EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Question on directions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question on directions
helwa
Member # 13301

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for helwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello---
I'm confused about the Autostrade. Is that the same as the "King Khaled motorway"? Also, does the "Ring Road" by Maadi have a a name? Is the Ring Road the road that runshorizontally (west to east) that leads from Maadi to New Cairo?

Thank you
Helwa

Posts: 36 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feel love
Member # 13537

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Feel love   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
i dont now what is king khaled..., but Autostrade is a fast circle way actually to serve the airport to make it easily to reach at time.ring road is actually ring one as if you start it and tried to finish it you will find your self at the same point and cairo in the middle.i hope that help,

--------------------
Kata

Posts: 211 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Feel love:
ring road is actually ring one as if you start it and tried to finish it you will find your self at the same point and cairo in the middle.i hope that help,

Is that so? [Confused] Don't let the name fool you. Maybe that's the plan but the status quo is a different story.

You know how we Egyptians NEVER have maps for our country until we, oops, stumble upon them online on all kinds of foreign websites? [Cool] Now, there should be a map of New Cairo only on Google Earth at the moment, but it's not a clear image, I mean hey, even for real it's still a building dump [Big Grin] , but I have looked everywhere and they don't have a map of New Cairo sold in Egypt just yet. And being my curious self, I decided to check out the situation myself.

So I'll tell you what I know from a "woman's" eye view. I was curious and gutsy enough, against all truck accidents on the Ring Road, to pack my kids and take a ride around Cairo at Iftar time a couple of weeks ago, so the usually crowded way with cars driven by manic obsessive Tarzans and trucks without lights driven by junks dreaming of chasing butterflies, was virtually an empty road.

So my impression was the following: Imagine Heliopolis is in the east of Cairo, and Maadi is down south and then Giza in the west. It seems to me that the part of the Ring Road used so far goes and makes almost half a ring connecting the two ends from outside Cairo, and along that arch from the outside (inside is Cairo as we know it), you see all kinds of new neighborhoods, including New Cairo (1st, 3rd and 5th settlements), Katameya, Mirage, Al-Rehab, etc..

I even drove thinking if I'd start and keep on driving I will end up at the same point, taking in mind that it was a "Ring Road". Instead I ended up at a dead end which was a construction site (obviously still working on the road), and I had to go off the road, make a U-turn from under it, and go back home thinking ring my ass.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
but Autostrade is a fast circle

And that's not a circle either. It is (was [Big Grin] ) just a fast road from Maadi down south via Nasr City direction Airport.

7ad ye7darna hena ya reggala of Cairo residents. LaZeeZ, Amr, Vanilla, Esso7, Hetsho, Primak? [Confused]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by helwa:

I'm confused about the Autostrade. Is that the same as the "King Khaled motorway"?

I think you mean King Faisal Street. They are two different streets.

quote:
Also, does the "Ring Road" by Maadi have a a name?
Yes, it's called the Ring Road by Maadi.

quote:
Is the Ring Road the road that runshorizontally (west to east) that leads from Maadi to New Cairo?

Does my first reply answer your question maybe?
Egy_mada
Member # 11992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egy_mada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello All,

Yes, King Khalid motorway is the autostrade, you can refer to google maps to be sure of that.
It is the road connecting 15th May City up to Helwan, Maadi, Citadel, Abbasia, Nasr City and ends at Sheraton buildings.
Sure it is connecting to the airport.

The ring road is a real ring road surrounding Cairo but it is cut (not completed) at the Pyramids Area because Unicef refused to close this area near the pyramids.
So it started at Mansouria Area (near Pyramids) and goes in a real circle and ends at Cairo-Alex. Dessert Road.
Later at this point it was extended to connect to Oasis road (or 6th October City Road).
The ring road moves as follow: from west to east ... Mansouria -> Mariotia -> Monieb bridge (over the Nile) -> Maadi -> Autostrade -> Kattamia -> (and from south to north)5th Settlement -> 1st Settlement -> Suez Road (Rehab) -> Ismalia Road -> (from east to west) Salam city -> El Marg -> Mostorod (ismalia Agri. Road) -> El Kanatir el khairia -> Shoubra El Khima (Alex. Agri. Road) -> El Wara2 Bridge (over the nile) -> (from north to south) Imbaba -> Lebanon Square -> Faisal Street -> Alex.-Cairo Dessert Road ......now extended to Dream Land and Ashgar compound and then 6th October.

Posts: 55 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egy_mada
Member # 11992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egy_mada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Ring road is a real ring road but it is cut in the south west part (where Pyramids are located). it takes you about 2 hrs to cover the whole road at 90km/hr.
Now they are starting to build another ring road wider than this.
the second one will connect 6th October -> Helwan -> Shourok -> 10th Ramadan -> Banha -> Sadat -> 6th October again.
that is why the area between two roads is getting high in price, check Madinaty prices for example.

