EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Roll Call

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Roll Call
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of curiosity how long have you lived in Egypt? Those that are married(and living outside Egypt) to Egyptians simply answer this question by stating the time you spent with your spouse.

Sobriquet: lived 5+ years in Egypt and married to an Egyptian.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on don't be shy. This is meant to fish out the 'haters'. Those who love to cut and paste but never been to Egypt.
Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Those who classify all Muslim countries by the actions of Iran and Saudia Arabia. Those who believe their racist reporters over people who actually live in region.
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Those who choose to believe nonsense ‘well I read A-Rabs are savages and if they find a white girl with blonde hair they’ll kidnap her”
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

I could walk from here to Istanbul without fear. After that ... well ... i guess i saw Hostel I and Hostel II

[Razz]

I am dead serious. Arab countries are the safest in the world and if anyone brings up that ONE missing backpacker i will virtually slap them.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been married and living in Egypt for just short of 2 years now (married to an Egyptian). Also, I classify the people who talk about Egypt like they know much about it but have only 'visited' Egypt. Not the same thing. [Wink] There is a different view of Egypt once the tourist/visitor mentality wears off.

I agree it's relatively safe here as a non-Egyptian holding an American passport, but I wouldn't necessarily say the same thing for Egyptians themselves. It is much safer here than in the states. I keep up with home reading the daily news there and the crime there is of no comparison.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Those who choose to believe nonsense ‘well I read A-Rabs are savages and if they find a white girl with blonde hair they’ll kidnap her”
Doesn't that happen? [Wink]

Before I went, I heard so many stories like that. Every one was trying to save me. lol [Roll Eyes]

I lived there 2 months. I have many family and friends there. Not my family, but my guys. But still we refer to each other as family. I love Egypt. I was very happy there. Of course you miss things. But I loved it for Egypt. So I guess I can fall into a couple of categories.

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
I have been married and living in Egypt for just short of 2 years now (married to an Egyptian). Also, I classify the people who talk about Egypt like they know much about it but have only 'visited' Egypt. Not the same thing. [Wink] There is a different view of Egypt once the tourist/visitor mentality wears off.

I agree it's relatively safe here as a non-Egyptian holding an American passport, but I wouldn't necessarily say the same thing for Egyptians themselves. It is much safer here than in the states. I keep up with home reading the daily news there and the crime there is of no comparison.

What annoys me most is the way certain members portray Muslim countries. They post with so much confidence yet they do not have any tangible evidence supporting their claims. A person who has lived in Cairo has the right to voice out his or her dismay with many aspects regarding life in the huge city. What he/she writes can easily be substantiated or dismissed by many members who live or have lived in Cairo.

Time and time again some members stigmatize Muslim countries. These members tend to generalize Muslim nations according to the way of life in a few Muslim nations. It is proper to say Iran, Saudia Arabia, Sudan, and Pakistan restrict women’s attire and freedoms.

It’s is erroneous to claim that Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Tunisia, Libya, Algeria, Morocco, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, etc.

All the countries above are Muslim (excluding Lebanon) nations, irrespective of their ‘secular’ governments. Mexico has a secular government but claiming that Mexico is a Catholic country is anything but wrong. It is about the people because governments come and go.

As for crime and according to Nation Master (crime per capita), not one Arab country is on the top 35 rank. The closest one is Tunisia ranked at 40 with 12.5 crimes per 1000 people. This actually pales in comparison to USA/UK/France/Germany/Canada which average between 75-85 crimes per 1000 people. Egypt isn’t even listed, its crime per capita is probably less than 1 per 1000 people because the country ranked 60th crime per capita is 1 per 1000 people.

I would also like to add that the overwhelming majority of Muslim countries are not even ranked. Their crime per capita similar to Egypt is probably less that 1 per 1000 people.
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri_percap-crime-total-crimes-per-capita

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lived in Egypt for three years - most of the time I spent in Cairo. I was shortly engaged to an Egyptian - and even lived with him together (does that count)? [Wink]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm married to an Egyptian but never lived in Egypt. I spent a total of 1.5 months there. While I was there I stayed with my inlaws in a very non tourist town.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by Shebah:
quote:
Doesn't that happen? [Wink]

Before I went, I heard so many stories like that. Every one was trying to save me. lol [Roll Eyes]

I lived there 2 months. I have many family and friends there. Not my family, but my guys. But still we refer to each other as family. I love Egypt. I was very happy there. Of course you miss things. But I loved it for Egypt. So I guess I can fall into a couple of categories.

