EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egyptian @ss kissing (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Egyptian @ss kissing
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is up with that? It prevails in Egyptian society ... like ya pasha, ya ustaz, ya mo3limim, etc

and it even extends here on ES

so much @ss kissing might just give you fart breath [Razz]

really it is too much ... khalas ba2a ... it is not cool. so played when you feel the need to compliment.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The Peoplę
Member # 13480

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatic For The Peoplę         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
what is up with that? It prevails in Egyptian society ... like ya pasha, ya ustaz, ya mo3limim, etc

really it is too much ... khalas ba2a ... it is not cool. so played when you feel the need to compliment.

You're starting to annoy me [Roll Eyes] And what does mo3limim mean? [Confused]
Posts: 194 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Automatic For The Peoplę:
quote:

You're starting to annoy me [Roll Eyes] And what does mo3limim mean? [Confused]
It's true though too much bultagiyah going around. It's my opinion and i am sharing it ... now with regard to mo3lim it means more or less 'master' or 'syed'

so what's anoying u auto? If i am in the wrong i will rectify the situation.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The Peoplę
Member # 13480

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatic For The Peoplę         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo3alim or mo3alimeen. Commenly pronounced me3alim/me3alimeen
Posts: 194 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just me
Member # 13160

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

ya pasha it's not true at all [Big Grin]
Posts: 76 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The Peoplę
Member # 13480

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Automatic For The Peoplę         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Automatic For The Peoplę:
[qb] [QUOTE]

so what's anoying u auto? If i am in the wrong i will rectify the situation.

You're handsome and everyone likes you, I hate that
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Mo3alim or mo3alimeen. Commenly pronounced me3alim/mealimeen

excuse my transliteration of aforementioned words

so what annoyed u? am i talking gibberish or what i stated fact?

Automatic For The Peoplę
Member # 13480

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Come again!
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So who does all the butt kissing here on ES??
Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by Agnostic:
quote:

ya pasha it's not true at all [Big Grin]
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHaa

rabinna yakhaleek [Big Grin]

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
quote:
quote:

Come again!
ya 3am what annoyed you?
Automatic For The Peoplę
Member # 13480

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Come again!
ya 3am what annoyed you?
Is "Ya 3am" considered kissing ass or a derogatory title?
Automatic For The Peoplę
Member # 13480

Rate Member
quote:

It's not ass kissing, it's part of Egyptian culture to be complimentary as well as address certain people with "7adretak" implying respect. I thought you were Egyptian [Confused]
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the joy of not understanding Arabic very well affords me the opportunity to miss the @ss kissing in Egypt, thank God for small graces. [Big Grin]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smuckers, how much Arabic do you know? Just enough to get along? Do you plan to learn more?
[Smile]
How is baby doing? I want to call her Alayna but I know that's not right, sorry!

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:
Smuckers, how much Arabic do you know? Just enough to get along? Do you plan to learn more?
[Smile]
How is baby doing? I want to call her Alayna but I know that's not right, sorry!

I understand quite a bit now, and can speak somewhat, reading it though FORGET IT! [Wink] I guess I can say I know enough to be alone in egypt if NEED BE, but that won't happen, I'm quite needy. [Razz] I will need to learn more as my daughter will be bilingual so hopefully I'll learn more as she learns.

Baby is great, thanks for asking, she is Laila and reminds me of a little baby doll with baby acne. [Big Grin]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

I'm actually taking an Arabic class right now and I'm so excited! [Big Grin]

Good to hear about baby Laila. I'm sure the acne will go away soon. [Smile]
Do you have all kinds of cute little baby clothes for her? That's the only thing I really missed when I had a boy. I couldn't dress him up in pink frilly stuff and have tea parties with him. lol

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

ES doesn't change that much!

Anyway, I thought you used to like to be called Pasha? [Smile]

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way to express in Arabic may sound overdone to people who are used to express in English, German, Dutch, etc. But the more you go south, the more colourfull the way to express.It`s in the people! Italian, Greece, Spanish and most of all Portugese use to express themselves in a more poetic way, and I think it`s only logical that Arabic is like this.
By the way, I`ve no idea about African languages...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:
I'm actually taking an Arabic class right now and I'm so excited! [Big Grin]

Good to hear about baby Laila. I'm sure the acne will go away soon. [Smile]
Do you have all kinds of cute little baby clothes for her? That's the only thing I really missed when I had a boy. I couldn't dress him up in pink frilly stuff and have tea parties with him. lol

So how is your Arabic so far? [Smile]

oH Yes, we have many cute little baby clothes, with the number of friends and family that sent us things we hardly had to purchase any clothes for her at all. I actually had 3 ES members send her a gift package (of course they were all good friends as well) and they all had such great taste. [Big Grin]
I know what you mean about the tea parties, I look forward to stuff like that. [Smile]
But you get to do other things with a boy right?

