EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Alexandria question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alexandria question
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was writing to someone who owns a flat in Alexandria and when I asked if the flat has air conditioning this person responded by saying there is no need for a/c since it's right on the ocean and you get the fresh air.

Ok well yes it can be cooler on the ocean but is it really THAT much cooler that a/c is not needed in the summertime over there?

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think it depends on how high the flat is as to whether you get the sea breeze. We once stayed at Montazzah quite high up ( I think 8 floors) and in the middle of July it was fine without aircon
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korven.
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korven.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is the Mediterranean not the ocean.
Posts: 1167 | From: Homelandless | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is all relative to the person and what temperature they prefer. I had my balcony door open all night on the 11th floor hotel in Montazah right in front of the sea and this was in Dec/Jan. I don't think I would be comfortable there in the summer without a/c.
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a difference between a sea and an ocean in terms of how cool it gets? I know that's probably a stupid question but I live about a three minute walk from the Atlantic ocean and although it does get cool at night, in the daytime it's still wicked hot, and no matter day or night it's humid. I think we'll pass on this flat. lol
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need the air conditioner, this man is just trying to make a sale.
Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zaphirelee
Member # 11074

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zaphirelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I think you need an air conditioner in the summer. I did last fall. There is a breeze and it's cooler than Cairo. That said apartments often double their price in the summer and if it's close to the corniche for a good price it might be worth it. Just check out the neighbourhood some of my friends spent a terrible few days in a sea view apartment. I think it was in Miami Alexandria of course.
Posts: 153 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cresk
Member # 13445

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cresk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course you'll need A/C, specially that you will experience Alexandria's humidity, the apartment could be overlooking the sea but some rooms balconies might overlook the other direction which will be hot, besides if you are the kind of persons who cannot sleep with a single noise you would want to close the windows at night, that means an A/C is a must.
Posts: 20 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ít'll probably depend on the situation of the home. Of course it can be hot, it is Egypt after all, but Alexandrie is so much more comfortable then Cairo or the countryside for that matter.
We don't have AC in our appartment in Ibrahammeya and I don't miss it a bit. The only thing we do is close the shutters somewhat on one side of the building in the middle of the day to keep the sun out and we are fine.
Some newly build appartments can be terribly hot though if, for instance, they don't allow for windows to be opened almost to the ceiling, so you can have hot air staying above your head all summer. We can just open all windows in the afternoon and the wind will cool the home comfortably. A top appartment may be hot I guess if it has a flat roof (and no-one else or no animal lives on it to catch the heat for you!:-)

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com