EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » More police cruelty: Man Killed For Filing Charges Of Corruption Against Officer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More police cruelty: Man Killed For Filing Charges Of Corruption Against Officer
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man Killed For Filing Charges Of Corruption Against Officer

August 7, 2007 11:22 a.m. EST
Joseph S. Mayton - AHN Middle East Correspondent

Cairo, Egypt (AHN) - An Egyptian police officer suspended for allegedly taking bribes killed the man who filed the charges against him. Nasser Sidiq Gadallah, 39, was thrown from his 3rd floor flat by the officer and 15 of his colleagues on Tuesday at his Giza apartment.

Gadallah died instantaneously, reports indicated.

Ahmed Al Nawawy, the officer who was suspended, had been on leave with the police force after Gadallah filed a report against an officer who called himself "Amir."

It was discovered that Nawawy was the man who took money and gifts from citizens so he would not cause them harm, Ikhwanonline reported.

According to the report, Nawawy and colleagues decided to pay Gadallah where they would "teach him to file reports against one of them."

The officers broke into the apartment where they trashed much of it before dragging Gadallah on the floor and threw him out the window.

After the incident, residents of the area trashed the unmarked vehicle the officers had driven to the Giza flat.

Gadallah, a Christian, was a plumber and was the father of three children.

Egypt has been struggling with corruption for many years and the police force has been one of the main culprits of money laundering for "protection."

AHN's Manar Ammar contributed to this report in Cairo.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7008128686

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This article may or may not be true, but this news source is not trustworthy.
Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I have bad experiences regarding the Policemen in Cairo, those are:
- One police gave me wrong road direction.
- One police asked me went away from the Police office cause I waited my friend who was in it.
- One police didnt let me stand a long time in front of a Journalist office. [Frown]

Posts: 756 | From: ...be solution... | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graf_Genn:
This article may or may not be true, but this news source is not trustworthy.

Maybe this source is more convenient for you:

Egypt's prosecutor orders police officers

The Associated Press
Published: August 8, 2007

CAIRO, Egypt: Egypt's prosecutor general on Wednesday ordered the arrest of three police officers on charges of murder for their involvement in the death of a man who died after plunging from a four-story balcony, a police official said.

Nasser Sadiq Gadallah's family said he was thrown to his death by a group of police officers who burst into his apartment early Tuesday morning, but police said he fell while trying to leap from one balcony to another.

Along with the three officers ordered arrested, four other officers also were being investigated, said the police official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

Gadallah's family alleges that police broke into the apartment and demanded he withdraw a complaint 39-year-old plumber had filed against one of their colleagues for stealing money from him about week before. When he refused, they threw him off the balcony, the family said Wednesday.

"They broke into Nasser's apartment where he was with his wife and three children and four of them (police) picked him up and threw him off the balcony," said his brother, Gad Sadiq Gadallah.

Today in Africa & Middle East

U.S. kills dozens in raids on Shiite area of Baghdad

Morocco and capitalism: A beautiful friendship

Police fight to remove West Bank settlers
"He landed outside. People saw it and rushed in. Some of them fought with police, who then fled the scene," the brother added.

But police said they were in the neighborhood investigating a separate street fight when they noticed Gadallah fleeing into his apartment from the scene. He fell after trying to escape out of his window, police said.

The prosecutor general's order to detain and investigate the officers a day after Gadallah's death was a surprisingly swift official response, human rights experts said, attributing it to the widespread media attention to the case received by independent newspapers and satellite channels.

"It's rare you get all the information right after the incident takes place," said Gasser Abdel Razeq, the director of regional relations for Middle East and North Africa of the New York-based Human Rights Watch. "Usually people are tortured and die in police custody and it takes a long time for people to find out what happened."

"In this case, it happened in the victim's house with lots of witnesses," he said.

Prosecutors are under increasing pressure to act quickly after several reports of police brutality were published on blogs and in local media over the past year, Abdel Razeq said.

According to a report released Wednesday by the Egyptian Organization of Human Rights, the abuse and torture of Egyptians by their security forces has become increasingly common.

"Torture in Egypt has become a widespread phenomenon inside police stations and state security detention centers, as well as in prisons with the aim of forcing confessions from suspects," said the report entitled "Torture in Egypt: a Crime without Punishment."

The report detailed 567 documented cases of torture by police in Egypt between 1993 and 2007, with 167 of them resulting in deaths. In July 2007 alone, the organization recorded 26 cases of torture and two deaths.

The organization attributed the phenomenon to the presence of emergency laws in Egypt since 1981 that give police officers wide-ranging powers and allow them to operate with impunity.

____

Associated Press writers Lee Keath and Maamoun Youssef contributed to this report.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/08/africa/ME-GEN-Egypt-Balcony-Death.php

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Heart:
Oh, I have bad experiences regarding the Policemen in Cairo, those are:
- One police gave me wrong road direction.
- One police asked me went away from the Police office cause I waited my friend who was in it.
- One police didnt let me stand a long time in front of a Journalist office. [Frown]

No offensive, but how are those bad? [Confused]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com