EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Moving pets to Cairo (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Moving pets to Cairo
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because I have had a very difficult, nay almost impossible, time getting any information on this from anywhere, I am going to start this thread where I will post up, from scratch, the experience of moving my two kitties to Cairo from the UK as it might be useful for someone else!

I am not too proud to say that they are my substitute children and I am fretting like the worst kind of middle class mummy about to push her kids off to prep school.

I don't wish to go into the pros and cons of why I have decided to bring them with me - suffice to say that rehousing them with relatives in the UK is out of the question unless I was to shuffle off this mortal coil so I'm not going to enter discussions here about this decision. It has been discussed ad nauseum with friends and relations.

In terms of moving to Egypt, I think the climate and temperatures of Cairo - desert side - will be fine for them, it would probably be a very different story if I were moving to Luxor which is a lot hotter.

BEFORE YOU START

When you take pets from London Heathrow to Cairo, you are required to use a pet travel agent. http://www.britishairways.com/travel/pet/public/en_gb

The agent I have contacted is: http://www.airpets.co.uk/

The pet travel scheme http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm
does not apply to Egypt. If you are bringing pets back to the UK from Egypt, then they will have to spend 6 months in quarantine. [Frown] Bear this in mind before taking them with you. (In principle, I am intending this to be a one way move for them given their age and my plans).

I have a quote from Airpets - I'll post up the details in a separate post another day! Today, I went to visit the boarding cattery/kennels near Heathrow Airport where they will be required to spend 7 days before moving in order that various consular paperwork, vet clearances etc are given. This visit alleviated a lot of my worries. [Smile]

You also need to know that the rabies inoculations needs to be given at least 30 days before proposed date of travel, but not more than 1 year. So factor that in to your planning! I am looking at moving them September/October so need to get the jabs done soon.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im heartbroken to leave my cats, i got no time, its totally impossible to take them, i left it to late, im grieving for them, even as i look at them now,
the day i walk out is a day of heart ache for me, my adoring beautiful persians
But i have to find my happiness, and its not here
to much medical stuff here in holland and takes forever and time is not on my side

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yorkshire rose:
im heartbroken to leave my cats, i got no time, its totally impossible to take them, i left it to late, im grieving for them, even as i look at them now,
the day i walk out is a day of heart ache for me, my adoring beautiful persians
But i have to find my happiness, and its not here
to much medical stuff here in holland and takes forever and time is not on my side

Yorki, please don't leave your beloved pets behind! In Germany you can gather all documents immediately (up-to-date vaccination record for the Europe Union, flying certificate). Your cats might need a rabies booster and they are good to go. I really don't believe Holland is any different and if so then just hop over the border and get your vet app. for your pets done here! You must make time for your cats.

If you are planning on returning with them at one point back to the UK - well that's a totally different story.

If you decided to leave them behind, are they gonna stay with your ex?

Good luck with the move. [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes they will with free life to play in ggarden
it will be fine
really no problem
i called vets to ask all
and it was like from 7 weeks- 1 years for the rabies and then check up blood test
all oh my god
it was like hell
i cant put them through it
they will be so loved, its me with the pain

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hugs yorkie, i know probably most of all how much you have and are suffering with this. Just take comfort in the fact that they are remaining in the home they know and love and will be safe and happy, no danger, as opposed to bringing them and them possibly getting out into the streets and hurt......

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sending you big hugs, Yorkie. I totally understand your pain. I, too, had to leave my 2 kitties behind when I moved here. It still hurts.
I felt like a traitor, but they were older kitties and they would have never survived the 24 hours of airport hassles to get here to Cairo. I know that deep down it was the best thing for them, but I still feel guilty.
Maybe that is why I am such a pushover when it comes to feeding the local cats here.
Take lots of pics of them, and remember all the good that they brought into your life.
and do you have any pics to share with us?

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oldbag:
Because I have had a very difficult, nay almost impossible, time getting any information on this from anywhere, I am going to start this thread where I will post up, from scratch, the experience of moving my two kitties to Cairo from the UK as it might be useful for someone else!