I’m not blonde – not blued eye and a guy and I even heard that story. It was like the happiest day of my life, I was shopping for my first trip to Egypt and to take my passports pics – then the lady said something like “so where you going?” I answered Egypt and she was like “Oh honey don’t go there” and then she proceeded to tell about Arab savages kidnapping beautiful blued eyed , blonde women.

I believed her in a way. This taxi driver was driving me around to score some hash and he drove a little too much and took me a little too far and I ditched the guy, running back to civilization. [Big Grin]

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
I lived in Egypt for three years - most of the time I spent in Cairo. I was shortly engaged to an Egyptian - and even lived with him together (does that count)? [Wink]

Yes it definitely counts this thread was about a few members that have contempt for Muslims, Arabs and the Middle East in general. Those who don’t know the difference between an Iranian Shiite and a Sunni Egyptian (for example), those who take Bill O’Riley and other Fox commentators words for fact with regards to the Middle East and Islam.
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lived in Egypt for approx. 5 years. I think my bigger issue is the idea that the 'bawab' and others are representative of all Egyptians; and that you have to be a descendant of the post revolutionary peasants (fallaheen) to be a real Egyptian. Many people, though not 'ethnically' Egyptian can identify with Cairo as their home even if they were not from Egypt.

--------------------
Disclaimer: My posts are not meant to personally offend anyone. If you find yourself reading my posts repeatedly, you are kindly asked to seek the help of a professional [Smile]

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lived here in egypt since nov 2005, and prior lived in Florida. Feel safe here walking at 2 am, but would never walk down to the local 7-11 after dark in Florida. Maybe cuz everyone here knows me (only amreekan here - and have blonde hair & blue eyes) - and they know the hubby quite well - all the bowabs, their families and even the baladi dog that hangs out in our neighborhood along the street know us, as well as all the local shopkeepers. I get different vibes here - safe vibes. At first was stared at like a bug, but now they are used to my old face here.
Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
I was shortly engaged to an Egyptian - and even lived with him together (does that count)? [Wink]

u married the guy? [Confused]
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally from UK..Lived and worked in Hurghada for almost 4 years... now living in Georgia USA [Smile]
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was there for 11 days and will be there for 9 days starting next week. [Smile] My mother is one of those people you are talking about and thinks that I have been brainwashed and am now one of "them". lol [Big Grin]
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm quick mental add up of my time in egypt......
in all i have spent a total of 8 months in egypt, and getting ready to add 5 weeks to that total.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is not the amount of time what`s important, but there are numbers of aspects that gives somebody a certain view.
For me the most important points should be:
- knowledge about the class-system
- knowledge about different places
- knowledge about familylife and other cultural habits
- knowledge about social, economical, political parts
- the reason why you are or have been there

Somebody who has been there for work, shall get another kind of expierence as somebody who has been there because of a relationship, for instance. When "there" is Cairo, it is different as a village, or the Red Sea places.

Being in Egypt doesn`t necesarry has to give you a wide view on society...it depends what you`re doing there, in what companionship you are, in what level, and why...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
locale
Member # 12632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for locale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been here nearly 3 months and totally not wanting to go home yet. [Frown]
Posts: 210 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never lived in egypt but I travell there a lot, lived and worked in Israel for several years, travelled around Lebanon and Syria - never felt afraid
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt is a wonderful country, well worth exploring. Sadly, the impression sometimes given on ES, is that is little more than a convenience store, where desperate women pop in for end of line, cheap, gigolo 'bargains'. My experience of Egypt is simply through having travelled there and enjoying extended periods of leisure, with my family...then later, my British husband. I first visited when I was very young and have spent time amounting to several years there. To really know Egypt, I think you have to live in the country. A visitor can learn a little, but scratch beneath the shiny tourist picture...and a very different Egypt emerges. As a general rule, stay away from those involved in tourism, if you want to get a more realistic view of the culture.
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
Being in Egypt doesn`t necesarry has to give you a wide view on society...it depends what you`re doing there, in what companionship you are, in what level, and why...

