EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cairo as a Cultural Capital!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cairo as a Cultural Capital!!
Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cairo has been always looked at as the cultural capital of the Arab world given its writers, intelectuals, films and its strong mass-media.

But now, we see that some places emerged to challenge Cairo in regard to this position such as Qatar, Dubai, ...etc..

Do you think that Cairo is losing/ has lost grounds and another place will emerge/ has emerged to replace Cairo?

Posts: 275 | From: the Globe | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cairo is definitely ‘losing ground’ it is a fact. You mentioned several other cities that are coming into their own. Cairo will always and forever remain the most popular Arab destination for Arabs and other nationalities but the status quo will be challenged.

Amman., Jordan is slowly becoming the ‘pearl of the Levant’. It is undergoing a massive transformation with $50 Billion in investments in the next 5 years. They have recently opened the Middle East largest interactive children’s museum. The Middle East largest botanical garden will be complete in a few years. This summer the Jerash festival of culture and arts will host artists and performers from around the world.

The above destination will take away many Gulf Arabs that typically spend their summers in either 1.) Cairo 2.) Beirut 3.) Damascus 4.) Amman 5.) Casablanca

Love them or hate them but Gulf Arabs bring serious capital with them. They greatly benefit every sector in the economy from housing to nightclubs.

Dubai will become one of the greatest winter destinations in the world. The world class projects in the works are really impressive. All they need IMHO is a Disneyland and they will be set.

Doha will never threaten Cairo in any way.

With egomaniacs like Dr.Hawass around things will only get worse. I mean what the hell is wrong with that man. He should know better than to challenge European intellectuals. What did Egypt gain? They are officially out of the “7 World Wonders” and his antics only hurt Egypt. It is really a damn shame when one man yields so much power. The Europeans said 'fine Mr.Hawas we will take the Pyramids off our list'. I mean it was a given that they would have been on the list. That is a guarantee but now they are not and this fact is a great marketing loss for Cairo.

Wait until (hopefully) things settle down in Beirut and Damascus. Things will really become interesting when those two cities come into play.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Beirut and Damascus, wonderful places to visit.
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hollyuk
Member # 13619

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hollyuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
interesting...
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salamanco
Member # 13595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salamanco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the past they used to say: Cairo Writes, Bierut Prints and Damscus reads..

Now Cairo does not write, but also does not print nor read [Frown]

Film industry deteriorated dramatically..

Yes, we are standing on shifting grounds these days..

Thanks and Yes, interesting topic

Posts: 108 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
With egomaniacs like Dr.Hawass around things will only get worse. I mean what the hell is wrong with that man. He should know better than to challenge European intellectuals. What did Egypt gain? They are officially out of the “7 World Wonders” and his antics only hurt Egypt. It is really a damn shame when one man yields so much power. The Europeans said 'fine Mr.Hawas we will take the Pyramids off our list'. I mean it was a given that they would have been on the list. That is a guarantee but now they are not and this fact is a great marketing loss for Cairo.
I am not sure if I missed something in your post, Sobriquet, but it appears that Mr. Zawi Hawass earned the Pyramids a guaranteed spot in the next round at the very least. No one can further vote for the Pyramids in the round of 20 because the campaign organizers decided the Pyramids automatically advance.
From the official site:
"After careful consideration, the New7Wonders Foundation designates the Pyramids of Giza—the only remaining of the 7 Ancient Wonders of the World—as an Honorary New7Wonders Candidate.

Therefore, you cannot vote for the Pyramids of Giza as part of the New7Wonders campaign.

This decision has also taken into account the views of the Supreme Council of Antiquities of Egypt and the Egyptian Ministry of Culture. The Pyramids are a shared world culture and heritage site and deserve their special status as the only Honorary Candidate of the New7Wonders of the World campaign."

Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graf_Genn:
quote:
I am not sure if I missed something in your post, Sobriquet, but it appears that Mr. Zawi Hawass earned the Pyramids a guaranteed spot in the next round at the very least. No one can further vote for the Pyramids in the round of 20 because the campaign organizers decided the Pyramids automatically advance.
From the official site:
"After careful consideration, the New7Wonders Foundation designates the Pyramids of Giza—the only remaining of the 7 Ancient Wonders of the World—as an Honorary New7Wonders Candidate.

Therefore, you cannot vote for the Pyramids of Giza as part of the New7Wonders campaign.

This decision has also taken into account the views of the Supreme Council of Antiquities of Egypt and the Egyptian Ministry of Culture. The Pyramids are a shared world culture and heritage site and deserve their special status as the only Honorary Candidate of the New7Wonders of the World campaign."

GG, you didn’t ‘miss something’ in my post. I was wrong and erred in thinking that the Pyramids were off the list altogether. So let me get this straight, on July 7th the New Seven World Wonders will be announced in Lisbon. The Pyramids and their “Honorary Status” will be in addition to the New Seven World Wonders and really that makes it 8 Wonders.

It takes an Egyptian official to lakhbit il-dunya [Smile]

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]

That makes it less confusing, but I am not sure if the intention is to have 7 wonders and the Pyramids, for a total of 8, or include it automatically and only have the top 6 candidates be given "wonder" status. [Confused]

Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NourHayati
Member # 5507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NourHayati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Cairo is and will always be unique
Posts: 327 | From: balad alnour | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NourHayati:
No. Cairo is and will always be unique

I totally agree. I haven't been to the other places which were mentioned above in the other posts but I don't believe Cairo will ever loose it's magnificent flair, the combination of old and new which makes it so unique, you basically can find everything there. I can only recommend to anyone to go and visit Egypt's capital.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't wait to visit Cairo - but doesnt look like it will be this year though - hopefully next year
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com