I am not too proud to say that they are my substitute children and I am fretting like the worst kind of middle class mummy about to push her kids off to prep school.

I don't wish to go into the pros and cons of why I have decided to bring them with me - suffice to say that rehousing them with relatives in the UK is out of the question unless I was to shuffle off this mortal coil so I'm not going to enter discussions here about this decision. It has been discussed ad nauseum with friends and relations.

In terms of moving to Egypt, I think the climate and temperatures of Cairo - desert side - will be fine for them, it would probably be a very different story if I were moving to Luxor which is a lot hotter.

BEFORE YOU START

When you take pets from London Heathrow to Cairo, you are required to use a pet travel agent. http://www.britishairways.com/travel/pet/public/en_gb

The agent I have contacted is: http://www.airpets.co.uk/

The pet travel scheme http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm
does not apply to Egypt. If you are bringing pets back to the UK from Egypt, then they will have to spend 6 months in quarantine. [Frown] Bear this in mind before taking them with you. (In principle, I am intending this to be a one way move for them given their age and my plans).

I have a quote from Airpets - I'll post up the details in a separate post another day! Today, I went to visit the boarding cattery/kennels near Heathrow Airport where they will be required to spend 7 days before moving in order that various consular paperwork, vet clearances etc are given. This visit alleviated a lot of my worries. [Smile]

You also need to know that the rabies inoculations needs to be given at least 30 days before proposed date of travel, but not more than 1 year. So factor that in to your planning! I am looking at moving them September/October so need to get the jabs done soon.

I used airpets and they were great.

Just remember that if you are not travelling on the same flight that you really need to get an agent to be there for their arrival at Cairo International.

Even with our agent it took 4 hours to have ours released.

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only hope that my dog doesn't become too fat and can travel with me in the cabin when we will move there in the future.

My adopted cat got lost eight years ago on a flight from Cairo to Brussels. They found him after couple of hours injured but alive in the first airplane (LH flight) in Frankfurt since it was not a non-stop flight.

Imagine this: My husband stands at the baggage claim in Brussels and a broken empty cage shows up?! [Eek!]

I really don't trust the Egyptians how they deal with animals whether on an airplane nor on the street!!!!

Unfortunately my cat which even survived a fall from a balcony on the third floor in Maadi (my husband would only tell me this a year later!) died on a Belgium road two months after moving there. I think there are wrong about a cat having nine lives. Toutou you are still being very much missed.... [Frown]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
OH YES I HAVE SO MANY REALLY, THEY ARE MY LIFE, I STILL DONT BELIVE I WILL SAY GOOD BYE,
THEY HAVE BEEN MY BEST FRIENDS, AND ONE IN PARTICULAR, MAISIE, I MUST PUT SOME PICS ON HERE, THEY ARE ADORABLE

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
I can only hope that my dog doesn't become too fat and can travel with me in the cabin when we will move there in the future.

My adopted cat got lost eight years ago on a flight from Cairo to Brussels. They found him after couple of hours injured but alive in the first airplane (LH flight) in Frankfurt since it was not a non-stop flight.

Imagine this: My husband stands at the baggage claim in Brussels and a broken empty cage shows up?! [Eek!]

I really don't trust the Egyptians how they deal with animals whether on an airplane nor on the street!!!!

Unfortunately my cat which even survived a fall from a balcony on the third floor in Maadi (my husband would only tell me this a year later!) died on a Belgium road two months after moving there. I think there are wrong about a cat having nine lives. Toutou you are still being very much missed.... [Frown]

TL - you really need to check whether he's allowed to travel in the cabin with you. Its absolutely not allowed from/to London Heathrow on British Airways or EgyptAir. This is a fairly new - past couple of years - change in regulations I think. Obviously I don't know how the rest of the world is affected!
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
TL - you really need to check whether he's allowed to travel in the cabin with you. Its absolutely not allowed from/to London Heathrow on British Airways or EgyptAir. This is a fairly new - past couple of years - change in regulations I think. Obviously I don't know how the rest of the world is affected!