So..... 4 years in 'Gigoloville' has given me a narrow experience???
Wow!!! What am I missing!!! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snapdragon
Member # 9036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snapdragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lived in Egypt for a little over 2 years and returned to the states last year...happily!
Before that I had visited many times just for the tourist scene. Like others here have said living in Egypt and visiting are much different.

I have also lived in Emirates for a couple of years.

Egypt is safe regarding crime versus the US but there are many other "unsafe" issues in Egypt. I was almost plowed down by a man and his horse cart. This is the 21st freaking century. Horses are for riding for pleasure ... not automobiles.

Speaking of automobiles...the micro/mini buses are totally unsafe on those freeways. They drive very very fast and have absolutely no patience or respect for others on the road. NO tickets - NO rules..what do u expect?

TRAINS ... how many of you who have lived in Egypt have seen boys/young guys riding on the outside of the cars? on the roof? They don't want to pay. My husband says they simply prefer or think it is fun to ride that way. I think it has since become illegal but I saw it numerous times.

Don't get me started on the underground! I traveled a lot to Cairo from where I was living and you have like 10 seconds to exit/enter the metro or you will be killed. IF you are not trampled on first!

My personal favorite is the patience. No one has a bit of patience. Constantly, I was pushed, shoved, had my toes stepped on, almost ran over by horse cart and my niece actually did get hit by one, watched a donkey get pushed by a bus down the street (no kidding), had to learn to dodge flying cars crossing the street. I mean come on what the hell are you in a hurry for that risking someone's life is more important.

Arggh... I am glad to be home! [Smile]

Posts: 525 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:
all the bowabs, their families and even the baladi dog that hangs out in our neighborhood along the street know us,

[Big Grin] Aren't all dogs here baladi? [Big Grin]
[Razz]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
Egypt is a wonderful country, well worth exploring. Sadly, the impression sometimes given on ES, is that is little more than a convenience store, where desperate women pop in for end of line, cheap, gigolo 'bargains'. My experience of Egypt is simply through having travelled there and enjoying extended periods of leisure, with my family...then later, my British husband. I first visited when I was very young and have spent time amounting to several years there. To really know Egypt, I think you have to live in the country. A visitor can learn a little, but scratch beneath the shiny tourist picture...and a very different Egypt emerges. As a general rule, stay away from those involved in tourism, if you want to get a more realistic view of the culture.

agreed [Wink]
[Cool]

seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Snapdragon:
I lived in Egypt for a little over 2 years and returned to the states last year...happily!
Before that I had visited many times just for the tourist scene. Like others here have said living in Egypt and visiting are much different.

I have also lived in Emirates for a couple of years.

Egypt is safe regarding crime versus the US but there are many other "unsafe" issues in Egypt. I was almost plowed down by a man and his horse cart. This is the 21st freaking century. Horses are for riding for pleasure ... not automobiles.

Speaking of automobiles...the micro/mini buses are totally unsafe on those freeways. They drive very very fast and have absolutely no patience or respect for others on the road. NO tickets - NO rules..what do u expect?

TRAINS ... how many of you who have lived in Egypt have seen boys/young guys riding on the outside of the cars? on the roof? They don't want to pay. My husband says they simply prefer or think it is fun to ride that way. I think it has since become illegal but I saw it numerous times.

Don't get me started on the underground! I traveled a lot to Cairo from where I was living and you have like 10 seconds to exit/enter the metro or you will be killed. IF you are not trampled on first!

My personal favorite is the patience. No one has a bit of patience. Constantly, I was pushed, shoved, had my toes stepped on, almost ran over by horse cart and my niece actually did get hit by one, watched a donkey get pushed by a bus down the street (no kidding), had to learn to dodge flying cars crossing the street. I mean come on what the hell are you in a hurry for that risking someone's life is more important.

Arggh... I am glad to be home! [Smile]

I agree, there are a lot of safety issues here for the foreigner (for the locals as well, I've seen people hit in the streets even in this small city). [Frown]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com