EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egypt To Send 120,000 Women To Saudi As Maids

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egypt To Send 120,000 Women To Saudi As Maids
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt To Send 120,000 Women To Saudi As Maids

May 28, 2007 1:30 p.m. EST
Joseph S. Mayton - AHN Middle East Correspondent

Cairo, Egypt (AHN) - The Egyptian Minister of Labor, Aisha Abdel Hady, has signed an agreement with Saudi Arabia to send 120,000 young Egyptian women to work as maids. The signing has angered local dailies, who called the accord "a scandal" and "part of the Gulf's plan to humiliate Egypt."

A Saudi newspaper first published the news, which was then picked up by Egyptian newspapers last weekend.

"I am responsible for the protocol. I've signed it, which aims to organize the hire of Egyptian workers," Abdel Hady was quoted in the Egyptian daily Al Masry Al Youm on Monday as saying.

"The hire of the Egyptian workers will keep the dignity of the Egyptian worker abroad," the minister said on a local television show Sunday night.

Mostafa Bakry, editor-in-chief of Al Esbou' newspaper and Member of Parliament, has applied to question the minister of labor over the agreement with Saudi Arabia.

AHN's Manar Ammar contributed to this report in Cairo.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007474930

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good riddance ... maybe they'll allow us to get Filipino maids now
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess we can expect another 120,000 single Egyptian mothers in a few years [Frown]

Wow, I am cynical today.

Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graf_Genn:
I guess we can expect another 120,000 single Egyptian mothers in a few years [Frown]

Wow, I am cynical today.

with 120,000 bastards ... as if we don't have enough. Literally.
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korven.
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korven.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT DON'T THEY SEND THEM ALL, ONE BY ONE...
Posts: 1167 | From: Homelandless | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Wow, I am cynical today.

I agree. This translates to “120,000 young Egyptian women” being at the disposal of Saudis. Make what you want of it but sex, prostitution and rape will definitely come into play.

Which decent family would send their daughter to Saudia Arabia? Omar Al-Khatab (ra) said ‘if poverty was a man I would have slain him”

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just three months ago the same Egyptian Minister stated the following:

"...She told Arab News that Egypt has placed many restrictions on Egyptian women working abroad for their own safety. She said that Egyptian women are prohibited from working as maids abroad. However, they are allowed to work as doctors, nurses and teachers.....

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001187

Quite controversial, right?

Why would the minister agree to send her women to Saudi Arabia knowing how often women in these positions are getting mistreated, enslaved, sexually abused, raped????

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrAshraf
Member # 12894

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrAshraf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a totally disasterous plan.

Is there such a thing in Egypt as an honest reliable cleaner ? I am looking for someone for one day a week. Tried many Egyptians but they don't clean, and so far have had my tv, cooker and 2 windows broken. I have tried other nationalities, but the cleaning still doesn't get done and they charge a lot.

If anyone knows of a good cleaner, please PM me.

Posts: 77 | From: Cairo Egypt | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel male-cleaner coming around....
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for henita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
I feel male-cleaner coming around....

ROFL [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1339 | From: Om Leito | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karemo7
Member # 386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karemo7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
quote:

Wow, I am cynical today.

I agree. This translates to “120,000 young Egyptian women” being at the disposal of Saudis. Make what you want of it but sex, prostitution and rape will definitely come into play.

Which decent family would send their daughter to Saudia Arabia? Omar Al-Khatab (ra) said ‘if poverty was a man I would have slain him”

what wrong in this accord ?!!
there are many egyptian maids in gulf area special saudi arabia from many years ago ,no one care about maids before aesha ,this accord protect maids rights , this step in right way.

Posts: 367 | From: cairo , egypt | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,it may be better for those women to go and earn a living instead of lazing around jobless in cairo

--------------------
www.excitingegypt.co.uk

Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by karemo7:
quote:
quote:

Wow, I am cynical today.

there are many egyptian maids in gulf area special saudi arabia from many years ago ,no one care about maids before aesha ,this accord protect maids rights , this step in right way.

It is my opinion and after all Saudis are not exactly known for respecting the rights of foreigners. I believe they regard Egyptians as third class citizens in Saudia Arabia ..lol…I know, I know it’s not funny but that is the reality of the situation.

Protection is only in theory when corruption is an issue. How many times have Saudis paid their way out of prosecution? Many Saudis are conditioned to believe they are superior to Egyptians, Syrians, Moroccans, etc. This sick mentality emerged with their financial prosperity and the fact that many Saudis visit Egypt, Syria and Morocco and have their way their women.

Do you actually believe that Egyptian women will be afforded protection by Egyptian consulates in KSA?

I do hope i am wrong.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by karemo7:
quote:
quote:

Wow, I am cynical today.

It is my opinion and after all Saudis are not exactly known for respecting the rights of foreigners. I believe they regard Egyptians as third class citizens in Saudia Arabia ..lol…I know, I know it’s not funny but that is the reality of the situation.