That is really good news to me. [Smile] On one plane trip took, I was sneezing from the moment we took off to the moment we landed, and didn't know why, until three people pulled cat-cages out from under their seats and got off the plane! I have had allergies to some cats but never thought of people having them in the cabin with them, so that now means that I don't have to take anti-histamines before I fly.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
quote:

That is really good news to me. [Smile] On one plane trip took, I was sneezing from the moment we took off to the moment we landed, and didn't know why, until three people pulled cat-cages out from under their seats and got off the plane! I have had allergies to some cats but never thought of people having them in the cabin with them, so that now means that I don't have to take anti-histamines before I fly.
If you're not flying from Heathrow and you fly via KLM or Air France or something, it might be different...
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the pets were given 'pet sleeping pills' before flying? Can't imagine them being awake and hearing the roar of the engines in the cargo section for 16 hours or more!
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by Karah_Mia:
I thought the pets were given 'pet sleeping pills' before flying? Can't imagine them being awake and hearing the roar of the engines in the cargo section for 16 hours or more!

No, apparently you should never give pets sedatives as apparently they need to be able to control their body temperatures etc.
On British Airways, they fly in a section directly under the passengers, so they have exactly the same environmental conditions, temperature, air etc, but its in darkness as apparently they travel better like that.
Apparently, if there's no heating on the plane they won't let pets fly either.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
I think oldbag the problem that animals can't stay with the owner in the cabin has to do with strict UK guidelines (the Egyptians are usually more easy-going and of course in this case Egypt Air has to apply these laws to its flights to and from the UK).

I believe my 'baby' will be able to come with me - underneath my seat. My dog is small sized, around 5 kg, it would perfectly fit into the soft bag carrier (I just don't think it will like it).

Karah, I had the impression that US vets routinely give out sedatives for pets in case of travel. The German vets have a totally different opinion about that. Well I'll see an American one when it's time! [Big Grin]

eshtadiva
Member # 13742

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for eshtadiva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've travelled with my dogs and had no problems. Now, I will say, they are 2 german shepherds and they went to Abu Dhabi and back to Cairo. they were on the same flight that I was on and I picked them up in Cairo with the luggage. You can imagine the stir it caused when these two big cages came out and they were barking. I've been told by many vets that it's not good to sedate the animals when flying international. People handling the cages need to know the animal is okay. All animals are put in an area of the plane that is set up for animals, they are not put with regular cargo. Make sure all the shots are up to date and you should have a letter from the vet that is no older than 10 days saying the animal is healthy. Egypt is very easy to bring animals in to. Talk with the airline and make sure you tell them you want them to be excess baggage, that way they will come through the baggage area which is much faster. Now, a cat may be able to be in the cabin and maybe small dogs so check with the airline. I couldn't imagine leaving my dogs or cat behind. As you said, they are our kids!
Posts: 68 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Good morning, eshtadiva. The problem is not to bring them into Egypt (as Egyptian regulations are easy to fulfill and you already highlightened that) but to bring the pet back from a developing country to the EU - way worse is the UK. Isn't it insane that pets have to stay in quarantine for six months ? All this because of rabies? Even if your pet is proven to be free of any other contagious diseases? How will this affect your animal, your own happiness and your wallet? [Eek!] [Frown]
sally
Member # 956

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is better for the animal to be in the hold rather than the cabin.
planes have a special pressurised area where animals go - it is the same as the cabin but quiter (no screaming kids) and also dark so the animals can sleep.
they should never be given sedatives as the effects of the altitude under sedation have not been properly monitored or researched.
most animals don't need it - they sleep most of the way.

oldbag - i'd speak to BA about the arrival of your cats into cairo - they should have staff at the cairo end who deal with the cargo (your cat will arrive as cargo).
they may give you a number for the cargo office at cairo airport - a bit of patience may be needed but eventually you will find someone who can help.

the number of my vet when i was in cairo is 0020 127 362 402 - Dr Rafik. (rafiknashed@hotmail.com) - he was great and helped me loads.
he might be able to help you get your cats in.
during my time in cairo, i met a few people who brought their pets in and no one ever said it was hard (or bad).

Best advice is to check with BA.

