EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Serious question to ES posters located in Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Serious question to ES posters located in Cairo
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted that article yesterday and I am wondering how much you are all affected by that?

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015004

Do you suffer from asthmatic or any other related problems which are caused by the heavy pollution in Cairo?

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suffer from mild asthma as it is normally but when we travel to Cairo it always seems to get worse. My inhaler is never far from reach.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your reply, Smuckers.

I also suffer from mild asthma since I was a child but I am on proper medication. I do catch quickly bronchitis especially in the weather we have here right now in Germany; it's cold and wet.

I had couple of strong asthma attacks back in Cairo while living there but all because I only used an immediate inhaler which releaved my heavy breathing and no further medication.

I am wondering how would I do now in Cairo as I am already affected? I surely wanna move back there so what are the safest areas to live in? I assume new developments outside of Cairo and away from big factories are the best places to consume considerably healthy, low-polluted air?

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for spasm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there ,

If I’ll ever get the chance I’ll chose Northern Sinai to be my home town , I heard it has on of the lowest pollution percentages in the world , but unfortunately this governorate isn't fully developed

--------------------
painter

Posts: 92 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keep Smiling
Member # 14274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keep Smiling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a matter of where are egyptions centralized(its all around the Nile river) 1/3 of the country enlargement and with almost 75 million member, of course we suffer.
Posts: 69 | From: Egypt, | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I understand but with a more improved system system in place the suffering could be way less.

According to Wikiedia Cairo ranks number 1 in the most polluted cities of the world :

Most Polluted World Cities by PM[19]
Particulate
matter,
μg/m³ (2004) City
169 Cairo, Egypt
150 Delhi, India
128 Kolkata, India (Calcutta)
125 Taiyuan, China
123 Chongqing, China
109 Kanpur, India
109 Lucknow, India
104 Jakarta, Indonesia
101 Shenyang, China

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_pollution

[Frown]

Keep Smiling
Member # 14274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keep Smiling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a city in china called big mango is the most polluted cities of the world, thats why many people say big mango for every shity things.
Posts: 69 | From: Egypt, | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
I posted that article yesterday and I am wondering how much you are all affected by that?

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015004

Do you suffer from asthmatic or any other related problems which are caused by the heavy pollution in Cairo?

I find after 5 days in Cairo, my chest starts feeling a bit bunged up. So while I would love to live in the middle in theory, I decided to live in 6th October when I move there in a few weeks where the air is clearer.

I suffered from asthma when I was a kid - darn it I had to give up smoking when I was 12 [Wink] - so don't want to bring it back.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but TL, you also suffer asthma, dont u? [Confused]
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Yes I do. I was hoping to find someone online who gives me some great tips which areas around Cairo are less polluted.

I won't move anywhere else as I love this city, I'll find everything there and also my kids have to attend an international school.

Please Oldbag, let me know how you are doing healthwise in your new place.

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never lived in Cairo nor do I have any problems with asthma but I did notice a difference in my sinuses while visiting. I was very congested especially at night and couldn't sleep without taking decongestant medication. When I went back to Alex I was magically healed. I really do believe it was the air pollution that caused my sinus problems.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TL, i think Alrehab is less polluted but you can have no water instead [Wink]
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is that about no water ?!
I live here, I have water, I just washed my hair!

Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Living in Cairo Is the Same as Smoking a Pack a Day

By Leslie-Ann Boctor, IPS News

Posted October 23, 2007.

The average resident of Cairo ingests more than 20 times the acceptable level of air pollution a day, the same as a pack of cigarettes. Air pollution is so bad in Cairo that living in the sprawling city of 18 million residents is said to be akin to smoking 20 cigarettes a day. According to the World Health Organisation, the average Cairene ingests more than 20 times the acceptable level of air pollution a day.

A 2002 World Bank report estimates that pollution causes 2.42 billion dollars worth of environmental damage each year, about five percent of Egypt's annual gross domestic product.

Industry is to blame, in part, the worst offenders being factories that burn mazot for power. Mazot is the heavy oil left over after more valuable fuel products have been extracted from crude oil; when burnt, it emits substantial amounts of the greenhouse gases said to cause global warming.

The Ministry of the Environment continues to promise new measures to hold industry culprits accountable for air pollution, but has failed to put teeth into enforcement.

http://www.alternet.org/healthwellness/65852/

Oh god that's really depressing.... [Frown] [Frown]

Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So think about the people who live in Cairo AND smoke a pack a day. [Eek!]
Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karen36
Member # 1076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karen36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AND smoke shisha!
Posts: 219 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
locale
Member # 12632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for locale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just thinking the same thing, Alchemist!
Posts: 210 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jees, now I feel (cough cough cough) really bad. [Frown]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pressure makes diamonds
Member # 14028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pressure makes diamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist:

yeah think bout people who smoke 2 packs aday
Posts: 1499 | From: Dark Side of the Moon | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MA Shagadelic MOJO:
quote:

What music do you want at your funeral?
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
[Frown]
Pressure makes diamonds
Member # 14028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pressure makes diamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oldbag:
quote:
Originally posted by MA Shagadelic MOJO:
quote:

What music do you want at your funeral?
i dont think they would know for days so not sure if i care if i even would care for such music
i mean caring for rotten body ....

at least you get to be free finally
Amr

Posts: 1499 | From: Dark Side of the Moon | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Oh come on Amr, please don't talk like that.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

yeah dude, we'd all miss u on here in less than a few days!
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] , we're playing Evergrey man.
If you don't like it, don't come to the funeral!!

Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for henita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Hummmm...i know one who lives in Cairo and smokes 3 packs a day,if i remember well. [Wink]
Posts: 1339 | From: Om Leito | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pressure makes diamonds
Member # 14028

Rate Member
nah guys iam not feeling desperate house wife or what ever
just want to try new things like dieing
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and you get rid of him all weekend.
-- Zenna Schaffer
Some folks are wise and some otherwise.
-- Josh Billings

Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
^ I can help out with that dude [Big Grin] . You know how much I like you, I'd do anything!

Especially if it's killing you.

Pressure makes diamonds
Member # 14028

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Leito:
^ I can help out with that dude [Big Grin] . You know how much I like you, I'd do anything!

Especially if it's killing you.

if i want to count on some one to help on that
she would have to be at least 21 and blond with boobs
and she will kill me using other ways [Big Grin]

Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Hey, that is exactly my description. I'm your man, man.
Pressure makes diamonds
Member # 14028

Rate Member
are you A she NOW [Big Grin]

--------------------
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and you get rid of him all weekend.
-- Zenna Schaffer
Some folks are wise and some otherwise.
-- Josh Billings

Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
I'm a sheeeemale. I get to choose what I want to be [Big Grin] !

I also love juice.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com