairo's alleyways and other numerous parts of Egypt. In fact, many of Saad's fans claim that El-Limby accurately embodies the spirit of the modern Egyptian man. El-Limby, Okal, Booha, whichever name you choose to call him, is essentially a man of no skills, lacks initiative and ambitions and holds no appeal for any sensible person. His stupidity is legendary and the methods he employs to reach his inconsequential objectives, which are usually formed by unusual, illogical external circumstances, should be studied and gathered into a new textbook about life in modern Egypt.

http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=2618

Posts: 2691 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korven.
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korven.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to like him but a while ago I started to prefer Ahmed Helmy [Smile]
Posts: 1167 | From: Homelandless | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *tigerman*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Korven.:
I used to like him but a while ago I started to prefer Ahmed Helmy [Smile]

The idea is not whether you like the actor or not ..the idea is whether ElLimby character relates to the modern Egyptian man's behaviour. Do you find any kind of treats that you collaborate with him . Is he a real reflection to some of modern Egyptians or is it just farce comedy.
Posts: 2691 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amon alex
Member # 12246

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amon alex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it,s just a movie character .
egyptien people not at all like that.
[Wink]

Posts: 164 | From: Egypt | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by amon alex:
it,s just a movie character .
egyptien people not at all like that.
[Wink]

I'm sure that they are not a carbonaited copy of the movie character. But if you look at the comedy as a reflection to what really annoys people in real life (shar elbalia ma yod7ek) and study the differences between the male character during several decades, I think you will notice the change in characters based on the change in social life. I might be trolling anyway [Big Grin]

But

Do you still think so even if you put his speech impediment aside?

FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't comment on your comparisons and the reasons why he is poplular. I saw the movie, I don't speak Arabic, so I didn't understand a lot of what was being said, but the movie didn't appeal to me at all. It seemed silly and unrealistic and very low budget.
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The TalkingShadow OF TylerDurden
Member # 8430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The TalkingShadow OF TylerDurden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dunt like him,,,but he's popular cuz he's stupid in a unique way..
Posts: 74 | From: cairo | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GlobalOne
Member # 13363

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GlobalOne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The TalkingShadow OF TylerDurden:
i dunt like him,,,but he's popular cuz he's stupid in a unique way..

He is supposed to be stupid in a unique way and the audience are supposed to read between the lines.
Posts: 176 | From: Proud to be Egyptian | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com