EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Household Appliances etc.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Household Appliances etc.
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I need advice on where to buy household appliances (fridge, stove etc.) as well as some furniture.

I have lots of experience buying smaller things for the house, but I never had to get this sort of stuff, so I'm a bit clueless. Any advice on stores and prices would be appreciated.
[Smile]

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you want high priced imported appliances, the best place to go is Abdul Aziz Street downtown, you can save at least 200 LE on things like fridges. And from personal experience, it doesn't make that make that much difference if you don't take an Egyptian along with you, as long as you can get by in Arabic, the prices seem to be fairly standard. It's worth taking a stroll around and getting some idea of what is available before you buy though. I usually try about 10-15 shops and then if I can remember which offered the best price go back, or just keep trying until I get what I want at the price I want to pay. Some people have advised bargaining, but it doesn't seem to have much effect on the prices now.

Furniture really depends on your taste and your budget. Again I just wandered round, this time in Nasr City, until I found what I wanted. I would dearly love to have things made, but it seems very difficult to get people to make just what you want to a quality you want.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow I knew you would answer and post some useful information in this thread. [Wink]

No, I don't want high price imported appliances, Egyptian is fine. I'd even buy used if it's in very good condition and quality.
What you write sounds good, whereabout is Abdul Aziz street? Is it in that area downtown where the household and department stores are?

As for furniture, I will probably end up having it made, since most of the stuff I've seen here does not appeal to me at all. I like it either very simple and elegant or kind of ethnic, and I love to have a combination of both in my home; I hate the heavy Egyptian stuff and the faux French furniture. I have a friend who I could ask to make some things for me, and I know it would be exactly as I like it and also very high quality. But I need a few things fast, so I'm planning to buy some kitchen furniture and a few shelves for the time being.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reserved
Member # 14062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reserved         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like furniture, it gets in the way
Posts: 173 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abdul Aziz Street is off Medan Al-Attaba. [Smile] It's an area that sells wholesale stuff - the Wakalat Al-Balah of household appliances - which is how they keep the prices down I guess. Most of the stuff there is made in Egypt under license, and it does have guarantees.

People have said that Taki is good for kitchen units. They will come and measure up your place and make it to measure.

If you have a friend who makes good quality stuff for a reasonable price, please let me know. I'm still looking for someone who would be reliable.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try MFFCO in Giza/Haram area, and we bought our living room stuff from Tarek Trade in Mohandisseen. Don't like all the fancy stuff either (especially the gold stuff), and went for pure comfort, and as little carving in anything wood, for the dusting factor...lol
Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pressure makes diamonds
Member # 14028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pressure makes diamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is alot of nice deals at carfor did you go there and check things out? i bought my stuff from there when i came to egypt got nice deals on tv and others
amr

--------------------
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and you get rid of him all weekend.
-- Zenna Schaffer
Some folks are wise and some otherwise.
-- Josh Billings

Posts: 1499 | From: Dark Side of the Moon | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com