Good luck - am sure the kitties will love it - mine did

Posts: 129 | From: cairo | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sally
Member # 956

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is talk of the quarantine laws changing. 3 months instead of 6
i think the pet scheme is unlikely for egypt for the foreseeable future but if they cut the quaratine time down to 3 months it will be good.
i have a friend who sent her cats from cairo to amsterdam for a short period before sending on to the uk - all to avoid quaratine.

Posts: 129 | From: cairo | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

UPDATE:
took my kitties to the vet today to start the jabs. The vet gave them a health check and one of my babies has got a heart murmur [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
The vet is doing further tests to get the full story and see whether she will be fit to travel. I have emailed Airpets to see what their view is.
Also, my vet wants to know what liaison she is expected to do with Airpets about the vetinary health certificate and export certificate as my vet is also a government vet and would have expected to do those things herself.
While I was there, she also spoke to DEFRA to get the official information on jabs and the only one mentioned on the fax was rabies. I think, therefore, that the cat flu and enteritis jabs are for the kennels purposes not Egyptian purposes.

I will keep you posted.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sally:
i have a friend who sent her cats from cairo to amsterdam for a short period before sending on to the uk - all to avoid quaratine.

I knew there was a way to cheat the system. Great! Did she make new vaccination records for her pets in HL?

It would be way more difficult to do that when you travel with your pet together as your passport clearly states to where you have been.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sally:

I knew there was a way to cheat the system. Great! Did she make new vaccination records for her pets in HL?

It would be way more difficult to do that when you travel with your pet together as your passport clearly states to where you have been.

I just ran that option via my vet and she said she's not sure but it might be illegal unless you keep them in the European country for 6 months.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Yes but that animal can't speak. [Big Grin] You ship it off to Holland, lodge it there for some time, vaccinations and make new papers (with EU animal passport). It should work that way. [Wink]

I know that if you want to ship an animal from the US to the EU you need to wait 30 days after the animal was giving the rabies shot. So maybe same regulation applies to bring a pet from the EU to the UK. Ask your vet for the specific requirements.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Yes but that animal can't speak. [Big Grin] You ship it off to Holland, lodge it there for some time, vaccinations and make new papers (with EU animal passport). It should work that way. [Wink]

I know that if you want to ship an animal from the US to the EU you need to wait 30 days after the animal was giving the rabies shot. So maybe same regulation applies to bring a pet from the EU to the UK. Ask your vet for the specific requirements.

I'm not planning on bringing them back unless I have to. My main concern at the moment is if my little fluffy one will be allowed to travel [Frown]
The only requirement actually for Egypt jab-wise seems to be the rabies + 30 days.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Oh yes I hope your kitty is good to go. And if you and your pets are well-adjusting in Egypt than there's no way they ever gonna see Britain again! [Smile]

Since you like cats so much and you have some free time maybe you can get active with animal rescues in Cairo. They always need help.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Oh yes I hope your kitty is good to go. And if you and your pets are well-adjusting in Egypt than there's no way they ever gonna see Britain again! [Smile]

Since you like cats so much and you have some free time maybe you can get active with animal rescues in Cairo. They always need help.

Yes, its definately something I'm going to look into.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Wonderful.

Please another thing: I recall you wanted to visit the Christian trash people, the zabaleen remember? Please check out how close they are located to the construction site for Uptown Misr (Emaar project) at Mokattam Hills. I wonder if this project will interfere with the life and work of the zabaleen. Thank you.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Wonderful.

Please another thing: I recall you wanted to visit the Christian trash people, the zabaleen remember? Please check out how close they are located to the construction site for Uptown Misr (Emaar project) at Mokattam Hills. I wonder if this project will interfere with the life and work of the zabaleens. Thank you.

Yes another member who rarely posts has offered to take me there - there is some family connection - when we are both in Egypt at the same time.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Great. You all have a safe travel to Egypt! [Smile]
eshtadiva
Member # 13742

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for eshtadiva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope your baby is okay to travel with you. Nothing worse than having a furbaby with a problem.
My vet here in Egypt can't believe the EU is so strange with the 6 month rule and 3 month. She said all they have to do is a blood test and they can tell if the animal is protected and does not have rabies.
Since I'm here for life and got all my furbabies here, I don't have to worry unless I need to go back to the states and that's not a big problem.
Good luck to you and your "kids".

