EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Spitting in Egyptian culture

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spitting in Egyptian culture
need2know
Member # 13404

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for need2know     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the significance of spitting in Egyptian culture? I guess I am asking is this a normal or accepted or understood way of showing disgust or is it an extreme way? For instance if there was a heated argument between two Egyptians would the fact that one of them spit at or on the other have any great significance? Would a husband spit on his wife?

Thanks in advance for your information.

Posts: 1 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spitting, Sword fighting, women fist-fighting in the street?????

What is up with this Egypt?

Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by need2know:
What is the significance of spitting in Egyptian culture? I guess I am asking is this a normal or accepted or understood way of showing disgust or is it an extreme way? For instance if there was a heated argument between two Egyptians would the fact that one of them spit at or on the other have any great significance? Would a husband spit on his wife?

WAT IS THE SIGNIFICANE OF SHOOTING & CARRYING GUNS IN USA VIRGINIA COLLGE
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting topic indeed.

Here is how Islam sees spitting.

http://www.answering-islam.org/Index/S/spitting.html

And spitting in a mosque is considered a sin.

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=21538&dgn=4

When a person spits at another one I would always see this as an insult.

I am sure you will receive more feedback to this topic.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the significance of the 18 year old shurta carrying an ancient, held together with scotch tape, rifle or handgun when he has had not one lesson on how to use it? [Confused] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]
Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spitting is usually a sign of being done with someone for good. If your spouse spits on you, they hate you, plain and simple. Look for a lawyer [Razz]
Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karemo7
Member # 386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karemo7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

if one spit on you , he sneer you , or disgust from you. it's unpolite and unaccepted any way
Posts: 367 | From: cairo , egypt | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist:
Spitting, Sword fighting, women fist-fighting in the street?????

What is up with this Egypt?

[Big Grin] I also wish to know the meaning behind the shoes issues here. I hear women get angry at their kids and refer to them as 'shoes' or 'stinky shoes'...this is obviously some form of an insult. Hell, if you're calling me PRADA SHOES I'm happy [Big Grin] .
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Récif corallien:
What is the significance of the 18 year old shurta carrying an ancient, held together with scotch tape, rifle or handgun when he has had not one lesson on how to use it? [Confused] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Its called 'TOURIST POLICE' ..... or next years gigolo!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noon elmagnoon
Member # 13356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for noon elmagnoon         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Would a husband spit on his wife?

If he's psycho, sure.
Posts: 63 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Souri*
Member # 9095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Souri*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WAT IS THE SIGNIFICANE OF SHOOTING & CARRYING GUNS IN USA VIRGINIA COLLGE
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1182 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about just plain old spitting in the street? Like people in the rural USA often just spit (not at someone, does this happen in Egypt or would it be considered strange or impolite? Just curious.
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FairyDust:
What about just plain old spitting in the street? Like people in the rural USA often just spit (not at someone, does this happen in Egypt or would it be considered strange or impolite? Just curious.

I find it disgusting personally, I mean unless something flew into your mouth and you're desperately trying to get it out I see no point.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian999
Member # 13087

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian999   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
george bernard shaw visited egypt 1925 , in an interviewwith a paper , the reporter asked him( egypt was under britain then) sir when do u think egypt will get independance?!... bernard shaw took long breath and said : when egyptians learn to spit using handkerchief!!..... today in 2007 ... and im egyptian , im not ashamed to say yes it seems to be egyptian habit( i hate itttttttttt).... i wanna say something sad too ... i agree with alot of egyptian elite who think that in CIA plans there`s a thought about invading egypt within 10-15 years from now ...im seeing it myself ... but this is another story ,i think egypt will be great again , when egyptians listen to bernard shaw
Posts: 384 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When is spitting *ever* acceptable? [Confused] In any culture? Is there somewhere this is a greeting or sign of affection or something? [Razz]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
quote:
Originally posted by Récif corallien:

Its called 'TOURIST POLICE' ..... or next years gigolo!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
[Big Grin]
so it's obviously some form of promotion then?

Tourist Policeman
Tour Operator
Tourist Gigolo
Tourist wife's spouse
Egyptian property owner
Resident of USA/Europe
Citizen of USA/Europe
Wealthy divorced businessman

[Razz]

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian999
Member # 13087

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian999   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the day egypt gets rid off dictatorship , everythingwill be nice in egypt again ,the shurta guy is gigglo becz they pay him less than 50$ a month!!!, the dayegypt has democracy andfreedom , west will see the real great side of egypt , i always say as long as egypt under dictatorship everything is bad
Posts: 384 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin No More:
When is spitting *ever* acceptable? [Confused] In any culture? Is there somewhere this is a greeting or sign of affection or something? [Razz]

In some cultures and religions it's a normal thing to do; people spit because of superstitions, to keep the evil away or even for good luck.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. Which ones?
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valerie
Member # 6806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valerie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by egyptian999:
the day egypt gets rid off dictatorship , everythingwill be nice in egypt again ,the shurta guy is gigglo becz they pay him less than 50$ a month!!!, the dayegypt has democracy andfreedom , west will see the real great side of egypt , i always say as long as egypt under dictatorship everything is bad

So when you have a chance to vote...USE IT.....don't throw it away as so many did last election. Saying things won't change. NO THEY WON'T. If you just sit back and accept everything

USE YOUR VOTE

Posts: 290 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian999
Member # 13087

Rate Member
but it tells something about the health of egyptians too ,( highest rate of smoking nicotine in egypt in world) this another reason ,not the only ,but egyptians spit alot , in the country ,and in cairo , doesnt matter if they live in polluted place or where alot of nature , talking about culture , in more cultured areas in egypt ppl spit less ,where theres ignorance , egyptians compete who spit more than the other!!,but yes in culture too .. they take it as away to insult someone ,im not saying thatfrench or american doesnt spit , they do ofcourse lol , but to be neutral and honest i know yes egyptians spit alot in streets( and thro cars windows..and from balcony!! and in hospitals!! and in gardens!!!, but look ... egyptians dont spit on underground!! under the surface of earth , u knowwhy? becz hewill befined rt away , he will pay money ,mubarak made egyptians poor , and made them scared to practise their fav habit ( underground)...
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Muslim do it, the Jews do it ( http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/spitting.html ), I found something about the Greeks ( http://www.greekspider.com/superstitions/greek_superstitions9.htm )

Watch out Snoozin, it is customary for Greeks to spit towards someone if they pay them a compliment!

The Masai tribe in Africa spit upon one another as a greeting and farewell.

There is much more on the internet to find, really neat.

egyptian999
Member # 13087

Rate Member
voting wont change egypt , 2 things only will kik mubarak or his son out , a coup or invasion ... civil peaceful protestingwont change egypt .... i voted for ayman nour , mubarak put him in prison , mubarak puts any one against him in prison , let metell u this joke( a guy went tahrir square with mubarak picture and shouted ..spit on mubarak and pay 5 piastres , thousands paid and did!! and the guy made good money ,)
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin No More:

Did you ever see Ace Ventura when he visited the African Tribal Leader ? [Big Grin]
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Valerie:
quote:
Originally posted by egyptian999:

So when you have a chance to vote...USE IT.....don't throw it away as so many did last election. Saying things won't change. NO THEY WON'T. If you just sit back and accept everything

USE YOUR VOTE

LMAO [Big Grin]

Sorry I had to laugh at that. [Razz]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com