Protection is only in theory when corruption is an issue. How many times have Saudis paid their way out of prosecution? Many Saudis are conditioned to believe they are superior to Egyptians, Syrians, Moroccans, etc. This sick mentality emerged with their financial prosperity and the fact that many Saudis visit Egypt, Syria and Morocco and have their way their women.

Do you actually believe that Egyptian women will be afforded protection by Egyptian consulates in KSA?

I do hope i am wrong.

I do agree with you ... for the most part.

Syrians, for example, are much more respected than Egyptians in the Gulf. The obvious reason being that Syrians are known to be both aggressive and proud.

So, what I am trying to say is that it isn't entirely the fault of the Saudis that Egyptians are mistreated in the Gulf ... part of the blame lies on the Egyptians themselves.

Naturally, it is easier to put the blame on others ... we Arabs have perfected this over the years.

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Wow, I am cynical today.

Which decent family would...
I have asked myself this more then once. The sad truth is that there are indeed enough families throwing all principles behind for the sake of money. Sending daughters to Saudia Arabia is only one of this. No morals, no values, no humanity, only for the eye of the world is looks like they are a decent family. There is a secret, dark, and hidden reality behind many of them. The famous double faces...

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"There is a secret, dark, and hidden reality behind many of them. The famous double faces..."

a snake slithering between the teeth of their smile.

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Decision to Recruit Egyptian Maids Triggers Controversy

Marwa Al-Hefnawy, Arab News

JEDDAH, 2 June 2007 — An agreement between Saudi Arabia and Egypt to recruit 120,000 Egyptian women to work as maids in the Kingdom has caused controversy among Egyptian expatriates.

Egyptians living in the Kingdom described news of the agreement as a “scandal” and “humiliating” to Egypt’s image in the Middle East. The agreement was signed by Saad Al-Baddah, chairman of the Saudi National Committee for Recruitment and Manpower, and Aisha Abdul Hady, Egyptian minister of manpower and immigration.

“It isn’t proper for Egypt to send its women to work as maids at other people’s homes; this is especially the case since Egypt has sent its scientists and qualified professionals all over the world and they have become extremely successful,” said Hazem Hassan, an Egyptian doctor.

Hassan believes the agreement will create problems between Egyptians and Saudis. “We all know what maids are exposed to in the Kingdom. We’ve heard a lot about maids being abused by their employers and the fact that they experience sexual harassment. We cannot accept that happening to Egyptian women. I believe this will create a lot of problems between Egyptians and Saudis, and will weaken relations between them.”

Essam Jaber, another Egyptian expatriate, said, “This accord will only increase problems experienced by Egyptian workers in the Kingdom.”

Lamia El-Sayed, a teacher at a private school, said the decision was a “disgrace” and that it has distressed a lot of Egyptians. “People look down on such jobs and refuse to work as maids. Where is the dignity for Egyptians?” she said.

El-Sayed said Egypt itself faces a major shortage of maids. “Egyptian maids would be better off employed in their home country rather than going abroad, especially since the salary for maids in Egypt is almost similar to that in the Kingdom,” she said.

Egyptian housewife Hanan Gomaa said she has been living in the Kingdom for 30 years. “I’ve never seen an Egyptian maid in Saudi Arabia, although I have heard that there are a few. Isn’t it terrible what we hear about Indonesian and Filipino maids and how they are sexually and physically abused?” she said. “The Egyptian minister announced that the accord would maintain the dignity of workers abroad, but how will she protect Egyptian women workers?”

Yasmine Abu Al-Saud, another Egyptian housewife, said she does not see any benefit in the agreement. “There was a decision taken before, preventing Egyptian women from working abroad as maids. Of course, this was a step forward and was a very wise decision. So what happened or changed? Why has there been a reversal? Are we moving forward or backward?”

Meanwhile, the local Egyptian press called the accord “a scandal” and “part of a plan to humiliate Egypt.” Mostafa Bakry, editor in chief of Al-Esbou’ newspaper, who is also a member of the Parliament, has applied to question the minister over the agreement.

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1§ion=0&article=96952&d=2&m=6&y=2007&pix=kingdom.jpg&category=Kingdom

Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well they don't do their own cleaning so they may as well do someone else's and get paid or laid for it
Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Just three months ago the same Egyptian Minister stated the following:

She said that Egyptian women are prohibited from working as maids abroad.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001187

Quite controversial, right?

Mousy, please stop assuming that what you read in the news coming from the government officials is true.

I know you dug out that article some months ago to prove me wrong about saying that there are Egyptian maids in the Gulf countries. Of course I was LMAO one more time, since we had/saw Egyptian maids in all the Arab countries we visited/lived in.

The problem with most Arab men is that they view maids as slaves. And slaves are allowed to be exploited according to the pre-Islamic Arab culture. A culture that is still alive and kicking against Islamic teachings.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The articles I post are not in anyway *dugged out*, I post them as they come up on news websites.

MK, you certainly hallucinating things. It's time to get off your experimental drugs, CYBERRAT..... [Roll Eyes]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com