Tilutine
Member # 12661

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tilutine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it may be a bit different, but what about all these "dear", "my dear" we find in some posts? I find it absolutely condescending. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really hate that.
Posts: 78 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptians kiss ass because they're trying to figure out a way to scam you, while BSing you to death with faux pas greetings & praises.
Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These terms are used are signs of respect in Egypt.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aliym
Member # 12012

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Aliym     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:
--------------------------------------------
Egyptians kiss ass because they're trying to figure out a way to scam you, while BSing you to death with faux pas greetings & praises.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we r not kissing ass..,its just a way to talk with people from old ages before everyone here be born..,u can watch the black & white egyption movies which is so old to know that its just way in talking..,we r not kissing ass..,we r not paraises people to scam them..,

its so rude really..ya bahwat..,ya 3lyat el kawm

Posts: 712 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiselmonkey
Member # 13683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chiselmonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
bang on target

Posts: 102 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
quote:

ES doesn't change that much!

Anyway, I thought you used to like to be called Pasha? [Smile]

[Smile]

I used to and I especially liked 'bey'. I guess life humbled me and maybe just maybe wisdom is finally gracing me (not sure though ).

I believe they are nonsensical even if cultural. You hear it all the time on radio programs, the callers would devote 3 minutes to praises and 1 minute to the matter at hand.

I don't want to be to addressed in this manner and i don't want to address anyone in this manner.

It is not limited to Egypt.

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Funny, yet true to a large degree ...

BUT, i believe that the source of the problem is that Egyptians have become hypocrites to a large degree. The exaggerated display of respect just comes along with the territory

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by _Masrawi_:
quote:

BUT, i believe that the source of the problem is that Egyptians have become hypocrites to a large degree. The exaggerated display of respect just comes along with the territory

My name is Sobriquet and i agree 100% with what _Masrawi_ just wrote.

[Big Grin]

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

My name is Sobriquet and i agree 100% with what _Masrawi_ just wrote.

[Big Grin]

Ishta ya pasha ... hadritak masrawi bardo? [Big Grin]
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zaphirelee
Member # 11074

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zaphirelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen it. Crowds of employees thronging around the boss as if he or she were covered in honey. Leaping up from a mid afternoon snooze. and ratting out anyone you can just to make yourself not look so bad. I love Egypt. I hate this part.
Posts: 153 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The Peoplę
Member # 13480

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

I agree. Egyptians have become hypocrites to an astonishing degree. Those people are mostly greedy losers who compensate for their pathetic lives with their vain ass kissing and "bultagiyah".
But what really annoys me are all those Egyptians who think they are mo3limims [Roll Eyes] It's like they're the only ones who learend to mo3limim [Confused]
Mo3limim here, mo3limim there, mo3limim everywhere [Mad]

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
quote:
quote:

I agree. Egyptians have become hypocrites to an astonishing degree. Those people are mostly greedy losers who compensate for their pathetic lives with their vain ass kissing and "bultagiyah".
But what really annoys me are all those Egyptians who think they are mo3limims [Roll Eyes] It's like they're the only ones who learend to mo3limim [Confused]

Habayat kilmati [Smile] Try not to take things personally because it would take the fun out of posting.

It's not worth it Auto - my 2 cents

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In every community there are people who want to make part of people who have to something they want. Money, possibilities, or power. It depends on the economic level of the people, and their personal values, how strong this phenomenon will occure. In countries like Egypt poor people have little possibilities. So, when there is somebody available who could give them opportunities, often they forget manners, values, and dignity.
There is something to get for me, and I will get it. It is my only chance!!!
It doesn`t matter how, it doesn`t matter in what way, it`s mine.
They fight each other in this attempts, they try to place that particular person in the kind of situation that he/she has to deal with him, preferable with only him. They shall try to isolate the person, make him/her distrust anybody else (what isn`t that difficult because many are alike, they just have to tell him/her the truth and forget to tell about their own)
I`ve seen very bad examples of this kind of people. But to state that this is Egyptian....NO....it just are a certain kind of people and you will find them everywhere.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The Peoplę
Member # 13480

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Automatic For The Peoplę         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Habayat kilmati [Smile] Try not to take things personally because it would take the fun out of posting.

"Habayat kilmati" [Confused]

What gave you the impression I took it personally? I wasn't talking about myself I was talking about those Egyptians hypocrites, you know them ones over there. Not me, I'm different :roll eyes: . And it is fun for me. It is always amusing to wee people display their utter ignorance and stupidity............my to mo3limims

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

"Habayat kilmati" [Confused]

What gave you the impression I took it personally? I wasn't talking about myself I was talking about those Egyptians hypocrites, you know them ones over there. Not me, I'm different :roll eyes: . And it is fun for me. It is always amusing to wee people display their utter ignorance and stupidity............my to mo3limims

My bad then because I thought you took it personally simply by your continuous use of mo3limim. It is my transliteration and your redundancy (ofmo3limim) is odd.

