EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » importing private or company car

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: importing private or company car
zeexen
Member # 13305

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for zeexen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I'm currently living in Belgium. end December Ill be moving to Hurghada or El Gouna.
I would like to take my car with me (to transport the more brakeble objects).
Anyway, can I import my car to Egypt?
and what is better/easier: register the car as company car or private car?
It's a BMW from 1992 320i.

thx

Posts: 4 | From: Diegem, Belgium | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not, it is a real headache.. besides all the customs that you have to pay, you cannot stay with your car more than 3 months and if you are lucky then you can get an extension of another 3. Which means tat you have to leave the country with the car and if you come back again, then you pay again.. Regardless of the money you have to pay under the table of course..

Consult the Egyptian embassy before you fall into the trap

Posts: 275 | From: the Globe | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey ...

don't know anything about the car-issue ... but nice to know someone from Diegem will be moving to Hurghada [Smile] Have a great time !!!
I am sure you won't miss our rainy days here [Big Grin]

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The Peoplę
Member # 13480

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatic For The Peoplę         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zeexen:
Hi all,

I'm currently living in Belgium. end December Ill be moving to Hurghada or El Gouna.

thx

Not on permanent basis. It is too old to import to Egypt. I believe the limit is 5 years! Not exactly sure but I know 92 is way outside of the limit.
Posts: 194 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 years if he were an egyptian citizen living abroad and first owner of the car. For foreigners it has to be the model of the year to be granted permanent permit after paying the customs, which is a huge amount of money based on size of engine and i do not know what!!!..

1992 can enter for 3 months, renewable to 6 after the big hassle and paying fees and baksheesh, which is again a real pain..

Posts: 275 | From: the Globe | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntonD
Member # 11376

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AntonD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found that I couldn't import a car less than one year old when I moved to Cairo from Germany.
Fortunately I was eligible for a duty free car, so I sold mine and bought a brand new one for "special cheap price".
But there are restrictions on how long I must keep the car for.

Posts: 52 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zeexen
Member # 13305

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zeexen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thx guys,

I guess I will sell my car.

I will let you guys know where I'll move.

see ya,
Chris

Posts: 4 | From: Diegem, Belgium | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Automatic For The Peoplę:
quote:
Originally posted by zeexen:
Hi all,

thx

Not on permanent basis. It is too old to import to Egypt. I believe the limit is 5 years! Not exactly sure but I know 92 is way outside of the limit.
That only applies to cars that you plan to pay the customs on ...

I believe zeexen wanted to look into the option of driving the car on a trip ticket (known as triptik in Egypt). As Farstar mentioned, it isn't worth it for a car that old. The fees you will be paying will end up being more than the price of the car.

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com