EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egyptian man, stranded in Gaza, swims home

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian man, stranded in Gaza, swims home
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptian man, stranded in Gaza, swims home

Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:01PM BST

ISMAILIA, Egypt (Reuters) - A young Egyptian man swam along the Mediterranean coast from the Gaza Strip to Egypt overnight after almost two years of living without papers in the Palestinian enclave, police sources said on Sunday.

Egyptian police found Mohamed Salman Omeira Awda about one km (half a mile) inland on Sunday morning after his long swim and detained him for questioning.

Awda told them that he entered Gaza in September 2005, when Israeli troops left the area. For a few days border controls between Gaza and Egypt broke down and people crossed in both directions without going through immigration procedures.

But once in Gaza he could not return because he did not have any identity documents, the sources added.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKL2663690020070826

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just surprised he could swim.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean, smucks?? can't egyptian men swim?? or do you mean this distance he swam?
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course some can but I always heard the majority cannot, the ones I have met do not know how. Yes, of course the distance is commendable, indeed.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlebev
Member # 13788

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlebev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what id like to know how did he know his way back?????? dont suppose he had a satnav with him in his swim trunks
Posts: 197 | From: hertford england | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats why he waited for 2 years:

He had to learn how to swim first!!

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mlebev:
what id like to know how did he know his way back?????? dont suppose he had a satnav with him in his swim trunks

Perhaps he kept the coastline on his left?
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you all think? How many km did he had to swim?

Amazing that he wasn't detected earlier.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

Perhaps 1 KM at most, that's how close rafah's coast is to Egyptian territory.
Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
quote:

Yes but I would think that this specific coast area is heavily patrolled so I am quite certain he went in the water well before that. Was he swimming throughout the darkness only?
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 10 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
quote:

Yes but I would think that this specific coast area is heavily patrolled so I am quite certain he went in the water well before that. Was he swimming throughout the darkness only?
I'm not sure Lilly but swimming in the dark is a logical possibility. I don't think he could've swam more than 2 KM and i base this on the fact that professional athletes in the triathlon swim for 3.80 KM in the swimming part and these men are champions of endurance.

My other proof is Lost (the TV show) [Big Grin] There was this episode in which Jack, Kate and Sawyer were kidnapped to another adjacent island, one that seemed no farther than 2 KM away. Now if my boy Sawyer and Kate couldn't swim that distance(back to their Island) then there is no chance in hell this guy could've swam more than 1-1.5 KM [Big Grin] Ahahahahahaha

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Alright alright, Sobriquet, I guess after all it wasn't such a heroic act of this particular Egyptian man although it made a great headline under 'odd news' [Big Grin] .

Wonder if more poeple will follow his example now....

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com