Yes there is 'ignorance' in Egypt and expectedly given the high illiteracy rate.

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[Smile]

I used to and I especially liked 'bey'. I guess life humbled me and maybe just maybe wisdom is finally gracing me (not sure though ).

I believe they are nonsensical even if cultural. You hear it all the time on radio programs, the callers would devote 3 minutes to praises and 1 minute to the matter at hand.

I don't want to be to addressed in this manner and i don't want to address anyone in this manner.

Welcome back [Smile]

Glad that things seemed to have worked out well for you and that there have been some positive developments. Thought I recognized another returnee.

Hope the Amman experience goes well; where will you be studying? I was there for a while and loved the place.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
[Smile]

Welcome back [Smile]

Glad that things seemed to have worked out well for you and that there have been some positive developments. Thought I recognized another returnee.

Hope the Amman experience goes well; where will you be studying? I was there for a while and loved the place.

And so the penny finally drops! Nice to see you Sobriquet
Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The Peoplę
Member # 13480

Rate Member
You can't be serious. Say it ain't so [Cool]
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

newcomer [Smile] Thank you and it is nice to be back home (ES). I can definitely understand why you 'loved' amman. Thanks for the well-wishes and I have a good feeling about it here. I mean so far we have been treated with utmost respect. Insha Allah it continues that way. I noticed people here are not lighthearted like Egyptians but it is okay, I guess.

shareen thanks [Smile]

auto izzyak ya pasha [Smile] alhmadulillah you didn't rough me up too badly [Smile]

It's nice to be part of your company here guys.

Peace

[Smile]

newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
newcomer [Smile] Thank you and it is nice to be back home (ES). I can definitely understand why you 'loved' amman. Thanks for the well-wishes and I have a good feeling about it here. I mean so far we have been treated with utmost respect. Insha Allah it continues that way. I noticed people here are not lighthearted like Egyptians but it is okay, I guess.

I have a feeling that we would both look for very different things in a city. [Smile] But definitely respect is one of the things I miss from there, especially that shown to Muslim women.

I hear that the cost of living has gone crazy there of late though, blamed partly on the influx of rich Iraqis. When I was there it was the poor Iraqis, and Palestinians, who were flooding the country, now its the rich ones.

Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It is always amusing to wee people

The leprechauns? [Confused] [Razz] [Cool]
Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Heh, VB. To be fair though...don't most people when trying to sell you something?
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The Peoplę
Member # 13480

Rate Member
quote:

shareen thanks [Smile]

auto izzyak ya pasha [Smile] alhmadulillah you didn't rough me up too badly [Smile]

Peace

[Smile]

Enough ass kissing already [Big Grin]
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
quote:

I have a feeling that we would both look for very different things in a city. [Smile] But definitely respect is one of the things I miss from there, especially that shown to Muslim women.

I hear that the cost of living has gone crazy there of late though, blamed partly on the influx of rich Iraqis. When I was there it was the poor Iraqis, and Palestinians, who were flooding the country, now its the rich ones.

Well I'm sure you and I have many things in common with regards to what a city has to offer. [Smile]

Yes the cost of living here is expensive. Finding accommodation is an endeavor and you can forget about finding a decent furnished apartment May-Sept. A decent (nothing fancy) two bedroom furnished apartment will cost $1000 - $1500 per month during summer. I thought people were exaggerating the prices of apartment rentals. I relied on the 'waseet' and 'al-mumtaz' weekly periodicals but when you actually call for the apartments most turn out to be real estate agents and they will show you an apartment 'for a fee'. The apartments listed almost always have faults with them and I do mean serious faults.

Renting yearly is a better option and the cost is also expensive but for $400-$500 a month you can find a nice 3 bedroom unfurnished apartment in western Amman. Outside Amman it is possible to find something around $200 a month (unfurnished)
in Sweileh.

Food is cheaper than Egypt and the variety is excellent. Brazilian (fresh) beef would costs around 30 L.E a kilo (I'll quote in L.E to give you an idea). However on sale you could buy it for around 20 L.E a kilo. Jordan offers real sales . Enjoy/Juhana milk is around 6 L.E a liter but on sale it is 4 L.E.

If you love seafood they have Frozen fish from Argentina, Vietnam, China, etc for around 10 – 13 L.E a kilo. I won't recommend the Fish from Vietnam because I read up on where my food comes from and in Vietnam's case it is the polluted Mekong River.

Organic eggs cost roughly the same as ordinary Egyptian eggs. Many American products are reasonably priced like peanut butter. Shampoos and deodorants are 1/2 the price of Egypt.