Posts: 68 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Update: I am moving to Cairo on 29th November - a Thursday night. So, I asked the pet people if the cats could come the next night. Not possible.
PETS cannot come to Cairo when the cargo customs aren't there - and that means they cannot be brought into Cairo ON A FRIDAY NIGHT!

(This is from London where they are required to travel CARGO - don't know the position if you are in the lucky circumstance of being able to bring them in the cabin with you.)

It does mean they will be in the same plane as me.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Oldbag, why cargo? I brought our dog from the US back to Europe under my seat. She was merely 5 kg (around 10 pds.) and spent most of her time in a soft petbag.

I think it's better if you can arrange anyway that you will be with them on the same plane.

Please ask Amr about cargo customs and verify the info you received. IMO they should work 7 days a week.

Well another month to go and you finally move for good. The dream is becoming reality! Good luck! [Smile]

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

TL - pets flying from the UK Heathrow have to travel out as cargo - I don't know if that's the case elsewhere, but you can only fly to Cairo from Heathrow.

British Airways also insist that you use a specialist pet travel agent - which is better anyway because they run round doing all the paperwork which I would have to do myself otherwise.

Even with Egyptair - if it weren't for British law - they can only travel in the cabin IF the animal + container weighs less than 5kg AND measures
no more than 45x35x20 cms, if you look at this it means you are packing your cat FLAT with no room for it to turn around or anything. My boy weighs 5.2kg without a cage, and my girl weighs 4.2kg without a cage so they would fail the weight test let alone I wouldn't want them in such a small container for so many hours (they have to 'check in' 4 hours before the flight for a vet check, and who knows how long they will be in cargo for).

The pet travel agent confirmed with Cairo that the customs officers relevant to pets - because its cargo - do not work Friday night.

When the pets come off the plane, they are taken to the cargo terminal.

I know it seems stupid - and it would be cheaper for me to buy them a first class seat each - but them's the rules [Frown]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Beleive me with EgyptAir you would have less difficulties (about having extra baggage or animal transportation they are usually much more flexible and negotiable) and also Egypt has way less restrictions than the UK or an UK air carrier when it comes to your pets. I know about the weight and size requirements and when we checked in at NY airport they didn't even look inside the bag to check on my animal. When we arrived at FRA airport no one bothered either - I could have smuggled exotic wildlife! I had my dog *drugged up* so she was quiet during the flight. I took her out couple of times to give her some water and changed towels inside the bag but other than that the ten hour flight went smoothly. My three kids demanded way more attention! [Big Grin]

I remember that airlines have restrictions on how many pets are able to fly cargo on one flight so you have to book asap. Other airlines don't allow any pets inside the cabin.

And Oldbag, there is hardly any paperwork to do. Have your pets up to date on shots, rabies booster given well in advance (at least a month before you fly out) and shortly before traveling you need to get a certificate from the vet stating that your pet is in good condition to fly.

We still had to purchase a ticket for our dog so she was able to fly with us in the cabin (it was something like 90,00 US-$).

I am not sure about pet carriers and how much they charge. Did you get a quote from them already?

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Heathrow is a class of its own when it comes to security [Frown]
Last time I came to Cairo - end of September, once we had checked in at Heathrow, there was a queue extending outside the building and doubling back on itself to get through the security gate into the departure lounge - regardless of what airline you are flying with - it took nearly 2 hours to get through - and you are allowed only 1 bag through security - of a given maximum size - no separate handbag or anything. There's no way on this planet I could get them through (aside from being unable to carry the weight!)

web page

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Oldbag, I am pretty sure you can check-in your kitties already the day before you fly out. Of course they will charge you for lodging but hey I think it's less stressful for you. Just make sure you are able to verify that your pets will be on your plane with you.