Posts: 55 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Egy_Mada, thank you so much for that. I have never heard the name King Khaled for the Autostrad before. Is that name actually deliberately given to the road to piss off Sono?

Never mind.

So the "Ring Road" also includes the "Mehwar Road" and the old roads connecting the two?

And that "Even Bigger Ring Road" is also new to me. Wow. That should be fun to keep expanding in the desert. I have spent this holiday in the 5th Settlement and what a difference from "old new" Cairo. At least 5 degrees Celsius less and so nice and breezy. I heard it's several meters higher than Cairo. My ears pop a bit when I drive down the road to Heliopolis. How high are Kattameya Heights then? Any idea?

Wow, Cairo!

Egy_mada
Member # 11992

Rate Member
MK, I live in El Rehab City, it is higher than Mokattam Heights, the air here is so clear compared to Down-town Cairo. But I am not sure actually how hight it is.

In Egypt, you have many well known names and maps names.
i.e. Tahrir Square name is changed many years ago to Sadat Square. but nobody mention this.
and so on . . . . .

Mehwar road and Ring Road are connected at the part near Lebanon Square.
If you are in Lebanon Sqaure forwarding to Mehawar then moving right will finally lead me to Rehab (45 min.), moving left will lead me to Remaya Square and then Pyramids (15 min.) moving ahead will lead you to 6th October.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Egy_mada:
Tahrir Square name is changed many years ago to Sadat Square.

Hahahahahahahahahaha! You must be kidding me!

Are those people nuts? It's like changing The Pyramids' names and calling them The Cubes or something!

Can't those government weirdos just spend their time working instead?!!

Excellent info ya Egy_Mada. Thanks a lot.

Egy_mada
Member # 11992

Rate Member
MK, I am not kidding...
Check the sign near beside the old building of foriegn affairs in your way to Kasr El Nil Bridge (on your left side).
The sign Says 'Sadat Square'

Egy_mada
Member # 11992

Rate Member
MK, I am not kidding...
Check the sign beside the old building of foriegn affairs in your way to Kasr El Nil Bridge (on your left side).

Feel love
Member # 13537

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Feel love   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MK, its seems that you are from another world or living abroad.i wish you come back safely.and the ring road is not completed (yes i agree)but i started from mou2f el 3asher(el salam city)......to el maadi, and throught subsidiaries roads i turn back through el Kattameya road..........to el rehab and after....back to mou2f el 3asher(behind the air port).i tried that,belived it or not.

--------------------
Kata

Posts: 211 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reserved
Member # 14062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reserved         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
MK, its seems that you are from another world or living abroad.i wish you come back safely.

[Big Grin]
Posts: 173 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reserved
Member # 14062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reserved         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
MK, I am not kidding...
Check the sign near beside the old building of foriegn affairs in your way to Kasr El Nil Bridge (on your left side).

Next time I'm in Cairo I'll ask the taxi driver to take me to Sadat square and watch the look on his face [Cool]
Posts: 173 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pressure makes diamonds
Member # 14028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pressure makes diamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by reserved:
quote:
MK, I am not kidding...

Next time I'm in Cairo I'll ask the taxi driver to take me to Sadat square and watch the look on his face [Cool]
That Would Be ok really if you will pay [Smile]
amr

Posts: 1499 | From: Dark Side of the Moon | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by reserved:

Make sure you hail that taxi in Tahrir Square.
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
MK, its seems that you are from another world or living abroad.i wish you come back safely.and the ring road is not completed (yes i agree)but i started from mou2f el 3asher(el salam city)......to el maadi, and throught subsidiaries roads i turn back through el Kattameya road..........to el rehab and after....back to mou2f el 3asher(behind the air port).i tried that,belived it or not.

Yes you guessed it right, I'm from another world.

I mean you said it yourself, you said you have to take some subsidiary roads to get back to your point, so it's not a complete circle just yet.

I think I got interrupted at the point that EgyMada mentioned, near the pyramids (it was dark). And I never knew that that Mehwar Road is officially part of the Ring Road. Does the Mehwar Raod have a new name too? Let me guess.. The Mubarak Forever YaKlab Road?

The Ring Road is a good effort, but the road signs are as usual crappier than crap itself. Also, there are certain very dangerous spots on that road, on which you can easily slip and lose control, especially if it's raining or near freezing temperatures.

Egy_mada
Member # 11992

Rate Member
MK,
Mehwar is not a part of Ring Road, they cross each other near Lebanon Square

helwa
Member # 13301

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for helwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello---
Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate the replies---it clarifies things for me.
Best,

Helwa

Posts: 36 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com