Taxis compared to Cairo are expensive and a 2-5 L.E taxi ride would be around 8-10 L.E in Amman. They are however metered and you pay exactly what is on the meter. The drivers rarely talk and I enjoy this fact. They seem respectful, at least so far.

We really don't know the deal with the water supply but because we live in a 'posh area' where many government officials live. I am not bragging I am telling it like it is and because of this fact we have running water for 3 days a week. After that we must rely on our water that is stored on the roof and in the cistern below ground. Other areas have running water for only 24 hours.

Internet access, electricity, fuel is much more expensive than Egypt. Clothing and products in Malls are expensive for most foreigners. We saw this bullshit little baby crib for 275 JD (about $400). No we aren't having a baby but that was something that stuck to my mind for some reason. Downtown has some decent prices on such items, including furniture.

It just seems that Jordanians are not as helpful as Egyptians. I mean Egyptians when they see you carrying or unpacking things they will rush to help for a small fee. Here it is DIY. I have no problem with that and I have no problem with taking out the trash every night to the trash canister down the block. I am simply detailing the differences between Amman and Cairo.

There are parks to relax in and they are clean. King Hussein Park is simply beautiful and they have a new interactive children museum there. The Mosque on top of the hill is also very beautiful. Clearly there are pros and cons with living anywhere. I am sure you remember Abdali Bus station well the good news for (me) is they will move it any day now to a new depot (nice looking) in Sports City area (madinah al-riyatheyah). We live not to far from there and the buses there will serve Amman, Jordan, Israel, Egypt, Syria and Turkey.

I'm happy because if it's like Abdali, then they will have food stands that will serve Shawerma, Kebab and Kofta, Hummus etc.

Really our new area is so residential it is not funny. We will need a car! Damn, I wish I have a shoe box full of crisp $100 bills [Big Grin]

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
quote:

shareen thanks [Smile]

Peace

[Smile]

A reasonable amount of ass kissing is fine by me [Smile]
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
quote:
quote:

shareen thanks [Smile]

Peace

[Smile]

A reasonable amount of ass kissing is fine by me [Smile]
Oh! I almost forgot

Hathir ya pasha [Razz]

VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
quote:

Heh, VB. To be fair though...don't most people when trying to sell you something?
Someone trying to sell you something is quite different than the egyptian style ass-hoovering that goes on here, usually they're trying to just take something from you, but first they have to get you to let your guard down by blowing sunshine up your bum til it feels like Mt. Vesuvius in your colon.
Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VB: ''...usually they're trying to just take something from you, but first they have to get you to let your guard down by blowing sunshine up your bum til it feels like Mt. Vesuvius in your colon. ''

[Big Grin] LOL...I've never considered it in quite that way before, but you make the point with unique efficiency, Mr VB.

Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
quote:

Someone trying to sell you something is quite different than the egyptian style ass-hoovering that goes on here, usually they're trying to just take something from you, but first they have to get you to let your guard down by blowing sunshine up your bum til it feels like Mt. Vesuvius in your colon.
So that's what it is!!

The funny feeling I get whenever I am buying something in Egypt that is ...

newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
Well I'm sure you and I have many things in common with regards to what a city has to offer. [Smile]

That was wonderful to read...it took me back 10 years!!!

My experience of Jordan was very different from yours, as I was there to study at the University of Jordan and stayed in the women's hostel...what an experience! We were locked in from 7.00 pm (in the winter, 8.00 pm in the summer) to 7.00 am, and the mushrifah's would come round to do a roll call make sure that we were all in our rooms. And woe betide anyone one who was late back! Alhamdu lillah, I was rescued from there after a while, but learned many valuable experiences from it.

The water situation in the hostel was so dire that many of the girls only showered once a week...and that would also be the day that the poor students washed all their clothes and put on their second set for the following week. Many mornings we would wake up to find no water at all as we had finished our ration in the roof tanks.

When I finally escaped from the hostel, I remember that the family I stayed with would do all their weekly washing and wash the house down while the tanks were being filled with water. That meant that all the water they used that night would be replaced as they were using it, and so they were conserving their ration for the rest of the week.

I smiled at your mention of Abdali bus station and the polite taxis. Even the microbuses were a pleasure to ride in Jordan. If I got on one by myself, the guy collecting the money would make sure that the men moved around so I could either sit on a single seat by myself or on a double seat by myself or next to a woman!

My favourite area of Amman was downtown, I used to love wondering round there and poking in the little shops and souqs, and smelling the spices. And grabbing a Jordanian shawarma...they were superb, much better, sadly, than the Egyptian ones - in fact personally I prefer the Shammy food...the mansaf, makluba, musakhan...my mouth is watering at the memory! [Smile]

Thanks for reminding me of all those things...and more [Wink]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com