EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » AIDS in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AIDS in Egypt
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 4 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised (not sure why! I guess because its in Africa and a developing country) to find that Egypt has one of the lowest incidences of HIV/AIDS in the world!

"Egypt on the north eastern coast of Africa is best known for its pyramids and its ancient civilization. It also has one of the lowest incidences of HIV/AIDS - less than 0.1% of the adult population."
http://www.soschildrensvillages.org.uk/aids-africa/projects-by-country/egypt.htm

The following report has global figures.
http://data.unaids.org/pub/EpiReport/2006/20061121_EPI_FS_GlobalFacts_en.pdf

While there might be some problems gathering statistics in this region, I can't imagine that they're more difficult to collect than in many other regions on the world.

But its not all good news in terms of behaviours:

http://www.unaids.org/en/Regions_Countries/Countries/egypt.asp

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
western and central europe is only 0.3%,

north african and middle eastern region at 0.2%

How come Mr Amr? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought most Egyptians didn't take HIV/Aids tests, so how do they know who really has it?
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pseudovellum:
western and central europe is only 0.3%,

north african and middle eastern region at 0.2%

How come Mr Amr? [Big Grin]

The low prevalence in Europe is definitely attributed to awareness and education. Islam is saving the Muslims. It is no secret that the majority of the ummah are illiterate. Awareness and education is so crucial that at one point Thailand was assumed to have the same fate as Sub-Saharan Africa, however the government there went on a relentless campaign and they have been very successful.

Have you guys read the latest life expectancy chart? Some African countries have an average life expectancy of 32 years. That is shocking to say the least. Andoraa was ranked #1 at 85 years of age, the USA was ranked at a disappointing 44, and Jordan was the Arab country that fared the best ranking at 40. Egypt has a life expectancy of 72 years. The countries with low expectancy are devastated by Aids.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you mean 44 years life expectancy for the US?

[Eek!]
or with HIV?
this is shocking

--------------------
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pseudovellum:
you mean 44 years life expectancy for the US?

[Eek!]
or with HIV?
this is shocking

No, the U.S. ranked 44th in all the countries surveyed; so 43 countries had longer average life-spans than the U.S. Which is surprising (and a shame?) since we are supposed to be such a wealthy, developed, educated nation. Obviously we are doing something very wrong.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
WOW really??

who are the top 10?
anyone know?

--------------------
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andorra, a tiny country in the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain, had the longest life expectancy, at 83.5 years, according to the Census Bureau. It was followed by Japan, Macau, San Marino and Singapore.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/health/1500AP_Life_Expectancy.html

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trollin':
Andorra, a tiny country in the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain, had the longest life expectancy, at 83.5 years, according to the Census Bureau. It was followed by Japan, Macau, San Marino and Singapore.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/health/1500AP_Life_Expectancy.html

What's also alarming is that the US infant mortality rate is also higher than many countries, including Cuba.

Source: Trollin's article

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Gone are the days of the middle class, in my opinion. You are well-off, or you are near-poor or poor. There seems to be little in-between, and *health insurance* (and therefore health care) is a huge determining factor of this, in my opinion.

Sadly.

I'll never forget a friend of mine from Ghana, thrilled out of his mind to make it to the U.S. to live, only to be shocked and saddened and frightened at the fact he saw homeless people on the street outside the airport in NY. He couldn't believe there were homeless people in the super-wealthy U.S.

It's really shameful.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was talking to a Kuwaiti man in Cairo who had seen me give 1LE to an ancient woman on the street who looked totally desparate.
He asked me if we have beggars and homeless people in England and was totally amazed when I said yes.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by oldbag:
I was talking to a Kuwaiti man in Cairo who had seen me give 1LE to an ancient woman on the street who looked totally desparate.
He asked me if we have beggars and homeless people in England and was totally amazed when I said yes.

Isn't it sad? Just breaks my heart.
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

In all honesty if you are a bum in America then you probably worked hard to achieve that status. A plumber makes $25 an hour a master plumber makes 6 figures a year easily just signing of on paperwork.

Arabs who work in grocery stores easily earn $500 a week under the table(no taxes).

galmarriedtoegyptian
Member # 10697

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for galmarriedtoegyptian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't trust the outcome of that census. It is a privately sexual culture...no one admits to doing it! So, if they did have sex where could they openly, and comfortably, go get tested to find out? They couldn't. And even if they did know they had it - who could they openly tell? No one. It is too much of a stigma. Believe me, that number is higher - it is just not accounted for.

--------------------
yup

Posts: 285 | From: egypt | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by ameriegypt:
I don't trust the outcome of that census. It is a privately sexual culture...no one admits to doing it! So, if they did have sex where could they openly, and comfortably, go get tested to find out? They couldn't. And even if they did know they had it - who could they openly tell? No one. It is too much of a stigma. Believe me, that number is higher - it is just not accounted for.

This member just made a whole lot of sense. I visited Ethiopia and the majority of the people did not look well. Slim is fine and so is skinny and it was just different with many of them.

I also learned that many young people were parent-less, they would say that their parent's got 'sick' and died, aids was never discussed, but at every hotel there were pamphlets (+cardboards) telling of the situation, the bedrooms also included condoms.

I believe such was mandated by the UN, I also want to emphasize that most of the people i met were orphans (parents passed away).

Who knows perhaps they learned from their parents mistakes.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
quote:
Originally posted by ameriegypt:

This member just made a whole lot of sense. I visited Ethiopia and the majority of the people did not look well. Slim is fine and so is skinny and it was just different with many of them.

I also learned that many young people were parent-less, they would say that their parent's got 'sick' and died, aids was never discussed, but at every hotel there were pamphlets (+cardboards) telling of the situation, the bedrooms also included condoms.

I believe such was mandated by the UN, I also want to emphasize that most of the people i met were orphans (parents passed away).

Who knows perhaps they learned from their parents mistakes.

Sobriquet, in a country where most people starve do you think they have financially the capability to purchase condoms?

And your hotel bedroom was stucked up with free condoms - it doesn't mean that million of regular folks have access to it like you do.

I am sure you also went outside of Addis Ababa to rural areas to see how people vegetating.... I wouldn't even call it living.

Seriously, even with strong awareness campaigns Aids is and will always be the no. 1 death reason on the African continent - and unfortunately medication in form of a vaccination in nowhere near in sight.... [Frown]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call:

0800 700 8000

for the HIV awareness and counseling hotline

http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=8867

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life is good
Member # 12116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life is good         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People tend not to seek advice or testing in Egypt as the majority of health professionals are not empathetic.
AIDs is not fully understood.
People are being locked away here if they test positive.
Many are locked in Psychiatric hospitals.
They are seen as a danger to society and unclean!

Posts: 316 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a long and rocky way to educate people on HIV in Egypt. I haven't had a clue that the hotline is out there. I am just trying to spread information and god only knows some people will pick up the phone.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com