EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » OT: How Britain's horses are being sent to France to be eaten

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: How Britain's horses are being sent to France to be eaten
Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bon Appetit: The French see this as food

"We produce all kinds of dishes with the meat, and it is hugely popular," says Otis Lebert, a chef who runs the bustling Taxi Jaune eaterie in Paris's Marais district. "It makes a much better steak than beef."

Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see the big deal - cow, bison, horse, goat... its all meat. There are certain types of animals that have a gross meat and shouldn't be eaten. But horse sounds like fair game to me.
By the way - I beleive all of America's horse meat is/was sent to France. Some state (I think Texas) just re-visited a ban from the 1940s that prevented horse slaughterhouses. Although the ban was on the books, it was overlooked for years, allowing for 2 big slaughterhouses to thrive. With the ban renewed they are now out of business. I think there is one other slaughterhouse in the states (maybe Oklahoma or some such state) - but France is missin' our horse meat! And people don't know what the heck to do with their old horses they used to get a few bucks for.
Incidentally, the only problem with horse meat is that they use old, sometimes sickly horses for the butchering, rather than use a nice new fresh horse. I wouldn't want to eat ANY animal that was not slaughtered in its prime. I think once they get old they should be harvested for their hides - if I had an old horse, I would make some boots and maybe a saddle or a wall hanging out of it. You know, make it of some use.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you are right Mi feng as meat is meat. I have to agree that it should be prime though, not old and sick or injured, and killed in a quick humane way.
Saying that I'm not sure I would buy it? Same as I wouldn't buy camel meat.

oh this is turning me VEGGIE!!!! [Razz]

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
murray-mint77
Member # 13080

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for murray-mint77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Horses remind me of my old dog xx [Frown] Same long face especially the brown ones [Wink]

Never could i eat 1 !!! [Roll Eyes]
But if someone served me horse meat in a meal without me knowing i'd be none the wiser and probably like it [Eek!] [Confused] [Eek!]

Posts: 634 | From: the Moon........... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com