Yes and I know Heathrow airport, I've been there couple of times (my ex lived there) but this was all before 9/11.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

The babies have had all their jabs - in the UK there is consular paperwork to do and all sorts - the whole thing is costing a fortune. Believe me, this is the way it happens in the UK. Every part of life in the UK is monitored and collated. We are the most watched society in the developed world and probably the whole world. Now, every phone call anyone makes or receives is logged - not the content but the time of day, owner of the phone, duration of the call, where the call came from etc.
The pet agents collect the babies 7 days in advance, provide the pet carrier (I'm getting a double one with a wire partition, so they both have their own section but can see each other and press next to each other for comfort if they need it, but can't fight - my girl gets incredibly aggressive even taking her to the vets).
They do all the paperwork, they get inspected by the vets, they are not allowed to fly if the vet won't let them either because of health or if there is anything wrong with the environmental controls on the aircraft.
Oh yeah, and they take the pets to the airport and check them in and do all that stuff as well. I won't see them before I fly. I'm only contacted if they don't make it onto my flight.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
That's horrible to hear. I would think that the UK doesn't care that strict unless the animal is trying to enter the country.

Well I am not going to ask you about the money issue again..... it must be really depressing.

From Germany it's so much easier and affordable to get your pet to Egypt.

Sorry for all the headache and unconvenience. [Frown]

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

LOL - I'll remember to get born in Germany next time round [Big Grin]
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oldbag,if you need a good vet here I can give you some contacts. One lives in 6th October too.
Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Thanks SatanMMDI
I think we have a 6O vet contact - one of my friend's has been there with her cat and says its immaculate.

One thing - I am asking my friends to get in some cat litter and cat food ready for their arrival, now to help the cats settle as I guess they will be in Stress Central when they arrive, I need stuff as similar to ordinary cat litter and Felix or Go Cat cat food as possible - do you have any recommendations? I guess you can get 'westernized' brands in Carrefour or Metro?

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Oldbag don't know what kind of products they have right now available but I posted this article already a year ago on this board:

October 2006

Pet Care Industry Is Taking Off In Egypt

The pet care industry is taking off in Egypt, but local producers are being held back by inconsistent quality and import biases

By Kimberly Adams

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001044

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Ok thanks TL
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That's horrible to hear. I would think that the UK doesn't care that strict unless the animal is trying to enter the country.

Well I am not going to ask you about the money issue again..... it must be really depressing.

From Germany it's so much easier and affordable to get your pet to Egypt.

It sounds like a lot of trouble indeed. [Frown] I took my cat with me the last time I went to Egypt, it cost me 25 Euros (for the cat in the cabin) and all I needed was the vaccination certificate, which nobody in Cairo bothered to check anyway.

But Germany is extremely fuzzy and bureaucratic when it comes to taking a cat into the country. You need to send blood samples to a special lab in Germany, then wait until they get approved, then wait for another period for no apparent reason at all, and the whole process is not really that cheap either.

So how did your cats get settled and used to the different food and litter, oldbag? [Cool]

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
She will travel with her kitties very shortly. Good luck with everything, Oldbag! [Smile]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Yes, they will leave me on 22nd November to spend 7 days in Heathrow before leaving on the same flight as me ISA [Big Grin] but in the cargo hold [Frown]
Member # 11766

Your not by any chance using Cheryl from Air Pets?
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by satanmademedoit:
Your not by any chance using Cheryl from Air Pets?

I'm using Liz of Airpets.

They've just been collected in the van - rather traumatic I'm afraid.

I'm gonna go and visit them at Heathrow - probably on Monday afternoon - just so they know they're not abandoned and to see how they are. My little girl is so fierce and angry and my boy will just be scared stiff.

ISA we will be on the same plane next Thursday evening.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Well I called the pet place on Friday to see if they were ok, and the 'kennel maid' said yes they were fine, but kept kicking their bedding on the floor.

I can see the advantage of them not being in the flat while the last bits of packing and decorating get done. They would have been traumatized yesterday with the chaos around them.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Yes I think so too, Oldbag. Anyway you are so busy right now the days are going by fast and before you know you will be reunited again with your pets - in Egypt!!! [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com